Thread: Chicken weight

cherokee6 is offline Junior Member

Chicken weight

My diet is all chicken basically...not going to go in to the specifics because it doesn't matter. My question pertains more to the preparation of the chicken.

Using the USDA food database the only value given for chicken breast meat is a raw value. Upon cooking, as we all know it loses a great deal of weight. Say I want 50 grams of protein...roughly being about 8 oz of raw chicken breast. Would 8 oz of grilled chicken reast have the same? or do i have to figure out a ratio of raw:grilled based on how i cook it...appreciate any clarification...

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    check out calorieking it has macros listed for raw and cooked in different forms, they are all different

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Weigh it raw and calculate it.. then cook it and eat it as you'll know what you're getting then. Also if you're bulking/cutting etc I'd deff by getting a wide variety of meats for various reasons although I know you just said you only eat chicken for specific reasons. goodluck.

thanks alot guys... just trying to get stuff straight for another nutty year...

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I always calculate my protein based on the raw weight of the meat, saves me alot of guesswork later.... IMO even the USDA database on the cooked weight is not that accurate....too many variables (moisture, length of time cooked, temperature cooked, etc..)..

I invested in an electronic kitchen scale and it made my life so much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    I always calculate my protein based on the raw weight of the meat, saves me alot of guesswork later.... IMO even the USDA database on the cooked weight is not that accurate....too many variables (moisture, length of time cooked, temperature cooked, etc..)..

I invested in an electronic kitchen scale and it made my life so much easier!

Yeah... I have one...a very nice one at that. My problem with that is...I cook twice a week. I marinade two large packages worth of chicken, which lasts me half a week. I guess I will try and figure out a ratio based on avg before and after cook weight...and just use that as a guide to get close...thanks for the suggestions.

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    Weigh it raw and calculate it.. then cook it and eat it as you'll know what you're getting then. Also if you're bulking/cutting etc I'd deff by getting a wide variety of meats for various reasons although I know you just said you only eat chicken for specific reasons. goodluck.
    **, what are some of those reasons, out of curiosity?

I ask because I've fallen into eating ALOT of chicken lately out of convenience. Guess I'll be switching it up now. Thanks bro.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Well think about it SB.. Lets say I ate chicken all day long which contains the same amino profile/nutrients/protein + fats per serving... Compared to eating say Fish one meal, Beef another meal, Turkey, chicken, and say Buffalo or Lamb. Each of these animals will give you different nutrients for one, secondly they will provide you with different amounts of fats per serving to allow you not to supplement with fats.
    Also say I want more fats before I go to sleep at night, well chicken wouldn't be my ideal choice of meats before bed, I'd choose something more like Lamb, Salmon, or steak as opposed to Eggwhites/chicken or say a Lean fish (flounder/cod/snapper/tuna) for a meal Preworkout + postworkout where I want faster absorbtion of nutrients. Get what I'm saying?
    Eat a wider varienty of meats for better results and to give your body a better range of nutrients like *****s from fish, or fats from Pork loin/Beef or Lamb. Also eggs have many vitamens not found in chicken and are very cheap to buy.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    Well think about it SB.. Lets say I ate chicken all day long which contains the same amino profile/nutrients/protein + fats per serving... Compared to eating say Fish one meal, Beef another meal, Turkey, chicken, and say Buffalo or Lamb. Each of these animals will give you different nutrients for one, secondly they will provide you with different amounts of fats per serving to allow you not to supplement with fats.
    Also say I want more fats before I go to sleep at night, well chicken wouldn't be my ideal choice of meats before bed, I'd choose something more like Lamb, Salmon, or steak as opposed to Eggwhites/chicken or say a Lean fish (flounder/cod/snapper/tuna) for a meal Preworkout + postworkout where I want faster absorbtion of nutrients. Get what I'm saying?
    Eat a wider varienty of meats for better results and to give your body a better range of nutrients like *****s from fish, or fats from Pork loin/Beef or Lamb. Also eggs have many vitamens not found in chicken and are very cheap to buy.
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Thread Information