musclestack is offline Productive Member

how much? help, please...

I am just a couple weeks away from starting my bulking diet. I've researched the bulking sticky along with taking suggestions I found from other threads. I know all the types of foods I should eat, but now I need to know exactly how much I need to get in. I'm shooting for 5,000 calories a day. Can anyone tell me how many carbs, fats, and protein I should be consuming to reach a 5,000 calorie diet?

Thanks a lot,
    MS

musclestack is offline Productive Member

bump

bump for some answers.....anybody???

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    It's tough to answer that for someone else... your macronutrient ratios depend very much on the person and experimenting to see what works for you.

You hear the 40/40/20 as a common ratio to start with. So 40% of your calories are coming from carbs, 40% from protein, and 20% from fat.

Using this, you would find that for a 5000 calorie diet, 40% of 5000 Cal= 2000 calories from carbs. Since 1 gram of carb = 4 calories (technically 3.75, but rounding for simplicity), you will have 500 grams of carbs.

Similarly, 2000 calories from protein, and since protein has the same number of calories per gram as carbs, you will also have 500 grams of protein.

For fat, 20% of 5000 calories = 1000 calories. Fat has 9 calories per gram, so you will need 111 grams of fat to meet 20% of your calories.

This comes out to 500 carb, 500 prot, 111 fat.

Now, this is just a start. Just glancing at it, I would say that 500 grams of protein is too much (depending on your stats). Off the top of my head, I would say to take out 100 grams of protein and add 100 grams of carbs.

This will give 600 carb, 400 protein, 111 fat = 5000 calories

This would be a starting point of you diet. If you start getting fat, manipulate the amount of carbs, or add cardio.

Hope that helps.

Thread Information