reddragon4954 is offline Member

How much protein can you absorb???

I eat every two hours and try to take in 50grams of protein at each sitting. I was wondering does anyone know roughly how much you can take in at a sitting(every 2-3hrs) w/o the rest being wasted?

reddragon4954 is offline Member
    bump

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    it depends your macros and how much calories you need mate.
    but i would say nothing over 50g in one sitting.

for me i dont go over 40 personally.

GrowingMuscle is offline Junior Member
    I believe it also matters if you are on cycle or not. Steroids increase protein synthesis.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Largely dependent on weight and LBM

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with chest/growing muscle, everyones going to be a little different also. As soon as you start shitting and farting alot you know your taking in too much, thats what I base it on, thatll tell you weather or not your wasting alot of what your putting in.

Vinlander is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reddragon4954
    I eat every two hours and try to take in 50grams of protein at each sitting. I was wondering does anyone know roughly how much you can take in at a sitting(every 2-3hrs) w/o the rest being wasted?
    A good rule of thumb is 35g every 2 hours for proper digestion. Anything more (unless you have an incredible metabolism) is usually being wasted and you'll have to consume 1.5x your body weight to get the necessary amount for growth.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    There is a study being done on this as we speak. I can't wait to here the results as it is a question that has plagued sports nutrition for years.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    I think your body can absorb more and more as you progress with bodybuilding, I used to have to remember to eat every 2 hrs, nowadays I'm STARVING hungry after 90 mins.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    There is a study being done on this as we speak. I can't wait to here the results as it is a question that has plagued sports nutrition for years.
    Whats the outline of the study? Who is doing it?

Some stuff to throw out there - but we ahve known for a long time that protein intake for bodybuilders is greater than current recommendations...

Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders.
    J Appl Physiol. 1992 Aug;73(2):767-75.
    • Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA.
    School of Biomedical Sciences, Kent State University, Ohio 44242.
    This randomized double-blind cross-over study assessed protein (PRO) requirements during the early stages of intensive bodybuilding training and determined whether supplemental PRO intake (PROIN) enhanced muscle mass/strength gains. Twelve men [22.4 +/- 2.4 (SD) yr] received an isoenergetic PRO (total PROIN 2.62 g.kg-1.day-1) or carbohydrate (CHO; total PROIN 1.35 g.kg-1.day-1) supplement for 1 mo each during intensive (1.5 h/day, 6 days/wk) weight training. On the basis of 3-day nitrogen balance (NBAL) measurements after 3.5 wk on each treatment (8.9 +/- 4.2 and -3.4 +/- 1.9 g N/day, respectively), the PROIN necessary for zero NBAL (requirement) was 1.4-1.5 g.kg-1.day-1. The recommended intake (requirement + 2 SD) was 1.6-1.7 g.kg-1.day-1. However, strength (voluntary and electrically evoked) and muscle mass [density, creatinine excretion, muscle area (computer axial tomography scan), and biceps N content] gains were not different between diet treatments. These data indicate that, during the early stages of intensive bodybuilding training, PRO needs are approximately 100% greater than current recommendations but that PROIN increases from 1.35 to 2.62 g.kg-1.day-1 do not enhance muscle mass/strength gains, at least during the 1st mo of training. Whether differential gains would occur with longer training remains to be determined.

Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes.
    J Appl Physiol. 1992 Nov;73(5):1986-95.
    • Tarnopolsky MA, Atkinson SA, MacDougall JD, Chesley A, Phillips S, Schwarcz HP.
    Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Leucine kinetic and nitrogen balance (NBAL) methods were used to determine the dietary protein requirements of strength athletes (SA) compared with sedentary subjects (S). Individual subjects were randomly assigned to one of three protein intakes: low protein (LP) = 0.86 g protein.kg-1.day-1, moderate protein (MP) = 1.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1, or high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1 for 13 days for each dietary treatment. NBAL was measured and whole body protein synthesis (WBPS) and leucine oxidation were determined from L-[1-13C]leucine turnover. NBAL data were used to determine that the protein intake for zero NBAL for S was 0.69 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.41 g.kg-1.day-1. A suggested recommended intake for S was 0.89 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.76 g.kg-1.day-1. For SA, the LP diet did not provide adequate protein and resulted in an accommodated state (decreased WBPS vs. MP and HP), and the MP diet resulted in a state of adaptation [increase in WBPS (vs. LP) and no change in leucine oxidation (vs. LP)]. The HP diet did not result in increased WBPS compared with the MP diet, but leucine oxidation did increase significantly, indicating a nutrient overload. For S the LP diet provided adequate protein, and increasing protein intake did not increase WBPS. On the HP diet leucine oxidation increased for S. These results indicated that the MP and HP diets were nutrient overloads for S. There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass (creatinine excretion, body density) for either group. In summary, protein requirements for athletes performing strength training are greater than for sedentary individuals and are above current Canadian and US recommended daily protein intake requirements for young healthy males.

Soup's On ? Protein Intake in a Single Meal (08/25/00)

Cy Willson: Here's a hot topic for you guys. People often ask me about how much protein can and should be eaten in a single muscle building meal. Although there may not be a single number given that can be applied to everyone because of the variables involved in protein metabolism (LBM, REE, T3-T4 levels, Testosterone , insulin , the list goes on and on), I'll say that based on size, a minimum of 40 grams per sitting should work well for everyone. It's important that people know that those amino acids do a heck of a lot more than build muscle. You need them to form a lot of various hormones and neurotransmitters, as well as other important constituents in the human body.

A maximum protein intake is much harder to estimate. In the real world, many guys consume amounts in the 60 to 90 gram range. By in large, these same men have all been successful in their bodybuilding efforts. Another thing to consider is the role that timing plays in how much you should consume in one sitting. Obviously, you should consume the largest amounts when rising and before going to bed. I feel you should also increase the amount of protein directly following a workout. Okay, what do you guys think?

John M. Berardi: I agree completely on this point. Actually, this topic has been debated in the absence of data for far too long. Just to let you all in on a little secret, I'm aware of a research protocol being designed right now to investigate this very question! Pretty soon we should have some data that will tell us just how much protein can be absorbed in a single sitting. Exciting, right Lonnie? So Lonnie, to go one step further with this question, do you know of any good "adjunct" nutrients that may actually help us digest and metabolize even higher levels of daily or "per meal" protein intake?

Lonnie Lowrey: There's been talk of using bromelain and papain enzymes from pineapples and papaya, respectively, to increase protein digestion. The truth is, digestion of many proteins already averages above 90%, so I doubt they'll help much in this regard. I will say that when consuming powdered proteins, I personally try to double the fluid volume that most supplement labels recommend. This helps to keep me from continually "assaulting the porcelain," if you know what I mean. Nobody's going to grow with a thick, osmotic nightmare of nutrients dragging out their backside. I also try to eat some solid food with reconstituted protein drinks and MRPs for similar reasons.

Could this be what Berardi was referring to?

Latency, duration and dose response relationships of amino acid effects on human muscle protein synthesis.
    J Nutr. 2002 Oct;132(10):3225S-7S.
    Division of Molecular Physiology, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom. [email protected]

The components of the stimulatory effect of food on net deposition of protein are beginning to be identified and separated. One of the most important of these appears to be the effect of amino acids per se in stimulating muscle anabolism. Amino acids appear to have a linear stimulatory effect within the range of normal diurnal plasma concentrations from postabsorptive to postprandial. Within this range, muscle protein synthesis (measured by incorporation of stable isotope tracers of amino acids into biopsied muscle protein) appears to be stimulated approximately twofold; however, little further increase occurs when very high concentrations of amino acids (>2.5 times the normal postabsorptive plasma concentration) are made available. Amino acids provided in surfeit of the ability of the system to synthesize protein are disposed of by oxidation, ureagenesis and gluconeogenesis. The stimulatory effect of amino acids appears to be time dependent; a square wave increase in the availability of amino acids causes muscle protein synthesis to be stimulated and to fall back to basal values, despite continued amino acid availability. The relationship between muscle protein synthesis and insulin availability suggests that most of the stimulatory effects occur at low insulin concentrations, with large increases having no effect. These findings may have implications for our understanding of the body's requirements for protein. The maximal capacity for storage of amino acids as muscle protein probably sets an upper value on the extent to which amino acids can be stored after a single meal.

FULL TEXT

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Whats the outline of the study? Who is doing it?
    I heard about it on a Berrardi interview last week. Ill try and find the details.

Anavar Man is offline Member
    The common concensus is that you cannot assililate more than 50g of protien per meal. I disagree, I think that if you are in the 240 to 260lbs range the number may fall closer to 70 or 80g per serving. IMO

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinlander
    A good rule of thumb is 35g every 2 hours for proper digestion. Anything more (unless you have an incredible metabolism) is usually being wasted and you'll have to consume 1.5x your body weight to get the necessary amount for growth.
    And you came to this "rule of thumb" how?

So a 130lb man should consume the same amount as a 270lb man?

timtim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6

was thinking the same thing. i would assume body size and experience - running a high protein diet for years and years - would dictate how much is used.

GrowingMuscle is offline Junior Member
    chest6, why would you say this when he said?

you'll have to consume 1.5x your body weight to get the necessary amount for growh.
    I am only stating this because I have been noticing a lot of your posts. You seem to be very contentious. Chill out bro.

Vinlander, I agree it is good to at least eat 35g per meal and 1.5g of protein per pound sounds good. Good post bro!
    Last edited by GrowingMuscle; 03-25-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Weight/height has NOTHING to do with metabolism at all. There are 6'2 guys who're a lean 180 and can't gain weight, as well as some who are 5'8, eat the same amount of food and are morbidly obese.

It's called a "rule of thumb" because it's a generalization. As with anything, do what works for your body but 35g is a good place to start.

How do you gauge whether it's enough/too much? How often do you go to the bathroom? If you excrete 1/2lb more than once/day (a full bowel movement), then you're probably consuming too much protein and it's not metabolizing correctly.

I'm sure you still doubt this but it's the same with any drug; just because you're 6'2 doesn't mean you take 5 aspirin. There's a recommended amount that everyone's liver/kidneys should take as a maximum and that's it. Regardless of mass.

Also, keep in mind that you're calculating protein intake off of LEAN BODY MASS, not total weight.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure there are general guidelines you could follow, but the best thing to do would be to experiment. I used to follow the "general rules" of around 30-45gms/meal. It's difficult to get even 1.5gms/lb when consuming this amount even 6 times a day. Currently, I'm counting every macro, gram-for-gram and monitoring my weight, bf, and strength. I'm around 50-60gms/meal and haven't put on any fat (only been doing this for about 2 weeks). Give it a run yourself to see what works for YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    I'm sure there are general guidelines you could follow, but the best thing to do would be to experiment. I used to follow the "general rules" of around 30-45gms/meal. It's difficult to get even 1.5gms/lb when consuming this amount even 6 times a day. Currently, I'm counting every macro, gram-for-gram and monitoring my weight, bf, and strength. I'm around 50-60gms/meal and haven't put on any fat (only been doing this for about 2 weeks). Give it a run yourself to see what works for YOU.
    Oh, we're not in disagreement whatsoever. If your body has the capacity to absorb 50-60, rock on, bro. I think it's terrific. But just like not everyone is going to walk into a gym right off and be able to bust 2 plates 10x on a flat bench, some will. A good rule of thumb is to start at what most people do and find your own niche.

That's all I was suggesting.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Oh, we're not in disagreement whatsoever. If your body has the capacity to absorb 50-60, rock on, bro. I think it's terrific. But just like not everyone is going to walk into a gym right off and be able to bust 2 plates 10x on a flat bench, some will. A good rule of thumb is to start at what most people do and find your own niche.

That's all I was suggesting.
    No doubt. I wasn't callin you out if thats what it sounded like. I just try to get people to experiment on their own rather than always follow the general concensus. I used to do the same for a while, then I began to experiment on my own and have had pretty great.

Thread Information