Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    daytrader is offline Member

Question Yam vs. sweet potato

I noticed a yam has 42 carbs per 150gs and sweet potato has 42 for 200gs... Do you perfer one over the other while cutting?... I eat mainly yams for my carb becuase this is what my grocery store sells in bulk... But do you think one is better than the other for cutting... or is their basically no difference?

Thanks bros

Zanelike is offline Associate Member
    sweet potatoes actually have a slightly lower GI rating than yams, so in that regards they will produce a slightly insulin response. Is it significant enough to worry about? I don't think so, but that's my opinion.

nyjetsfan86 is offline Anabolic Member
    The yam and sweet potato are quite different plants, although they may look somewhat alike. In most cases, if you are eating a very sweet orange or yellow fleshed potato, you are actually eating a sweet potato and not a yam. Unless you’re shopping at an international market, or happen to be consuming your meal in Africa, chances are that you are consuming a sweet potato.

jixxxer is offline Associate Member
    I always thought they were the same thing

nope completly different

Jakspro is offline Member
    I believe true "yams" are green in color somewhat, maybe?

K.Biz is offline Banned
    all i no is yams the kind that taste like candy are f*ckin awsome.

"candied yams", but if you read my post from before most of you are eating sweet potatos and calling them yams

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan86
    The yam and sweet potato are quite different plants, although they may look somewhat alike. In most cases, if you are eating a very sweet orange or yellow fleshed potato, you are actually eating a sweet potato and not a yam. Unless you’re shopping at an international market, or happen to be consuming your meal in Africa, chances are that you are consuming a sweet potato.
    Really... Hmm i need to get this right because they are quite different in macros as well... I dunno where i shop says Bulk YAMS what i buy... they also sell sweet potatoes but indivdually wrapped so i go with the yams they are cheaper ....I do notice SOME not much but some green in it.. but it is orange in color for the most part

people started calling sweet potatos yams bc when the africans came to the united states they saw a sweet potato which looks very similar to a yam and started calling it a yam bc thats what they thought it was but regular supermarkets dont sell yams

Those no good sandbaggin SOBS... Theyre screwin with my daily macros!!! Argh!... So i guess ill start going by 42 carbs for every 200gs condusive with a SP rather than 42 carbs per every 150 like ive been doing for Yams.....

Good lookin NYJets

hahaha sandbaggin SOBS

Zanelike is offline Associate Member
    people started calling sweet potatos yams bc when the africans came to the united states they saw a sweet potato which looks very similar to a yam and started calling it a yam bc thats what they thought it was but regular supermarkets dont sell yams
    I agree that they are quite different but both are very common, at least here in Canada. My regular supermarket sells both. Yams are actually more common here (and they are cheaper). If they are saying that they are yams then go with what they are saying, I'm pretty sure when they say yams they mean yams and vice versa.

K.Biz is offline Banned
    all hail NYJetsfan86, for the almighty knowledge of sweet potatoes and yams

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Africa.. or the Caribbean/South America.

Agreed however, the plant(s) marketed internationally are varieties of sweet potato.. as opposed to yams & sweet potatoes.

Yams are brown on the outside, with very white flesh on the inside.

In preparation they exude a slimy/sticky residue with no apparent smell.

Sweet potatoes look/act nothing like them.

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    They are the same thing fella's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

Ok, so guys give me your opinion for my diet..because the grocery store said yam ive been doing the macros for my diet for a yam.. every 150gs is 42 carbs... should i start counting them as sweetpotatoes which is every 200gs 42 carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Giants11

did you read that article at all it said the sweet potato is comonly called a yam, and then if you keep reading it tells why that is and its the exact reason i stated earlier in the thread.....they are completely different

giants if you didnt read it here it is

The moist-fleshed, orange cultivars of sweet potato are often referred to as “yams” in the United States. One explanation of this confusion is that Africans brought to America took to calling American sweet potatoes Nyamis, perhaps from the Fulani word nyami (to eat) or the Twi word anyinam, which refers to a true yam. The true yam, which is native to Africa and Asia, can grow up to 2 m (6 ft) in length (sometimes with knuckle-like ends) and has a scaly skin, a pinkish white center, and a thick, almost oily feel to the tongue.

Later on many farmers and stores began marketing American-grown sweet potatoes as yams; the name stuck. In more recent times there has been an effort to stop the use of “yam” for sweet potatoes, but this has only been partially successful. USDA branding regulations require the word “yam” to be accompanied by the words “sweet potato” when referring to these moister sweet potatoes.

rubix6 is offline Female Member
    damn, i really thought they were the same thing!

most people do i always thought they were too until i found out in my nutrition class that they were completly different

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Damn it, time to recalculate my macros....

yea a lot of people do

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, the "yams" a buy have the characteristics nark described. The only difference I notice is that the outside isn't as red/pink as the individually packaged ones at the store. The inside looks and tastes the exact same, these are just more brown on the outside and look as though they came straight from the ground.

Vader79 is offline Junior Member
    Hi guys,

I live in north London where we have a large Carribean community as well as a large West African community. Every cornershop stocks Yams and there is no way on Gods earth that they could/should be confused with sweet potatos.

It's exactly as Narkissos said, Yams are brown on the outside, white on the inside and ooze a odourless starchy substance when chopped. Sweet potatoes can be anything from Tan brown to purple skinned, with a yellow/orangish flesh. Also Yams seem to be way larger, lots of times l'll buy a pre-cut chunk of a huge yam (wrapped in clingfilm).

My "yams" are orange on the inside, brown skin on the out.. at times i notice a green tint on the inside of them... and yes they are oozy.... the sweet potatoes ive seen are more yellowish

Quote Originally Posted by daytrader
    My "yams" are orange on the inside, brown skin on the out.. at times i notice a green tint on the inside of them... and yes they are oozy.... the sweet potatoes ive seen are more yellowish
    yams are a white color on the inside so you have sweet potatos

yams are a white color on the inside so you have sweet potatos
    yup...

Quote Originally Posted by Giants11

Nope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_%28vegetable%29

Son of a bitch!!!! Im gonna Kill amother fcuker at the ACME!! screwin with my macros... wow thanks for the help guys

Where do they get off labeling a sweet potato a "Bulk yam"...

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos

If you notice that says that they are a commodity in Africa and Papa New Guinea.

The Yams that are labeled Yams in America are incorrectly labeled so, see here:

he moist-fleshed, orange cultivars of sweet potato are often referred to as “yams” in the United States. One explanation of this confusion is that Africans brought to America took to calling American sweet potatoes Nyamis, perhaps from the Fulani word nyami (to eat) or the Twi word anyinam, which refers to a true yam. The true yam, which is native to Africa and Asia, can grow up to 2 m (6 ft) in length (sometimes with knuckle-like ends) and has a scaly skin, a pinkish white center, and a thick, almost oily feel to the tongue.

Later on many farmers and stores began marketing American-grown sweet potatoes as yams; the name stuck. In more recent times there has been an effort to stop the use of “yam” for sweet potatoes, but this has only been partially successful. USDA branding regulations require the word “yam” to be accompanied by the words “sweet potato” when referring to these moister sweet potatoes.

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

^^Yes... I didn't miss that G

That's exactly the point.

The thread was about the thread originator wanting to know which would be more feasible.

To establish that, we had to establish the difference between the sweet potato and the yam... and then we had to establish the difference by region.

Unless he's in the caribbean or south Americaor , select areas of Canada, and the UK...then the likelihood of him having a 'true yam' is low.

And as such, what he has would be variations of the sweet potato...which he could use interchangeably.

I assumed he was American....

Oh well, lets call this one a draw.

Smile Wait, wait,

My biggest ?, ok so now that we know i have a sweet potato... How many carbs in 200gs? is it 42?... Just wanna make sure so my macros are solid this time

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    You can tell they are different just by looking at them. A yam looks like a root inside with little stringy fibers.

yea but a lot of people dont realize that bc they think sweet opotatos and yams are the same thing so they see a sweet potato and say "its a yam"

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    so whats better for you in a bulking diet?

Quote Originally Posted by daytrader
    My biggest ?, ok so now that we know i have a sweet potato... How many carbs in 200gs? is it 42?... Just wanna make sure so my macros are solid this time
    Bump...

Bump bros///

So i have sweet potatoes... ive seen different macros for them on different sites... how many carbs do you give for 200gs.. is 42 righ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information