MFT81 is offline Senior Member

Cool oatmeal and eggs everyones fav. topic

Question 1.

I mix plain dry oats with skim milk and a bit of flavoring and drink it each morining (No I dont put protein in it cause im out right now and broke)

I dont think its working well because they arent cooked, and dosent have that gel/glue like consistancy that cooked oats do? Is there a big diff or am I just paranoid. Should I blend up the oats instead?

Question 2.

Also, I cant justify spending extra $ on egg beaters to mix with morining oat/milk shake plus I usually eat about 10 egg whites hard boiled with it....

how dumb would it be to use raw egg whites with the whole salmonella risk?

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    for me i would just microwave the oats for two minutes.
    then take them out and mix them very well.
    then they get the glue like consistancy.
    i say why not cook them? your there to enjoy food mate not torture yourself.
    but you have them the way you are if you like.

as for the eggs, yes i wouldnt recommend you eat them raw not a good idea in my opinion, i always cook my eggs.
    for the salmonella reason is for one and second, my diet is brutal enough i want to enjoy my food.

good luck with it.

the reason i was eating the oats plain uncooked was because of convience and because I dont have a problem eating 1/12 cups like that when they are cooked it doubles in size cause they soak up the milk and i get to full.

I just thought that the heat help broke down the fiber content and I was getting more usable carbs that way,

maybe I just under estimate my digestive system though.......

it wasnt/isnt tourture I kinda like the taste that way,

and yeah I figured the eggs was a bad idea just wanted to know if anyone else might of done this and had no probs.

well if they have done the egg thing or not and they had no problem, it shouldnt be done.

as for the oats yes you can have them uncooked if you like.

I eat raw egg whites (cracked fresh from the egg) all the time. Never had a problem with salmonella (sp). Egg whites give me some hellasious farts tho.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    cook your eggs. this has been discussed about as much as pro wrestlers using steroids .

and as far as the oats go if they are cooked it slightly lowers the GI, but i have eaten my oats uncooked for years with great success. i use water cinnamon and splenda. but honestly, cook the eggs, the bioavailablity is so very low of uncooked eggs it isnt worth your money to eat them raw. cook em.

NewJuice is offline Associate Member
    Hey bro Im with ya,,,, I throw a half dozen raw egg whites in my shakes all the time. Its just so fast and easy. I have never had a problem. I buy the extra large ***** 3 eggs. Not sure if that makes it OK I was just tossing it out there. Anything I can do to take in food easy I do...

I wrote *****3 and for some reason it got blocked

I wrote *****3 and for some reason it got blocked

WHY IS O.M.E.G.A keep getting blocked?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by MFT81
    Question 1.

I mix plain dry oats with skim milk and a bit of flavoring and drink it each morining (No I dont put protein in it cause im out right now and broke)

I dont think its working well because they arent cooked, and dosent have that gel/glue like consistancy that cooked oats do? Is there a big diff or am I just paranoid. Should I blend up the oats instead?

Question 2.

Also, I cant justify spending extra $ on egg beaters to mix with morining oat/milk shake plus I usually eat about 10 egg whites hard boiled with it....

how dumb would it be to use raw egg whites with the whole salmonella risk?
    I don't see any reason why the uncooked oats would be any less beneficial than cooked.

I don't think its a very good idea to eat raw eggs... granted the risk of salmonella is pretty low (1 in 30,000 eggs) but if you're the winner of that one egg, you can wind up in the hospital and lose 30 lbs, and a portion of your intestine. If you drink 10 whites every day, thats 3650 per year... statistically somewhere in the span of 8.2 years you're going to get a bad one.

For me, it's worth buying the egg whites in cartons already pasteurized (about $2 for 2 days worth of whites).

Here, a dozen eggs is like $.79 so its worth it to me to spend that extra twenty cents every day.
    Last edited by AandF6969; 04-02-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewJuice
    WHY IS O.M.E.G.A keep getting blocked?
    Maybe its the name of a lab? Just a guess.

Looks like we cant talk about O.MEGA 3-6-9 fatty acids then... wtf

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    I don't see any reason why the uncooked oats would be any less beneficial than cooked.

I don't think its a very good idea to eat raw eggs... granted the risk of salmonella is pretty low (1 in 30,000 eggs) but if you're the winner of that one egg, you can wind up in the hospital and lose 30 lbs, and a portion of your intestine. If you drink 10 whites every day, thats 3650 per year... statistically somewhere in the span of 8.2 years you're going to get a bad one.

For me, it's worth buying the egg whites in cartons already pasteurized (about $2 for 2 days worth of whites).

Here, a dozen eggs is like $.79 so its worth it to me to spend that extra twenty cents every day.

wow, thanks for the egg math!

I pretty much knew what most would say and have continued to eat hard boiled eggs and now drink my oat and milk shakes with confidence,

thanks to everyone for there time on such a boring topic.......

Quote Originally Posted by MFT81
    wow, thanks for the egg math!

I pretty much knew what most would say and have continued to eat hard boiled eggs and now drink my oat and milk shakes with confidence,

thanks to everyone for there time on such a boring topic.......
    No prob bob, just keep hard boiling, you'll be glad you did...

im glad you listened to the advice
    and np everyone here is to help each other out

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by collar
    im glad you listened to the advice
    and np everyone here is to help each other out

U told me not to ever cook me eggs....

Thread Information