Thread: sugarfree shit

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member

sugarfree shit

i know aspartame is not good for you and sugar alcohols bloat the hell out of me because you only digest half of the calories in them. im going to start cutting in a few weeks and i really like to ocassionally have a sweet drink. in your guys opinion what is the best artificial sweetener that isnt too unhealthy?

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zodiac666
    i know aspartame is not good for you and sugar alcohols bloat the hell out of me because you only digest half of the calories in them. im going to start cutting in a few weeks and i really like to ocassionally have a sweet drink. in your guys opinion what is the best artificial sweetener that isnt too unhealthy?
    I'm a borderline diabetic and have been using synthetic sweeteners for a few years trying to keep my sugar under control. For the last six months I've been using some so called "sugar free" products that contained sugar alcohols and my A1C shot up from 6.4 to 7.0. After doing some research on sugar alcohols I discovered they are neither "sugar" nor "alcohol" and they raise your triglycerides, cholesterol, sugar levels and yes they bloat you. You're right about half of the calories are not being digested but the other half is carbohydrates that raise your sugar level. The FDA ought to make them put a warning on their lables for diabetics.
    During my research I learned about another new sweetener called ZSweet. It's supposed to be granulated like real sugar and as sweet as sugar but doesn't have any calories because your body doesn't digest it. You can check it out on Google. I'm thinking about giving it a try myself but I'll probably have to order it on-line since it's not available yet in my area. I also use Splenda. It's made from real sugar and you can cook with it unlike Nutrasweet.

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    whoops.. splenda

and sugar alcohols bloat the hell out of me because you only digest half of the calories in them.
    is this a fact?

Quote Originally Posted by 305GUY
    is this a fact?
    "Sugar alcohols are neither sugars nor alcohols. They are carbohydrates with a chemical structure that partially resembles sugar and partially resembles alcohol, but they don’t contain ethanol as alcoholic beverages do. They are incompletely absorbed and metabolized by the body, and consequently contribute fewer calories. The polyols commonly used include sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, maltitol syrup, lactitol, erythritol, isomalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates. Their calorie content ranges from 1.5 to 3 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram for sucrose or other sugars. Most are approximately half as sweet as sucrose; maltitol and xylitol are about as sweet as sucrose."

"Sugar alcohols are slowly and incompletely absorbed from the small intestine into the blood. Once absorbed they are converted to energy by processes that require little or no insulin . Some of the sugar alcohol is not absorbed into the blood and is passed out of the small intestine and is fermented by bacteria in the large intestine. Thus, overconsumption may produce a**ominal gas and discomfort in some individuals.2 Total daily consumption should be considered since it is the total intake that may primarily drive laxative effects. As a result, foods that contain certain sugar alcohols and that are likely to be eaten in amounts that could produce such an effect must bear the statement “Excess consumption may have a laxative effect.” The American Dietetic Association advises that greater than 50g/day of sorbitol or greater than 20g/day of mannitol “may cause diarrhea.”1"

the other day i ate a package of sugar free twizlers, 6oz i believe, my stomach got bloated as hell for about 8 hours untill it came out in the form of explosive diarrhea. but i was laying on my side farting nonstop for 8 fvckin hours, it sounds funny now but it was one of the most uncomfortable things i have ever felt.

also i am 100% computer illeterate which is why the text is all fvcked up

http://ific.org/publications/factsheets/sugaralcoholfs.cfm

god i fvcking hate computers, there is a table on this site that shows how many calories per gram different sugar alcohols contain

Last edited by zodiac666; 10-11-2006 at 09:14 PM.

"Sugar alcohols are neither sugars nor alcohols. They are carbohydrates with a chemical structure that partially resembles sugar and partially resembles alcohol, but they don’t contain ethanol as alcoholic beverages do. They are incompletely absorbed and metabolized by the body, and consequently contribute fewer calories. The polyols commonly used include sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, maltitol syrup, lactitol, erythritol, isomalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates. Their calorie content ranges from 1.5 to 3 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram for sucrose or other sugars. Most are approximately half as sweet as sucrose; maltitol and xylitol are about as sweet as sucrose."

"Sugar alcohols are slowly and incompletely absorbed from the small intestine into the blood. Once absorbed they are converted to energy by processes that require little or no insulin . Some of the sugar alcohol is not absorbed into the blood and is passed out of the small intestine and is fermented by bacteria in the large intestine. Thus, overconsumption may produce a**ominal gas and discomfort in some individuals.2 Total daily consumption should be considered since it is the total intake that may primarily drive laxative effects. As a result, foods that contain certain sugar alcohols and that are likely to be eaten in amounts that could produce such an effect must bear the statement “Excess consumption may have a laxative effect.” The American Dietetic Association advises that greater than 50g/day of sorbitol or greater than 20g/day of mannitol “may cause diarrhea.”1"

the other day i ate a package of sugar free twizlers, 6oz i believe, my stomach got bloated as hell for about 8 hours untill it came out in the form of explosive diarrhea. but i was laying on my side farting nonstop for 8 fvckin hours, it sounds funny now but it was one of the most uncomfortable things i have ever felt.

also i am 100% computer illeterate which is why the text is all fvcked up
    good to know.. that explains why whenever i eat sugarfree icecream my stomach starts rumbling and i get the shiats!! sugarfree popsicles never give me a problem but i never eat more than 2 at a time..

chest6 is offline Banned
    sugar free jello

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    yeah many sweeteners sure **** up the stomach proper.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    there is a natural product called Stevia (there are a couple of brand names like steviva). It has the same sweetness gram for gram as sugar. It has no known ill effects and it is natural plant extract. There is a contoversy over this product as it is not licensed for sale in USA or UK as food item. I'm not up on all the laws ect but the controversy is that the sweetner companies do not want this product released as it will blow all there crap out of the water. You can buy it from websites (google stevia) or loads on ebay. It is sold as a supp.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    there is a natural product called Stevia (there are a couple of brand names like steviva). It has the same sweetness gram for gram as sugar. It has no known ill effects and it is natural plant extract. There is a contoversy over this product as it is not licensed for sale in USA or UK as food item. I'm not up on all the laws ect but the controversy is that the sweetner companies do not want this product released as it will blow all there crap out of the water. You can buy it from websites (google stevia) or loads on ebay. It is sold as a supp.
    I heard this. I figure, whatever the government doesn't want us to have, means it has to be AWESOME!

There's hardly any cane sugar left in the U.S. Very few grow it anymore. A lot of my family used to run the cane fields outside of New Orleans some years ago. They're all but gone now.

Stevia is pretty good..but it has alot of fiber in it somehow. 4 packs is equivelent to the fiber in 1 bowl of oatmeal.

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by svarturer; 02-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by svartur
    why ?
    Aspartame is a molecule composed of three components: aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol. Once ingested the methanol converts into formaldehyde and formic (Ant Sting Poison). Formaldehyde, a deadly neurotoxin, is common embalming fluid, a Class A Carcinogen. Phenylalanine is also neurotoxic when unaccompanied by the other amino acids in proteins. Aspartic acid causes brain lesions in neuroendocrine disorders in experimental animals. There are 92 documented symptoms including:
    Headaches, Numbness, Fatigue, Blurred vision, Heart palpitations, Memory loss, Dizziness, Muscle spasms, Weight gain, Irritability, Anxiety attacks, Vertigo, Seizures, Rashes, Blindness, Tachycardia, Tinnitus, Joint Pain, Nausea, Depression, Hearing loss, Slurred speech, Loss of taste, Insomnia

i actually wasnt sure, i have just always heard that it is pretty bad for you, so i googled it. most of the articles are pretty one sided though. the lady who wrote this seemed pretty intelligent but i still hope someone more intelligent than me (like johan) will answer your question better.
    Last edited by zodiac666; 10-12-2006 at 06:31 PM.

miamistar is offline Junior Member
    The best natural sweetner out there is a product called Lo-Han you can find it in most natural/health food stores. I emailed the guy from a book i read called ultramarathon man (he won male body of the yr by GQ ) he told me in the even he needs to sweeten something he uses Lo-Han, and told me the artifical sweetners only make you crave more sugar and is not in my best interest. Sorry for all thos who depend on diet sodas and sugar free jello on cutters

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by svarturer; 09-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Stevia is sold in the US, we have some in the breakroom in the other room.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Thread Information