importeater91 is offline Member

cheap bulking foods

ive been laid off for a couple months and works slowing down, working with friends. so its getting a little tight money wise. what are some bulking foods that i can get, and wont drain my wallet as much. i know eggs,brown rice, potatoes, chicken, tuna. i know there are more but i just cant think of them at the moment. im 23 6' 175lbs

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by importeater91 View Post
    ive been laid off for a couple months and works slowing down, working with friends. so its getting a little tight money wise. what are some bulking foods that i can get, and wont drain my wallet as much. i know eggs,brown rice, potatoes, chicken, tuna. i know there are more but i just cant think of them at the moment. im 23 6' 175lbs
    Chicken an tuna I wouldn't call bulking foods.If I wanna bulk I concentrate more on carbs and alot less on protein.My bulking foods are as follows.

Oatmeal,Sweet potatoes,ground beef,whole wheat bread,"whole wheat pasta" which is probably the cheapest carbohydrate your gonna find,white rice I feel is better for bulking then brown rice for the puffy factor it gives you.
    Last edited by dedic8ed1; 11-30-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Succubus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1 View Post
    Chicken an tuna I wouldn't call bulking foods.If I wanna bulk I concentrate more on carbs and alot less on protein.My bulking foods are as follows.

Oatmeal,Sweet potatoes,ground beef,whole wheat bread,"whole wheat pasta" which is probably the cheapest carbohydrate your gonna find,white rice I feel is better for bulking then brown rice for the puffy factor it gives you.
    huh? protein is necessary to build muscle. period. who bulks without chicken? and white rice is just brown rice with nutrients stripped. oats are a great suggestion. cheap, easy and quick.

Elexecution is offline Associate Member

Definitely more protein than carbs. I'd recommend 3/2 ratio

Trenhead is offline New Member
    i guess you would do that if your a real hardgainer that diet would make me look like the michelin man though white rice instead of brown dont see that one at all though

Quote Originally Posted by Succubus View Post
    huh? protein is necessary to build muscle. period. who bulks without chicken? and white rice is just brown rice with nutrients stripped. oats are a great suggestion. cheap, easy and quick.
    A lean protein like boneless breast is more of a staple when getting lean,sure it's a good source of protein with no fat for exactly this reason, and not too mention "expensive" which is what this guy is trying to avoid.Is it more important then say ground beef,steak or pork chops as far as a cost effective protein for bulking absoultly not.Ask any pro bodybuilder who competes or anyone who knows more then the average guy who has made diet and training apart of there life and they'll tell you the same thing.To get big you need a strong source of protein,fat slow digesting low glycemic carbs like all I've suggested.Do some research and then question my suggestions

And white rice gives you a more puffy physique when bulking which to me would suggest that white rice has the ability to hold more water per gram of carbohydrate then brown.
    Last edited by dedic8ed1; 12-01-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Ask any pro bodybuilder who competes or anyone who knows more then the average guy who has made diet and training apart of there life and they'll tell you the same thing. To get big you need a strong source of protein,fat slow digesting low glycemic carbs like all I've suggested.Do some research and then question my suggestions

And white rice gives you a more puffy physique when bulking which to me would suggest that white rice has the ability to hold more water per gram of carbohydrate then brown.
    1. i asked myself ( i do compete and make diet and training a part of my life). you seem to speaking in broad strokes. in your earlier post you said that you "concentrate more on carbs and a lot less on protein". the phrasing came off a bit like protein wasn't important.

2. while that approach may work wonders for your physique, not every one is you. to get big you need excess calories. depending on insulin sensitivity or lack thereof, going super-high carb may not be the most beneficial tactic for everyone.

3. don't get your panties in a bunch. there was no offense meant.

I'm sure you have learned alot in the 6 days you have been here but you obviously havn't learned enough. I don't hear anyone else agreeing with you.I honestly never heard someone say that chicken is a good source for bulking.Sure it's a good protein for getting lean and building lean muscle not for bulking you knuckle headThis ain't my first rodeo son do some research then maybe your opinion might mean something until then don't suggest things you clearly know nothing about.
    Last edited by dedic8ed1; 12-01-2007 at 03:02 PM.

dude, you seem to have a serious attitude problem. the grams of protein you intake can be from a multitude of sources. You don't seem to grasp basic nutrition, but rather resort to ad hominem attacks and silly pictures.

bulking is an excess of calories, ingested with the goal of gaining weight, preferably more lbm than fat if done right. Chicken is neither a cutting nor bulking protein source, it is simply chicken. the results you achieve with your diet rely mainly on the sheer amount of food you eat. You can have the same exact food during both goals if you chose to do so, and just altered the quantity.

please don't mistake the length of time I have been on this particular board with how long I have been in this game, or how long I have been competing in the NPC or offering my services to other competitors for prep.

As for those who feel as I do, perhaps check the two posts after my original one.

i am not here to argue, i am simply pointing out that all ratios are not created equal. What works on your body may have a less than optimal effect on mine due to individual metabolism, insulin sensitivity, etc.

Oh, yeah - and chicken is always a good idea.

PS please don't call me son.
    Last edited by Succubus; 12-01-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Trenhead View Post
    i guess you would do that if your a real hardgainer that diet would make me look like the michelin man though white rice instead of brown dont see that one at all though
    i am a hard gainer. i kinda want a clean bulk. i guess im scared it will be hard for me to get my body fat down when i decide lean up for the spring. i know i asked for some cheap bulking foods but what are some other good bulking foods? like if im out or at a friends house and there cooking up some stuff. steak, pork chops ect

If you're a true hardgainer and you're out at a friend's or whatever, have whatever you want. ectos tend not to put much fat on anyway. Don't overthink it. Enjoy yourself; you're bulking!

yeah back in high school i could prob eat mc d's a few times a week and i still had a 6 pack and still was like a twig. im biger now and i have muscle definition but im still skinny. i know my height makes it hard for me too but i think it all boils down to my diet. i dont have a set meal planed out, and i believe thats my main problem. ive looked at the stickys and they have helped me out alot. i just need to know what different kind of foods to eat. i was thinking about following the sample meal list in the stickys but i dont want to eat the exact same thing everyday. i would like a little change maybe have different meals planed out for 3-4 days. then just keep alternating. is there a good book that i could get so i could have it for a reference

If you're a true hardgainer and you're out at a friend's or whatever, have whatever you want.
    oh i do but most of the time they want pizza and junk so ill just not have it and wait untill i can get some different food

Diamonite is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    very good input. i'm trying to bulk atm myself.

all inputs are great.

playing the i was here first game. and acting all childish. is ****ing stupid. nice advice succubus. congrats on being civil.

is there a good book that i could get so i could have it for a reference
    other than the crappy myoplex references, the soy protein and the calories being very low, this should give you some ideas. http://www.skinnyguy.net/ There may be other helpful info there for lifting. I'm not a skinny guy so I haven't perused the site much.

thanks bro ill check it out

cockMOTHAeffinDIESEL is offline Junior Member

what??protien is an absolute must have while bulking, just as important as carbs if not more so...theres nothing wrong with eating lean protein while bulking, sure you can eat sloppy and load up on carbs and bad sources of protien and you'll get exactly that, SLOPPY GAINS!!

if you wanna add some mass, carbs and protien are a must, however you dont have to go hog wild and eat averything in sight. the last thing you want is a bunch of extra fat...normal cheap bulking foods that wont fatten you up would inclue: chciken breast, tuna, egg whites(all very cheap, and great sources of protien)...brown rice, sweet potatoes, wheat bread, green vegetables(all very good complex carbs and deffinently within ones budget)

**Just an extra tip: i would stay away from simple carbs, there good for nothing but fattening you up IMO, for another good source of cheap protein you should look into whey protien powder, there are many different kinds available at very affordable prices

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I'm sure you have learned alot in the 6 days you have been here
    It's a broad generalization to assume someone is not knowledgeable because they are new here, although we get more than our share of fresh noobs, we also have many members who bring a great deal of knowledge and experience from their first day.

Quote Originally Posted by cockMOTHAeffinDIESEL View Post
    for another good source of cheap protein you should look into whey protien powder, there are many different kinds available at very affordable prices
    yeah i already take some..but i take it before and after i lift. i see that people drink it during the day as a one of their meals..should i do that also?

yeah i already take some..but i take it before and after i lift. i see that people drink it during the day as a one of their meals..should i do that also?
    if you need to to raise your intake, sure. whole food always is preferred and varied protein sources are good to get different amino profiles. whey really is a cheap source despite raising prices recently. it's good if you're in a bind, but be careful not to rely on liquid calories too much.

other than the crappy myoplex references, the soy protein and the calories being very low, this should give you some ideas. http://www.skinnyguy.net/ There may be other helpful info there for lifting. I'm not a skinny guy so I haven't perused the site much.
    this was their sample diet. it doesnt seem like there is anough food there for the day. the myoplex is that basicly whey?
    where can i get flaxseed oil? when i was at the grocery store i was looking for it but all i found was everything but that. would it say it on the front of the bottle or is it just in the ingredients?

It provides 2,440 calories, 234g of protein, 182g of carbs and 81g of fat:

8am -- Meal 1
    Myoplex, 1 tsp flaxseed oil
    432 calories, 42g of protein, 25g of carbs, 14g of fat

11pm -- Meal 2
    4 Whole Eggs w/ 1 cup of hash browns
    440 calories, 28g of protein, 36g of carbs, 20g of fat

2pm -- Meal 3
    6 oz. chicken breast with 1/2 cup of rice
    319 calories, 50g of protein, 23g of carbs, 7g of fat

5pm -- Meal 4
    4 whole eggs in a flour tortilla w/salsa
    367 calories, 24g of protein, 17g of carbs, 20g of fat

8pm -- Meal 5
    Myoplex, 1tsp flaxseed oil
    432 calories, 42g of protein, 25g of carbs, 14g of fat

8pm -- Meal 6
    6 oz grilled tuna with large baked potato, 1 cup of veggies
    450 calories, 48g of protein, 56g of carbs, 6g of fat

the sample diet isn't ideal, but the meals can help with ideas and the foods list is decent. myoplex is a below average meal replacement shake. i prefer flaxmeal over flaxseed oil because you get fiber too. you can get it at any decent health food store.

here's a generic bodybuilder's grocery list

*Proteins*

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Protein Powder
    Egg Whites or Eggs
    Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
    Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

*Complex Carbs*

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
    Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    Oat Bran Cereal
    Brown Rice
    Farina (Cream of Wheat)
    Multigrain Hot Cereal
    Pasta (Whole Wheat or Barilla Plus)

*Fibrous Carbs*

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers
    Brussels Sprouts
    Caul***ower
    Celery

*Other Produce & Fruits*

Cucumber
    Green or Red Pepper
    Onions
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

*Fruit* (limited while dieting): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries

Lemons or Limes

*Healthy Fats*

Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, macadamia, etc)
    Flaxseed Oil

*Dairy & Eggs*

Low-fat cottage cheese
    Eggs
    Low or Non-Fat Milk

*Beverages*

Bottled Water
    Diet Soda
    Crystal Light

*Condiments & Misc.*

Low fat Mayonnaise
    Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Salsa
    Chili powder
    Mrs. Dash
    Steak Sauce
    Sugar Free Maple Syrup
    Chili Paste
    Mustard
    Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
    Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
    Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste

cockMOTHAeffinDIESEL is offline Junior Member
    well i do because i am constantly on the go and i find it hard to sit down and eat a good helping of grilled chicken and veggies, so shakes come in handy as a good, quick source or nutrition for someone in my situation...if you have the time to cook your meals throughout the day and get all your needed nutrition then that is the better way to go because actual food is a better source of protien than shakes, however shakes are a great substitute for life on the go

as far as PWO nutrition goes, shakes are the only way to go because a liquid will be absorbed into your body at a much faster rate than a solid, and time is of the essance when it comes to PWO nutrition

Diamonite is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the extra ideas succubus!!

I owe you an apology succubus.My intolerance for frustration in my personal life has caused me to get out of line in situations that don't call for it.You really do have a valued degree of knowledge in this game,which lately is rare for a new member to have.A man can admit when he's out of line,as a senior member I like to embrace all that seek knowledge or give it new members or old.So with that being said I'm sorry budI've never lost it like that,my jurkoff realtor is trying to bullshit me in to giving him more money to get into this condo and I've been pissed all week.

apology accepted. Everyone has bad days. however, if you post a pic of bart simpson's ass again I'm going to have to kick your ass.

apology accepted. Everyone has bad days. however, if you post a pic of bart simpson's ass again I'm going to have to kick your ass.
    Suggestion noted

Thread Information