Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,200 of 1631
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    hey nark, wanted to run someone by you.. see how you feel about it..

we all know that people seem to be effected by tren when it comes down to their stamina, especialy with cardio....

since im on tren as we speak, i'v done alotta research on the compound...

iv found, through this research, that tren supresses t3 production by your thyroids and its recommended that you should take 25mcg to combat this..

since t3 has a direct corelation with atp and increases apt production, wouldn't this be at least a majority of the cause for the decrease in stamina...

i ask because when i started to do tren about 4 weeks ago, i felt my stamina start to go down... a week ago i started t3 at 50mcg ed and the stamina issues has almost completely disappeared... i still have tren cough and im sure that doesn't help with stamina, but i was wondering how you felt about my theory...

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    In my personal opinion, that ratio would be 1:1
    The importance of the ratio of 0mega-6/0mega-3 essential fatty acids.

Simopoulos AP.
    The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009, USA. [email protected]

Several sources of information suggest that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of 0mega-6 to 0mega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of approximately 1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1-16.7/1. Western diets are deficient in 0mega-3 fatty acids, and have excessive amounts of 0mega-6 fatty acids compared with the diet on which human beings evolved and their genetic patterns were established.

Excessive amounts of 0mega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high 0mega-6/0mega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of 0mega-3 PUFA (a low 0mega-6/0mega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects. In the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, a ratio of 4/1 was associated with a 70% decrease in total mortality. A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of 4/1 with the same amount of 0mega-3 PUFA had no effect.

The lower 0mega-6/0mega-3 ratio in women with breast cancer was associated with decreased risk. A ratio of 2-3/1 suppressed inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and a ratio of 5/1 had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma, whereas a ratio of 10/1 had adverse consequences. These studies indicate that the optimal ratio may vary with the disease under consideration. This is consistent with the fact that chronic diseases are multigenic and multifactorial.

Therefore, it is quite possible that the therapeutic dose of 0mega-3 fatty acids will depend on the degree of severity of disease resulting from the genetic predisposition. A lower ratio of 0mega-6/0mega-3 fatty acids is more desirable in reducing the risk of many of the chronic diseases of high prevalence in Western societies, as well as in the developing countries, that are being exported to the rest of the world.
    ^^^^Thanks for the information.

There are better compounds for recovery.

I wouldn't waste the cash.

...no offense.

-CNS
    ...no offense? I work as a gnc salesman and that is one of the products we offer as of april. These arn't products I make or have any emotional attachment to, so no offense taken.

rssumme is offline Junior Member

My turn

see below. I cant delete this one.
    Last edited by rssumme; 04-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.

rssumme is offline Junior Member

My turn

OK Nark and Nova. I want to begin by stating that your generosity displayed in this thread is on par with some of the greatest philanthropists I've ever seen on bodybuilding diet message boards. For that, I send my utmost respect and appreciation. I hope to be able to give back in this way myself someday.

For now, I need some assistance on my diet and answers to a few questions that have crept through my mind as I meandered this incredibly long thread.

Me...

I am 33. lifting for about 5-6 years. 5 foot 11.5 inches. 210 pounds. and fat. how fat you ask?

Good question. I had my BF measured with calipers by 3 different trainers at 2 different gyms. One was 18%, one was 21%, and the other was 20%. So if we average the 3, it puts me right at 20%. 19.6 but lets round up...

Using the KM formula i get this.

210 * .20 = 42lbs of goo.
    210 - 42 goos = 168lbs of steel = 76kg of steel
    370 + (21.6 * 76)
    370 + 1641.6 = 2011 BMR

I work out 5 days per week. I subscribe to a bodypart per day and do lots of compound movements. I squat, deadlift, bench, shoulder press, wide grip pull ups, and train abs. I like to stay in the 6-8 rep range for the most part but switch it up alot. I do cardio 30-45 minutes per day 5 days a week either am empty stomach or PWO. Other than that, i work on large enterprise computer systems and sit at my desk doing so.

I feel fit. I have nice musculature under the water and bodyfat. I want to bring that out more. I dont care to get much bigger. I want to be leaner than I have ever been able to be.

I bet i have never been under 15% BF in my entire life. Nark said in this thread that once you get to a low bodyfat, its easy to stay there due to set point and easier to get back there if you bulk for a bit. I cant seem to get there and I recently figured out why with the help of a local endocrinologist.

I have secondary hypogonadism. My TT when first tested was a whopping 270. I take TRT dosage of test to keep me in the upper range of normal. I had never taken anything anabolic in my life prior to this treatment.

So, I am ready to be diligent with this diet and reach my BF goals. I only hope that diligence alone will be enough with my terrible genes.

Back to the formula.

2011 BMR * 1.375 = 2765
    2765 * .20 for deficit = 553
    2765 - 553 = 2212 on workout days

Did I hit this where you would have?

So my confusion is what macros should i shoot for? Above 18% BF I should consume carbs in a timed manner per Narks comments in this thread. After I get to <16% I can go with carbs throughout my 6 meals and do 40/40/20. Then when I stagnate, i will need to carb cycle or cal cycle.

Here is what I came up with for right now through the 16% barrier.

Questions.
    Do you believe that sweet potatoes are better for fat people like me than oats? I am open to eating a plain sweet potato if I have to but prefer raw oats much more. Let me know.

Is the test cyp I am taking making me sensitive to carbs? I feel and look bloated/puffy when I eat them. My doc says the bloat will go away as my body gets more used to the test. This may be out of your expertise but i figured id ask. i take 200mg per week right now. Estradiol is at 16.

It seems this thread began with your stance being to cut BF WITH carbs. Now I see you are maybe rethinking that philosophy. Is this true? If so, break down the thought process if you can.

I am open to any changes or suggestions. I will answer any questions you may have as well. I did my best to work my own formulas and put together my own diet and not burden you with the set up. I did all the math for the macros and only ask you to look it over and help me move forward.

Thanks again for all you do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free Diet advice by Narkissos &amp; Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101-diet.jpg  
    Last edited by rssumme; 04-30-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rssumme View Post
    OK Nark and Nova. I want to begin by stating that your generosity displayed in this thread is on par with some of the greatest philanthropists I've ever seen on bodybuilding diet message boards. For that, I send my utmost respect and appreciation. I hope to be able to give back in this way myself someday.

For now, I need some assistance on my diet and answers to a few questions that have crept through my mind as I meandered this incredibly long thread.

Me...

I am 33. lifting for about 5-6 years. 5 foot 11.5 inches. 210 pounds. and fat. how fat you ask?

Good question. I had my BF measured with calipers by 3 different trainers at 2 different gyms. One was 18%, one was 21%, and the other was 20%. So if we average the 3, it puts me right at 20%. 19.6 but lets round up...

Using the KM formula i get this.

210 * .20 = 42lbs of goo.
    210 - 42 goos = 168lbs of steel = 76kg of steel
    370 + (21.6 * 76)
    370 + 1641.6 = 2011 BMR

I work out 5 days per week. I subscribe to a bodypart per day and do lots of compound movements. I squat, deadlift, bench, shoulder press, wide grip pull ups, and train abs. I like to stay in the 6-8 rep range for the most part but switch it up alot. I do cardio 30-45 minutes per day 5 days a week either am empty stomach or PWO. Other than that, i work on large enterprise computer systems and sit at my desk doing so.

I feel fit. I have nice musculature under the water and bodyfat. I want to bring that out more. I dont care to get much bigger. I want to be leaner than I have ever been able to be.

I bet i have never been under 15% BF in my entire life. Nark said in this thread that once you get to a low bodyfat, its easy to stay there due to set point and easier to get back there if you bulk for a bit. I cant seem to get there and I recently figured out why with the help of a local endocrinologist.

I have secondary hypogonadism. My TT when first tested was a whopping 270. I take TRT dosage of test to keep me in the upper range of normal. I had never taken anything anabolic in my life prior to this treatment.

So, I am ready to be diligent with this diet and reach my BF goals. I only hope that diligence alone will be enough with my terrible genes.

Back to the formula.

2011 BMR * 1.375 = 2765
    2765 * .20 for deficit = 553
    2765 - 553 = 2212 on workout days

Did I hit this where you would have?

So my confusion is what macros should i shoot for? Above 18% BF I should consume carbs in a timed manner per Narks comments in this thread. After I get to <16% I can go with carbs throughout my 6 meals and do 40/40/20. Then when I stagnate, i will need to carb cycle or cal cycle.

Here is what I came up with for right now through the 16% barrier.

Questions.
    Do you believe that sweet potatoes are better for fat people like me than oats? I am open to eating a plain sweet potato if I have to but prefer raw oats much more. Let me know.

Is the test cyp I am taking making me sensitive to carbs? I feel and look bloated/puffy when I eat them. My doc says the bloat will go away as my body gets more used to the test. This may be out of your expertise but i figured id ask. i take 200mg per week right now. Estradiol is at 16.

It seems this thread began with your stance being to cut BF WITH carbs. Now I see you are maybe rethinking that philosophy. Is this true? If so, break down the thought process if you can.

I am open to any changes or suggestions. I will answer any questions you may have as well. I did my best to work my own formulas and put together my own diet and not burden you with the set up. I did all the math for the macros and only ask you to look it over and help me move forward.

Thanks again for all you do.
    Hey buddy.

I answered this question in your thread on my forum.

Thanks for the kind words.

-CNS

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    Nark would you mind posting your response here as well?

Blog Entries
    Polyphenols Found in Cinnamon Mimic Insulin

Insulin Imitators: Polyphenols Found in Cinnamon Mimic Job of Hormone
    By Rosalie Marion Bliss
    Agricultural Research Service Information Staff.

ARS scientists and colleagues have isolated and characterized several polyphenolic polymer compounds from cinnamon bark that could one day become natural ingredients in products aimed at lowering blood sugar levels.

The newly identified chemical structures were recently named in a patent application and described in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. ARS chemist Richard A. Anderson co-authored the study with colleagues at the Beltsville (Maryland) Human Nutrition Research Center and two universities.

Impaired sugar and fat metabolism is present in millions of people and may lead to type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. In test tube assays using fat cells, the polyphenolic polymers were found to increase sugar metabolism a whopping 20-fold.

Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas to regulate sugar metabolism. In people with type-2 diabetes, either the pancreas doesn't make enough insulin or the body is unable to use it correctly. Both conditions lead to unhealthy blood levels of sugar that would otherwise provide energy to muscles.

During a decade of efforts to find natural compounds that could help maintain normal blood sugar levels, the scientists tested several components of cinnamon. The newly characterized chemical structures are closely related to a previously reported chemical derivative of cinnamon, MHCP?methylhydroxychalcone polymer. The researchers also tested scores of other plant extracts, but none displayed insulin-enhancing activity near that of cinnamon.

"These new compounds increase insulin sensitivity by activating key enzymes that stimulate insulin receptors, while inhibiting the enzymes that deactivate them," says Anderson, who is with the Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory.

"Polyphenols are known for their antioxidant, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory functions, but they have not been commonly known to improve insulin function," he says. "The polyphenolic polymers in cinnamon bark have antioxidant effects, which may provide synergistic benefits to persons with various forms of diabetes."

Another recently published human research study from the team showed considerable improvements in glucose and fat metabolism in volunteers who followed a diet that included modest amounts of table cinnamon for 40 days.

Table cinnamon is made from cinnamon bark and contains both water-soluble and fat-soluble compounds. Fat-soluble compounds may accumulate in the body if ingested over a long period. At this time, there is no data on potential effects of long-term ingestion of table cinnamon. But the newly defined chemical structures noted above are isolated from water extracts of cinnamon and appear to be nontoxic in any quantity, according to Anderson.

This research is part of Human Nutrition, an ARS National Program (#107) described on the World Wide Web at www.nps.ars.usda.gov.
    Last edited by Narkissos; 06-14-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
    nark would you mind posting your response here as well?
    ygpm.

-cns

Polyphenols Found in Cinnamon Mimic Insulin
    « on: December 16, 2008,

Insulin Imitators: Polyphenols Found in Cinnamon Mimic Job of Hormone
    By Rosalie Marion Bliss
    Agricultural Research Service Information Staff.

ARS scientists and colleagues have isolated and characterized several polyphenolic polymer compounds from cinnamon bark that could one day become natural ingredients in products aimed at lowering blood sugar levels.

The newly identified chemical structures were recently named in a patent application and described in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. ARS chemist Richard A. Anderson co-authored the study with colleagues at the Beltsville (Maryland) Human Nutrition Research Center and two universities.

Impaired sugar and fat metabolism is present in millions of people and may lead to type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. In test tube assays using fat cells, the polyphenolic polymers were found to increase sugar metabolism a whopping 20-fold.

Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas to regulate sugar metabolism. In people with type-2 diabetes, either the pancreas doesn't make enough insulin or the body is unable to use it correctly. Both conditions lead to unhealthy blood levels of sugar that would otherwise provide energy to muscles.

During a decade of efforts to find natural compounds that could help maintain normal blood sugar levels, the scientists tested several components of cinnamon. The newly characterized chemical structures are closely related to a previously reported chemical derivative of cinnamon, MHCP?methylhydroxychalcone polymer. The researchers also tested scores of other plant extracts, but none displayed insulin-enhancing activity near that of cinnamon.

"These new compounds increase insulin sensitivity by activating key enzymes that stimulate insulin receptors, while inhibiting the enzymes that deactivate them," says Anderson, who is with the Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory.

"Polyphenols are known for their antioxidant, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory functions, but they have not been commonly known to improve insulin function," he says. "The polyphenolic polymers in cinnamon bark have antioxidant effects, which may provide synergistic benefits to persons with various forms of diabetes."

Another recently published human research study from the team showed considerable improvements in glucose and fat metabolism in volunteers who followed a diet that included modest amounts of table cinnamon for 40 days.

Table cinnamon is made from cinnamon bark and contains both water-soluble and fat-soluble compounds. Fat-soluble compounds may accumulate in the body if ingested over a long period. At this time, there is no data on potential effects of long-term ingestion of table cinnamon. But the newly defined chemical structures noted above are isolated from water extracts of cinnamon and appear to be nontoxic in any quantity, according to Anderson.

This research is part of Human Nutrition, an ARS National Program (#107) described on the World Wide Web at www.nps.ars.usda.gov.

sounds alot like what chromium picolinate is supposed to do...except potentially safer

Blog Entries
    sounds alot like what chromium picolinate is supposed to do...except potentially safer
    Similar and dissimilar.

btw... re: Chromium picolinate.

Switch to Chromium polynicotinate.

Toxicity = nil.

After over a decade of high-dose Chromium picolinate use... I've switched to polynicotinate (brand name "ChromeMate") exclusively.

-C

kilo6903123 is offline New Member

tryin to gain muscle and lose fat

I have two good cuttin agents and one to make you gain lean hard muscle but i am 225 pounds and i am 5'9 i used to workout alot but have been out of it a while i am looking to lose fat and gain muscle any good diet plans to follow like what to eat and how many meals a day . I just need someone to give advice on how to diet never had to when i played 2 sports in college

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo6***123 View Post
    I have two good cuttin agents and one to make you gain lean hard muscle but i am 225 pounds and i am 5'9 i used to workout alot but have been out of it a while i am looking to lose fat and gain muscle any good diet plans to follow like what to eat and how many meals a day . I just need someone to give advice on how to diet never had to when i played 2 sports in college

UNoffical "How to Cut" thread and sample diet...
    So you wanna learn how to Diet?
    HERE IS...gain lean muscle mass kind of diet...
    UNoffical "How to Bulk" thread and sample diet...
    Hardgainer? Can't gain weight? READ THIS!!!

-CNS

ckyass is offline Associate Member
    Yo Nark and Nova......the other night my girl came over with this cayenne pepper all natural hot sauce and i used it on my turkey burgers......this shit was amazing. Ingredients are simply cayenne peppers, onion powder, and salt. Sodium is 200mg's a tbs....i stay away from high sodium but a tablespoon mixed with my ground turkey seemed to add a nice kick to it. Was just wondering your opinion on this spice.....heres some interesting facts i found on them.

"Cayenne peppers will increase your blood flow almost instantly, bringing in new oxygen to your body's vital organs, muscles, and tissues, and, at the same time, carrying away toxic wastes from these same areas in its return flow."

I thought this statement was impressive.......especially pertaining to a bodybuilding lifestyle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyass View Post
    Yo Nark and Nova......the other night my girl came over with this cayenne pepper all natural hot sauce and i used it on my turkey burgers......this shit was amazing. Ingredients are simply cayenne peppers, onion powder, and salt. Sodium is 200mg's a tbs....i stay away from high sodium but a tablespoon mixed with my ground turkey seemed to add a nice kick to it. Was just wondering your opinion on this spice.....heres some interesting facts i found on them.

"Cayenne peppers will increase your blood flow almost instantly, bringing in new oxygen to your body's vital organs, muscles, and tissues, and, at the same time, carrying away toxic wastes from these same areas in its return flow."

I thought this statement was impressive.......especially pertaining to a bodybuilding lifestyle.
    Ah... You've uncovered yet another secret.

Cayenne is one of my mainstays.

Not because of the other touted effects... but rather because it may act as a GDA.

For this reason, I keep it and other herbs/spices in my diet year round.

I cook with cayenne pepper just about daily.

Let me hit you with some reading material.

Blog Entries
    Ah... You've uncovered yet another secret.

Cayenne is one of my mainstays.

Not because of the other touted effects... but rather because it may act as a GDA.

For this reason, I keep it and other herbs/spices in my diet year round.

I cook with cayenne pepper just about daily.

Let me hit you with some reading material.

Effects of chili consumption on postprandial glucose, insulin, and energy metabolism1,2,3

Kiran DK Ahuja, Iain K Robertson, Dominic P Geraghty and Madeleine J Ball 1 From the School of Human Life Sciences, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Australia

Background: Animal and some human studies have indicated that the consumption of chili-containing meals increases energy expenditure and fat oxidation, which may help to reduce obesity and related disorders. Because habitual diets affect the activity and responsiveness of receptors involved in regulating and transporting nutrients, the effects of regular consumption of chili on metabolic responses to meals require investigation.

Objective: The objective was to investigate the metabolic effects of a chili-containing meal after the consumption of a bland diet and a chili-blend (30 g/d; 55% cayenne chili) supplemented diet.

Design: Thirty-six subjects with a mean (±SD) age of 46 ± 12 y and a body mass index (in kg/m2) of 26.3 ± 4.6 participated in a randomized, crossover, intervention study with 2 dietary periods (chili and bland) of 4 wk each. The postprandial effects of a bland meal after a bland diet (BAB), a chili meal after a bland diet (CAB), and a chili meal after a chili-containing diet (CAC) were evaluated. Serum insulin , C-peptide, and glucose concentrations and energy expenditure (EE) were measured at fasting and up to 120 min postprandially.

Results: Significant heterogeneity was observed between the meals for the maximum increase in insulin and the incremental area under the curve (iAUC) for insulin (P = 0.0002); the highest concentrations were with the BAB meal and the lowest with the CAC meal. When separated at the median BMI (26.3), the subjects with a BMI 26.3 also showed heterogeneity in C-peptide, iAUC C-peptide, and net AUC EE (P < 0.02 for all); the highest values occurred after the BAB meal and the lowest after the CAC meal. Conversely, the C-peptide/insulin quotient (an indicator of hepatic insulin clearance) was highest after the CAC meal (P = 0.002).

Conclusion: Regular consumption of chili may attenuate postprandial hyperinsulinemia.

very good read.....i figured this stuff had positive effects rather then just clearing out my sinuses hahah.

J-Roc is offline Junior Member
    Sweet! Just finished my ground turkey and rice meal and was thinking it's about time I do something about how bland it is... :-)

Blog Entries
    ^^

It's truly great stuff.

Spices in general are!

yeah i use alot of ms.dash salt free spices with everything i cook.....does the job.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i wish i could print this entire thread out

without using a whole pack of printer paper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    i wish i could print this entire thread out

without using a whole pack of printer paper
    Hell, if I could do that... I'd sell it as an e-book

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Hell, if I could do that... I'd sell it as an e-book
    huh? e-books don't contain paper, so you could convert it to a pdf via adobe, copyright it and sell it i'm sure

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    huh? e-books don't contain paper, so you could convert it to a pdf via adobe, copyright it and sell it i'm sure
    Sounds like a plan.

When should I start taking orders?

Blog Entries
    Green tea inhibits fatty acid synthase

Epigallocatechin-3-gallate is a potent natural inhibitor of fatty acid synthase in intact cells and selectively induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cells.
    Brusselmans K, De Schrijver E, Heyns W, Verhoeven G, Swinnen JV.

Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Department of Developmental Biology, Gasthuisberg, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium.

Chemical inhibitors of fatty acid synthase (FAS) inhibit growth and induce apoptosis in several cancer cell lines in vitro and in tumor xenografts in vivo. Recently the green tea component epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) was shown to act as a natural inhibitor of FAS in chicken liver extracts. Here we investigated whether EGCG inhibits FAS activity in cultured prostate cancer cells and how this inhibition affects endogenous lipid synthesis, cell proliferation and cell viability. The high levels of FAS activity in LNCaP cells were dose-dependently inhibited by EGCG and this inhibition was paralleled by decreased endogenous lipid synthesis, inhibition of cell growth and induction of apoptosis.

In contrast, epicatechin (EC), another closely related green tea polyphenolic compound, which does not inhibit FAS, had no effect on LNCaP cell growth or viability. Treatment of nonmalignant cells with low levels of FAS activity (fibroblasts) with EGCG led to a decrease in growth rate but not to induction of apoptosis. These data indicate that EGCG inhibits FAS activity as efficiently as presently known synthetic inhibitors and selectively causes apoptosis in LNCaP cells but not in nontumoral fibroblasts. These findings establish EGCG as a potent natural inhibitor of FAS in intact cells and strengthen the molecular basis for the use of EGCG as a chemopreventive and therapeutic antineoplastic agent.
    Last edited by Narkissos; 06-14-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Salacia Oblonga... A super-effective (herbal) glucose disposal agent

Effects of a medical food containing an herbal alpha-glucosidase inhibitor on postprandial glycemia and insulinemia in healthy adults.

Heacock PM, Hertzler SR, Williams JA, Wolf BW.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the effect of different doses of Salacia oblonga extract, an herbal alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, on postprandial glycemic, insulinemic, and breath hydrogen responses in healthy adults.

DESIGN: Double-masked, randomized crossover design.

INTERVENTION: Subjects, after fasting for 12 hours, consumed four test meals consisting of 480 mL of study beverage (14 g fat, 82 g carbohydrate, and 20 g protein) with 0, 500, 700, or 1,000 mg of S oblonga extract on four separate occasions. Capillary finger-prick plasma glucose and venous serum insulin concentrations were measured at baseline and for 2 hours postprandially. Breath hydrogen excretion was measured at baseline and hourly for 8 hours postprandially.

SUBJECTS/SETTING: Thirty-nine healthy, nondiabetic adults (body mass index=23.7+/-0.4, age=25.7+/-0.9 years.

STATISTICAL ANALYSES PERFORMED: Repeated-measures analysis of variance was applied to the raw data or data that had been transformed (log, rank) when necessary due to nonnormality. The Tukey-Kramer post hoc test was used for pairwise comparisons.

RESULTS: Compared with the control, the 1,000-mg S oblonga extract dose reduced the plasma glucose and serum insulin incremental areas under the curve (0 to 120 minutes postprandial) by 23% ( P =.32) and 29% ( P =.01), respectively. The other doses of S oblonga extract did not impact glycemia or insulinemia. Breath hydrogen excretion increased linearly as the dose of S oblonga extract was advanced.

CONCLUSIONS: The presence of S oblonga extract tended to lower postprandial glycemia and significantly reduced the postprandial insulin response. The increase in breath hydrogen excretion suggests a mechanism similar to prescription alpha-glucosidase inhibitors. Future studies of S oblonga extract in patients with diabetes are needed.
    Last edited by Narkissos; 06-14-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    VITAMIN E INCREASES GLUCOSE UPTAKE AND INSULIN SENSITIVITY

Oxidative stress-induced insulin resistance in skeletal muscle cells is ameliorated by gamma-tocopherol treatment.

Singh I, Carey AL, Watson N, Febbraio MA, Hawley JA. Eur J Nutr. 2008 Sep 18.

Vitamin E is well known as a major dietary antioxidant. Both aerobic and resistance training result in increased oxidative stress. Therefore vitamin E represents a potential valuable supplement to mitigate the stress response to exercise. Almost all supplemental forms of vitamin E (also referred to as tocopherols) are the alpha form, although emerging research indicates that gamma tocohoperol may be the preferred form because in addition to fighting free radicals, it also has potent anti-inflammatory actions. However the effects of gamma tocopherol may go beyond an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory according to results published by Australian researchers. They showed that muscle cells made insulin resistant had greater glucose uptake and improvements in insulin signaling when they were exposed to gamma tocopherol.

The result show gamma tocopherol is involved in more efficient disposal of glucose which is important for athletes to speed glycogen synthesis as well as non-athletes to help better manage blood sugar and insulin levels.
    Last edited by Narkissos; 06-14-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    ^^What is the relevance of these studies?

Insulin sensitivity of course.

On this thread, we're constantly addressing the maintenance of such.

There're a number of supps which I use for just that... and a few which I otherwise believe have promise. So i'll be posting studies (et. al.) as I go along.

-CNS

hey nark u missed me man.. could u answer my question on the top of this page??

^^What is the relevance of these studies?

Insulin sensitivity of course.

On this thread, we're constantly addressing the maintenance of such.

There're a number of supps which I use for just that... and a few which I otherwise believe have promise. So i'll be posting studies (et. al.) as I go along.

-CNS
    Nark im going to assume you do or you wouldnt have posted it, but in relation to vitamin E, and glucose uptake. would supplementing vitamin E in a person with a balanced diet and who was not deficient still benefit that person? if vitamin E is not the limiting factor in the rate of glucose uptake i dont see it be beneficial for that purpose. does that make sense?

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned

Pre show loading?

Which do you prefer Nark.I was a fat kid growing up so I'm pretty sensitive to carbs and I'm 3-4 weeks out from my contest prep simulation goal date16 weeks total.I thought the typical strategy was to get alot of fats and sugars and quick cookie carbs in a couple hrs before the stage but now I'm hearing about 2-3 day carb and water loading protocol's.Here's a slide of my progress.In the final pics by my ride I havent had more then 50g carbs each day for 3 days and that was my longest break in the training.I'm pretty flat,Plus in 1 back pose you'll notice that the ice and heat for 3 days took the inflamation completly out of my right lat that's why it looks undeveloped.10 week contest prep simulation revised with extras.

paddy155 is offline Member
    Hi Nark. I was would like you to give me some answers to a few questions that I have. I don't know if you remember but I asked for your advice last year concerning a bulking diet. My advice from you was that my bodyfat was to high and that I should get it down to -10% before I even start to bulk. I have never forgotten that advice. Since then I have unfortunatily stopped trainning for a number of reasons (none health related) and now I feel like the time is right to get back into the swing of things. I will not be doing this alone. I will be trying to pass on your advice to my partner aswell. A few of the questions I have is as follows-

1. What is the correct formula to use to work out maintenance calories for someone with high bodyfat who wants cut ?

2. If I know my maintenance calories,by how much should I drop them by to begin with ?

3. Is the aim of dieting to drop maintenance calories and maintain this until bodyfat begins to decrease and then when you stop losing bodyfat drop calories again until weight drops and then continue this process until target is met ?

4. What hould the heart rate of a 23 year old female and a 27 y/o male be when doing cardio in order to burn fat but minimize muscle loss ?

5. How long should cardio last for the two above daily ?

Thanks for your time. Within the next couple of days I should be able to get our height,weight and bodyfat checked for us to work out our maintenance calories and then we can begin to work on our diet . Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    hey nark, wanted to run someone by you.. see how you feel about it..
    Cool.

we all know that people seem to be effected by tren when it comes down to their stamina, especialy with cardio....
    Tren 's never affected my stamina personally.

since im on tren as we speak, i'v done alotta research on the compound...

iv found, through this research, that tren supresses t3 production by your thyroids and its recommended that you should take 25mcg to combat this..

since t3 has a direct corelation with atp and increases apt production, wouldn't this be at least a majority of the cause for the decrease in stamina...
    It's impossible to draw cause and association like this.

Tren doesn't affect one system only... it affects a number of them... including neurotransmitters.

The latter consideration may affect stamina.

i ask because when i started to do tren about 4 weeks ago, i felt my stamina start to go down... a week ago i started t3 at 50mcg ed and the stamina issues has almost completely disappeared...
    Maybe related... maybe unrelated.

Maybe related, but in a manner not limited to your description.

Who knows?

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Nark im going to assume you do or you wouldnt have posted it, but in relation to vitamin E, and glucose uptake. would supplementing vitamin E in a person with a balanced diet and who was not deficient still benefit that person? if vitamin E is not the limiting factor in the rate of glucose uptake i dont see it be beneficial for that purpose. does that make sense?
    It isn't a matter of deficiency... but rather one of efficiency.

Muscles become resistant to insulin ... It is a known fact.

Causes vary.

Age-related declines may be correlated.

Chronic over-eating may be correlated.

Athletes act like they are immune to such, but gym warriors, like most of society, are at risk for insulin resistance... to varying degrees.

Why?

Chronic over-eating... low fiber intake.

Whatever the cause, it manifests.

GDAs mitigate this to some degree.

Vitamin E appears to mitigate insulin resistance related to oxidative stress.

So, again... it isn't a matter of deficiency... but, rather, one of efficiency.

-CNS

It isn't a matter of deficiency... but rather one of efficiency.

Muscles become resistant to insulin ... It is a known fact.

Causes vary.

Age-related declines may be correlated.

Chronic over-eating may be correlated.

Athletes act like they are immune to such, but gym warriors, like most of society, are at risk for insulin resistance... to varying degrees.

Why?

Chronic over-eating... low fiber intake.

Whatever the cause, it manifests.

GDAs mitigate this to some degree.

Vitamin E appears to mitigate insulin resistance related to oxidative stress.

So, again... it isn't a matter of deficiency... but, rather, one of efficiency.

-CNS

couple more quick questions for you. i need to write them down as they come. i mean to ask you and then i forget them.

-digestive enzymes. do you recommend them? if so which ones in paticular

-PH balance. gimmick? (relating to alkaline and acidic foods)

-heavy metals. aside from chelation therapy, anything you can recommend to reduce build up? i eat at least 2 cans of albacore a day. should i be concerned with this?

thanks for taking time out to answer my questions. your knowledge is unrivaled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155 View Post
    Hi Nark. I was would like you to give me some answers to a few questions that I have. I don't know if you remember but I asked for your advice last year concerning a bulking diet. My advice from you was that my bodyfat was to high and that I should get it down to -10% before I even start to bulk. I have never forgotten that advice. Since then I have unfortunatily stopped trainning for a number of reasons (none health related) and now I feel like the time is right to get back into the swing of things. I will not be doing this alone. I will be trying to pass on your advice to my partner aswell. A few of the questions I have is as follows
    Hey buddy.

Sorry to hear about your lay-off.

1. What is the correct formula to use to work out maintenance calories for someone with high bodyfat who wants cut ?
    Katch-McArdle formula (BMR based on lean body weight)

...assuming you've had your body composition tested and you know your lean body mass.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

TDEE = BMR multiplied BMR by the activity multiplier:

2. If I know my maintenance calories,by how much should I drop them by to begin with ?
    Ingest calories @ your BMR, as opposed to your TDEE.

i.e.

If your LBM is 200 lbs...then your BMR = 2333 kcals.

If your activity = moderate, then your TDEE = 3600 kcals

Personally, I'd suggest eating @ your BMR for fat-loss... using your TDEE as your re-feed kcal intake.

3. Is the aim of dieting to drop maintenance calories and maintain this until bodyfat begins to decrease and then when you stop losing bodyfat drop calories again until weight drops and then continue this process until target is met ?
    No.

Constantly going lower and lower is a self-limiting approach.

Eventually you'll reach a point where you can go no longer... Eventually your metabolism will adapt.

Eventually your 'low' will elicit no fat-loss.

4. What hould the heart rate of a 23 year old female and a 27 y/o male be when doing cardio in order to burn fat but minimize muscle loss ?
    Ignore your heart rate and have her go by perceived exertion.

Numbers really do not tell the whole story.

Furthermore, lose the fixation on 'muscle-loss'.

It really isn't easy to piss muscle away during cardio.

The boards are full of misinformation where this and many other issues are concerned.

5. How long should cardio last for the two above daily ?
    I really couldn't say.

I have no idea how fit said individuals are... how overweight they are (if they are) overweight.

You didn't say if you were doing PWO-cardio, fasted-state cardio, or cardio during the day.

Add details man!

Thanks for your time. Within the next couple of days I should be able to get our height,weight and bodyfat checked for us to work out our maintenance calories and then we can begin to work on our diet . Thanks again.
    np mate.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    couple more quick questions for you. i need to write them down as they come. i mean to ask you and then i forget them.

-digestive enzymes. do you recommend them? if so which ones in paticular
    Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

The bodybuilding style of eating isn't easy on the body...so yes, I suggest digestive enzymes.

A full-spectrum formula couldn't hurt.

Personally, I have issues with protein, so I use bromelaine more or less year-round.

-PH balance. gimmick? (relating to alkaline and acidic foods)
    John Beradi?

Honestly I'm a bit torn. It has merit. At the very least the style of eating makes people more conscious of their food combinations.

Personally I'm aware of the acid/alkaline environment when putting together my meals... but I've consciously calculated the PRAL score from meal to meal.

There's a discussion running on my forum about just this topic actually.

-heavy metals. aside from chelation therapy, anything you can recommend to reduce build up?
    Bentonite clay + psyllium husk detox.

i eat at least 2 cans of albacore a day. should i be concerned with this?
    Personally.. I don't think so.

I consume a LOT more than you do...and have for years.

thanks for taking time out to answer my questions. your knowledge is unrivaled.
    No problem mate.

I've got to apologize for the delayed response.

My clients take precedence...so I check in when I get an email prompt about this thread.

It's 3:04 a.m. here.. So I think I'm heading to bed now.

Feel free to post up your questions.

I WILL get the email prompt(s).

-CNS

Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

The bodybuilding style of eating isn't easy on the body...so yes, I suggest digestive enzymes.

A full-spectrum formula couldn't hurt.

Personally, I have issues with protein, so I use bromelaine more or less year-round.
    looks like these will be a regular addition to my meals...

John Beradi?

Honestly I'm a bit torn. It has merit. At the very least the style of eating makes people more conscious of their food combinations.

Personally I'm aware of the acid/alkaline environment when putting together my meals... but I've consciously calculated the PRAL score from meal to meal.

There's a discussion running on my forum about just this topic actually.
    something called kangen water is gaining popularity recently. youtube has some videos on it. this water is run through ionizers and the alkaline water is drank and is supposed to have a plethora of benefits and the acidic water is used for everything from treating psoriasis to sterilizing hospitals over in japan.

personally i dont feel the bodies ph fluctuates to any considerable degree. we have a great deal of mechanisms for regulating ph as well as buffers contained in blood. i havnt looked into this extensively yet just wondering your initial thoughts.

ill check out the thread.

Bentonite clay + psyllium husk detox.

Personally.. I don't think so.

I consume a LOT more than you do...and have for years.
    Dr. Schulze?

My impression was that Bentonite was a scam. that the only thing being "cleansed" from the colon was the bentonite being ingested. and that build up does not occur inside the colon. could you elaborate a little further as to how it aids? as this is a common debate i have with friends.

No problem mate.

I've got to apologize for the delayed response.

My clients take precedence
    ...so I check in when I get an email prompt about this thread.

It's 3:04 a.m. here.. So I think I'm heading to bed now.

Feel free to post up your questions.

I WILL get the email prompt(s).

-CNS
    as they should. once again thanks for taking time out to answer.

Blog Entries
    looks like these will be a regular addition to my meals...
    As they well should be.

something called kangen water is gaining popularity recently. youtube has some videos on it. this water is run through ionizers and the alkaline water is drank and is supposed to have a plethora of benefits and the acidic water is used for everything from treating psoriasis to sterilizing hospitals over in japan.
    Personally I think this is fad... Only time will tell.

personally i dont feel the bodies ph fluctuates to any considerable degree. we have a great deal of mechanisms for regulating ph as well as buffers contained in blood. i havnt looked into this extensively yet just wondering your initial thoughts.
    We do have a number mechanisms for a lot of actions... However, the way we were designed (or how we evolved) bears no relevance in today's world.

We weren't meant to spend 8+ hours sitting on our butts at a desk... followed by 4+ hours laying on our backs watching a glowing box... piling in a week's worth of calories each night.

However, for many, this is our existence.

Numerous systems exist... but, due to our lifestyles and environment, they need assistance.

e.g. the simple act of elimination.

Most simply don't eat enough fiber... ergo, elimination needs to be bolstered with fiber, probiotics... etc.

ill check out the thread.
    Cool

My impression was that Bentonite was a scam. that the only thing being "cleansed" from the colon was the bentonite being ingested. and that build up does not occur inside the colon. could you elaborate a little further as to how it aids? as this is a common debate i have with friends.
    IMO, bentonite falls in the same vein as charcoal.

It absorbs as it goes along.

IMO... psyllium scrapes, while bentonite acts as a supplementary carrier... thus facilitating absolute elimination.

This is just an opinion however.

as they should. once again thanks for taking time out to answer.
    Never a problem buddy.

-CNS

Cool.

Tren 's never affected my stamina personally.

It's impossible to draw cause and association like this.

Tren doesn't affect one system only... it affects a number of them... including neurotransmitters.

The latter consideration may affect stamina.

Maybe related... maybe unrelated.

Maybe related, but in a manner not limited to your description.

Who knows?

-CNS
    thx alot nark!

Thread Information