Minus 5 is offline New Member

Flax seed vs ***** 3

Which is better??
    Why is it absolutely necessary??
    What are the long term results??

I have been reading, just need these answered, which of course will lead to other questions.
    I have started a workout, now im looking for correct diet and meds.

Thanks in advance

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Make use of both.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Flax seed is o.m.e.g.a 3 bud.

EFA's are good for overall health. They are lipids but unsaturated, they help to lower low density lipoproteins and keep cholesterol levels lower as well. Help with cardiovascular health and even joint and muscle lubrication. Cognitive function is somethin they are supposed to help with as well.

Many benefits, just overall good dietary fat to have. You need a mix of saturated and unsaturated fats in your diet.

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    EFA's are good for overall health. They are lipids but unsaturated, they help to lower low density lipoproteins and keep cholesterol levels lower as well. Help with cardiovascular health and even joint and muscle lubrication. Cognitive function is somethin they are supposed to help with as well.

Many benefits, just overall good dietary fat to have. You need a mix of saturated and unsaturated fats in your diet.
    Bino do you agree with this statement,I was talking about hemp oil and he said this:

` Fish oil is far superior to hemp oil actually, as hemp does not contain any EPA or DHA, the body has to convert the ALA found in hemp into EPA and DHA. This is a very inefficiant process (8-11% IIRC).`

goose is offline Banned
    Man this board is silly,they should not censor them words out O,a real key word..........I know why,but still.
    Last edited by goose; 04-20-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Oh ya for sure Goose my man. Any plant source has to convert DHA and EPA where in fish oil its inherent. BUT I dont agree that its far superior. You get 2 EFA's from fish whereas plant based oils can give you 6 or so.

I dunno I suppose it depends on your dietary intake right? I eat fish 2 times everyday so I never take additional fish oils. I say why not take a plant based oil and get a broader spectrum? You can take hemp or a 3-6-9 oil and get 6 oils from it. You get 2 from fish.

I think the problem that a lot of people have when arguing about nutrition is their preferences get in the way of logic.

For someone to come out and say fish oils are FAR SUPERIOR to hemp is just showing a personal preference imo. They are both good. They both have benefits and offer different EFA's so I couldnt say which is actually better. But if you eat fish than buy a plant based oil imo. If you dont eat fish than sure you should get some fish oils to use as supplementation.

goose is offline Banned
    Oh ya for sure Goose my man. Any plant source has to convert DHA and EPA where in fish oil its inherent. BUT I dont agree that its far superior. You get 2 EFA's from fish whereas plant based oils can give you 6 or so.

I dunno I suppose it depends on your dietary intake right? I eat fish 2 times everyday so I never take additional fish oils. I say why not take a plant based oil and get a broader spectrum? You can take hemp or a 3-6-9 oil and get 6 oils from it. You get 2 from fish.
    Yes I recall that,just like you my diet contains fish on a daily basis,so you inspired me to look into hemp oil.I have read some amazing things on it,I also take krill oil also amazing mind blowing.
    ,so now I have replaced my fish/flax with hemp,damm happy with that.I thank you for that

HAVOKGT is offline Junior Member
    bro that is a fat ass.... ghetto booty fo sho lol!!!

Ok lets see if I learned anything ... if one consumes fish every day, its better to go with a plant oil, instead of fish oil?? and how about the mercury levels in tuna?? How much can one consume daily safely?? and is there o.m.e..3 in that fish type?? is it better to have more oils as mentioned ubove, or just 2 oils?? whats the benefits??

Thanks for the awsome advice ...
    Last edited by Minus 5; 04-22-2008 at 09:38 PM.

did i learn anything??

Quote Originally Posted by Minus 5 View Post
    Ok lets see if I learned anything ... if one consumes fish every day, its better to go with a plant oil, instead of fish oil?? and how about the mercury levels in tuna?? How much can one consume daily safely?? and is there o.m.e..3 in that fish type?? is it better to have more oils as mentioned ubove, or just 2 oils?? whats the benefits??

Thanks for the awsome advice ...
    Tuna from a can or whatever wont even have much EFA's at all. And the mercury is not something to worry about. Buy fresh fish not canned.

DrBell is offline Junior Member

fishy smells

You can't eat enough ground flax or fish to get the EFA's you need. Supplementation is the key. I prefer the flax and borage over fish because of the smell. Some of the perverted bastards on here probably squeeze the gels of fish oil on their finger so they can waft it under their nose all day and call it stale vag juice. LOL Nah just kiddin' I don't like the burps fish smell and cats following you. Just preference, but as long as you get the 3,6,9 mixture you are good to go. EFA's need to stay in a ratio just like the B vitamins. You should always take them in a complex unless you have a condition that is cause by a deficiency in just one of them. Then you take one to bring it up to par. Otherwise just don't over do it. 2000-3000mg is all you really need. Anymore than that and you are going to be able to shit through a screen fence. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DrBell View Post
    You can't eat enough ground flax or fish to get the EFA's you need. Supplementation is the key. I prefer the flax and borage over fish because of the smell. Some of the perverted bastards on here probably squeeze the gels of fish oil on their finger so they can waft it under their nose all day and call it stale vag juice. LOL Nah just kiddin' I don't like the burps fish smell and cats following you. Just preference, but as long as you get the 3,6,9 mixture you are good to go. EFA's need to stay in a ratio just like the B vitamins. You should always take them in a complex unless you have a condition that is cause by a deficiency in just one of them. Then you take one to bring it up to par. Otherwise just don't over do it. 2000-3000mg is all you really need. Anymore than that and you are going to be able to shit through a screen fence. LOL
    You only need 3g? Yet you say you cant eat enough fish or flax to get enough?

You sure you worded that right? You dont think you can get 2-3g of EFA's from flax or fish without supplementation...

Maybe if you are eating like a baby. Do not agree with this post AT ALL.

Thanks for the good replies, please close this thread.

DrBell is offline Junior Member
    You only need 3g? Yet you say you cant eat enough fish or flax to get enough?

You sure you worded that right? You dont think you can get 2-3g of EFA's from flax or fish without supplementation...

Maybe if you are eating like a baby. Do not agree with this post AT ALL.
    Yea I worded it right. I suppose you could, but I wouldn't try. You would have to eat ground flax on everything. If you look at the EFA amount you get from 1 tblsp of ground flax it is low. Remember you will only break down and absorp a certain percentage of what you eat. I also wouldn't recommend trying to eat that much fish. Mercury levels. But then again if you don't check the methods of EFA production you don't know if they are cold compressing then they could leach mercury into the oils too. Not trying to argue. You could ingest that much, but I would rather take the supplements. Some people prescribe to the whole foods theory. Peace bro

Quote Originally Posted by DrBell View Post
    Yea I worded it right. I suppose you could, but I wouldn't try. You would have to eat ground flax on everything. If you look at the EFA amount you get from 1 tblsp of ground flax it is low. Remember you will only break down and absorp a certain percentage of what you eat. I also wouldn't recommend trying to eat that much fish. Mercury levels. But then again if you don't check the methods of EFA production you don't know if they are cold compressing then they could leach mercury into the oils too. Not trying to argue. You could ingest that much, but I would rather take the supplements. Some people prescribe to the whole foods theory. Peace bro
    Mercury levels is a big myth. Show me one news article of someone having mercury problems from eating too much fish.

Also, cold pressed you say? Hope you dont live in North America because that is a completely meaning term you do realize as there are no standards for what cold pressed means. Temperatures of presses can exceed 100 degrees celcius and still be labeled as cold pressed. Hell they can be 200 degrees celcius lol.

And why not recomend eating that much fish. I eat 16oz of fish per day giving me at least 15g of unsaturated fats.

Thats the same as taking 15 pills of fish oils. So I think sticking with whole foods is the way to go imo.

Not saying supplementing is bad by any means. But it is very easy to attain what you need through diet without having any harmful effects.

Thread Information