Thread: good fat

rrrddd is offline Junior Member

Question good fat

what do you consider ''good'' fat to be and what percentage of your diet should it make up. i have always been told that all fat is bad if you want to add lean muscle and cut up. now i am really confused.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Wooooo,

bro you need fat to survive. And because of this fat is GOOD. As with all things though you can have to much of a good thing!

For years now the margarine manufacturers have been bombarding us with the notion that poly and mono unsaturated fats are better for us than saturated fats. Sadly this just isn't true.

See this thread:

http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...threadid=10370

I'd recommend you get some basic sports nutrition books from your library or from amazon.com etc. and learn up on the basics.

Traditional fat loss diets (for bodybuilders!) is low fat and whilst this works there is the ketogenic diet which is high fat. Both work so research both methods and pick the one you think you'll be happiest with.

Above all else remember that you only lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat. Research how to keep your metabolism up and the best way to eat throughout the day.

Good luck bro!

def

NightOp is offline Member
    Fat plays a very very important role in both health and muscle/mass increases.

goto > http://weightrainer.virtualave.net/ .. let the WHOLE page load, then goto the Articles link (left side of site) and then goto Nutrition Articles and then read the Fat article.... absolute best article on fat I've ever seen.... WORTH READING. (i would post a direct link but the way the site is setup, i can't sorry... just find it )

Here is another good article, but not as good as the above one simply because the above one is more in depth....
    Attached Files Attached Files

thanks for the link nightop, can anyone tell me how they are getting their daily fat intake [what types of fatty food do you eat]

NightOp is offline Member
    30% of my calories are based on fats... To get the exact "ideal" ratio and amounts of the omegas is nearly impossible... Its ok to be off 5 grams here and there.... a planned diet for health and muscle growth is going to be much better than the average person's diet regardless and look how long people leve despite all of this.

As to your question, those links and article cover this very well but I get my fats mostly from peanuts (natural peanut butter NOT regular.. regular is very bad ... full of transfatty acids) and fish (sardines, tuna in sunflower oil, etc...) the rest is just present as a result of my protein and carb sources (such as animal fat present in my meats...) .

adamar71 is offline New Member
    i've started taking a combination flax & borage oil. these are supposed to be the "omega twins". they are supposed to be "good" fats. if you use your search engine and look up flax seed oil and borage seed oil, you will find some good info. also, i posted a little bit of info about borage oil in the supplement forum. i saw someone else, i can't remember who, posted info about flax seed oil. i bought the all in one combo and take about 2 tbl spoons a day, in my a.m. protein shake. hope you look up the info, maybe it will help. i know you get your omega 3's & 6's, with the combo and it is cheaper and supposedly better than buying them seperately. might be something you might want to research
    Last edited by adamar71; 08-04-2002 at 01:35 AM.

adamar71 is offline New Member
    here is the info for you, hope it helps.

With our fat phobia and the resultant barrage of low fat and non-fat food products lining the grocery store aisles, a recommendation to supplement your daily diet with one to two tablespoons of essential fatty acid rich flax or borage seed oil would appear to go against what you are being told. To the contrary, this is exactly what health conscious consumers are doing across the country, not only to attain and maintain optimal health, but in many instances, as a treatment for the over 60 health ailments the essential fatty acids have been scientifically validated to benefit.

It is true Americans should not consume more than 20-30% of daily calories as fats, a lack of the dietary essential fatty acids has been suggested to facilitate degenerative disease. Surveys indicate that at least 80% of our population is deficient in the essential fatty acids, this may present a serious health threat. Unfortunately, mass commercial refinement of fats and oils products and foods containing them has effectively eliminated the essential fatty acids from our food chain, contributing to our modern day deficiency.

Nature's most potent concentration of GLA comes in the form of borage seed oil (24%). A great deal of scientific research has been conducted with supplements rich in GLA, resulting in significant interest regarding the aforementioned health ailments, as well as those affected by pre-menstrual syndrome, benign breast disease, eczema, psoriasis, obesity, and vascular disorders.

The essential fatty acids combined here have proven to impart a regulatory function on the body's fatty acid metabolism. Fat metabolism is as important, if not more critical, than our body's metabolism of proteins and carbohydrates as evidenced by the drastic rise in fat related degenerative diseases, such as vascular disease and strokes. Dietary essential fatty acids common to borage seed oil are ultimately converted to hormone-like substances known as prostaglandins, and are important for the regulation of a host of bodily functions including:

o inflammation, swelling, & pain
    o pressure in the eye, joints or blood vessels
    o secretions from mucus membranes and their viscosity
    o smooth muscle & autonomic reflexes, gastrointestinal, arterial, ear, heart
    o water retention
    o blood clotting ability
    o allergic response
    o rheumatoid arthritis
    o nerve transmission
    o steroid production & hormone synthesis

Scientists continue to discover regulating effects of prostaglandins. Without the essential fatty acids, the building blocks of prostaglandins, a malfunction of fat metabolism is certain, as are problems in the regulation of the above listed bodily functions.

For some individuals, flax seed oil may offer only half of the solution. Those deficient in co-factor nutrients, specifically the vitamins pro-A, A, C, E, B2, B6, pantothenic acid, B12, biotin, and the minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, and zinc, sometimes have difficulty in converting the omega-6 fatty acid, linoleic acid, found in borage and other seed oils to the healthful prostaglandins. See NutraPack product that offers all of these if you need a great multi-vitamin.

Still others are thought to lack the necessary enzyme (catalyst) to make this conversion; particularly those afflicted with diabetes, asthma, cystic fibrosis, multiple sclerosis, alcoholism and the aged. For those suffering from co-factor deficiencies, a broad spectrum multi-vitamin and mineral may be recommended with, perhaps, an oil supplement rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). Individuals who may lack the proper enzyme system would require a GLA supplement in addition to the flax seed oil. Nature's most potent concentration of GLA comes in the form of borage seed oil (24%).

When considering an essential fatty acid supplement and deciding on either flax or borage seed oils, the most sensible solution may be a formulation of the two. The combination of both flax and borage seed oil provides nature's best of the omega-3 fatty acids in flax with the best of omega-6 fatty acids in GLA rich borage oil. This option has now been made available by a flax & borage oil product called Advanced Omega by Symmetry.

Supplementation with flax seed & borage seed oils makes good sense for the following reasons:

1. Omega-3 fatty acids and GLA together on the production of beneficial prostaglandins.

2. Over 60 health problems have proven to benefit from both flax seed and borage seed supplements.

3. Flax seed oil combined with borage seed oil work together for even better results.

4. Flax seed and borage seed oils combined is less expensive than purchasing them separately.

Conclusion :
    The answer appears not to be no fat, but the right fat, as common to flax and borage seed oils, to achieve optimal health.

Past and present scientific research supports the use of essential fatty acid nutrients in promoting optimal health. Borage seed oil is recognized as nature's richest source of GLA. These natural plant substances used alone have created a great deal of interest in the treatment of numerous health problems. Evidence exists to suggest the combination of omega-3 fatty acids with gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) may further complement the therapeutic result of either fatty acid used singularly.

Other Borage Seed Information:

Scientists at the University of Pennsylvania have reported that high doses of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) were highly effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis. An earlier study by the same group had shown that administration of 1,100 mg. of GLA per day from borage seed oil reduced synovitis in six of seven patients with rheumatoid arthritis. GLA is rapidly converted to dihomogamma-linolenic acid, the immediate precursor of prostaglandin E1 which is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. Nature's most potent concentration (24%) of GLA comes in the form of borage seed oil.

Other benefits of Borage Seed GLA include:

1.Vasodilation of blood vessels which can reduce high blood pressure.

2.Reduction of abnormal blood clotting which can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke
    3.Enhanced regulation of immune response, specifically a reduction in autoimmune dysfunction, the underlying cause of rheumatoid arthritis.

4.Enhanced defense against abnormal cell proliferation which may prevent and even reverse some cancers.

5.Elimination of common skin disorder such as eczema.

6.Slowing of some aspects of normal aging.

i really appreciate you taking the time to look that up. i will try GNC tomorrow and see if the have the combo.

Thread Information