BigMatt is offline Junior Member

Low Carb diet = impossible to build muscle?

I just discovered that i am Insulin Resistant.

All the problems i had with concentration,studying,mental problems were all related to Carbohydrates.

Finally i know what the problem is.

But my question is it possible to live a healthy lifestyle and build muscle as a insulin resistant person?

For you guys heres what insulin resistant is:

In a person with normal metabolism, insulin is released from the beta (β) cells of the Islets of Langerhans located in the pancreas after eating ("postprandial"), and it signals insulin-sensitive tissues in the body (e.g., muscle, adipose) to absorb glucose to lower blood glucose. The beta cells reduce their insulin output as blood glucose levels fall, with the result that blood glucose is maintained at approximately 5 mmol/L (mM) (90 mg/dL).

In an insulin-resistant person, normal levels of insulin do not have the same effect on muscle and adipose cells, with the result that glucose levels stay higher than normal. To compensate for this, the pancreas in an insulin-resistant individual is stimulated to releases more insulin. The elevated insulin levels have additional effects (see insulin) which further cause biological effects throughout the body.

-Elevated insulin for me cause my blood sugar to drop Quickly below 5 , can reach 3.2, 3.5, which is way too low and is called "hyploglecimia".

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Well exercise will help with your insulin sensitivity to and extent. Whether moderate to high intensity cardio or resistance exercise is more effective is kinda up for debate. More recently though it seems that cardio is what some are leading to.

Also decrease in cholesterol may have some benefit. It is believed that since the insulin receptor is basically a two part receptor were the two components move across the cell membrane to come together to became a functional receptor. The theory is that since the cell membrane is a semi-fluidic (fluid mosaic model) substance that when you increase cholesterol content of the cell membrane this increases the the ability for the insulin receptor components to travel across the cell membrane to unit because of the increase in the viscosity of the cell membrane.

This is also believe to explain why the Hormone Leptin is elevated in insulin resistant individuals because it is a very similar receptor in structure and has to migrate together much the same as the insulin receptor.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I used to have regular problems with my blood glucose going below 70 mg/dl ( I think that's about 4 mmol/L). It has been as low as 50-55mg/dl.
    This usually happened when I had been going lifting fairly heavy/regularly for awhile without a week off and working a decent amount of OT.
    At first, I thought it was due to some health concerns with my heart and it's inability to cope with the workload. Eventually I found that I could maintain an semi-acceptable rate of progress without my BG crashing by ditching all the simple carbs except PWO and eating a very moderate amount of complex carbs
    Again my problems with my heart may influenced my results/actions, but maybe it will give you an alternative to try if you haven't already tried it.

FYI, for at least the last 6 years,my fasting BG when I have my annual physical has been between 74 and 92.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information