Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs vs. Fat

prncezzml is offline Female Member

Carbs vs. Fat

OK I eat at least 180-200 grams of protein per day, and low carbs (which i always read is most beneficial for weight loss in women), but the rest of my diet is fat. For example, today so far my breakdown is like this: Protein 33% Carbs 23% and fat 44%. These are not fats from candy and junk food, they are mainly fats from meat and cheese which is where I get about half of my protein (the rest from Muscle Milk, Met-rx shakes). I know lean protein is the key but I run out of things to eat since I eat SO MUCH (6-8 small meals a day). So my question is, what is more beneficial to eat less of, carbs or fat?

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Cals 1882 protein212 carbs116.5 fats64.5

These are macros from my sisters diet.
    She 5'8" 135lbs @ about 11%bf 19yo
    Her goal is to continue leaning, I'm going to throw her on an eca stack as well.
    I based her carbs (mainly oats and ww pasta) around her workouts (about 1/2 cup oats for breakfast, pre, pwo, ppwo).

I would drop the muscle milk...way too much crap (sugars, fats) in those.
    I also don't have her eating any dairy...no cheese, milk, and no breads.
    Last edited by audis4; 12-05-2006 at 03:24 PM.

I think I would starve if I only ate 1882 calories! But you are right about the dairy and muscle milk, they aren't helping any.

Thats when she was cutting...she eating more maintenance cals right now.

bigeater is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    I also don't have her eating any dairy...
    Do you think itīs ok to eat cottage cheese with almonds while cutting?

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    Most will say dairy bloats you, so according that you'd steer away whilst cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by bigeater
    Do you think itīs ok to eat cottage cheese with almonds while cutting?
    I don't personally nor do i have my sister. It makes me bloated and have the 'soft' look everyone talks about.

Thanks for all advice. What should I add in for protein though? Any interesting ideas? I prefer something quick and easy since I have a 1 year old, time does not allow me to cook 5 meals a day. What does she generally eat for her 212 grams of protein?

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    quick and easy...

Are u a fan of canned meats? i'm a student i live of that stuff u can buy flavored tuna or u can spice it up with stir fry rice and veggies...

But my best suggestion is ...one day sunday saturday cook your meat chicken,eggs,beef, turkey, cottage cheese (doesnt need to be cooked), etc... for the week it will save u to time Mon-Fri store it in tupper ware and u can literally grab and go.

Quote Originally Posted by prncezzml
    Thanks for all advice. What should I add in for protein though? Any interesting ideas? I prefer something quick and easy since I have a 1 year old, time does not allow me to cook 5 meals a day. What does she generally eat for her 212 grams of protein?
    My sister is a freshman this year, we are living in a house together so it makes it a little easier to cook etc.

She hates tuna so she doesn't eat that.

sticks with
    -egg whites
    -turkey
    -chicken
    -steak
    -salmon
    -(1 scoop) whey after her workout

I hate tuna too ick, I force myself to eat it occasionally. Canned meat, I can't do it. The flavored tuna is OK but I truly just hate tuna And after that other thread I just read about eating just 4 oz a week is over the EPA limit for mercury for my body weight. So basically stick with lean meat and cut out the dairy and muscle milk (how about muscle milk light? mm just tastes so good with oats!) Thanks guys!

I hate tuna too ick, I force myself to eat it occasionally. Canned meat, I can't do it. The flavored tuna is OK but I truly just hate tuna And after that other thread I just read about eating just 4 oz a week is over the EPA limit for mercury for my body weight. So basically stick with lean meat and cut out the dairy and muscle milk (how about muscle milk light? mm just tastes so good with oats!) Thanks guys!
    hey prnc.

Muscle milk is crap the fat is saturated coming from canola oil or cocunut i belive thats why it taste sooo good...

I would just cook your meat one day and store it in tupper ware so there should be no problems....

IF your having trouble eating oats.... How bout this

Oats/Splenda/Water/Sugar free syrup

Oats pour your shake over it ...

Or if you feel like spenidn money this is a real good alternative for ya

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/oat.html

make sure u buy the sugar free kind...

OK, thanks, oats and splenda isn't too bad, my BF just has me used to the muscle milk because he eats it all the time! (too bad he's bulking and I'm trying to lean down LOL)
    Last edited by prncezzml; 12-06-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Faizka is correct...stuff is way overpriced and full of junk! Ya, stick to water/oats/whey for PWO. I love oats/splenda/sugar free syrup/i cant believe its not butter in my oats and grits!

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Dude, mix canned tuna with some turkey and mayo - makes a great fat / pro meal i think. doens't taste like tuna shit at all

I do Miracle Whip Light and sweet relish, but I still can't stomach it. Maybe I will try throwing some turkey in.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I do Miracle Whip Light and sweet relish, but I still can't stomach it. Maybe I will try throwing some turkey in.
    kills the whole fishy taste a lot. at least for me it does. try adding some cholula on top (kinda like a tabasco, but way better tasting)

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member
    How about peanuts? Almonds? etc......

Venum is offline Member
    canned chicken from costo is really really good and cheap...you can try ground turkey meat, cooks very fast too..throw some seasoning on it (i like taco mix) and you can make alot at once to eat through out the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus
    How about peanuts? Almonds? etc......
    On tuna? Or just to eat for protein? It has a lot of fat. I know it's "good" fat, but I'm kinda skeptical about it.

On tuna? Or just to eat for protein? It has a lot of fat. I know it's "good" fat, but I'm kinda skeptical about it.
    Don't be skeptical about almonds. I think columbus was referring eating it with your tuna...not on top.
    I have my sister eat a handful of almonds or mixed nuts with her lean meat (pro/fat meal). Nuts have protein but not a sufficient amount...we eat them for their healthy fats.
    -nuts
    -flax
    -olive oil
    -fish oil
    -full fat cheese
    -steak
    -salmon are all excellent fat sources

I have somewhat of an addictive personality, so once I start eating something that you eat "handfuls" of, I just keep eating them LOL so I'm gonna stay away. I eat steak at least 3-4 times a week though, and sushi tuna so that's probably sufficient for healthy fats right?
    Last edited by prncezzml; 12-07-2006 at 08:53 PM.

I eat lots of filet and 97% lean burgers with no bread or cheese. That's probably sufficient for healthy fats right?
    ya, that would be fine.
    I would recommend some red meat at least 1-2 X's per week.

Thanks for all your good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    I don't personally nor do i have my sister. It makes me bloated and have the 'soft' look everyone talks about.
    So if I skip cottage cheese, what do you suggest that I eat for my last meal before bed?

I could eat salmon but it is high in mercury so I should problary eat it at most 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by bigeater
    So if I skip cottage cheese, what do you suggest that I eat for my last meal before bed?
    not everyone bloats from cottage cheese, i belive some ppl don't have certain type or the proper enzymes to digest lactose, so they bloat.

You could use,

Salmon, tuna, a casien shake, egg protein, egg white protein and fish would do just fine as your last meal

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I think I would starve if I only ate 1882 calories! But you are right about the dairy and muscle milk, they aren't helping any.
    You'd starve on 1800 calories? Very doubtful with the amount of LBM you have.

Have you ever played with your diet to see what your maintenance caloric intake/day actually is?
    1800calories in whole nutritious foods is actually quite a bit for a woman.
    Most of my girls I have on around 1300-1500 calories when losing BF depending on muscle mass/metabolism/amount of activity amongst other things.

Personally I'd drop the fats a bit and up the carbs. 200grams of protein is going a bit overboard as well IMO.

Audi: Your sister is 11% BF and she wants to continue leaning? Have you ever seen a true 11% on a girl.. I'm sure she's already missing her menstrual cycle at that BF and vascular as hell.
    Last edited by IBdmfkr; 12-08-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr

Have you ever played with your diet to see what your maintenance caloric intake/day actually is?
    Most of my girls I have on around 1300-1500 calories when losing BF depending on muscle mass/metabolism/amount of activity amongst other things.

Personally I'd drop the fats a bit and up the carbs. 200grams of protein is going a bit overboard as well IMO.

Audi: Your sister is 11% BF and she wants to continue leaning? Have you ever seen a true 11% on a girl.. I'm sure she's already missing her menstrual cycle at that BF and vascular as hell.
    I think I am 6% and Feel like total and complete shit........numbness, cold, no eneregy.......sucks.....11% on a female is dangerous......agreed with lowering the protein content....

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    What I add to my tuna is horse raddish, it's one of the best fishy taste killer.
    That's IF You like horse raddish, some people can't stand it.

I've been playing with my diet since my baby was born. What worked before, isn't working now, obviously because I'm smaller, reached a plateau and quit breastfeeding. So that's why I come on here and ask questions My BF (and guys on here) suggets to me eating lots of whole foods now (plain oats with splenda, chicken breast and broccoli, tuna sashimi, egg whites). I just started about 2 days ago, but I am still at 2400 calories at least. On Fitday I calculated my daily calorie intake needs and it is 2759 for my weight (145) and daily activities (that is not including days I workout, I have a 1 year old so I am moving all day). So...I am going to try working my way down to 1800 but I don't know if that's going to happen.

What kind of carbs do you suggest that will keep me full? Oh I also eat a sweet potato at least once a day usually with my lean beef hamburger.

Low GI carbs...

oats,yams, brown rice, grits,cream of wheat to help keep me full i encorporte alot of veggies with all my meals *( broccoli,spinach green beans)

[QUOTE=I**mfkr]You'd starve on 1800 calories? Very doubtful with the amount of LBM you have.

Audi: Your sister is 11% BF and she wants to continue leaning? Have you ever seen a true 11% on a girl.. I'm sure she's already missing her menstrual cycle at that BF and vascular as hell.[QUOTE]
    isn't mizfit about 11%? I don't know, you can see her abs, I'm guessing it's lower anyways. No she's not leaning right now, she's maintaining. She'll lean out before summer I'm assuming.

My wife is 13% according to calibers and you can see her abs. She's even on the too lean side IMO and will frequently miss her period etc if she drops BF occasionally.
    Btw Audi, I've spoken to Miz about her diet in the past and she doesn't get anywhere near 2000calories/day from what I remember.

prncezzml: 2750 calories? LMAO.. I'm sorry but at 145lbs and your activity level/LBM that is nowhere near what you need to eat/day.

I know male atheletes who are 175lbs, 8% who eat that to maintain bodyweight.

Btw, changing a diaper and running after a kid all day isn't considered high activity (your heart rate does not exceed 120bpm and stay there for a constant period of time). Construction would be considered high-activity.

Also, drop the shakes and switch to wholefoods, you'll notice how fuller you will feel and how eating calories alone will drop your caloric intake for the day quite a bit rather than taking your shakes.
    Best bet is to post up your current diet for critique.

My wife is 13% according to calibers and you can see her abs. She's even on the too lean side IMO and will frequently miss her period etc if she drops BF occasionally.
    Btw Audi, I've spoken to Miz about her diet in the past and she doesn't get anywhere near 2000calories/day from what I remember.

prncezzml: 2750 calories? LMAO.. I'm sorry but at 145lbs and your activity level/LBM that is nowhere near what you need to eat/day.

Btw, changing a diaper and running after a kid all day isn't considered high activity (your heart rate does not exceed 120bpm and stay there for a constant period of time). Construction would be considered high-activity.

Also, drop the shakes and switch to wholefoods, you'll notice how fuller you will feel and how eating calories alone will drop your caloric intake for the day quite a bit rather than taking your shakes.
    oh gotcha, ya it was just a guess, shes pretty lean but we should actually check her.
    ya, 2,750 cals is a lot....thats more than I'm eating

That's the thing about the net, you can take what ppl say for what it is.

Most everything ppl type is BS and guesstimates that they claim facts.

Best to do your own research rather than take advice from ppl on forums, it has literally gotten me nowhere reading threads over the years but rather listening to certain individuals who were kind enough to take time out of their day to educate me.

You guys know who you are.

I've already posted it, they told me to add more protein, I added more protein and then I get told it's too much by you guys. I don't have myself calculated as high activity on FitDay, I have it calculated as moderate which has an example of general housework. So, i don't know who's right??? I am not trying to get to 11% bodyfat guys, just get my pre-pregnancy body back (GH is helping with that). All your input is much appreciated though, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    Low GI carbs...

oats,yams, brown rice, grits,cream of wheat to help keep me full i encorporte alot of veggies with all my meals *( broccoli,spinach green beans)
    OK so as long as I stick to complex carbs it is OK to have higher carbs? There is so much conflicting information out there.

No, just because they are good sources of carbs doesnt mean you can eat more of them.. lets say...

This is your break down

2000 cals 250 protein 110 carbs 60 fat ... lets say

110 grams should come rougly from a few meals evenly spaced say 40grams in the morning ...... 40 grams post training and say 30 with another meal.. the rest would be protein and fat meal (mix)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information