Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ChuckLee is offline Scammer

Carbs Post WO, Really Necessary???

Hi fellas,
    Reading many threads about carbs post-workout, about their role in timing while cutting.
    Well, I'm planning my cutting diet and since I'm pretty carb-sensitive, I am wondering if I REALLY need them to recover after my workout.
    People say that carbs play an important role in prevent muscle catabolism after weight training, but I don't have understand in which way they can do this yet. I think 50 grams of whey would suffice to prevent catabolism as well.
    Actually I'm taking 50mg of dextrose PWO along with wheys, and I'm noticeing that my belly bulges in the hours after my shake intake.
    What I wanna know and hear from you guys is if I can take some complex carbs instead of simple ones like dex/maltodex, or even don't take them at all since I am cutting and I've already the whey that make the trick.
    Diet guru, PB, told me that I have ALWAYS to have my carbs PWO, and I wanna listen him, but I'd like to know in which process they do prevent catabolism and if they are REALLY necessary to not lose hard achieved lean mass.

Thanks in advance.
    CL

tuh deh taup

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes you need them to restore glycogen levels. For the "bulge" can use Waxy Maize in lieu. Even complex carbs or low GI as in oats are ok.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries

pump.joe is offline Associate Member
    Yup. And they are unlikely to be stored as fat as long as you have your PWO soon after you finish the workout.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I read a study that confirmed the optimal ratio of protein/carbs for the best glycogen replentishment and muscle repair is a 1:2 ratio... MUCH better than protein or carbs alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I've already read that article few days ago and I found it pretty interesting, it has been part of the reason why I started this thread as well.

Thank you all guys

Bump for more wise answers plz

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    what about Post Post workout carbs..... how important are they while cutting?

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    They're important although I would reduce the amount you consume slightly.

TR'05 is offline Member
    IMHO, PWO carbs are essential. Insulin sensitivity is at its highest and the chances of not utilizing CHO for glycogen replenishment/recovery is near impossible.

That said, there are ways to replenish glycogen without CHO. Poliquin has been preaching a combination of whey protein isolate, glycine, and glutamine- all three is high doses- which can replenish glycogen sans CHO. The dosages CP recommends will surely leave you riding the porcelain throne, however.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    catabolic and all derivatives of the word = way overused.

catabolic can be used in reference to fat too, which is desirable. i suppose to be catabolic after a workout might generally be termed for muscle tissue, but with glycogen stores nearly or completely tapped, you would be primed for some catabolic activity in reference to fat.

in any case, carbohydrates PWO are absolutely necessary for many reasons. first of all, eating any form of carb/protein meal is what you want. no one says you have to have the simple sugars like dextrose pwo, personally, i don't see the need to eat sugar. people say "insulin spike" well it's merely a response, and any form of an insulin response, whether it comes from oats or dextrose, will provide the blunt to cortisol and begin glycogen replenishment.

stopping cortisol is one of the reasons to have a pro/carb meal PWO. also, people say, "to fill glycogen" well, that takes over 24 hours to achieve, the process merely needs to be started. and seeing as glycogen stores are filled from CHO's, carbohydrates are the best choice to begin and complete the process, this is why carbs help you with cardiac and muscular endurance, as well as explosive power and beneficial training sessions. carbs are absolutely essential to cutting, and i really do believe that if anyone tried a mainly pro/carb cutting diet they would have more success than with a diet consisting of mainly pro/fat, but that is my opinion.

now, protein synthesis. protein synthesis can begin merely but substituting BCAA's PWO. so those IMO are absolutely worth it. and a combination of pro/carb will provide essential building blocks to protein synthesis, and the glycogen replenishment will also aid in protein synthesis and muscle recovery, again, leading to productive training. this is one of the reasons i don't buy into the carb sensitivity crap. i love when people who say tey are carb sensitive still use dextrose PWO, but that is neither here nor there because what you eat PWO... in the great scheme of things, does not really matter in terms to your overall physique. it is highly over thought. no reason you couldn't have oats and your whey or chicken and rice or a couple tuna sandwiches.

i could go on and on about the benefits, but again i find myself trying to cover all bases and it's difficult. i think it would do you good to try any and all approaches for a few months. rate everything you can as objectively as possible. how were you feeling? struggling in workouts? lethargy? nervousness? homo-erotic tendencies? but seriously, keep a log of everything. then after all those months, return to see which combination of macros and timing worked best for you. i personally always do PWO cardio, whether its just a brisk 10 minute walk or a 30 minute 65% HR session. i find it helps me with soreness and i always make gains in the gym. i then consume a cup of fat free cottage cheese, 2 scoops of whey, a cup of skim milk, and a half cup of oats...cutting or bulking. the rest of my day will provide me the benefits of a selection of proteins, carbs, and fats. ramble.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    again, i don't see a reason not to have them. really in all honesty depends on your diet. i use pro/cab meals for every single meal while cutting. so pro/carb PPWO is a given for me.

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    again, i don't see a reason not to have them. really in all honesty depends on your diet. i use pro/cab meals for every single meal while cutting. so pro/carb PPWO is a given for me.
    nova do you mind explaining why you do this? when do you have your fats? also do you mind me asking what your macros are while cutting? thanks alot, i really appreciate your knowledge/feedback

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    i do the same as nova and I'm cutting like a mother
    i have 2 tb pb before bed

Quote Originally Posted by suprman09 View Post
    nova do you mind explaining why you do this? when do you have your fats? also do you mind me asking what your macros are while cutting? thanks alot, i really appreciate your knowledge/feedback
    i find that a steady level of insulin throughout the day will keep you lean and allow your body to really lose body fat. i don't really supplement any fats. i'm guessing i have about 15-20g a day from my lean protein choices. now i have a big problem with eating peanut butter, haha, so i try to limit my use. every few days i will have peanut butter with my protein before bed.

realistically i have about 240g of carbs a day, and a little over 350g of protein. usually all from oats and sweet potatoes, and any lean protein source i can find. i just divide my macros over how ever many meals i plan on eating and then i figure the grams of carbs per carb source and that tells me how much to eat. its all pretty simple. i do the same with my proteins. those numbers don't take into account my PWO because that is always the same, and it doesn't really throw off my weekly allowances because it is usually all the same, just more carbs and protein on those days.

i also do cardio a lot. i love to run sprints and i do them about an hour after a meal, and i will eat soon after doing them. i do morning cardio a few days a week too, for an hour. i enjoy it and i will take caffeine and a baby aspirin before. after cardio i just begin the pro/carb meals again. i also cycle my carbs and i keep them lower then some may recommend, but it is only for one day and i use a moderate level throughout the week, with one large refeed day followed by my lower day, which is never a training day.

i don't know if i said this or not, but my diet doesn't really vary when bulking or cutting. when bulking i will throw in some supplemented fats in the forms of nuts, peanut butter, and flax. i really don't see a problem with combining macros and i'vbe done it for years. i really don't see a need to add any more than about 15g of fat a meal either. so there isn't an issue with combining macros with me. personally i think it is overstated, and overemphasized. furthermore, when bulking i just up my carbs and supplemented fats. i may up protein if on cycle, but that's rare for me.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    i find that a steady level of insulin throughout the day will keep you lean and allow your body to really lose body fat. i don't really supplement any fats. i'm guessing i have about 15-20g a day from my lean protein choices. now i have a big problem with eating peanut butter, haha, so i try to limit my use. every few days i will have peanut butter with my protein before bed.

realistically i have about 240g of carbs a day, and a little over 350g of protein. usually all from oats and sweet potatoes, and any lean protein source i can find. i just divide my macros over how ever many meals i plan on eating and then i figure the grams of carbs per carb source and that tells me how much to eat. its all pretty simple. i do the same with my proteins. those numbers don't take into account my PWO because that is always the same, and it doesn't really throw off my weekly allowances because it is usually all the same, just more carbs and protein on those days.

i also do cardio a lot. i love to run sprints and i do them about an hour after a meal, and i will eat soon after doing them. i do morning cardio a few days a week too, for an hour. i enjoy it and i will take caffeine and a baby aspirin before. after cardio i just begin the pro/carb meals again. i also cycle my carbs and i keep them lower then some may recommend, but it is only for one day and i use a moderate level throughout the week, with one large refeed day followed by my lower day, which is never a training day.

i don't know if i said this or not, but my diet doesn't really vary when bulking or cutting. when bulking i will throw in some supplemented fats in the forms of nuts, peanut butter, and flax. i really don't see a problem with combining macros and i'vbe done it for years. i really don't see a need to add any more than about 15g of fat a meal either. so there isn't an issue with combining macros with me. personally i think it is overstated, and overemphasized. furthermore, when bulking i just up my carbs and supplemented fats. i may up protein if on cycle, but that's rare for me.

i figured your carbs were higher. this is you cutting? whats your carbs like when bulking?

also what body type are you? ecto?
    Last edited by naturalsux; 04-07-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: another ?

Quote Originally Posted by naturalsux View Post
    i figured your carbs were higher. this is you cutting? whats your carbs like when bulking?

also what body type are you? ecto?
    i have no idea what body type i am, i don't buy into that stuff. i'm probably a ****.

i really don't have a number available, but i just tried to pull a number i felt was reasonable. i guess they are a tad higher when i think about it, but right now i am losing fat slowly and making progress in the gym. i'm trying to lean out and still gain strength. it has been working for the last 2 weeks really well. i am trying to prime myself for a bulk in the late summer.

i have no idea what body type i am, i don't buy into that stuff. i'm probably a ****.

i really don't have a number available, but i just tried to pull a number i felt was reasonable. i guess they are a tad higher when i think about it, but right now i am losing fat slowly and making progress in the gym. i'm trying to lean out and still gain strength. it has been working for the last 2 weeks really well. i am trying to prime myself for a bulk in the late summer.

come on, you dont know your type? are you in between two?

a tad high when cutting?

thanks!

come on, you dont know your type? are you in between two?

a tad high when cutting?

thanks!
    I'm pretty sure he typed **** ecto or endo

yep apparently ME.SO is blocked

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he typed **** ecto or endo

yep apparently ME.SO is blocked

ok thanks.

catabolic and all derivatives of the word = way overused.

catabolic can be used in reference to fat too, which is desirable. i suppose to be catabolic after a workout might generally be termed for muscle tissue, but with glycogen stores nearly or completely tapped, you would be primed for some catabolic activity in reference to fat.

in any case, carbohydrates PWO are absolutely necessary for many reasons. first of all, eating any form of carb/protein meal is what you want. no one says you have to have the simple sugars like dextrose pwo, personally, i don't see the need to eat sugar. people say "insulin spike" well it's merely a response, and any form of an insulin response, whether it comes from oats or dextrose, will provide the blunt to cortisol and begin glycogen replenishment.

stopping cortisol is one of the reasons to have a pro/carb meal PWO. also, people say, "to fill glycogen" well, that takes over 24 hours to achieve, the process merely needs to be started. and seeing as glycogen stores are filled from CHO's, carbohydrates are the best choice to begin and complete the process, this is why carbs help you with cardiac and muscular endurance, as well as explosive power and beneficial training sessions. carbs are absolutely essential to cutting, and i really do believe that if anyone tried a mainly pro/carb cutting diet they would have more success than with a diet consisting of mainly pro/fat, but that is my opinion.

now, protein synthesis. protein synthesis can begin merely but substituting BCAA's PWO. so those IMO are absolutely worth it. and a combination of pro/carb will provide essential building blocks to protein synthesis, and the glycogen replenishment will also aid in protein synthesis and muscle recovery, again, leading to productive training. this is one of the reasons i don't buy into the carb sensitivity crap. i love when people who say tey are carb sensitive still use dextrose PWO, but that is neither here nor there because what you eat PWO... in the great scheme of things, does not really matter in terms to your overall physique. it is highly over thought. no reason you couldn't have oats and your whey or chicken and rice or a couple tuna sandwiches.

i could go on and on about the benefits, but again i find myself trying to cover all bases and it's difficult. i think it would do you good to try any and all approaches for a few months. rate everything you can as objectively as possible. how were you feeling? struggling in workouts? lethargy? nervousness? homo-erotic tendencies? but seriously, keep a log of everything. then after all those months, return to see which combination of macros and timing worked best for you. i personally always do PWO cardio, whether its just a brisk 10 minute walk or a 30 minute 65% HR session. i find it helps me with soreness and i always make gains in the gym. i then consume a cup of fat free cottage cheese, 2 scoops of whey, a cup of skim milk, and a half cup of oats...cutting or bulking. the rest of my day will provide me the benefits of a selection of proteins, carbs, and fats. ramble.
    Very educative post Nova.
    I think I'll opt for complex carbs as oats or something fibrous for my PWO meal.
    Thanks

CL

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nova is a highly educated guy when it comes to this stuff. There is no doubt in my mind that his diet is spot on whether he is bulking or cutting and he works his ass off, but from the pics I have seen of him, genetics are heavily on his side. This guy is ripped and jacked, very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Very educative post Nova.
    I think I'll opt for complex carbs as oats or something fibrous for my PWO meal.
    Thanks

CL
    yeah, you don't have to use simple carbs at all. i always go for the high GI carbs PWO. good luck on the progress whore

So, Nova whore, what should be the best sources for complex carbs?
    I was thinking on some oats in my shake but here they're hard to find, i'd have to buy them from another country, and if possible I'd avoid this. Some fibrous carbs as bananas?

So, Nova whore, what should be the best sources for complex carbs?
    I was thinking on some oats in my shake but here they're hard to find, i'd have to buy them from another country, and if possible I'd avoid this. Some fibrous carbs as bananas?
    no custom title yet??

i personally use sweet potaoes/yams. i know they aren't exactly the same thing. but yams here in the U.S. are usually just called sweet potatoes, because i guess they are probably cheap so stores don't carry yams.

so i use sweet potatoes. but i do use oats too. i just buy the quaker oats "old fashioned" kind. nanners are ok too. but i just use those two primary sources for my carbs. and broccoli, i think i have a broccoli addiction by the way.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    i think i have a broccoli addiction by the way.

o thats always a hard battle, good luck and dont give up on the meetings!

no custom title yet??

i personally use sweet potaoes/yams. i know they aren't exactly the same thing. but yams here in the U.S. are usually just called sweet potatoes, because i guess they are probably cheap so stores don't carry yams.

so i use sweet potatoes. but i do use oats too. i just buy the quaker oats "old fashioned" kind. nanners are ok too. but i just use those two primary sources for my carbs. and broccoli, i think i have a broccoli addiction by the way.
    So you eat potatoes and broccoli in the lockerroom right after your workout???
    Or they have to be meant PPWO?
    Can I have my why right after my WO and my complex carbs 1 hour after so?

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    So you eat potatoes and broccoli in the lockerroom right after your workout???
    Or they have to be meant PPWO?
    Can I have my why right after my WO and my complex carbs 1 hour after so?
    I would like to know this too.

Its better for glycogen replentishment and muscle recovery to have them together... i read a study on this a while back

Thanks AandF...
    Any other opinion on this?

No One Knows is offline Senior Member
    I do a shake with 70g WMS and 10g creatine right after my last set. When I get home(10-15 minutes later) I have my whey. THEN afte a shower and some bullshitting(about 45 minutes) I have some lean meat and a complex carb w/ veggies.

I've found that this works very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by No One Knows View Post
    I do a shake with 70g WMS and 10g creatine right after my last set. When I get home(10-15 minutes later) I have my whey. THEN afte a shower and some bullshitting(about 45 minutes) I have some lean meat and a complex carb w/ veggies.

I've found that this works very well for me.

why not the whey with WMS?

why not the whey with WMS?
    I've read that its better absorbed this way.(Waiting 15 minutes or so). The main priority PWO, as A&F stated is to replenish glycogen stores. The WMS will do that. Supposedly the protein is better absorbed if its consumed seperately(after) the WMS. I'll try to find the article...

Quote Originally Posted by No One Knows View Post
    I've read that its better absorbed this way.(Waiting 15 minutes or so). The main priority PWO, as A&F stated is to replenish glycogen stores. The WMS will do that. Supposedly the protein is better absorbed if its consumed seperately(after) the WMS. I'll try to find the article...

thats fine, i was just wondering. i thought you would want the WMS to push the whey in the muscles.

So what should be the minimum amount of carbs to injest to fully replenish glycogen stores?

thats fine, i was just wondering. i thought you would want the WMS to push the whey in the muscles.
    I've also read that consuming protein with carbs increases the rate of glycogen replenishment....So I dunno what to believe...

I've done both though and what I'm doing now seems to work better for me.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Dextrose = Glucose
    Glucose + Water = Glycogen

Simple as that. Simple carbs PWO (like Dextrose) are for replenishing glycogen levels. I've never felt that it has affected any of my cutting diets in a negative fashion. I do find I feel like shit if I miss my Pro/Dex shake after my workout though.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyX View Post
    Dextrose = Glucose
    Glucose + Water = Glycogen

Simple as that. Simple carbs PWO (like Dextrose) are for replenishing glycogen levels. I've never felt that it has affected any of my cutting diets in a negative fashion. I do find I feel like shit if I miss my Pro/Dex shake after my workout though.
    No glycogen is the stored form of carbohydrates in animal tissue. Its basically a bunch of glucose molecules strong together in branched polymer arrangements (Polysaccharide). It is analogous to plant starch, hence why it is sometimes referred to as animal starch.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    No glycogen is the stored form of carbohydrates in animal tissue. Its basically a bunch of glucose molecules strong together in branched polymer arrangements (Polysaccharide). It is analogous to plant starch, hence why it is sometimes referred to as animal starch.
    Right, that's what I'm saying. You are giving yourself dietary glucose at a time when (assuming intense workout) your body is in a glycogen shortage, this free floating dietary glucose in combination with the "insulin spike" it gives off IMO would provide the body a chance to quickly replenish glycogen stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information