Venum is offline Member

efa's and cutting

hey guys, I am cutting and usually get in around 3 pro/fat meals per day..almost always one of them is whole eggs mixed with whites for a meal. now should i be eating every pro/fat meal with efa's like natty pb, flax, olive oil, etc.? Whole eggs dont have the important fats I need while cutting right? I love my natty pb, can I get most of my days fats from that alone? I will if its ok, I love to too much......???

brutesinme is offline Member
    Olive oil is a healty oil, but a marginal source of EFA's. Pb is much worse. Flax has high levels of ***** 3, but you'd be better off eating at whole food source such as walnuts than imbibing a refined oil. Most of the health benefits associated with EFA's have been found with EPA and DHA. These are found in high amounts in fatty fish. Salmon and sardines are excellent sources that are low in mercury. There is debate on the body's ability to convert the ***** 3's from plant sources to epa/dha. Egg yolks also contain a little bit of ***** 3

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Brutes - good info man!

Venum is offline Member
    natural peanut butter is not a good source of fat while cutting? I thought it was up at the top of the list for being good for you.

If you're concerned with your skin its worth noting peanut butter has a very high content of lectins which can into the bloodstream and promote acne. These lectins are also commonly found in whole wheat, soy and legumes.

Besides the lectin issue, PB has a poor fatty acid composition. The ideal ratio is 2:1 (*****-6/*****-3). Peanuts are about 50 or so (not much better than refined vegatable oils). Flaxseed oil is about .24, canola oil is 2.0, olive oil is 13.0, walnuts are 4.2, mac nuts are 6.3.
    So unless you have a raging appetite for pb, I'd stress other sources of fat. I think brutes said the rest.

Venum is offline Member
    i eat pb a couple times a day...how are almond? Isn't almond butter sold in stores? So I should make sure I eat my flax every day and pick up some raw walnuts for fat to replace my beloved natty pb...

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I see no problems with natty pb. I picked up a brand that has 1300mg of ***** 6 and 1000mg of ***** 3's. I wouldn't rely on it, but I use it to add some extra calories to my meals. Then again, I'm bulking.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Venum
    hey guys, I am cutting and usually get in around 3 pro/fat meals per day..almost always one of them is whole eggs mixed with whites for a meal. now should i be eating every pro/fat meal with efa's like natty pb, flax, olive oil, etc.? Whole eggs dont have the important fats I need while cutting right? I love my natty pb, can I get most of my days fats from that alone? I will if its ok, I love to too much......???

Its never good to relie on one single source of fat(or protein or carbs for that matter).

If you get fat from several different sources you dont have much to worry about regarding ratios, just get some flax, some fish, some nuts, some eggs, some meat ect in your diet. All fats(except trans fats) are basicly good and the benifits of some saturated fats are beeing discovered.

So just try to have many sources of fat and your good to go You dont need that much ***** 3 either way and to much can lower immune system function, thin out the blood to much and can lead to creation of cholesterol that oxidise easier.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    You dont need that much ***** 3 either way and to much can lower immune system function, thin out the blood to much and can lead to creation of cholesterol that oxidise easier.
    I believe that should read o-6. Generally speaking, many of us eat too many o-6's and not enough o-3's (In fact, most Americans eat 10 times more o-6's than o-3's). The ideal ratio should should instead be 2:1 (o-6/o-3).

BTW Whats the deal with the word (o m e g a) getting blocked out? Is this a bad word I don't know about

Venum is offline Member
    I get in atleast ONE fat meal that consists of flax seed oil on my salad, at least one a day...then usually natty pb for another fat meal, and eggs for another...i usually get in 3 pro/fat meals a day....so its not good to get all my carbs from oats either? i eat 3 pro/carbs meals a day as well and use oats almost always every time with the exception of the occasional brown rice..............back to nuts, haha....are almonds good? or just walnuts

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    I believe that should read o-6. Generally speaking, many of us eat too many o-6's and not enough o-3's (In fact, most Americans eat 10 times more o-6's than o-3's). The ideal ratio should should instead be 2:1 (o-6/o-3).

BTW Whats the deal with the word (o m e g a) getting blocked out? Is this a bad word I don't know about

nope its ***** 3. To much ***** 3 isnt a good thing. Places like the linus pauling institute doesnt recoment more than 3 grams of ***** 3 day since more can have negative effects on imune system, can make the blood to thin and can increase ldl oxidation.

I hold the oppinion that most fat should be saturated, animal fats ect.

o m e g a is probably some ug lab I guess.

Linus pauling institute
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...nuts/*****3fa/

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (18:3n-3)

Although flaxseed oil is generally well tolerated, high doses may cause loose stools or diarrhea (151). Allergic and anaphylactic reactions have been reported with flaxseed and flaxseed oil ingestion (152).

Eicosapentaenoic Acid (20:5n-3) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (22:6n-3)

Serious adverse reactions have not been reported in those using fish oil or other EPA and DHA supplements. The most common adverse effect of fish oil or EPA and DHA supplements is a fishy aftertaste. Belching and heartburn have also been reported. High doses may cause nausea and loose stools.

Potential for Excessive Bleeding: The potential for high *****-3 fatty acid intakes, especially EPA and DHA, to prolong bleeding times has been well studied, and may play a role in the cardioprotective effects of *****-3 fatty acids. Although excessively long bleeding times and increased incidence of hemorrhagic stroke have been observed in Greenland Eskimos with very high intakes of EPA + DHA (6.5 g/day), it is not known whether high intakes of EPA and DHA are the only factor responsible for these observations (1). The US FDA has ruled that intakes up to 3 g/day of long-chain *****-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) are Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) for inclusion in the diet, and available evidence suggests that intakes less than 3 g/day are unlikely to result in clinically significant bleeding (3). Although the Institute of Medicine did not establish a tolerable upper level of intake (UL) for *****-3 fatty acids, caution was advised with the use of supplemental EPA and DHA, especially in those who are at increased risk of excessive bleeding (see Drug Interactions below) (1).

Potential for Immune System Suppression: Although the suppression of inflammatory responses resulting from increased *****-3 fatty acid intakes may benefit individuals with inflammatory or autoimmune diseases, anti-inflammatory doses of *****-3 fatty acids could decrease the potential of the immune system to destroy pathogens (153). Studies comparing measures of immune cell function outside the body (ex vivo) at baseline and after supplementing people with *****-3 fatty acids, mainly EPA and DHA, have demonstrated immunosuppressive effects at doses as low as 0.9 g/day for EPA and 0.6 g/day for DHA (1). Although it is not clear if these findings translate to impaired immune responses in vivo, caution should be observed when considering *****-3 fatty acid supplementation in individuals with compromised immune systems.
    It is in vitro offcourse but it still is cautionary. Since there seem to be no benifit to megadosing o m e g a 3 and possible side effects I se no reason whatsoever to go above 5-10 grams/day. Especialy not from fishoil.
    Since conversion from alpha linolenic acid to EPA and DHA is quite limited I guess a combination of fish oil and flax would be best and one can use plenty of flax without a problem I recon.

Venum is offline Member
    wow, thats some heavy stuff.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    venum, if natty works for you, then do it up. just watch your saturated fat amounts while cutting. isnt much of an issue when bulking. but the egg meal is fine. and a natty peanut butter meal is fine, then for another meal use flax with a few almonds and you'd be set. but if it works do it main. u seem to know waht to do and are on the right path. just make the smart choice.

Venum is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    venum, if natty works for you, then do it up. just watch your saturated fat amounts while cutting. isnt much of an issue when bulking. but the egg meal is fine. and a natty peanut butter meal is fine, then for another meal use flax with a few almonds and you'd be set. but if it works do it main. u seem to know waht to do and are on the right path. just make the smart choice.
    it works for me because I love it so much! its hard to eat just one meal a day with my natty but I can resist. I save it for night before bed. nova could you give me a ball park number on the amount of fat a guy thats 5'11 200 lbs about 16% bf should be taking in a day when cutting? I average around 60 grms all good fats...

Thread Information