Rev. Zen is offline New Member

Please critique my beginner workout plan.

I currently weigh 245 lbs. I am 6"2" tall and my BF% is 25....

I have been working out about 3 - 4 times a week for the past 9 months, but I seem to be battling between muscle gain and fat loss. I have definitely gained muscle over the months, as this is the most I have worked out in 10 years, but I would really like to see the weight come down more than it has.

I know my diet is a major factor in my weight, and I am trying to slowly work towards eating better. Here is where I am currently at diet-wise:

breakfast = muscle milk oats
    snack = muscle milk shake
    lunch = turkey burger or veggie burger
    snack = protein bar
    dinner = usually not so good, Boston Market or Subway or w/e wife is fixing for the night.

Here is my workout plan (see attachment).

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please critique my beginner workout plan.-training.jpg  

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    I can see why your BF% is so high.

Your working 3 seperate muscle groups in one day? check out the workout forum.

I will see what I can find in the workout forums. At the moment, I am doing physical therapy on my knee on Mondays and Fridays, so I kinda stacked some stuff into the rest of my week so that I would not overlook any body parts.

I can remove some exercises, if that will help, but I do not understand how exercising too many body parts in a day will negatively impact my BF%, but I digress.

I will probably be stuck with doing PT for at least another month, therefore, with my Mondays and Fridays reserved for that, how can I arrange my workout plan to lose all this BF?

I guess I will add Saturdays in!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Zen
    I will see what I can find in the workout forums. At the moment, I am doing physical therapy on my knee on Mondays and Fridays, so I kinda stacked some stuff into the rest of my week so that I would not overlook any body parts.

I can remove some exercises, if that will help, but I do not understand how exercising too many body parts in a day will negatively impact my BF%, but I digress.

I will probably be stuck with doing PT for at least another month, therefore, with my Mondays and Fridays reserved for that, how can I arrange my workout plan to lose all this BF?

I guess I will add Saturdays in!
    I was actually referring to that your "diet"

Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    I can see why your BF% is so high.

Your working 3 seperate muscle groups in one day? check out the workout forum.
    I know my diet is my biggest problem. I am going to talk to my wife to see about getting her onboard with this and see if she can help me keep the right stuff in the fridge.

Guess I will be scarfing down lots of egg whites and tuna. Is the Muscle Milk Oats still OK?

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Here is what my diet looks like..

meal 1 10 egg whites 3/4 cup oats

meal 2 2 cans of tuna baked patotoe

meal 3 chicken breast 3/4 cup oats cup of brocolli

Meal 4 2 cans of tuna and baked potatoe

meal 5 chicken breast tpsp olive oil cup of brocolli

meal 6 2 cans of tuna olive oil some mayo
    cup of brocolli or cauliflower apple

I interchange lean beef,pork in turkey in here...

I know my diet is my biggest problem. I am going to talk to my wife to see about getting her onboard with this and see if she can help me keep the right stuff in the fridge.

Guess I will be scarfing down lots of egg whites and tuna. Is the Muscle Milk Oats still OK?
    Sounds good bro!
    Muscle milk is garbage.
    For liquid protein, try Dymatize elite whey (butter cream toffee)

Great....I just bought a whole box of the Oats and 2.5 box of the mix....

Well....I got to get my money's worth so I will finish it off.

I had asked this question in another thread, but I would like to hear what you have to say about Cytomel . I am currently taking Thyroxine as prescribed by my doctor for hypothyroidism. Could I supplement it with Cytomel?

I really think my thyroid is on the fritz. Last Friday I weighed in at 242lbs. I fudged over the weekend and when I got into the gym on Monday, I weighed 248lbs! WTF is that all about! I was expecting to have some added weight after my fall from grace, but 6lbs in 3 days?

Great....I just bought a whole box of the Oats and 2.5 box of the mix....

Well....I got to get my money's worth so I will finish it off.

I had asked this question in another thread, but I would like to hear what you have to say about Cytomel . I am currently taking Thyroxine as prescribed by my doctor for hypothyroidism. Could I supplement it with Cytomel?

I really think my thyroid is on the fritz. Last Friday I weighed in at 242lbs. I fudged over the weekend and when I got into the gym on Monday, I weighed 248lbs! WTF is that all about! I was expecting to have some added weight after my fall from grace, but 6lbs in 3 days?
    depending on what you ate, its mostly water.

So I guess its not uncommon then...

...but will the Cytomel be a wise addition to my supplements at this point? Let me get a new meal plan lined up for your review and hopefully that will get me on the right track.

Geez, I sure wish that so much of stying in shape did not depend upon your diet. My will power is so lacking in the food department.

I posted my diet for you because you asked...You should tweak it though and find what works for you...I am 205lbs though..

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    you dont have to think about any supps, get your diet in check then you can rethink that

Thanks, Hack, for showing me your diet. I actually used it to make my next grocery list!

No problem man..I was told if i want to keep the apple move it to one of the first four meals...

BTW, How do I calculate how many calories I should be eating? Is there a website with a nice calculator or some kind of chart I can go by? I currently weigh 245 lbs. and I am 6'2" and my BF is 24%.

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    BTW, How do I calculate how many calories I should be eating? Is there a website with a nice calculator or some kind of chart I can go by? I currently weigh 245 lbs. and I am 6'2" and my BF is 24%.
    read the labels on the food.
    1g fat=9 cals
    1g carb=4 cals
    1g protein=4 cals

my diet is 200gs protein, 217 carbs, 35gs fat.

thats 1983 cals. some may dissagree with my diet but it works for me. do you do cardio?

I do 30 - 45 min of cardio M - F. I try to get it done in the morning, so at lunch I can lift or do some interval training. The workout plan I posted at the top is pretty much what I follow.....depending on time and so forth.

Thread Information