Thread: Bmr

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member

Bmr

When calcualting your tototal cals needed for bulking or cutting, is the BMR + or - 500 to 1,000 the way to go about it?

Any good link to what you use?

jdspinna is offline Associate Member
    Once you figure out your BMR, you can use the Harris Benedict Formula to figure out what your daliy calorie needs are. From there you would add or subtract 500 cals and see if you gain quality weight. Make adjustments from there.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Quote Originally Posted by jdspinna
    Once you figure out your BMR, you can use the Harris Benedict Formula to figure out what your daliy calorie needs are. From there you would add or subtract 500 cals and see if you gain quality weight. Make adjustments from there.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    GOTCHA....so my bmr right now is 1754. I train 5x a week and one or two cardio days....sometimes no cardio but always 5 days in the gym....

1754X1.55 = 2704.75 this is to maintain? Increase by 100 to gain?

jdspinna is offline Associate Member
    It's all going to be relative to how your body responds. I would start out with 500 cal increase. 100 is almost nothing. If the calculation is fairly accurate adding 500 cals a day should add about 1lb a week.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    personally i would increase in 2-300 increments unless you are certain that you don't gain fat too easily. also a great way to get your true bmr is to have it tested at a gym or nutrition center.

I'm goping to start with 250.....sound good? Does it look fairly accurate for 6'2, 160lbs?

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    IMO the thiing about the Harris/B. formula looks great on paper but thats about it.

I think it really comes down to what percentages PRO/CHO/Fats works for you
    (Not saying you didnt already think of this)

I think its a great starting point but no more than.

Thread Information