draftwho2003 is offline New Member

A.M Pre Workout meal question

I get up for the gym 4:30am 5 days a week. 3 of the 5 days i hit the weights the other 2 cardio. My question is how important is a pre workout meal?
    For instant my diet for the past year has been very clean and for the past 2 weeks ive been following the "how to gain lean mass" type diet.

This morning
    I took my creatine drink
    2 slices of wheat toast and ran out the door.
    PWO
    Protein Shake
    Cup of Oats
    6 Eggwhites

Should i be taking in a larger meal pre-workout or is this ok. My dilemma is time, but that can easily be fixed (just get my a$$ up a bit earlier) but if this is not detrimental i will continue to something similar alternating the wheat toast with a banana,tune,eggwhite,oats etc.

Please help and give me your input

Thanks

HowIdo is offline Junior Member
    A correct pre-workout meal is essential IMO. I would def eat some type of Complex carbs an hour or hour and a half before you plan on lifting. I usually like 3/4 cup of oatmeal and 10 eggwhites Pre-wo. If you dont have that much time you could take a Whey protein shake along with the wheat toast. You def want to add protein in the mix if you are trying to gain muscle bro!!!

Tip
    Tip is offline New Member
    If I were you I would. I'm on pretty much the same schedual, up at 4am and in the gym at 5:30. I eat 5 pieces of Ezekial bread with my whey concentrate shake an hour before my workout. Then creatine, arginine, glutamine 30 min. before my workout.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    looks ok to me mate, would need to see macros to comment in full. The fact you eat ANYTHING at that time of day should be commended!!

Thanks for the input guys!

Primalinstinct is offline Associate Member
    you could add some pasteurized eggs in your pre-workout shake, as well. just for more "quick" variety of protein -- food for that lean muscle you are working towards.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    in a rush job for a pre workout meal i actually suggest fruit... anything from a nanner to a grapefruit and possibly some fat free cottage cheese

jixxxer is offline Associate Member
    Im in the same boat, def. dont have enough time to cook eggs or oatmeal and eat it in time for digestion. So I have a muscle milk shake. Is this any good or should i try someting else????

Thanks for all the suggestions, i added a shake in the morning now, and on those real late days i'll grab some fruit and eat it on the way

jixxxer is offline Associate Member
    any other ideas on quick/quick digestion pre workout meals and post workout meals; still going with dextrose and protien????

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    I guess it depends on goals. My goal was to loose weight and mantain muscle mass. going into a workout loaded on cabs was counterproductive for my goals. I go in carb depleted. no carbs 6 hrs before I sleep and I go in and work out before I eat carbs. my pre-work out meal consists of lean protien. If your training for strength this does not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by mkrulic
    I guess it depends on goals. My goal was to loose weight and mantain muscle mass. going into a workout loaded on cabs was counterproductive for my goals. I go in carb depleted. no carbs 6 hrs before I sleep and I go in and work out before I eat carbs. my pre-work out meal consists of lean protien. If your training for strength this does not apply.
    Thanks, well my goal is to put on as much lean muscle mass as i can. I'm 6'2 190. I dropped alot of weight in the last year, so i would rather not bulk i just want to add about 15lbs of muscle and stay as lean as possible.

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by draftwho2003
    Thanks, well my goal is to put on as much lean muscle mass as i can. I'm 6'2 190. I dropped alot of weight in the last year, so i would rather not bulk i just want to add about 15lbs of muscle and stay as lean as possible.
    15 lbs. of muscle? Rather not bulk? Did I read that right?

Quote Originally Posted by JC2007
    15 lbs. of muscle? Rather not bulk? Did I read that right?

Yeah sorry

Let me try again....I want to add 15lbs of muscle and bulk as lean/clean as possible. Does that make more sense?

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by draftwho2003
    Yeah sorry

Let me try again....I want to add 15lbs of muscle and bulk as lean/clean as possible. Does that make more sense?
    No because you're not gonna be able to add 15 lbs. of lean mass... if you don't mind some water weight/minimal fat gain then by all means...

Slaiv is offline Banned
    carb depletion? no carbs before a workout?

so if your tryin to cut up, you should eat low carbs?

i thought high carb will help you lose weight?

im confused now :'(

Thread Information