Bojangles69 is offline Banned

Just about diet & motivation in general.

(patience appreciated)

Wasn't sure if this was the right forum but I need advice on this situation.

About 2 1/2 years ago I was released from prison ok.
    In prison you live a VERY strict and ROUTINE life. You eat the SAME minute everyday, and do the same thing everyday, work out the same time, go to bed the same time and wake up the same time.

Back than we didnt have weights where I was, so all I did was calesthetics. And I was actually overweight and out of shape because most of the food was cheap carbs and very little protein.

Ok so I get out. Change from calesthetics to weights and cardio, and I still think about this everyday.. but in 6 months after getting out I changed EVERYTHING about the way I look. I went from chubby and bloated, to having a four pack, nice defined muscles, thin jawline which really accentuated my natural good looks lol.

But this is the thing. I got in shape and stayed in shape for a good year. The thing is I was MOTIVATED and still living on ROUTINE in the freeworld.

Now I still work out, my diets not a mess at all, its pretty decent. But I do eat at different times everyday, and my sleep cycles a complete disaster.
    My diet is essentially the same, just that I dont eat at the same time everyday. The only thing thats really changed is timing or routine.

I posted this in the diet forum because I'm sooo lost on where to begin. I never had to count calories or focus on what I was eating when I got out. The fat melted off and the muscle came out of nowhere. I just esssentially ate 3 meals a day, break fast lunch and dinner. Now my routine sort of fluctuates from day to day as far as timing, sleep etc.

I'm starting to think "what the fvck is wrong with me?", "what have I really changed?" and the only answer I can think of is timing. But I'm still eating the right foods, just a bit more than before (but working out harder and doing more cardio to compensate) I'm trying to get in shape and can't understand why and how my body changed so fast when I got released but now it WILL NOT CHANGE at all.

I'm stuck. I cant post a diet because I dont count calories, I just monitor roughly as I eat and what I'm eating, but in the past I didnt even have to do this.

So my question I guess because this thread is complete chaos.

To what extent here do people (who are in good shape) monitor thier diets? I mean like making a weekly list and eating every food on that list at the exact time, or counting all your protein/carb/fat caloric intake.

How much do you dedicate to this aspect of your routine? I NEVER EVER wrote down shit. When I got out I just stayed away from specific foods and was in excellent shape. Im literally losing my mind trying to figure out why I cant bulk up or lean down or just change ANYTHING about my appearance to look better.

Why *now* do I have to get all finicky about this shit when before I just did what I did and was in great shape?

Any advice would really be appreciated.
    And I'm especially curious as to what extent people go to when it comes to thier diet. Like a brief explanation of how far you go to ensure your getting the right proportions. Because I NEVER had to do this before but am thinking about really getting a notebook out and monitoring EVERYTHING I eat and eating EXACTLY what I need.. just that before I was so much more natural about it and had no problems staying in shape.

k rant over.

Any help greatly appreciated.

misadventures is offline Banned
    As you progress you need to pay more attention and practice greater control over what you do to continue your progression.

I too was in prison about a year ago, luckily I was on servery so I got to eat whatever I wanted and order the meals for my unit from the kitchens (always ordered extras )

If you want to progress, you need to pay close attention to diet etc

takedownII is offline Member
    i don't know how old you are, but age will definately effect how easy one can "get in shape".

the reason you got in shape so quickly after you were released is probably due to the fact that you became "new" again. you couldn't workout like you are now so your body wasn't pushed and became unchallenged. now all of a sudden you get out and you're killing it in the gym, you're getting the gains of someone who has just started lifting for the first time in their lives. i also think since you were locked up for 2 and half years you were not able to get the quality foods you have now along with the better equipment too. so that first 6 months out you got in great shape.

your gains have slowed due to you body not being "new" now. you need to change it up and keep your body guessing. and as i know you know, diet and sleep is key so keep that in check.

to answer another of your questions, i write everything down, my workout and whatever i eat. i know how many calories/macronutrients i need and i make sure i get it each day. this is essential brother and the sooner you start the sooner you'll start getting those gains back.

tkdwnII

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    After having counted your calories for a few months you actually get quite accustomed to the amounts that you are consuming. I and perhaps many eat very similar things which from a macros perspective are similar. For example I just count my macros when changing from bulking to maintenance to cutting. So if Im bulking for 3 months well I calculate my needed macros versus those in my diet the first week and then just go with knowledge. So if I go for a Pro/Carb meal and Im targeting 40g of protein then I know from experience that X amount of Chicken, Tuna, Fish,beef contain 40g of protein that I desire. The same goes with Carbs.

DeBaie is offline Junior Member
    haha
    That is the best thing about constantly bulking.. keep on eating.
    Do not need to count lol
    You set out a routine, and you just know man..
    Becomes second nature.
    I eat the same thing everyday for a month now, and I am used to it.
    When I snack, its usually the same time everyday, and most likely the same thing..

Thread Information