Slaiv is offline Banned

No Carb Diet?! Get lean in 3weeks?!

well my cousin told me something that well... was kinda interesting for me to try, but at the same time contradicts everything i have learned so far...

My cousin is in wrestling (Highschool and soon to be college next week) and he has taught me alot about dieting and excersising as well as everyone here on this forum, thank you very much btw !!!

but now he told me he is going to try something new....

he is not going to eat ANY carbs for 3weeks so that he can lean up hardcore and get ripped!!

But its funny, this is the same guy that told me you need carbs to lose weight and get lean, not to mention all the feedback and advice you guys here in the Diet Forum have given me as well

Carbs to me are very important in a diet, the body breaks it down into amino acids and so on and so forth. Regulates your nutrient intake and feeds your body what it needs.

But like i said earlier, my cousin is very knowledgeable in dieting, and his coach is a pretty good one, one of the top coaches here in the Katy ISD (sorry i dont know his name)

but yea.... i want to know what you guys thing about a "No Carb Diet"

i guess just strictly protein and EFA's huh?

if in fact this kinda diet works for losing fat and leaning up, i would LOVE to try it, but like everything i learn, i like to hear the opinions of others before i do this. My cousin says it would be ok, but only do it for like 3weeks, i want to know a more professional and maybe more experienced answer from someone who maybe knows someone that already has done this, maybe they themselves have tried it, or has some sort of information regarding this approach on fat loss

thank you guys once again as always for all your feedback and advice, i really appreciate it !

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    The diet will help him lean up. But his performance on the wresting mat may greatly suffer. I'm just speaking from experience when I say that a no carb diet and wrestling is a no no.

Tell your cousin to stick with low gi carbohydrates ie: oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta. Before matches let him have some simple sugars for energy.

If he's having trouble making weight, have him drink at least 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. Then gradully cut down on the water intake a couple of days before the meet. Also, I'd have him do some extra sessions of high intensity cardio.

Btw, how much weight does he need to drop, and in what time frame?

Slaiv is offline Banned
    i honestly dont know, ill ask him

im trying to get him to join this forum, but he works out, trains alot and his social life doesnt give him alot of free time to be on the comp

but anyways, your telling me that a no carb diet will actually help you lose bf% ?!??!!

and what do u mean his performance will greatly suffer?! will he be weaker physically?

so yea, no carb = loss of bf% ?!?!

Yes, a no carb diet will help you lose bodyfat. That is if you're burning off more calories than you are consuming. When I cut, I drastically cut carbs. I'll only have them for before and after workouts. But that's because I gain fat easily.

Like I said, I'm just speaking from experience that this no carb diet will affect his peformance. He will be weaker, and probably gas out more easily. In sports like wrestling, you eat for PERFORMANCE, not for looks. He will need carbohydrates to wrestle any match that goes beyond the first peroid.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    He's going to fall asleep on the mat if he doesn't consume carbs. I'm with you, bulldawg. I only take in carbs twice a day when cutting because I'm so sensitive to carbs.

Yeah it sucks. The only carbs that I can really have when cutting are oats. Gets really old fast.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    im going to try that, im only eating wheat bread for my fat 6 slices turkey sandwiches and my oats for breakfast (1/2cup only)

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    when people ommit a specific macro they usually lose weight because they have a tendency to reduce their overall caloric intake.

going ketoic is NOT WHAT I WOULD RECCOMMEND FOR ANY ATHELETE unless they are a total lard ass.

but when u carb deplete u drop all your glycogen. which causes about a 10-15lbs drop for most people since.. for each gram of glycogen u retain it will store an addition 3-4grams of water.. thus human body can hold 2-4lbs of glycogen (body weight/lbm dependent) so u can easily where where 10-20lbs of body weight (water) can be lost.

the only time i would reccommend to deplete like that is if u have to make weight and it also allows for a potentional glycogen super saturation but studies show the more u deplete and replenish the glycogen the less super saturation u achieve each subsequential phase of depletion/repletion.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    umm... can u reword that in lamens terms please?

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    umm... can u reword that in lamens terms please?
    The initial 15-20lbs you drop when on a no carb diet is mostly going to be water weight.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    sounds good to me

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    When I'm in ripp down mode I pretty much do the same thing but my first meal of the day consists of a half cup of oatmeal and egg whites and those are the only carbs I'll eat during the day.The rest of my meals are either steak and broccoli or boneless breast an broccoli or fish and broccoli,and about every 7-9 days I'll have 2 cups of oats just to give a nice boost to my metabolism.Also with your carbs so low it's important to take a multivitamin and aminos,VERY IMPORTANT.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    As mentioned above, if you stick to a complete no carb/sodium diet you will drop anywhere from 10-25lbs of Water within the first 15 days. However, be prepared for headaches, nausea, extreme fatigue, lack of a pump (no sodium/glycogen) and a tough, tought mental game.

However, once you're in a deep state of ketosis. Stick to low-intensity cardio and low rep weight training and you'll drop a good amount of fat in a relatively short time.

However, long term, be prepared for the water to come flooding back in once you start ingesting carbs and sodium again. You'll bloat like a mother ****er.

Either way, if you're a 'lard ass' (as mentioned above) it's a good way to start towards your goals. Once you're satisfied with your bodyfat, slowly introduce clean carbohydrates back into your system.

I personally loved Ruby Red potatoes and whole wheat pasta's with a little bit of salsa for flavour.

Low sodium, clean carbohydrates and the fiber to make me regular again.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    I Am Never Doing A No Carb Diet Again !!!!!!

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    I Am Never Doing A No Carb Diet Again !!!!!!

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosed by Tai
    X2

Thread Information