Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    EXCELLENCE's Avatar
    EXCELLENCE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    147

    Dextrose alternatives?

    I was wondering what else i could use in my post workout shake as far as a dextrose or maltodextrin supplement to spike insulin levels

    my shakes regularly contain 2 scoops protein powder
    1 banana
    6 oz. lowfat milk

    is there anyhting i can buy from the local rocery store after a workout to spike insulin?

  2. #2
    EXCELLENCE's Avatar
    EXCELLENCE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    147
    for example if i subsituted milk with 8oz. of pineapple juicE? i heard pineapple juice would spike insulin levels

  3. #3
    TR'05's Avatar
    TR'05 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    989
    The insuline spike PWO is an overrated phenomenon in mine and others opinion. That being said, any high glycemic carbohydrate which is low in fat would do the trick.

    This could range from sweet tarts, jelly bean, cereal, white bread and the list goes on. Hit up a search bro...I'm confident similar threads will have a bunch of responses.

  4. #4
    AandF6969's Avatar
    AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,384
    Why dont you just use maltodextrin/dextrose? They'll be the fastest acting.

  5. #5
    Slaiv is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    H-Town Baby!
    Posts
    784
    why use dextrose/malto when u can get all the PWO ingredients right here

    2 scoops vanilla whey (48g pro)
    1 cup of quaker oatmeal raw in that cardboard cylinder (44g carb)
    8oz water
    5g creatine
    1/2 cup of blueberries OR rasberries (basically any berry, gives it a good flavor) (22g fructose)

    VOILA !!! Instant Muscle Repair/Recovery Shake in less than 30min into your body!!

    and most importantly... its all NATURAL FOODS !!!! None of that powder mumbo jumbo, good old fashioned real stuff to make that body work for its nutrients !!! You'll absorb every bit of it !! trust that you had a vigorous workout before hand ;D

    so what do you guys think? agree?

  6. #6
    AandF6969's Avatar
    AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,384
    Looks good.... but

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    None of that powder mumbo jumbo
    Except for the whey

  7. #7
    epno's Avatar
    epno is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    98

    Vitargo

    I have yet to try it, but Vitargo sound like a good call for a carb to use with protein, creatine, and NO2 supplements. Here's some info from the net:

    What is the best way to use Vitargo?

    When using Vitargo with your strength training, we recommend using it directly after your workout with some whey protein for optimum recovery and increased protein synthesis. Mix 30-40 grams of whey protein with 70-80 grams Vitargo for optimum results. See links below.

    http://www.theoverloadprinciple.com/...at=Supplements

    http://www.vitargo.com/01UK/Index_Intro.html

  8. #8
    Consistency's Avatar
    Consistency is offline Extraordinarily Exorbitant
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tenn
    Posts
    4,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv
    why use dextrose/malto when u can get all the PWO ingredients right here

    2 scoops vanilla whey (48g pro)
    1 cup of quaker oatmeal raw in that cardboard cylinder (44g carb)
    8oz water
    5g creatine
    1/2 cup of blueberries OR rasberries (basically any berry, gives it a good flavor) (22g fructose)

    VOILA !!! Instant Muscle Repair/Recovery Shake in less than 30min into your body!!

    and most importantly... its all NATURAL FOODS !!!! None of that powder mumbo jumbo, good old fashioned real stuff to make that body work for its nutrients !!! You'll absorb every bit of it !! trust that you had a vigorous workout before hand ;D

    so what do you guys think? agree?
    yeah thats good, but its just alot easier to add 50g of whey and 100g of dextrose into my shaker!!

  9. #9
    TexSavant's Avatar
    TexSavant is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    189
    What about Ribose?

  10. #10
    Ejuicer's Avatar
    Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by epno
    I have yet to try it, but Vitargo sound like a good call for a carb to use with protein, creatine, and NO2 supplements. Here's some info from the net:

    What is the best way to use Vitargo?

    When using Vitargo with your strength training, we recommend using it directly after your workout with some whey protein for optimum recovery and increased protein synthesis. Mix 30-40 grams of whey protein with 70-80 grams Vitargo for optimum results. See links below.

    http://www.theoverloadprinciple.com/...at=Supplements

    http://www.vitargo.com/01UK/Index_Intro.html

    Vitargo is good and I doesn't make my stomach feel like complete shit like dextrose does.

  11. #11
    sonnygll's Avatar
    sonnygll is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    686
    You could always go old school and put the whey in chocolate milk.

  12. #12
    WelshWarrior's Avatar
    WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnygll
    You could always go old school and put the whey in chocolate milk.
    That must be like cement?!

  13. #13
    sonnygll's Avatar
    sonnygll is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    686
    It's not too bad. It's about like an ice cream shake. Now casein makes it like cement. Or at least like peanut butter.

  14. #14
    WelshWarrior's Avatar
    WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,147
    I took Casein and milk for a while, christ it was bloat city!

  15. #15
    Unist...! is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    67
    gatorade powder

  16. #16
    Slaiv is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    H-Town Baby!
    Posts
    784
    wat about gatorade powder?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •