DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

How many people do NOT take dextrose/malt PWO shake ?

I just can't justifiy putting that much sugar in me after a workout. I have since stops the dextrose and started using brown rice after with my shake. Anyone use anything in place of dextrose ?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Yes I use powdered oats unless i am running slin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    Yes I use powdered oats unless i am running slin.
    oats are a slow acting carb right, just like brown rice ?

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    oats are a slow acting carb right, just like brown rice ?
    They can be depending on how processed they are. Some of the instant oats are medium GI, steel cut and just plain rolled oats are low I believe.

I also dont use dextrose PWO, I will have some gatorade sometimes but I would NEVER put 2 : 1 carbs to protein. Thats just too high for me. I would go with 1:1. I will be adding dextrose in again when I run this cycle and jump on slin as well. But for now when im off cycle I am stayin away from the dex.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    I go with more of a 1 to 1.5 ratio of protein to carbs during a bulking period in my PWO nutrition....and I would say prolly a third of those carbs are quick acting carbs...I think you need some kind of added effect of muscle sensitivity to absorbtion post lift....I think quick acting carbs shuttle nutrients to your muscles quicker than slower ones and this is the whole point of PWO nutrition...Quality nutrients, as fast as possible....I just think the amount of simple carbs needed to accomplish this is blow way out of proportion thats all...

~M.A.D.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    This has been discussed like 10times in the last few days.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    True Story IB

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    OK LISTEN MUTHERFVCKERS,

Working out with (weights)=medium/low GI pwo carbs

Working out with (weights+SLIN)=HIGH GI PWO Carbs

Working out INTENSLY for a Triathalon, Special Military training etc... Anything goes and you'll still get in shape.

Pwo for me while doing weights and slin and weights alone were as listed above.

NOW, its Probably 1/4 gallon of gatorade, 10 whole eggs with cheese, fruit and Cereal with milk......

HIGH GI carbs DO NOT INCREASE PROTEIN SYNTHESIS, they replinish glycogen a bit faster, which is not needed for you guys but for me the faster its replenished, the better and harder I can workout next session/day .

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    I use dex cause I love the taste and I can't eat after I lift, I would just puke up the food.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bagels work fine for me.

Blog Entries
    K thanks guys and sorry for a newb repeat. I been using shake + brown rice and been feeling good.

timtim is offline Member
    only been using a whey protein shake pwo.

starting 15 grams bcaa's pre-workout with whey protein and sipping 5 grams bcaas during workout.

i am having the same exact results as whey/dextrose without the bloat.

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timtim
    only been using a whey protein shake pwo.

starting 15 grams bcaa's pre-workout with whey protein and sipping 5 grams bcaas during workout.

i am having the same exact results as whey/dextrose without the bloat.
    i like everything your doing as far as the bcaa's before and during your workout, but if i were you i would get some kind of carbs PWO, whether they are fast or slow. IMO you need this to replentish your glycogen and to cause some insulin release.

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    OK LISTEN MUTHERFVCKERS,

Working out with (weights)=medium/low GI pwo carbs

Working out with (weights+SLIN)=HIGH GI PWO Carbs

Working out INTENSLY for a Triathalon, Special Military training etc... Anything goes and you'll still get in shape.

Pwo for me while doing weights and slin and weights alone were as listed above.

NOW, its Probably 1/4 gallon of gatorade, 10 whole eggs with cheese, fruit and Cereal with milk......

HIGH GI carbs DO NOT INCREASE PROTEIN SYNTHESIS, they replinish glycogen a bit faster, which is not needed for you guys but for me the faster its replenished, the better and harder I can workout next session/day .

timtim is offline Member
    i like everything your doing as far as the bcaa's before and during your workout, but if i were you i would get some kind of carbs PWO, whether they are fast or slow. IMO you need this to replentish your glycogen and to cause some insulin release.
    been having great results without the carbs pwo but i do have my ppwo with either oats or brown rice. i have had pwo carbs for so many years that now i see they arent necessary as long as everything else is in order.

Chad B is offline Banned
    Funny I always thought digesting that much pure sugar was bad for me but I just told myself if it will get me bigger than I should do it. I always hated the crash, would ruin my day.

I’m happy with this new light on the subject. Now I can just have a banana and whey after a hard workout and skip the sugar crash.

Chad

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have been finding that as long as I have a good amount of carbs in me throughout the day I dont really have a need for a post workout insulin spike. I like eating carbs PWO mostly because I really enjoy eating them in general. I think that the whole PWO shake with dex is over rated as well. I actually have been considering the use of VITARGO (waxy maize starch) as some of the competitors on here really like it.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I can't say I used to have many sugar crashes but I have noticed a little more Ab fat than I would like to have. I think I'll try a ratio of 1:1 with some fruit or even oats

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    I don't add anything to my PWO shake other than what's there. But I use cytogainer and it apparently has maltodextrin in it. However, I just read about eating SweetTarts as a means of procurring your dex req. PWO and I think I might try that.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    no dex here

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Depending on how late I work out, I usually go 1:1 ratio dex to protein. If I workout late, it's usually oats.

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member
    Rice cakes and orgainic cereal + whey shake orrrr oats orrr creamry rice....

Thread Information