AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires

Macros/Sodium question

I have a question that has been bothering me for some time... when you buy a steak, or chicken breast, and it says that there is a certain amount of fat and sodium in it, is that before or after cooking? Because I know when you cook steak a lot of the fat burns off, same w/ chicken, and chicken usually drips a lot of sodium-rich water off of it...

Are the nutrition facts before or after cooking?

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    for me, it doesn't make any sense for it to be AFTER.... after all, there are a millions ways to cook meat... also, if the protein per ounce on the label is based on raw weight, everything else must be listed that way too for the sake of consistency..so I'd say 99% it's BEFORE

that's just my .02 bro... sorry i can't provide a definite answer.. you could try emailing customer relations of the meat company or just ask your local butcher

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Yeah I'm sure its regulated by the FDA cuz they regulate the nutrition labels... its so weird though because 8 oz of chicken raw isn't 8 oz of chicken cooked... a lot of water leaves the meat and drips off... so if you figure 8oz=46g protein, then youre basing that on pre-cooked weight and youre actually getting more protein in 8 oz then if you weigh it after cooking....

A bit nitpicky but I'm really curious about this

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969 View Post

Are the nutrition facts before or after cooking?

If you're referring to the actual label... It's pre-cooking.

If you're referring to the labels online...They usually say whether they're referring to raw or cooked.

If you weigh your foods after cooking...Getting the right serving size is as easy as going to calorie-count.com and inputting the food.

-CNS

p.s. w/ regard to sodium and fats listed on labels v.s. how much is actually left in the food after cooking: I always over-estimate how much fat i'm consuming. So i go by what the label says. Better to over-estimate than to under-estimate.

Thread Information