Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member

Critique my diet!

Lots of good responses around here, I hope I can get some of the same advice!

Stats: 6'2" 189lbs 12% BF 26 yo.

Looking to get down to around 7 or 8% BF while preserving my LBM (I want to be able to cut to 174 for weigh in and box/maintain around 180). I am no longer a big weightlifter, as I box so I focus more on training, endurance, and then strength.

I workout using circuit training (machines, dumbells, and cardio) 4-5 times a week, 45-60 mins a day.

7:45 AM Shake consisting of 1 cup oats, 2 scoops of protein powder (50 grams) , bannana, and 2 tblspns natty PB (Cals - 990, P - 85g, C - 103g, F - 27g)

10:15 AM 6 oz chicken, 6 oz broccoli, handful of almonds (Cals - 270, P - 35g, C - 4, F - 12g)

12:45 PM 6 oz chicken, 3 eggs, 2 pieces of wheat bread (Cals - 400, P - 49g, C - 10, F - 18)

3:45 PM Protein Shake (around 50 grams), Bannana (Cals - 270, P - 50g, C - 26, F - 0)

6:45 PM 6oz of Tuna, handful of broccoli or spinach (Cals 250, P - 40g, C- 0, F-2)

7:30 - 60 min workout

9:00 PM PWO Protein Shake (50 grams), 1 apple (Cals - 270, P - 50, C - 20, F - 0)

Totals

Calories - 2450
    Protein - 310 grams
    Carbs - 163 grams
    Fats - 60 grams

Any mods or suggestions to it would be appreciated.

P.S. Currently my rat is on his 1st week of 100mg Prop EOD and 50mg Anavar ED, going 8 weeks.
    Last edited by Phreak101; 07-03-2006 at 12:46 PM.

copenhagen is offline Member
    i would take the natty pb out of meal 1 first off, also if you could list some macros it would be alot easier to critique you.

Bump...w/updated macros

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i would move the natty from meal one and stick it in your last meal and take that apple out. you could eat the apple with your 645 meal or before your workout.

at 345 i would take out teh shake and the nanner and go for whole foods. maybe 3 oz sweet potato and some beef or turkey breast. in any case the protein is absorbed too quickly and there isn't a solid low GI long releasing carb source there to add any benefit.

i would also add some carbs at 645, again the apple would work but maybe add 1/2 cup of oats as well.
    maybe try evening out those first two meals man, 1000 cals to 200 cals is a jump maybe for for 500 and 500 or something like that. see how your other meals are around 300... that is how each one should look generally.

when dropping body fat... i, along with others, try and stay away from low GI carbs (sugar ect.) yes fruit is good for you, but i might recommend removing it for a while and seeing how your body will react w/o it. you will save yourself room to add beneficial carbs in the meals where you exclude ones that will help you shed weight.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    maybe try evening out those first two meals man, 1000 cals to 200 cals is a jump maybe for for 500 and 500 or something like that. see how your other meals are around 300... that is how each one should look generally.
    I was thinking the same thing, but the guy who gave me this said since I work out at night, coupled with the 8 hour fast, that a calorie spike in the AM would be good to give my body all the nutrients it needs after being without food for so long...any ideas?

tinyguy2 is offline Member
    you dont need half of your daily calories in the morning. oatmeal and protein would be fine. Eat a shake in the middle of the night if you want to stay anabolic . Drink a bunch of water so you wake up in the middle of the night to pee and drink a shake such as casien and pb. I do it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    I was thinking the same thing, but the guy who gave me this said since I work out at night, coupled with the 8 hour fast, that a calorie spike in the AM would be good to give my body all the nutrients it needs after being without food for so long...any ideas?
    who gave it to you? and how well does he know your body? not saying i could possibly know it better, but you should be able to make an easy judgement call there. i don't see a need for a "calorie spike" (whatever he meant by that) and wouldn't recommend it because your body is going to store all that excess. smooth them out. and an 8 hour fats is fine. just make that last meal a pro/fat meal and coast through the night. that si why i recommended the peanut butter there.

FYI, when i bulk i try to get at least 9 hrs of sleep.

when do you train for boxing, and are you doing any kind of cardio?

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    when do you train for boxing, and are you doing any kind of cardio?

I train usually 5 days a week, Im on the circuit for 30 mins then hitting bags and pads for 30 mins. It's a very intense workout. The cardio comes in the form of the circuit. I don'st rest or stop between workouts, I hit 8 different exercises twice that work all body parts, then heavy bag, speed bad, jump rope, and pad hitting and bag weaving. All this in about an hour and I'm pooped.

As far as the calorie spike thing, this diet was given to me by a dietician that works out where I do. I will take your advice and smooth out the caloric intake a bit to make it more even.

Thanks for all your help Nova...

so that cardio sounds pretty intense. which boxing is no doubt. i kicked boxed for 7 years a lot when i was little but competitively for only 1. then school. but where is your heart rate at during that cardio? i know for me, it isn't in the "fat-burning" range. you might want to consider taking a good serving of BCAA's before hitting the cardio after the weights. to spare some muscle and still leave room for a little fat loss.

just remember that your diet will be the fat burner, all activity will aid the burn. but over-exertion is the muscle burner, and you want to stop that at all costs.

My heart rate resting is about 60, during my super intense sessions (which is usually the heavybag or speedbag), it can get up to 170-180, but I'm still below the LBM threshshold, which is good.

Nova you really know your shit, must be from that cutting log! Thanks for your help

i was just saying if you any higher than 70% of your MHR (which for you is 135) i would do the amino thing because you might start sacrificing muscle.

Thread Information