liftin is offline Banned

White Rice vs. Brown Rice

Sup bros.. Im pretty sure I remember SC saying that he eats only white rice, and doesnt really care for brown rice.. does it really matter if you have 1.5 cups of brown rice or 1.5 cups of white rice??? everyone is always stuck on the brown rice over white rice and sweet potatoe (yams) over reg potatoes.. whats the real deal? Is is that huge of a difference?!??!

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    If I remember correctly... the difference between brown/white rice is small, only about 10 points on the GI scale or so. But the difference in sweet potatoes and regular potatoes is quite large. Again, not sure on that, just what I remembered.

liftin is offline Banned
    ok so you think its ok if i sub white for brown rice in some meals.. btw i am not a bodybuilder and do not compete.. but i do like to be lean/shredded.. i just cant see by me eating white rice I would loose vascularity anmd not be as lean bc i didnt eat brown rice...... right!?!

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    brown rice has slightly lower GI, but dont forget the extra fiber and vitamins that come along from being unpolished. However, other than that, if you're covering all your bases in terms of vitamins, minerals and fiber, like AF69 said, I don't see a problem.

liftin is offline Banned
    thanks fellas.. bump for more opinions as well

sonnygll is offline Member
    White rice starts turning to sugar in your mouth. The closeness in GI is misleading. You get quite and insulin spike form it.

moush is offline Senior Member
    thats what i thought as well sonny...

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    PWo meals, white rice is ok....other than that I'd stick with brown...basically it all depends on you, your schedule, etc. white rice has it's place just as brown rice does.

Musulhed1010 is offline New Member
    If you want to look the best you possibly can, eat complex carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatoe, multigrain pasta and brown rice. white rice does turn to suger in ur mouth. My friends and I lost so much weight just by converting our carbs. My friend doesnt do cardio ever and by dieting like this he got his six pack. Its not as convienent but it works.

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    I don't know... I'm making great gains and can cut pretty damn swiftly and I usually eat white rice only...

If the rest of your diet is in place, it's not gonna make a big difference, unless you're competing.

It depends on your insulin response. It is true there are some people who won't be affected by it much. But many people will.

I've also seen people lose weight just by switching to brown rice and whole wheat bread.

MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member
    Like me...i used to eat white everything (breads, rice etc) and i switched to multigrain breads and brown rice (and cut back the carbs a tad) and noticed a HUUUUGGGEEE difference. I think its dependent on your own body though...some people i'm sure could get away with white breads/rice...i cant though

Musulhed1010 is offline New Member
    sure some can get away with white rice/bread and some can get away with mcdonalds and bugerking. but even if those people switched to better quality foods they will see positive improvment- bottom line. especially the older you get/slower metabolism.

There are ways to get away with Mcdonald's and Burger King for a protein/fat meal. No bun, no ketchup, no fries, no regular soda. Which for most people probably equals no fun. But I know what you mean, some people seem to be able to eat the giant 10 gallon container of hydrogenated oil soaked potato shavings and not get fat. It will compromise their health eventually though.

That's weird it posted twice........
    Last edited by sonnygll; 11-03-2007 at 02:32 AM. Reason: double post

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    For me the only time I have white rice is in part of a cheat meal. It is less healthy and more stodgy than wholegrain. Sounds silly and it's probably just mental, but it doesn't taste like it's as good for you!

Thread Information