View Poll Results: Do you wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do

12 27.27%
  • No, I don't

32 72.73%
    rake922 is offline Banned

Do you wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake?

Do you wake up for a protein shake then go back to bed?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    if i wake up i might have one but i wouldnt wake up for one

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I usually wake up just to piss

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamaniac
    I usually wake up just to piss
    Ditto.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    im not jay cutler...so no

NCNPC29 is offline Associate Member
    me neither... I wake up ..piss..go back to bed..

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    no cant say that i do either.

NEW_IN_THE_GAME is offline Associate Member
    i keep a mini fridge in my room, with 2 shaker bottles in em with cold water, so when i wake i throw a scoop in one and drink it. mayeb twice some nights if i wake twice, but i always wake once.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    nope

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    no...I have a hard enough time eating breakfast...diet is the hardest part of this lifestyle for me

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Only if I plateau - haven't done for a good few years. I feel if your diet when awake is good then you'll get more benefit from uninterrupted sleep.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yep...most nights with some flax. Waking up starving just doesn't seem right to me.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    if i do wake up i'll down some whey/casein/egg protein mix w/ flax. if not, i don't wake myself up for it.

vic99 is offline Junior Member
    I seem to be waking up for food only when on cycle. When off I dont have the same issue.

nope, it's absolutely pointless IMO. Sleep is a natural process, it neednt be interupted unless absolutely necessary. Alot of your fat burning takes place during sleep, alot of natural chemicals that your body produces to help growth take place during sleep, I think you'd benefit more from just sleeping straight through rather than waking up to eat and then going straight back to bed.

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    I slam a shake with milk, pb, flax, and 2 scoops of whey right before I goto bed. I usually wake around 2 or 3am to piss, then I go back to bed. To tired to make a shake at 3am...

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    yeah, mixed with 1/2 cup oats.

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    nope, it's absolutely pointless IMO. Sleep is a natural process, it neednt be interupted unless absolutely necessary. Alot of your fat burning takes place during sleep, alot of natural chemicals that your body produces to help growth take place during sleep, I think you'd benefit more from just sleeping straight through rather than waking up to eat and then going straight back to bed.
    Ditto... Let's see.. interrupt sleep to toss in more calories v.s. sleeping to maximise GH release

GH release wins hands down

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I disagree with you mate, most of the pro.BB's does that.
    matter of fact you answered your self when you said it's a growth state, in other words i believe that sleep in the 2nd most anabolic time of our day after post workout period.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Ditto... Let's see.. interrupt sleep to toss in more calories v.s. sleeping to maximise GH release

GH release wins hands down
    but GH's strongest burst occur in the 1st few hours of sleep. so you can manage delaying the meal abit, past half the time of sleep. for example after 4-5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays
    but GH's strongest burst occur in the 1st few hours of sleep. so you can manage delaying the meal abit, past half the time of sleep. for example after 4-5 hours.
    True.. but growth and repair (and fat-burning) aren't limited to just the GH-release alone...

Unless you're on GH year round.. a year-round cruise with burst cycles inter-twined (like some of the pros you alluded to most certainly are), why risk interrupting this anabolic environment just to pound a couple gr of protein?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If you want to play with this, drink a glass of water right before bed and you'll usually wake up in the middle of the night.

You should have very good intentions if you want to do this, because you are trading quality, uninterupted sleep for the midnight nutrition... if the response that you get is not doing much for your goals - stop immediatly and get the rest.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I have a casein shake and a handful of nuts right before I sleep... it helps me cruise thru the night without interrupting my very very very precious sleep (I've had bouts of insomnia since shildhood..so when I sleep, its sacred! )

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    When bulking I have one when I wake up at night. Otherwise it's just a casein shake before bed any other time.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    If you are to get up during the night to piss then I see no reason not to setup a casein/egg protein shake on nitestand. Otherwise, I wouldn't intentionally wake up for it. I feel it's a good addition though because 8hrs without food can't be a benefit to bodybuilder when your body is expecting a meal every 3-4hrs therefore possibly turning your body to a catabolic state. Another good alternative when I was cutting was 10g's BCAA's early in the morning, virtually no calories yet an anabolic environment.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I have to disagree with many on this thread, i have done this to get me past a sticking point on the scales and while on bulking cycles, i normally get up twice a night to go to the toilet so everytime i get up i drink quality protein, this dedication gives amazing results over a set number of weeks and then it comes second nature and easy to do,

24hr dedication especially while on cycle feed the body/AAS will make you explode, if you sit down with any pro and go through his daily food intake you will not believe it what these guys do and 24hr dedication is one of them, depends what goals you want but when am bulking i will do what it takes to give me the edge over the rest,

Try it and see for yourself

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300
    I have to disagree with many on this thread, i have done this to get me past a sticking point on the scales and while on bulking cycles, i normally get up twice a night to go to the toilet so everytime i get up i drink quality protein, this dedication gives amazing results over a set number of weeks and then it comes second nature and easy to do,

24hr dedication especially while on cycle feed the body/AAS will make you explode, if you sit down with any pro and go through his daily food intake you will not believe it what these guys do and 24hr dedication is one of them, depends what goals you want but when am bulking i will do what it takes to give me the edge over the rest,

Well said, I couldnt agree more. Most of the guys in this thread admit they get up to piss (as most of us do with the amount of water we consume). But then say they dont want to interrupt their sleep for it...well if you're already up to piss what are you interrupting?

I havent been drinking a shake in the middle of the night recently just because my calories are a little lower right now but I am eating about 8 solid food meals.

I will start having a shake again at night starting in 19 days when my cycle begins. It will be a night-time blend of fast/medium/slow digest. The combo will most-likely be whey isolate, egg white, hydrolyzed casein, calcium casseinate, milk protein, micellar casein.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    Well said, I couldnt agree more. Most of the guys in this thread admit they get up to piss (as most of us do with the amount of water we consume). But then say they dont want to interrupt their sleep for it...well if you're already up to piss what are you interrupting?

I havent been drinking a shake in the middle of the night recently just because my calories are a little lower right now but I am eating about 8 solid food meals.

I will start having a shake again at night starting in 19 days when my cycle begins. It will be a night-time blend of fast/medium/slow digest. The combo will most-likely be whey isolate, egg white, hydrolyzed casein, calcium casseinate, milk protein, micellar casein.
    thats it

rake922 is offline Banned
    Jay Cutler does

RAF3070 is offline Associate Member
    My m8 used to prepare one before going to bed, sticks one on the stand in the bathroom and when he gets up to take a piss in the middle of the night, he will down it in one by the time he finished pissing, then go back to bed. He would only be that extreme tho when competing.

I dont think I could drink one that quick, without throwing up.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hell no im not that ****ing dedicated.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You like doing Polls i've noticed Rake.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I always go to bed on an empty stomach.

Yes, one of the primary benefits to frequent meals is that the individual doses are small which prevents spikes and supposedly builds muscle. But frequent eating brings a more modest, but continuous elevation of insulin and shuts down the variation. The spikes are worse than the continuous flow, but neither is desirable. You must interupt the continuous insulin flow by fasting over night. Eat three hours before sleeping. Fasting during sleep rests your metabolism and turns on the repair and maintenance genes to work through the night. If you eat how we were designed to eat you will burn fat during the night to fuel this repair work. Sleeping on an empty stomach gives you a double hit: your GH spikes and flows will be higher and you trigger the fasting stress response that is known to promote repair. So, you double up the repair work.

Intense exercise, briefly done at a high pace, deep sleep, and fresh healthful food are all you need. Make it all playful and randomize a bit. Add an intermittent fast of modest intensity (also a GH releaser). It is all so easy. Too easy for many to believe.

TR'05 is offline Member
    usual,

What would be your thought, in general, on some light intensity AM cardio? Correct me in I'm mistaken, but you're a big proponent of getting outside for some exercise. Would you say that sleeping on an empty stomach should be utilized, eat the fresh, healthful breakfast, and save save the cardio for after your workout (ie a brisk walk outside)?

I haven't tried the sleep on an empty stomach, but I've done the both methods of cardio without noticing much of a difference, results wise, between the two. Just looking for your opinion on this. Thanks bro.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    TR,
    Sure walking is fine, but a treadmill is too repetitive (the foot strikes are all the same) and you are doing too much volume. Walking outside is always your best bet especially on a nice sunny day (more Vit D) as its important to get that 3 dimensional view (remember we're not lab rats!).

I prefer to walk after a high intensity session to relax and let the GH released keep fatty acids available for metabolizing. So, it I had any suggestion it would be to do the walk AFTER the workout to let this fat burning work efficiently. I also tend to take walks after dinner with my fiancee and I. Its a nice time for both of us.

Dorian Yates walked a lot during his Mr. Olympia days. After a work out I believe, but don't know for sure. And many great thinkers, Darwin and Einstein, walked a lot to free their minds and think.

Quote Originally Posted by TR'05
    usual,

What would be your thought, in general, on some light intensity AM cardio? Correct me in I'm mistaken, but you're a big proponent of getting outside for some exercise. Would you say that sleeping on an empty stomach should be utilized, eat the fresh, healthful breakfast, and save save the cardio for after your workout (ie a brisk walk outside)?

I haven't tried the sleep on an empty stomach, but I've done the both methods of cardio without noticing much of a difference, results wise, between the two. Just looking for your opinion on this. Thanks bro.
    Last edited by usualsuspect; 09-29-2006 at 08:55 AM.

Leader05 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300

I agree with u. if u wake up and feels like having a shake go for it. if not, then just go back to sleep until u woke up for breakfast.

Warrior21 is offline Associate Member
    I actually did this when I was younger and was very hungry (literally) to put on more muscle mass. I find that if you drink a full glass of water before bed you will wake up, and right there you can have your shake waiting for you on the night stand.

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    to me there is no question that this would be benificial, but alas im not as hardcore as i was when i was 16-19 years old. i pretty much do everything else right and when i start my next cycle in about 3 months i am definitly going set my alarm and knock down a shake after 4 hours of sleep.

of course sleep is very important also and if you are only gettin 4-5 hours of sleep because of your job or whatever i would definitly reccomend not waking up.

Thread Information