ascendant is offline Senior Member

in regards to the whole whey protein debate

i know some people nowadays try to say whey protein isn't a good protein source because of how fast it gets digested. the simple solution would be to simply combine it with protein sources that don't get digested so quickly, right?

the only other thing i'm wondering though is that after a workout, i would think you'd want to only take in whey because you want it to get into the muscles as quickly as possible. is this right or will it still go through your system too fast?

Idunno is offline Banned
    that sounds reasonable to me.

ecto9 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like whey protien cause it's an easy "whey" heh, heh, to get 60+ grams of protien in a low amount of total calories. I just limit it to right after a workout. In my opinion whole foods are better just because of slow absorbtion and calorie burning during digestion.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    i know some people nowadays try to say whey protein isn't a good protein source because of how fast it gets digested. the simple solution would be to simply combine it with protein sources that don't get digested so quickly, right?

the only other thing i'm wondering though is that after a workout, i would think you'd want to only take in whey because you want it to get into the muscles as quickly as possible. is this right or will it still go through your system too fast?

The rebuilding process takes place for several days after a workout. I think that it's a good idea to get a meal in you within a reasonable period of time after a workout, but I don't think whey protein is any better than a nice bloody steak at being digested, absorbed, and put to use in the body.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    really only time whey protein is beneficial in a meal is to complete the amino profile other then that whole food would be far more ideal.

ecto9 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    really only time whey protein is beneficial in a meal is to complete the amino profile other then that whole food would be far more ideal.
    Hey Tai, you must be referring to vegetarian weight lifters needing complete amino profile, huh?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by ecto9
    Hey Tai, you must be referring to vegetarian weight lifters needing complete amino profile, huh?
    yeah

HowIdo is offline Junior Member
    If you take a look at the Bilogical Value scale of protein 100% Whey protein is the best (Hint 100% Whey Protein). This scale represents the utilization of protein and how readily the broken down protein can be used in protein synthesis.

Whey protein is digested fast but, after a workout it is ideal.

There are three major properties of a protein source which affects its BV:

Amino acid composition
    Preparation (cooking)
    Vitamin and mineral content

And Whey is very ideal................Drink Up

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    The rebuilding process takes place for several days after a workout. I think that it's a good idea to get a meal in you within a reasonable period of time after a workout, but I don't think whey protein is any better than a nice bloody steak at being digested, absorbed, and put to use in the body.
    actually, whey protein is FAR better than a steak after a workout. what you're not taking into consideration here is the catabolism caused by a workout. the sooner you get blood sugars, muscle glycogen, and amino acids back into your system after a workout, the faster you shut off the catabolism. now where do we get those from? protein and carbs of course. this is why most people tend to use fast-digesting carbs after a workout, and likewise you should be doing the same with your protein. after that though, then you of course would want things which digest slower over a longer period of time

100%NATURAL-theGH is offline Senior Member
    Whey protein is good first thing upon waking up to fight off catabolism because I take a bit to eat... and of course PWO... it's not the best for your other meals because it's in and out quickly... you can SLOW this however by taking your EFA's with it especially at bed time where you want a little more extended release.

jojo2002 is offline Associate Member
    I wouldnt drink 100% whey before bed i def. eat steak before bed for the slow digestion processes or cass. protein which digest slower than whey. Whey is def. ideal for right after workout because of the catabolic state mentioned above. I normally workout mornings so i care aminos with me right after my last set i take them go home and make my pwo shake... good luck hope this helped.

Thread Information