ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member

Risks with high Protein intake?

So I am taking an introduction nutrition course at University and my professor is talking about some of the potential long-term side effects of high protein intake.

Here are some of the long-term effects that could result due to high protein intake that he mentioned:
    - kidney dysfunction
    - cardiovascular disease
    - weight gain
    - electrolyte imbalance
    - bone density reduction
    - dehydration

He advocated that ones protein intake should be roughly 15-20% of your total caloric intake throughout the day. 50-55% carbs and 20-25% fats.

He said a person should consume roughly 0.8-1g of protein per KILO not LBS of body weight.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    This is all true for couch potatoes. BBers who train regularly need more protein to rebuild the muscle they tear down every session. Furthermore, the human body is very adaptable and will alter its enzyme profile to reflect the nutrients it is fed on a daily basis. Personally, I believe simple sugars and saturated fats pose a higher risk for most of the symptoms up there, for the rest, drinking adequate water is key..

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I would hope that weight gain is a side effect!!

Slaiv is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969 View Post
    I would hope that weight gain is a side effect!!
    lol

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Drink a gallon or two of water ED and you'll have no issues, imo, except bigger guns

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    The same can be said about calories..... But when you are working out everyday, and very active you need more protein/cals. Obviously it wouldnt be healthy for a 25 yr old lazy fat ass to eat 300g protein and 4500 cals!!!

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    The same can be said about calories..... But when you are working out everyday, and very active you need more protein/cals. Obviously it wouldnt be healthy for a 25 yr old lazy fat ass to eat 300g protein and 4500 cals!!!
    Exactly. Id think for the general population, a high protein intake should be least of their problems. Its funny to get comments from peeps that are like, "all that protein is bad for you" as they wash down their McDonalds with a handle of Jack Daniels.

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane View Post
    This is all true for couch potatoes. BBers who train regularly need more protein to rebuild the muscle they tear down every session. Furthermore, the human body is very adaptable and will alter its enzyme profile to reflect the nutrients it is fed on a daily basis. Personally, I believe simple sugars and saturated fats pose a higher risk for most of the symptoms up there, for the rest, drinking adequate water is key..
    Very true.

He did mention that athletes require more protein, carb, fat intake etc. as you mentioned. He also said that he really doesnt see a problem with people upping their protein intake as long as the protein comes from good sources such as salmon, tilapia, trout, chicken etc.

In fact, my professor is just jacked and he even he admits he consumes much more protein than what people typically recommend.

brucesnj is offline New Member
    Are there any supplements that would offset or help you avoid some of the kidney problems?? Milk Thistle?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brucesnj View Post
    Are there any supplements that would offset or help you avoid some of the kidney problems?? Milk Thistle?
    lol water

milk thistle is for yr liver

Thread Information