Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    and as far as fat goes im a little short im my diet so i was gunna have 5grams of evo with meal 1 and PWO and then 12-14grams with my b4 bed meal. is there any problems with any of this ???
    i think those ideas would be fine.

maybe not 14g, but adding some before bed is fine.

any new questions, ideas, or topics?

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    well sense u asked when bulking should people just add 500 kcals to the TDEE and still eat clean and do less cardio? or is there anything else to it. Also this all helps me alot because i just got my PFT cert i passed the test with a 90% and this will help me to help others

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    I have some new potential topics.

Most of you know i tout Cinnamon, cocoa, chromium, and b-complex vitamins as Glucose Disposal Agents (GDAs).

Of late I have a client with a history of heart & thyroid problems using Grape Seed Extract on my recommendations.

Her energy levels have sky-rocketed...as have her carb utilization.

Yesterday I was reading an article by Poliquin with corroborating suggestions for use of this compound for this purpose.

Thus far the young lady has been on the supplement for a month and some...

So it appears to be a viable addition to my GDA protocol.

My question to the readers of this thread would be: Who has tried it in this capacity?

-CNS

Blog Entries
    well sense u asked when bulking should people just add 500 kcals to the TDEE and still eat clean and do less cardio? or is there anything else to it. Also this all helps me alot because i just got my PFT cert i passed the test with a 90% and this will help me to help others
    It is very individualistic to be honest.

Depends on a lot of factors... including how lean the individual is.. both naturally, and at said point in time.

-CNS

Well i know this is off topic but i just got my Personal trainer cert. after passing my test and taking some classes. and i wanted to know when you first started out how you when about getting clients? if you would like for me to talk about this in a different thread or via PM's please let me know.

-AJ

Blog Entries
    ^^Admittedly off-topic.

You can send me PMs if you wish.

I will concede that i've never gone looking for clients...and oftentimes i turn people down...as it isn't solely about money for me...as my clients may tell you.

-CNS

slmcook28 is offline Junior Member
    What do you guys think about my bulking diet?

6'0 195 working out 4 days a week.30 Yrs old.
    Working out is my only exercise no cardio I have a fast metabolism and doing cardio hard for me to gain.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2v16vbp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Fasted Cardio not a must:

1: J Appl Physiol. 2008 Apr;104(4):1045-55. Epub 2008 Feb 14.
    Effect of training in the fasted state on metabolic responses during exercise with carbohydrate intake.

De Bock K, Derave W, Eijnde BO, Hesselink MK, Koninckx E, Rose AJ, Schrauwen P, Bonen A, Richter EA, Hespel P.
    Research Center for Exercise and Health, F.A.B.E.R. - K.U.Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, B-3001 Leuven Heverlee, Belgium.
    Skeletal muscle gene response to exercise depends on nutritional status during and after exercise, but it is unknown whether muscle adaptations to endurance training are affected by nutritional status during training sessions. Therefore, this study investigated the effect of an endurance training program (6 wk, 3 day/wk, 1-2 h, 75% of peak Vo(2)) in moderately active males. They trained in the fasted (F; n = 10) or carbohydrate-fed state (CHO; n = 10) while receiving a standardized diet [65 percent of total energy intake (En) from carbohydrates, 20%En fat, 15%En protein]. Before and after the training period, substrate use during a 2-h exercise bout was determined. During these experimental sessions, all subjects were in a fed condition and received extra carbohydrates (1 g.kg body wt(-1) .h(-1)). Peak Vo(2) (+7%), succinate dehydrogenase activity, GLUT4, and hexokinase II content were similarly increased between F and CHO. Fatty acid binding protein (FABPm) content increased significantly in F (P = 0.007). Intramyocellular triglyceride content (IMCL) remained unchanged in both groups. After training, pre-exercise glycogen content was higher in CHO (545 +/- 19 mmol/kg dry wt; P = 0.02), but not in F (434 +/- 32 mmol/kg dry wt; P = 0.23). For a given initial glycogen content, F blunted exercise-induced glycogen breakdown when compared with CHO (P = 0.04). Neither IMCL breakdown (P = 0.23) nor fat oxidation rates during exercise were altered by training. Thus short-term training elicits similar adaptations in peak Vo(2) whether carried out in the fasted or carbohydrate-fed state. Although there was a decrease in exercise-induced glycogen breakdown and an increase in proteins involved in fat handling after fasting training, fat oxidation during exercise with carbohydrate intake was not changed.

-CNS
    so what im getting out of this is if i wake up and do cardio or wake up eat and then do cardio im going to burn the same amount of fat either way?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slmcook28 View Post
    What do you guys think about my bulking diet?
    I don't see it posted here.

Blog Entries
    so what im getting out of this is if i wake up and do cardio or wake up eat and then do cardio im going to burn the same amount of fat either way?
    Technically.

Like I've said previously, the most important factor in doing cardio is actually doing it.

-C

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    Hey Narkissos i was wondering if you could help me out with some advice on how to get my lean bulk diet up to scratch thanks.

Age: 23 weight: 195 Bodyfat: 12ish Training: 2yrs no cyle experience as of yet. Currently lifting 4 days a week 50mins duration

im needing some help in getting my clean bulk diet on track. Currently i have split my macros up using 40/40/20 method (using fitday.com) and attempted to seperate carbs and fat as much as possible (still not sure if this is the best way to go) but i guess i will find out hey

Meal 1
    2 scoop protein
    1.5 cup oats

cals 834, Fat 16.7, Carbs 95.5, prot 62.7

Meal 2 (PWO)
    2 scoop protein
    1.5 cup oats

Meal 3
    80z chicken breast
    1 cup basmati rice
    Green Vegies
    Cals 602, Fat 7g, Carb 78.7, Prot 51.4

Meal 4
    80z chicken breast
    1 cup basmati rice
    Green Vegies
    Cals 602, Fat 7g, Carb 78.7g, Prot 51.4g

Meal 5
    Tuna
    1 pkt Almonds or flax
    Salad

Cals 420, Fat 18g, Carb 1.9, Prot 61

Meal 6
    8 egg whites
    1.5 pkt Almods or flax
    1 scoop casein

Cals 533/ Fat 23.8/Carb 7.2/prot 39.8

Totals 3824 cals, 89.3g fat, 357.56 carb, 356.6g prot
    40/40/20

any help to get this bulk diet up to scratch would be much appreciated so please critique away. i am also using chromium picolonate with at least 2 or 3 of my higher carb meals and any recommendation of a suitable number of cardio sessions would also be much appreciated

Thanks NBRD

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    I'm coming back from an injury where I had to take a few
    months off from heavy lifting. In that time I have gone from
    193@14% to 172@12%. I am really tempted to start a
    cycle.........tomorrow...Anyway, I'm posting the revised
    diet that I'm trying to follow since starting school, its
    quite a task to get the meals in with all of the classes and
    obligations that I have. Right now, the diet has way too
    many calories from fat. That being said, I'm not very
    creative in the kitchen so I need help in that area as well
    as getting more kcals in my bedtime meal.

Ht:5'9
    Wt:172 @ 12% (caliper)
    Training: 3 yrs
    Cycle: ASAP

Meal 1:
    1 cup egg whites
    2 whole eggs (scrambled)
    1 cup Oatmeal
    1 slice stone ground whole wheat bread

Cals 640 Pro 46g/Carb 47g/Fat 30g

Between Classes:
    Big 100 Met** bar

Cals-410 Pro 32g/Carb 43g/Fat 13g

Meal 2:
    1 PB&J Sandwich
    16fl.oz. Milk

Cals 579 Pro 27g/Carb 65g/Fat 25g

Meal 3: PreWO
    1 boneless skinles chk breast
    1 cup brown rice

Cals-679 Pro 63g/Carb 46g/Fat 25g

Meal 4:PWO
    1 can tunafish
    1tbsp Mayo
    2 slices whole wheat
    1 can soda

Cals-725 Pro 53g/Carb 30g/ fat 27g

Meal 5: PPWO
    1 baked potato
    1tbsp sour cream
    1tbsp butter

Cals-829 Pro 65g/Carb 46g/Fat 43g

Meal 6: I need ideas for before bedtime...
    Optimum Whey Shake

Cals-120 Pro 24g/Carb 3g/Fat 1g

TOTALS: 3,735 calories/day

Protein 282grams/Carbs 314grams/Fats 150grams

Protein: 1,167 calories (282 grams)
    Carbs: 1,256 calories (314 grams)
    Fats: 1,330 (150 grams)

Blog Entries
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by NBRD1808 View Post
    Hey Narkissos i was wondering if you could help me out with some advice on how to get my lean bulk diet up to scratch thanks.

Age: 23 weight: 195 Bodyfat: 12ish Training: 2yrs no cyle experience as of yet. Currently lifting 4 days a week 50mins duration

im needing some help in getting my clean bulk diet on track. Currently i have split my macros up using 40/40/20 method (using fitday.com) and attempted to seperate carbs and fat as much as possible (still not sure if this is the best way to go) but i guess i will find out hey

Meal 1
    2 scoop protein
    1.5 cup oats

Meal 2 (PWO)
    2 scoop protein
    1.5 cup oats

meals 1 and 2 you should eat whole foods mate. this would easily be 10oz of chicken, beef, steak, or fish with a couple medium sized red potatoes or a larger sweet potato.

and judging from what i have here 1.5 cups of oats is about 70-80g of carbs, not nearly 100.

Meal 3
    80z chicken breast
    1 cup basmati rice
    Green Vegies
    Cals 602, Fat 7g, Carb 78.7, Prot 51.4

i hate rice, but if you can tolerate it, go ahead. 80oz of chicken should be 8. best meal so far. all other should be this simple.

Meal 4
    80z chicken breast
    1 cup basmati rice
    Green Vegies
    Cals 602, Fat 7g, Carb 78.7g, Prot 51.4g

Meal 5
    Tuna
    1 pkt Almonds or flax
    Salad

Cals 420, Fat 18g, Carb 1.9, Prot 61

you have a 200ish calorie difference here than in your other meals. what you should do when planning a diet, is take your total caloric needs divided by the number of meals you want to have in a day. then you work back from there when planning your meals.

Meal 6
    8 egg whites
    1.5 pkt Almods or flax
    1 scoop casein

should be ok. could go with cottage cheese for the real deal casein instead of using liquids.

Cals 533/ Fat 23.8/Carb 7.2/prot 39.8

Totals 3824 cals, 89.3g fat, 357.56 carb, 356.6g prot
    40/40/20

now your spread is spot on, so factoring in different foods while keeping those macros generally the same is your biggest issue for now.

any help to get this bulk diet up to scratch would be much appreciated so please critique away. i am also using chromium picolonate with at least 2 or 3 of my higher carb meals and any recommendation of a suitable number of cardio sessions would also be much appreciated

cardio, depends on your growth, and any growth potential. i can grow and do cardio 5-6 mornings a week. so if you can nail down this diet, you may not need any. Or you may choose that a few sessions a week are appropriate. it's really your call.

Thanks NBRD
    bold

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    I'm coming back from an injury where I had to take a few
    months off from heavy lifting. In that time I have gone from
    193@14% to 172@12%. I am really tempted to start a
    cycle.........tomorrow...Anyway, I'm posting the revised
    diet that I'm trying to follow since starting school, its
    quite a task to get the meals in with all of the classes and
    obligations that I have. Right now, the diet has way too
    many calories from fat. That being said, I'm not very
    creative in the kitchen so I need help in that area as well
    as getting more kcals in my bedtime meal.

if your fatty meals are your problem, then i'll try and reconstruct them for you, and i'll help you decide on a bedtime meal.

Ht:5'9
    Wt:172 @ 12% (caliper)
    Training: 3 yrs
    Cycle: ASAP

Meal 1:
    1 cup egg whites
    2 whole eggs (scrambled)
    1 cup Oatmeal
    1 slice stone ground whole wheat bread

Cals 640 Pro 46g/Carb 47g/Fat 30g

this meal probably only has 15g fat in it, honestly. and i think it's a good start.

Between Classes:
    Big 100 Met** bar

Cals-410 Pro 32g/Carb 43g/Fat 13g

Meal 2:
    1 PB&J Sandwich
    16fl.oz. Milk

Cals 579 Pro 27g/Carb 65g/Fat 25g

and ouch. so i don't know your schedule, but this meal is just, no, nope. if you want to use milk, ok, but I would suggest 8oz of lean meat, and a viable carbohydrate source. if i were to pick i would pick a potato.

Meal 3: PreWO
    1 cup brown rice

Cals-679 Pro 63g/Carb 46g/Fat 25g

good here, and i really don't see where you find 25g of fat on that chicken. on just one breast you may get 5g, not 25. and for that amount of protein you have listen it should be about 10oz of chicken, probably not one breast.

Meal 4:PWO
    1 can tunafish
    1tbsp Mayo
    2 slices whole wheat
    1 can soda

Cals-725 Pro 53g/Carb 30g/ fat 27g

diet soda? i hope so. if not, can the can. get rid of the mayo, that will drop some of that fat. if you drop it i don't see how you can have more than 8g of fat in this meal, acceptable. if you have whey protein to use, you could always use it here with your skim milk. just an idea.

Meal 5: PPWO
    1 baked potato
    1tbsp sour cream
    1tbsp butter

Cals-829 Pro 65g/Carb 46g/Fat 43g

chicken and a potato. simple. drop the flare to even our your fats in this meal.

Meal 6: I need ideas for before bedtime...
    Optimum Whey Shake

cottage cheese. casein, it's tried and true. how about 4-6oz of steak and a cup of cottage cheese.

Cals-120 Pro 24g/Carb 3g/Fat 1g

TOTALS: 3,735 calories/day

Protein 282grams/Carbs 314grams/Fats 150grams

these numbers will work for now, and i don't see it possible in the meals you have listed, for your fats to be that high.

Protein: 1,167 calories (282 grams)
    Carbs: 1,256 calories (314 grams)
    Fats: 1,330 (150 grams)

maybe up the protein a tad, and I think with the critiques you should be able to. Overall I made my adjustments in bold and i think they should help you. repost your new diet when that time comes, so we can have another look over.

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    I have some new potential topics.

Most of you know i tout Cinnamon, cocoa, chromium, and b-complex vitamins as Glucose Disposal Agents (GDAs).

Of late I have a client with a history of heart & thyroid problems using Grape Seed Extract on my recommendations.

Her energy levels have sky-rocketed...as have her carb utilization.

Yesterday I was reading an article by Poliquin with corroborating suggestions for use of this compound for this purpose.

Thus far the young lady has been on the supplement for a month and some...

So it appears to be a viable addition to my GDA protocol.

My question to the readers of this thread would be: Who has tried it in this capacity?

-CNS
    haven't tried it, but i do use chromium, b vits, and cinnamon multiple times daily.

also, how does the concentrated for of grape seed extract work in regard to insulin sensitivity? does it help like cinnamon? or is it merely a GDA that allows for blood sugar to be suspended longer? just trying to grasp the idea...

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks bro i appreciate your feedback. I am in the process of substituting protein powder for beef in my first meal as you suggested. I also made the mistake of counting 1 serve of oats (when putting it into the fitday.com database) as consisting of 100g i weight so thats why my total carb count in this meal is wrong but i will make the necessary changes.

For meal 5 i think im going to add in about 30-40 extra grams of carbs which should even out the 200 calorie variance when compared to my other meals and this would take my total carb count to about 400ish grams

i will also swith casein powder and cottage cheese from time to time just for a little difference. I have been doin cardio 2-3 times a week so far and thanks for you input here as well

NBRD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    haven't tried it, but i do use chromium, b vits, and cinnamon multiple times daily.

also, how does the concentrated for of grape seed extract work in regard to insulin sensitivity? does it help like cinnamon? or is it merely a GDA that allows for blood sugar to be suspended longer? just trying to grasp the idea...
    The active components in GSE are Polyphenols and Proanthocyanidins.

Of note would be Proanthocyanidin.

Often products combine different Proanthocyanidin sources like Grape Seed extract and Pine Bark extract...

Here's a thesis paper which investigates the Proanthocyanidins of Cinnamomum zeylanicum (that's right.. our good friend Cinnamon!) ... and it's effect on glucose disposal:

Taher, M. (2005) Isolation and in vitro antidiabetic properties of a proanthocyanidin from Cinnamomum zeylanicum. PhD thesis, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.

Characterization and in vitro testing of antihyperglycemic activity of a natural product from the stem bark of Cinnamomum zeylanicum have been carried out.

Characterization was carried out using HPLC, ultraviolet, infrared, 1H and 13C nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. Based on the spectroscopics data, bioactive compound was identified as cinnamtannin B1.

Cinnamtannin B1 is a double linked flavan-3-ol trimer known as A-type proanthocyanidin. Its activity was evaluated using cell proliferation, cell differentiation, glucose regulation and phosphorylation of insulin receptor -subunit in 3T3-L1 cells.

Cinnamtannin B1 promoted cell proliferation approximately 2-fold at 48 hours after treatment. Dosage range of cinnamtannin B1 in promoting cell proliferation was 100-150 g/mL (0.11-0.17 mM). A mixture of 0.1 mM cinnamtannin B1 and 150-200 g/mL water extract induced differentiation of adipocytes similar to that of the insulin activity.

Addition of cinnamtannin B1 into the culture of 3T3-L1 adipocyte increased glucose consumption up to 32%. The mixture of 0.1 mM cinnamtannin B1 and 100 nM insulin stimulated glucose uptake from a basal value by 1.8 and 1.7-fold, respectively.

Cinnamtannin B1 and water extract stimulated phosphorylation of insulin receptor -subunit. There was no phosphorylation of insulin receptor observed in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. The activity of cinnamtannin B1 in stimulating glucose uptake and phosphorylation were inhibited by wortmannin and cytochalasin B. In contrast, sodium orthovanadate stimulated glucose uptake and phosphorylation.

The results demonstrated that activity of cinnamtannin B1 and water extract mimics insulin action. They acted directly on insulin receptor -subunit by activation of PI3-kinase that stimulates glucose transporter-4 (GLUT-4) translocation. Stimulation of GLUT4 translocation therefore stimulates glucose uptake lead to glucose disposal process in adipocytes.

Based on the work that has been carried out, it was suggested that cinnamtannin B1 could be one of the potential lead drug compound in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.

good stuff. and very interesting results. almost like a fat loss supp.

Blog Entries
    ^^Yep.

Tried it on a client of mine of late.. Time to do a controlled trial on myself.

May do this in combination with fish oil and digestive enzymes.

Should be fun

u made ur client ginny pig? lol

Blog Entries
    u made ur client ginny pig? lol
    Of course.

She needed immediate help and her case was special: heart/thyroid problems.

Couldn't use certain supplements without risking hospitalization.

So i went with the safest compounds.

-C

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Hey Nark & Nova this is a great thread.. Big props to you guys for taking the time out to help everyone with their diets!
    My diet has been pretty much all over the place for a long time and i thought i knew what i was doing but since reading over this entire thread and looking at different articles i have since changed my thoughts on alot of things.

I am going to see if i can get my BF tested today at my gym then i will post up my diet to see what you guys think. I have guestimated my maintenance cals to be around 2800/day but using the HB formular it puts maintenance just over 3000 and i know how much you hate guessing so its getting tested hahaha...

My previous diet i was trying to carb cycle without fully understanding how it worked and without having a base diet to work from, so as you can imagine i have been eating things all over the place with the only constant thing being my protein remaining the same through all meals, which i am pretty sure i was consuming to much of anyway.

For today or until i can get my BF tested i have worked out a diet based on 2800 cals and once i make the new one acording to my LBM i will follow a maintenance calorie diet for 4-6 weeks with calories evenly spread throughout the day to see how my body composition changes and then tweak it from there (what are your thoughts on this).

Once again thanks for all the info guys! Talk soon...

By the way here's soms stats:

Height: 180cm
    Weight: 87kg
    BF: unkown at the moment
    Goals: bring BF down until i can see my abs without flexing and get more muscular definition, maintain as much LBM as possible and from there add more LBM without loosing my abs and definition (i dont know if this is a feesable goal as so your input is appreciated

I lift 3-4 days a week for anywhere from 1hr to 1.75hrs depending if im training muscles once or twice a week
    I have been lifting weights for over 3 years now
    I have just started doing cardio twice a week in the AM 30-45 mins on off days
    Im a mechanic and my job involves heavy lifting sometimes and a shitload of walking as our complex is huge!
    Last edited by I_Want_Abs; 10-10-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Strong Bad is offline New Member
    Question:

How important is it to keep carbs and fats separate in my diet? I am trying to bulk without putting on too much fat. When I add up my calories, a lot of my meals have a pretty even balance of protein, carbs and fat.

For example, one of my meals is tuna salad on wheat bread plus cottage cheese mixed with protein powder. I understand that according to some of the diets I've seen, this would make for a good P+F meal if I took out the bread. Will this make a big difference?

Strong Bad is offline New Member
    ^To continue with that last question, another meal I really like is a steak with a sweet potato and a protein shake to wash it down. Will the combination of the sweet potato and the fat from the steak cause me to gain more fat than muscle in this meal?

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
    Question:

How important is it to keep carbs and fats separate in my diet? I am trying to bulk without putting on too much fat. When I add up my calories, a lot of my meals have a pretty even balance of protein, carbs and fat.

For example, one of my meals is tuna salad on wheat bread plus cottage cheese mixed with protein powder. I understand that according to some of the diets I've seen, this would make for a good P+F meal if I took out the bread. Will this make a big difference?
    The Pro/Fat concept got shattered pretty much. So as long as they are in Moderate amounts of each you'll be ok and from what you said seems like thats the case. also im pretty sure thats what Stepp or Nark is going to say. On a side note unless you really like bread IMO there a much better carb choices out there. Post up your whole diet with marco's if u want really good help.

^To continue with that last question, another meal I really like is a steak with a sweet potato and a protein shake to wash it down. Will the combination of the sweet potato and the fat from the steak cause me to gain more fat than muscle in this meal?
    Its fine as long as it is not super fatty steak which i doubt it is, like i said in moderation its fine. But the protein shake to wash it down could be to much protein IMO but. im sure when they have the time the Guru's will chime in, so thats just my 2 cents but u can see what they say.
    But the Key is Moderation, as long as it fits in your Marco you should be alright, just dont gorge.
    Last edited by Deltasaurus; 10-11-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Question:

how my diet works. plus i take my total cals needed for a day, divide by 7, and divide my cals accordingly. 60g pro/30-40g carbs/10g fat...that's a rough guess, and it totally depends on what kind of meat i am using. with chicken its lower on the fat and with steak or beef its higher.

a difference to what? just use fat free cottage cheese, problem solved...assuming there is even a problem.
    ^To continue with that last question, another meal I really like is a steak with a sweet potato and a protein shake to wash it down. Will the combination of the sweet potato and the fat from the steak cause me to gain more fat than muscle in this meal? i eat steak and sweet potato 3-4 times a day. potatoes for me in every meal except my first meal of everyday.

you are thinking that fats and carbs together means fat gain, which is obviously just not true and not how teh body works. if you plan a diet correctly you will be offering a correct amount of daily calories, and THAT is what will cause fat gain if incorrect; not carbs and fats. keep foods clean and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_Abs View Post
    Hey Nark & Nova this is a great thread.. Big props to you guys for taking the time out to help everyone with their diets!
    My diet has been pretty much all over the place for a long time and i thought i knew what i was doing but since reading over this entire thread and looking at different articles i have since changed my thoughts on alot of things.

I am going to see if i can get my BF tested today at my gym then i will post up my diet to see what you guys think. I have guestimated my maintenance cals to be around 2800/day but using the HB formular it puts maintenance just over 3000 and i know how much you hate guessing so its getting tested hahaha...

My previous diet i was trying to carb cycle without fully understanding how it worked and without having a base diet to work from, so as you can imagine i have been eating things all over the place with the only constant thing being my protein remaining the same through all meals, which i am pretty sure i was consuming to much of anyway.

For today or until i can get my BF tested i have worked out a diet based on 2800 cals and once i make the new one acording to my LBM i will follow a maintenance calorie diet for 4-6 weeks with calories evenly spread throughout the day to see how my body composition changes and then tweak it from there (what are your thoughts on this).

Once again thanks for all the info guys! Talk soon...

By the way here's soms stats:

Height: 180cm
    Weight: 87kg
    BF: unkown at the moment
    Goals: bring BF down until i can see my abs without flexing and get more muscular definition, maintain as much LBM as possible and from there add more LBM without loosing my abs and definition (i dont know if this is a feesable goal as so your input is appreciated

I lift 3-4 days a week for anywhere from 1hr to 1.75hrs depending if im training muscles once or twice a week
    I have been lifting weights for over 3 years now
    I have just started doing cardio twice a week in the AM 30-45 mins on off days
    Im a mechanic and my job involves heavy lifting sometimes and a shitload of walking as our complex is huge!
    your ideas seem logical to me. your cal numbers are about right for your height and weight, body fat does play a part in caloric needs so update us.

For now, post up your diet and we'll have a look.

I'm going to break my one candle rule and post up my current diet without macros.

I feel like many see me post up critiques for all these diets and they see me do this without knowing what my diet looks like. So here it is, I will add values later, but I am in between grad classes today and I feel like talking diet, not health information systems.

Pro/Carb/Fat...

Meal 1:

2 cups skim milk
    2 scoops whey protein
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese + splenda + cinnamon

76/40/2
    Totals: 482cals

my first meal of the day can really bog me down and make it hard for me to eat 2.5 hours later. SO i myself do resort to whey, and milk. However, I feel teh benefits of whey+casein are not only documented, but beneficial to me.

Meal 2; 2.5 hours later:

12oz eye round steak
    2 medium red potatoes

68/48/24
    Totals: 680cals

this meal sums up my diet. I aim for about 50-60g protein in each meal and about 40g carbs.

Meal 3; 2.5 hours later:

16oz pork chops
    one medium sweet potato

72/48/16
    Totals 624cals

This is the time of day where I either feel like a bunny in heat, or i get sluggish, I down as much meat as i can at this point and try to stay a little active so i can survive without a nap. Naps destroy my diet because i always end up sleeping for 3-4 hours...

Meal 4; 2.5-3 hours later; pre workout

12oz eye round steak
    2 medium red potatoes

68/48/24

I also will mix powerade zero + 5g creatine +10g BCAA's. I sip this before i hit the gym, sip a little during my workout (but i mainly drink water when i lift) and i finish the drink after i train.

Meal 5; PWO (probably 15 or so minutes after I finish lifting)

2 cups skim milk
    2 scoops whey
    1-2 cups of fat free cottage cheese + cinnamon + splenda

76/40/2
    Totals: 482cals (calculated with just one cup of cottage cheese)

Meal 6; 1.5 hours after PWO

12oz beef or steak
    medium sweet potato

68/48/24

This meal is sometimes hard to stomach, but it's all about recovery, so I lay down and take my time eating here.

Meal 7; before bed

12-16oz flat iron steak
    2 cups green beans
    1Tbsp natty peanut butter

74/24/28
    Totals 644cals

I enjoy food before bed, so sometimes I throw in an apple as well.

Daily Totals:
    Pro-502g
    Carb-296g
    Fat-120g
    Cals-4,272kcals

*This is the gist. Certain days require different foods. For example, on thursdays i'm on campus for 6 hours, so i just bake an enitre bag of chicken breasts with me and 5-6 red potatoes. But the amount of protein and carbs consumed stays relatively the same.

I brew hot tea in between every meal that I can. I have quite teh stock pile of teas and I enjoy them with my meals. They also help slow blood sugar spikes if that is something you need to worry about with your diet. I drink tea because of the anti-o's, the flavanoids, and the health benefits... plus i enjoy it.

If it is an off day, I will just eat 10-12oz meat and potatoes in place of my PWO meal, and other meals move to an appropriate time. The appropriate time is 2.5 hours in between meals. The longest I like to go without food is 3 hours in between meals. I aim for 8-9 hours of sleep a night, and if I wake up to use the restroom I will sometimes drink some milk.

Also, I eat about 4 cups of broccoli a day. In meals 2 and 3 i will eat about two florettes or a cup in each meal. I use it to help keep me regular. This isn't really an issue because i eat teh skin on my potatoes as well.

Supplements I consume:

Meal 1: multivitamin + 2 g vitamin c
    Meal 2: b-complex vitamin +400mcg chromium
    Meal 3: 200mg ALA
    Meal 4: n/a
    PWO: 3g vitamin c + 400iu vitamin E
    Meal 6: b-complex vitamin + 400mcg chromium
    Before Bed: 3g Vitamin C

Currently I am

5'9"
    212lbs
    Hovering around the 10%bf mark
    I am bulking, naturally, and I hope to bulk until March or April.
    My goal is to reach 225lbs and stay under 12-13%bf.

I cut down around 8%bf for the summer and I have been bulking for 4 weeks. I have gained about 8 pounds since I started bulking, and I hope to continue to gain weight at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week.

If you have any questions or comments let me know. Again, I will add macros and specific numbers later when I have time at home.
    Last edited by novastepp; 10-15-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: readability; new edit for macros and totals

^^^^^ Nark I needed that read. I am also 5'9 and my goal is your current status,
    I am just trying to get my BF down to where i want before i go on my long slow lean bulk,
    may i ask your training split???

Also you should throw us a Pic, i wanna see how Yoaked you are...LOL
    Last edited by Deltasaurus; 10-13-2008 at 01:03 PM.

^^^^^ Nark I needed that read. I am also 5'9 and my goal is your current status,
    I am just trying to get my BF down to where i want before i go on my long slow lean bulk,
    may i ask your training split???

Also you should throw us a Pic, i wanna see how Yoaked you are...LOL
    Yeah, I'll do what I can when i get home after training tonight.

sweet ill tune back in when i got home tonight

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Yeah, I'll do what I can when i get home after training tonight.
    no time huh, well at least you have your priorities straight Homework 1st Career is important , i will be waiting LOL

DesiBoy is offline Associate Member
    Hi, you guys a doing a great job here by helping us to fix our diets. I just want to post mine and to see if I can improve anything, so far it works good and so on.

Height: 185cm, 6ft 1inch
    Weight: 103kg, 223-225lbs
    BF: 11-12%
    WORKOUT EXPERIENCE: 10 years

Meal 1:
    1 Cup Oats(blended)300 10 54 5 mixed with a scoop of protein 120 24 3 1
    1 Cup Egg Whites 88 24 4 0
    1 slice bacon 90 5 0 7

Meal 2:
    8oz Chicken breast 250 50 0 1
    salad with 1 Tbs Olive Oil 120 0 0 14

POSTWORKOUT:
    1 cup Oats 300 10 54 5
    2 scoops Whey protein 240 48 6 2 plus 10g glutamine

Meal 3 "30Minutes after PWO meal"
    1 big can of tuna (10oz drained) 250 50 0 2.5
    salad

Meal 4at work)
    8oz Orange roughy or tilapia or sometimes just 8oz chicken instead 250 50 0 1
    salad

Meal 5at work)
    8oz Chicken breast 250 50 0 1
    1 Tbs Olive Oil 120 0 0 14

CARDIO WORKOUT 30mins
    immediately after cardio 1.5oz(50ml) liquid aminos 120 22 6 0

Meal 6
    10oz cottage cheese 240 45 15 0
    flax seed oil

TOTAL: CAL - 2738, PRO - 388, CARBS - 142, FATS - 53.5

On the legs day I skip the cardio at night, other than that I do it every time after work(I work 5p.m. till 11p.m). Just started this diet about 10 days ago. Was on a "no carb" diet for 4 weeks before came down to 225 from 250. Started taking some var(60mg/day) and got maybe even lower than what my bf% says.(have some veins going around my waist now) Will have to measure it again. Just want to check that everything seems OK with my diet. Let me know if I can improve anything. thanks again.
    Last edited by DesiBoy; 10-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.

^^^^ edit this post and add macro's, so they can help you

just fixed it, thanks bro

IMO you do not have enough carbs and your going over kill on protein also you should bump your fat slightly as well , your goal is to cut correct?

IMO you do not have enough carbs and your going over kill on protein also you should bump your fat slightly as well , your goal is to cut correct?
    thanks bro but anyway I want to hear what narc and novastepp will say about it. also want to know how many carbs to take if this is not enough for the diet.

Thread Information