tjpatrick1987 is offline Associate Member

Hard Gainer (need advice)

absolutely cant gain weight need some advice.... im 6'1 120 pounds. I've been skinny my whole life and I aint looking to gain a massive amount of weight.My goal is 150!!!! I've never weighed over 130.....IM still young (21yrsOld)..... I know how to build muscle and i could care less bout it.....First priority is gaining the weight because my goal 150 pounds aint even close to fat. I need high calorie foods. And how to figure out calories in foods that have no nutrional facts..I am a really stressed busy man and need help..NO SUPPLEMENTS PLEASE $$$$.. Please some advice.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    read the stickys outside the diet forum.

When i was younger i heard Non-Fat Dried milk and low fat milk mixed was a good weight gainer CHEAP TOO!!!!.... Whats the authenticity of that statement please feel free to drop advice I havent found an answer yet

admirals56 is offline Banned
    dont do cardio, eat bread, rice, pasta, lean meats, potatoes.

xXDevilDogXx is offline Associate Member
    According to Harris-Benedict calculations:

Men: RMR = 66.473 + (13.751*BW) + (5.0033*HT) - (6.755*Age)

You need 1601 calories to maintain your RMR. Add at least 500 calories to that to start putting on weight.

If you are working out hard, you are probably needing 1.55 times your regular caloric intake bringing it to 2481 then add the 500 calories.

That sounds a lot better to me bc when i did my journal of what i eat i estimated 1700 calories a day...and the calculator posted on the IMPORTANT notes on this DIET QUESTIONS told me i needed 2400 to maintain my weight which wasnt even close

i had to bring back a old thread of mine to report progress......over the last 6 months i have gained 30 lbs.... i am now 150 lbs... i have a goal to reach 170 by the end of the year....i am still really skinny at 6'1 150lbs. but have made big gains in lifting as well over the last six months. i still have a long way to go.....wish me luck fellas

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpatrick1987 View Post
    i had to bring back a old thread of mine to report progress......over the last 6 months i have gained 30 lbs.... i am now 150 lbs... i have a goal to reach 170 by the end of the year....i am still really skinny at 6'1 150lbs. but have made big gains in lifting as well over the last six months. i still have a long way to go.....wish me luck fellas
    Excellent work bro, very good to hear.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    keep up the good work bro, you are making great progress,just think where you will be 2 years from now,stay motivated.

i have to create another diet plan and post it and see wat people think...

8:00
    protein shake/ whole milk
    english muffin with 1 (tbsp) natural peanut butter
    550 calories 40 protein

10:00
    peanut buter power bar
    sunflower kernels
    350 calories 24 protein

12:00
    lunch break
    strawberry yogurt
    granola bar
    almonds
    peanut butter sanwhich
    610 calories 28 protein

3:00
    proteinshake with milk
    250 calories 31 protein

6:00
    8 oz lean new york strip steak (grilled to perfection)
    baked potatoe
    vegetable
    8oz milk
    730 calories 34g protein

9:00
    8 oz orange juice
    2 serv miniwheats with whole milk
    600 calories 12 grams protein

12:00 or later
    2 serv of natural peanut butter
    2 servings of celery
    460 calories 16 protein

total 3530 calories 184 grams protein
    what do you think for a hard gainer ... i think my body burns up carbs so im not to worried about it i have a good body type just skinny lol
    Last edited by tjpatrick1987; 07-16-2008 at 12:51 PM.

bump

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Calories and protein are all over the place. Carbs and fat per meal and total are not listed. Stuff like strawberry yogurt and granola bars usually have a lot of added sugar. Think simple, good choices. Like, meal 1: eggs, oats - meal 2: chicken, sweet potato, veg - Bring some canned tuna with lunch also if you're brown-baggin' it; you get the idea. Peanut butter and celery is not a meal. Neither is miniwheats and OJ. Neither is a powerbar and some nuts. You should shoot for more protein. Natural peanut butter is good, I like flax and fish oil too for "good fat" supplementation. 6:00 meal looks decent, and I believe there's a fair amount more protein in it than you listed.
    Last edited by Ernst; 07-16-2008 at 03:14 PM.

well my meals are at 8 ,12, and 6.. inbetween those are just healthy snacks that add up to be about 300-500 calories. I have checked out my yogurt for bad carbs and i eat this breyers stuff that has no preservatives and not alot of sugar.. peanut butter in celery is also a healthy snack.... I do have to cancel granola out because those things are loaded with sugar.....

Let's try this again. I'll be more of a jerk this time (it comes more naturally to me). There's nothing wrong with peanut butter and celery in and of itself- it's a good healthy choice; that's not what I mean. You don't need snacks, you need MEALS. Think more like 6 healthy meals, at about 500 calories a pop, spread throughout the day. Make sure to get some good carbs in before workout, and don't be shy about a nice protein shake after. Also, the only time you touch meat all day is 1 steak. I have chicken, turkey, salmon, tuna, and steak; and have about the same calories in my diet as you declared for yours- with roughly twice the protein. If you want to build muscle you need at least 1.5 grams protein per pound of body weight (or more). How do you expect to put meat on yourself with just bread and peanut butter? Plus, IMO a protein shake is not a substitute for a real breakfast.
    Last edited by Ernst; 07-17-2008 at 01:47 PM.

ill ad protein but because of m metabolism i need alot of carbs to it helps me make gains and trust me im not putting on fat im cut i have an ectomorph body style

Carbs are good!!! I never said anything about avoiding them. Just choose good sources.

bump bump bump.....bump bump...bump

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Good gains bro. Keep it up. I find its easier to gain weight when I stay with natural foods. Meat, oats, veggies, milk. Try cottage cheese instead of yogurt, get rid of the power bar, ect. Where's your post workout meal? It should be an hour after your workout

Thread Information