ascendant is offline Senior Member

What potatoes are low or med GI?

Right now I eat yams, and have for quite a while. However, I'm sick of eating them and need to change things up. I want to keep using potatoes for the meal, but just can't stomach the yams anymore. So, I'm trying to find some kind of potato that is at least med GI that would be reasonable to replace the yams with?

One that I had found by searching the net was called "new potatoes". But because of the stupid name they go by, I can't find out much more about them in a web search as there's just a bunch of search results about new potatoes, just not the particular type. Also, I called all over to a bunch of local supermarkets a while back, and not a single one carries any kind of potato called a "new potato".

So, anyone that can point me in the direction of a potato I can find in the supermarket other than yams or sweet potatoes that has a reasonable GI, please let me know.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    You could always compliment the higher GI with another food that has a lower GI, thus it would reduce the overall GI of the meal

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by svarturer; 09-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Triple X is offline Banned
    Boiled New Potatoes.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Sweet Potatoes are the bomb !!!

skribbble is offline Member
    i think red potatoes are low gi

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    regular potates are so low in carbs that they are pretty harmless unless you stuff yourself with a ib or so. Weight by weight rice and pasta contains 4 times as much carbs as potatoes.

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    sweet potatoes(yams) are the best by far escpecially the japaneese variety that are actually a prurple color but i think it is only a 3 point difference on the index. however red potatoes are almost as good as sweet potatoes not quite the same but not a big enough difference to me i eat reds all the time.

well for the longest time, i had thought red potatoes (as many of you have already stated) were low GI as well. however, i have read several glycemic index lists on the web that indicate otherwise. some have even said that red potatoes are one of the worst as far as a high GI.

i just can't stomach the yams anymore though. i ate them for several months now, never liked them much to begin with, and now every time i have to stomach them they make me nauseous and take me forever to eat, which considering i eat 7 times a day, just plain sucks.

i'm thinking of just switching back to the red potatoes again and saying f*ck it. i mean, i eat some baked chicken first anyway which should slow down digestion and i add 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil onto my potatoes, which should further slow down the digestion of them and hence, the insulin spike. unless anyone has a good reason not to do so, think that's what i'll be doing as though i want to eat good, i have to keep my sanity as well. thanks for all the advice so far and if anyone can confirm for sure what kind of GI red potatoes have, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    You could always compliment the higher GI with another food that has a lower GI, thus it would reduce the overall GI of the meal
    finally, someone else sees it this way. i stopped looking at the gi a long time ago. all it means is if u are eating it all by itself and that would be stupid. u need to caluculate the glycemic LOAD of the meal.

basically what im saying is that plain white potatoes, a meat, and a veg will not have much of a different glycemic load on your body than it would be if you substituted the white potatoe for a sweet potatoe.

this is not taking into account the fact that sweet potatoes are thousands of times better for u than regular potatoes and that there are a million other more nutrient-rich substitutes out there. i am talking purely from a gi standpoint.

btw i just realized i spelled potato with an 'e' at the end...deal with it

briansauras is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    Sweet Potatoes are the bomb !!!

Jakspro is offline Member
    if you want to lower the gi of a white baked potato, bake it, let it cool down in the fridge and then eat it cold. It'll lower the gi considerably. Also eat it with the skin, that will further lower it, but not as much as when you eat a cold baked potato. There are alot of studies on this actually. Also eat alot of fiberous veggies with white potatoes that'll help with the insulin spikes. Next in line is actually red potatoes, but you'll have to eat these with the skin. Yams being above both.

Also search for Idle thoughts by Pinnacle, i think its a sticky, but i think this topic is discussed in there as well.

Never heard of "New tots" but continue with your search, sounds interesting i'll ask my prof if he has any info on that.

i'm definitely feeling those opinions on the GI being misleading. i tried switching from regular potatoes to yams and to be honest, it made no difference for me in any way that i noticed, and i'm pretty ocd with keeping track of my weight, bf%, etc.

also, i've seen GI indexes from 5 years back that completely contradict ones you find nowadays. i've also seen people advise against particular foods cause of high GI's, but then later point out specific kinds that are ok (ex., 'al dente' pasta). i think this whole GI thing is just too new and a lot of it is just not applicable to typical human consumption of foods. though i will try to adhere to it for the most part, i really think in many circumstances, it doesn't make much of a difference.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Do you eat the sweet potato plain or do you sweeten it up with sugar free syrup or cinamon? That may help you get it down easier.

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    i like brown rice

Quote Originally Posted by Blome
    Do you eat the sweet potato plain or do you sweeten it up with sugar free syrup or cinamon? That may help you get it down easier.
    nah, it's just the overall taste and texture of the yams. i've tried putting anything and everything on them, i just don't like them.

i'm gonna try switching back to red potatoes and see how things go. apparently, if red potatoes are picked early enough, that's when they are called "new potatoes" and they are very low GI. however, if they're picked when they're older, then they become more starchy and that's when they become much a much higher GI food, at least from some articles i've read recently. then again knowing most companies, they're gonna want the most money possible from their produce and will not pick the potatoes too soon. personally, i don't care as yams are going to make me kill myself.

Thread Information