Black Stang is offline Associate Member

Question How should I eat on an odd schedual?

I work 2nd shift, 4:00pm - 2:30am , and it sucks. I usually get to sleep around 4:00 am and wake up at 11:00am. I go to the gym around 12:00pm. What should I eat for my first meal? Should it be light, or heavy with protien? So far, It's been cereal, and a protein shake. I've been trying to eat 6 times a day. The main point of this question I guess is how do I make the most of my pre-work out meal? How long does it take for your body to begin useing the protien?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    The odd hours of your day are irrelavant,and they play very little importance in your diet.My first meal of the day is breakfast which is a protein shake.I have now made this so it is around 800cals and 70g of protein.I use this much because I have been fasting for 8 hrs and feel my body needs it.I don,t actually eat a preworkout meal as I have been eating all day so i feel i don,t need it but for you it depends greatly on how you digest food and how quickly.Training on a full or bloated stomach may leave you feeling slow and lerthargic where on the other hand eating very little may leave you feeling weak and dizzy.Experiment and see what works for you.After 2 workouts you will know if you are eating too little or too much.
    The absorption rate for the protein varies on the type eaten.Some proteins are easily absorbed whilst others take longer.Whey protein is a quick

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Billy made 2 real important points...eating all day and being bloated if you workout full. If you awake at 11:00 and train an hour later then you don't have enough time for protein since first of all there is none that will be absorbed that quickly and secondly it protein won't help your training session. What is important here is that you eat correctly up until you go to sleep. If you eat well all day then you're going to bed with your muscles full of glycogen. While sleeping you will burn liver glycogen, and that is what you'll want to replenish first. Unless you're doing cardio, then a high glycemic fruit like banana or raisins will give you some quick energy. Then focus on your body's needs post workout. So to answer your main question...for a workout first thing after waking you don't really have time for protein.

There is currently a real good thread about post workout drinks.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i agree with the boys. the hours of the day are irrelevant. when you awke, it's morning

MarkyMark is offline Member
    One of my client's had to work swing as well as graveyard ... so designing him a program was indeed dificult with my schedule ... I would suggest working-out for mass after your job .... to lean out I would stay with what your doing , however I would not eat at all b4 the workout and I would wait 1 hour after b4 eating ...this will shred fat off ... WHat are your goals at present ? As far as the eating goes they have said enough I think...

follwing up

I work out Mon.-Tue., and Thur.-Fri. Weight training. What about Wed., Sat., and Sun. Should I still eat the same amount of protein on days I'm not weight traning? I'll be starting a stack soon with Sus. 250, and Deca so I know I'll need alot of protein. Does the body need as much protein on off days, as on weight training days? I'm 6'3, and 230 lbs. About 15% body fat. I want to gain alot of muscle, but I don't want to gain alot of fat in the process.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Yes ... stay consistent on your diet all the time .... your body is growing while at rest and is replenishing the nutrients as well ..... good luck

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I have not had a responce on this for a few days. But that was the answer I needed.
    Thanks again bro.

Thread Information