go4gold is offline Member

Cardio question?

When sustaining your heart rate in its target rate just as good as reading the calories burned according the machine. How acurate are the machines, Is there a standard way to calulate cals burned based on how long target geart rate was maintained?

PopTart09 is offline Junior Member
    i do not have a lot of knowledge.... hense im reply'ing because i have to get 25 posts in order to be able to pm and get on with my mission.... but i read somewhere on here that you dont start burning fat until 30 mins AFTER your cardio (tredmil, bike... w/e) dont hold me to it lol like i said i need the posts

PopTart09 is offline Junior Member
    haha.. i just re-read your post..... my answer has nothing to do with your question

~POPTart

roidboyjnr is offline Junior Member
    good question.
    ok ill say this . i was on a treadmill and had it set for distance. at 8k/h it was saying a rate of 651 cal/h.
    I used the same treadmill the next day on manual walking at 8k/h and it had my cal/h @1156 .
    i asked the gym owner and she said straight up there a load of shit...

id get your own HRM and see your doctor to work it out correctly.

Well i don't feel I need to see a doctor, but, I wouldn't mind Basing my cardio off of my target HR, But how can i figure out how many calories can I burn when sustaining a certin HR? Also, what target HR is best for most potential calorie that will be burned?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PopTart09 View Post
    i do not have a lot of knowledge.... hense im reply'ing because i have to get 25 posts in order to be able to pm and get on with my mission.... but i read somewhere on here that you dont start burning fat until 30 mins AFTER your cardio (tredmil, bike... w/e) dont hold me to it lol like i said i need the posts
    if you want to get your post numbers up go to the lounge, don't be posting useless shit on here! You have wasted everyone's time that bothered reading this thread.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    The way to burn the most calories in shortest time would be to raise your heart rate in the upper range 80-90% BUT with a heart rate that high most of the calories that are going to get burned come from carbohydrates and not fat (which is most peoples goal in this forum) 60% OR LOWER burn more fat calories but much less calories in all. thats why cardio is done for so long at a slow and stead rate.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by go4gold View Post
    When sustaining your heart rate in its target rate just as good as reading the calories burned according the machine. How acurate are the machines, Is there a standard way to calulate cals burned based on how long target geart rate was maintained?
    the machines aren't exact but they are a good marker. usually about 65-70% of your MHR done for 60 minutes is somewhere around 500cals. someone wanna check me on that though? i'm going off of experience.

roidboyjnr is offline Junior Member
    hey i also forgot to mention ( YES im an idiot ) my most sucessful way was doing a bike ride 20mins to start at 8/12 sprint splits.
    so jump on a bike at the gym and do 5-10 mins warm up.
    Then reset your time and have a medium level. do 8 seconds as fast as you can then coast for 12 recovery keep doing this all the way for 20 minutes as you find it easier in 2 weeks or so add more time or adjust resistance. from memory so dont quote me i think its 100bpm-135 bpm is the best fat burning range for my age 27-35.
    hey also some times you guys need to USE GOOGLE i searched ( fat burn heart rate ) and there is a boat load of info.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=fa...en-US:official

hope this help champ

Would working out in the AM pretty much eliminate any concerns of buring carbs for cals instead of fat since working out on empty stomach? I do plan on riding the bike, really like the cardio and the results you get in developing legs. I think I will do this in the AM on an empty stomach for 45min with heart rate at about 150-165 bpm. Reading on the fat burning zone vs cardio zone has some grey area to me. But thanks so much for the input, very helpful. We'll see how much fat I burn.

i would lower that heart rate a tad. being 28 means you could be mid 120's and burn fat.

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    You will burn between 100-120 cals/mile. Unless your obese. Then you burn more.

Quote Originally Posted by im83931 View Post
    You will burn between 100-120 cals/mile. Unless your obese. Then you burn more.
    how did you arrive at that estimate?

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    how did you arrive at that estimate?
    http://www.lipid.org/clinical/tlc/1000002.php

This is one of the many studies. In running circles it is a common figure.

Quote Originally Posted by im83931 View Post
    http://www.lipid.org/clinical/tlc/1000002.php

This is one of the many studies. In running circles it is a common figure.
    thanks for the read.

Thread Information