tripmachine is offline Senior Member

Brown rice NOT low glycemic???

So I was reading a little bit about carbs today on this site and it said brown rice is NOT a low glycemic carb...... ??

http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/carbs/8/

Is that true? I should still be eating brown rice over white rice correct? Should I limit eating rice altogether? More info from someone that could better explain this to me would be awesome! Thanks a lot!

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    bump, should i cut out the brown rice and eat some whole wheat pasta instead?

bump..... anyone have any feedback on this? Should we be staying away from brown rice??? sounds very odd to me

dude brown rice is NOT low glycemic. It's medium glycemic. Where a tomato is a 15, an apple is about a 38, and where straight ingested glucose is 100, brown rice is like 55 on the glycemic scale. It's NOT low glycemic, but it's certainly not HIGH glycemic.
    Last edited by barondumonde; 01-16-2008 at 02:18 AM.

i wouldn't stay away from brown rice unless you have a tendency to get fat...it should be ok for most **** dudes.

Adapted from Linus Pauling Institute website: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ains/gigl.html

Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

Glycemic Index

In the past, carbohydrates were classified as simple or complex based on the number of simple sugars in the molecule. Carbohydrates composed of one or two simple sugars like fructose or sucrose (table sugar) were labeled simple, while starchy foods were labeled complex because starch is composed of long chains of the simple sugar, glucose. Advice to eat less simple and more complex carbohydrates was based on the assumption that consuming starchy foods would lead to smaller increases in blood glucose than sugary foods (1). This assumption turned out to be too simplistic since the blood glucose (glycemic) response to “complex” carbohydrates has been found to vary considerably. A more accurate indicator of the relative glycemic response to dietary carbohydrates is the glycemic index.

Measuring the Glycemic Index of Foods

To determine the glycemic index of a food, volunteers are typically given a test food that provides 50 grams of carbohydrate and a control food (white bread or pure glucose) that provides the same amount of carbohydrate on different days (2). Blood samples for the determination of glucose are taken prior to eating and at regular intervals after eating over the next several hours. The changes in blood glucose over time are plotted as a curve. The glycemic index is calculated as the area under the glucose curve after the test food is eaten, divided by the corresponding area after the control food is eaten. The value is multiplied by 100 to represent a percentage of the control food. For example, a baked potato has a glycemic index of 76 relative to glucose and 108 relative to white bread, which means that the blood glucose response to the carbohydrate in a baked potato is 76% of the blood glucose response to the same amount of carbohydrate in pure glucose and 108% of the blood glucose response to the same amount of carbohydrate in white bread (3). In contrast, cooked brown rice has a glycemic index of 55 relative to glucose and 79 relative to white bread (4). In the traditional system of classifying carbohydrates, both brown rice and potato would be classified as complex carbohydrates despite the difference in their effects on blood glucose levels.

Physiological Responses to High- versus Low-Glycemic Index Foods

By definition, the consumption of high-glycemic index foods results in higher and more rapid increases in blood glucose levels than the consumption of low-glycemic index foods. Rapid increases in blood glucose are potent signals to the beta-cells of the pancreas to increase insulin secretion (2). Over the next few hours, the high insulin levels induced by consumption of high-glycemic index foods may cause a sharp decrease in blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia). In contrast, the consumption of low-glycemic index foods results in lower but more sustained increases in blood glucose and lower insulin demands on pancreatic beta-cells (5).

Glycemic Load

The glycemic index compares the potential of foods containing the same amount of carbohydrate to raise blood glucose. However, the amount of carbohydrate consumed also affects blood glucose levels and insulin responses. The glycemic load of a food is calculated by multiplying the glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate in grams provided by a food and dividing the total by 100 (1). Dietary glycemic load is the sum of the glycemic loads for all foods consumed in the diet. The concept of glycemic load was developed by scientists to simultaneously describe the quality (glycemic index) and quantity of carbohydrate in a meal or diet.

ahh cool! Thanks for posting the info! I guess we don't necessarily need all low glycemic carbs.... medium is fine i'm sure for cutting or bulking.... no reason not to eat a serving of brown rice a day is there?

Slaiv is offline Banned
    i eat about 40-50g of brown rice and after about 20min its like i didnt eat anything at all!!

it doesnt fill me one bit

could it be because i digested it fast? or because it didnt impact my insulin which makes me full?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    the GI is way overrated.. just consuming ample protein and good fats will greatly reduce the GI of practically any food assuming u didnt just eat like 30lbs of pure sugar.

Slaiv is offline Banned
    and eating cinnamon XD

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa View Post
    the GI is way overrated.. just consuming ample protein and good fats will greatly reduce the GI of practically any food assuming u didnt just eat like 30lbs of pure sugar.
    Cool thanks for chiming in here... :] I'll continue eating brown rice... Just didn't quite understand what was going on.... I think I should go enroll in a nutrition class at my local college, this stuff still confuses me quite a bit.. If someone is really knowledgeable in this area they are far ahead of the average joe trying to 'diet' or live life right..

Quote Originally Posted by Slaiv View Post
    and eating cinnamon XD
    yes!!! Cinnamon does wonders from what i hear, read, and know... I add some to shakes and oatmeal, flavors very well too!

Slaiv is offline Banned
    yes cinnamon is very good at keepin blood sugar levels low, in other words not allowing a dramatic spike in your insulin

of course not to be taken in breakfast, post workout or postworkout meal, seeing as how you need your isulin spiked at these crucial times of the day

i wonder if it would be good to take cinnamon pre workout? hmm....

oh crap... i've been taking it for breakfast and PWO blah!! i'll stop taking it for those two. Hmm.... I have no idea for pre workout + cinnamon... anyone else have a clue?

Slaiv is offline Banned
    bump for the cinnaminy answer

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa View Post
    Word. Glycemic load is just as important to be paying attention to.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac View Post
    Word. Glycemic load is just as important to be paying attention to.
    yep watermelon can be a prime example as it has a SUPER low GLoad due to the fact its mostly water but since its pure sugar w/ lil fiber its GI is high

Slaiv is offline Banned
    should i take cinnamon preworkout to control my insulin while im working out?

i've noticed also how important glycemic load can be...the important thing is how quickly blood glucose levels rise...that is ultimately what determines how much glucagon & insulin your body will secrete

DesiBoy is offline Associate Member
    Sweet potatoes are another alternative..... and it taste good.

Thread Information