Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,440 of 1631
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

Ca$tro is offline Member
    Bro's Nark and Nolva, I have been waiting in anticipation for your experienced advice on my diet, i understand it needs work but i really do need your help. I was hoping to get the diet sorted by the weekend and make a start on it on Monday. I totally understand your busy guys with work, training etc and i do apologise if i am come across as pushy in any way. My diet is so bad that my weight is fluctuating randomly at the moment. Anyways, i will keep my eyes peeled for your replies and advice and if i do not get back to you right away it is only because i am at work.

Thanks again for your superior advice lads.
    Ca$tro

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Ok after spending the past couple weeks reading this entire thread while I do my cardio in the morning, I will post my current diet and see what the experts think. I know what you are going to say in some instances but would like to hear it anyway.

Basic backround, 5'11 195lb 15% BF (166.75LBM) been working out for a while, but the past year I have really stepped it up. Currently cutting and am about 6 weeks in, taken my stomach from 36 to 32 3/4 in that time. Still would like to drop down to about 185-190 and get to around 10-12% BF and the waist about 30 in. Feel like I am on the right track, and I have learned a TON about diet from reading this thread TYVM.

My workouts are heavy volume (25-30 sets large bodyparts, 8-10 for small ones ), minimal rest between sets (1 set a minute), low rep (6-8) and about 3-4 minute break in between different exercises. Usually keep it to around 45-50 minutes per session.

Before I get into this, when I say "shake" with every meal that is basically 1.25 scoops of whey, 2.5 ounces of skim milk per 10oz and the rest water. I went from a full gallon mixed in with the whey, down to 1/2 a gallon, down to 1/3 of a gallon..... Now I take 12 scoops, mix it with 32 ounces of skim and the the rest water to make up a gallon. That is all I drink. The macros come out to 150cal/24pro/7carb/2.3fat/0.7fib for a 10oz glass.

I used to mix the whey with straight milk (yeah I know) but have been weening myself off of that to get rid of the processed sugar intake. The only reason I was doing it that way before was to get more protein, but with my diet now and my goals that is not necessary anymore.

My activity level I THOUGHT would be in one of the more active categories, but after reading this thread realized that it was in the "lightly active" category instead. I weight train 2 days on, 1 day off. Cardio every morning on empty has averaged about 50 minutes a day, but in the last 2 weeks I have stepped it up even more, doing cardio twice a day on off days and adding in PWO cardio for 20-30 minutes after weights.

I have figured that my maintenance calories is 2435 uing my LBM and not total weight,and I come in at about 2484 with what I am doing right now. Goals at this point is mainly fat loss, I feel I have enough muscle for my frame and just
    want to concentrate on knocking of that fat. I have had no problems retaining muscle mass while I have been cutting, as I am currently on a Epistane PH cycle(60mg a day for the next 3 weeks, been on it for 2 weeks so far). But even before that I had no issues keeping my strength and LBM while doing a lot of cardio.

Only supplements right now are multi and about 12 gram of Omega 3-6-9.(they add about 125 calories to the mix)

I wake up at all different times but the general meal spacing is 1.5-2 hrs after a shake only meal, and 3 hour spread in between the other meals.

So with that said here is how it shakes out....

Meal 1 - 10oz shake/banana - 255cal/25.3pro/34carb/2.7fat/3.8fib

Meal 2 - 10oz shake/turkey/cheese sandwich - 500cal/53pro/38carb/14.8fat/2.7fib

Meal 3 - 10oz shake/4 oz chicken breast/3oz sweet potatoe/1 serv green veg -383.9cal/53.2pro/35carb/3.3fat/6.8fib

Workout

Meal 4 - 10oz shake/banana - 255cal/25.3pro/34carb/2.7fat/3.8fib

Meal 5 - 8oz shake/6oz top round/3oz sweet potatoe/1 serv green veg - 581.9cal/83.8pro/33.5carb/10.5fat/6.6fib

Meal 6 - 10oz shake/4 oz chicken breast/3oz sweet potatoe/1 serv green veg -383.9cal/53.2pro/35carb/3.3fat/6.8fib

TOTAL - 2359.7cal/293.8pro/209.5carb/37.3fat/30.5fib

10 Omega 3-6-9 - 125cal/2.5pro/0carb/12.5fat/0fib (spread out evenly over the 6 meals)

GRAND TOTAL - 2484cal/296.3pro/209.5carb/49.8fat/30.5fib

Split - 555.6gram total - 53.3%% pro - 37.7%carb - 9.0%fat

Whey Protein/Food protein split - 139.2g from whey, 157.1g from food. I just wanted to point that out to put it in perspective that while you might see "shake" in every meal I actually get plenty of my protein from food. One other small note, I have a thing for grapes and if I ever want a snack that is what I grab. Only have them around about 50% of the time, I usually buy some and they are gone in a few days and I only go to the store once a week.

Recently I have made some adjustments taking out some fat(meal 2 used to have 8 more grams), and not eating whole eggs (with cheese, bacon and sausage mixed in!) like I used to. Again I was obsessed with getting as much protein as I could and the fat was pretty high as a result. Also added the sweet potatoe in recently, and upped the green vegetable count as much as I could. I think my carb division by meal is pretty flawless, and my protein would be similar but I can't help that steak has a ridiculous amount of protein in it for that 5th meal. That is also the follow up meal to the PWO shake so I am hoping all that protein is being put to good use a short time after a workout.

Now a few notes.....

-I know you are going to say too many shakes, but that is literally the only viable thing I can drink with a meal. They are healthy, have good macros,
    have a tiny bit of processed sugar from the milk but it is not much at all. There is nothing else outside of water I could see myself drinking, and with
    a meal I just can't do water alone.

-Not a lot of variety either. I know, I am a pretty simple person, did the best I could with a plan I could stick too. I am also extremely picky, but I tried to incorporate the healthiest possible stuff I could. I would throw up at the sight of what a lot of people manage to eat.

-You don't like the bread, there are better sources of carbs. Again well aware of that, but honestly that sandwich is the one meal I look forward to everyday!
    I used to eat them as a kid growing up and I HAVE to have one every day, and it takes 30 seconds to prepare. I can also take it with me if need be and do not need a microwave or anything else to have a pretty healthy meal on the spot.

-Cheese! No-no. I have very little fat in this diet as it is, that is literally the only meal where I have anything substantial in that category.

I would like to get my good fats up somehow, and the only thing I can think of that I could do it with is peanut butter, natural of course. Not into nuts or any of that other stuff that contains good fats.

So have at it, any suggestions/critiques would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bigslick7878; 09-29-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    A poster asks:
    hey guys i started blending my chicken breast (boiled) with suger free juice ... nil sodium nothing ...

is that fine ..
    Yep that's definitely fine.

A few of the bodybuilders that I've worked with do this... especially the heavier guys (who just can't be bothered sitting down to chew 3 cans of tuna per meal).

Make sure to have digestive enzymes prior to each meal though. The process of mastication initiates digestion.

As you'll be just chugging your meals, you'll lose out on part of the process.

Me personally? I love liquid meals. And, I pound bromelain year-round.

Outside of facilitating the digestive process, it proteolytic enzymes also decrease systemic inflammation... so overall, they're a great add IMO... AND they're cheap.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

cccbozkurt is offline New Member
    Hey Nark you are the priceless guy who shares most valuable experience with us.

I know this is my very first message but I should say I was reading and digesting this thread for almost 3 weeks as a diet lecture.

I was looking mostly AAS profiles, workout, cycle forums; never interested about diet section and when I click on your thread then couldn' get away from it honestly, read all the posts you and Nova wrote, the links you recommended us to read and all the replied messages by you as an answer.

Now I see that almost everything depends on what you consume, internalized my life style as a proverb "you are what you eat"...

Stopped consuming GI foods, seperated my kcal intake (actually I was not aware about what I was actually consuming) to 7 meals, bought a precision balance and started counting what I eat for 3 weeks.

I dont know if you still replying diet schedule questions. If you still do I want to write it down here with my other informations.

Thanks man, I really do appreciate what you are doing and your expertness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cccbozkurt View Post
    Hey Nark you are the priceless guy who shares most valuable experience with us.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I know this is my very first message but I should say I was reading and digesting this thread for almost 3 weeks as a diet lecture.
    I appreciate you taking the time to read the thread. I would argue that answers to most of your diet questions can be found somewhere on this thread.

I was looking mostly AAS profiles, workout, cycle forums; never interested about diet section and when I click on your thread then couldn' get away from it honestly, read all the posts you and Nova wrote, the links you recommended us to read and all the replied messages by you as an answer.
    Nicely done.

Now I see that almost everything depends on what you consume, internalized my life style as a proverb "you are what you eat"...

Stopped consuming GI foods, seperated my kcal intake (actually I was not aware about what I was actually consuming) to 7 meals, bought a precision balance and started counting what I eat for 3 weeks.
    Good job mate.

I dont know if you still replying diet schedule questions. If you still do I want to write it down here with my other informations.
    I am still replying to this thread. However, I won't be replying to questions asked in the couple months that I was away from the forum... as I'm pretty sure any answer I take the time to write up at this time will be obsolete.

Feel free to post your questions.

Thanks man, I really do appreciate what you are doing and your expertness.
    Thanks... all the best.

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Thanks to you!

I would argue that answers to most of your diet questions can be found somewhere on this thread.
    Yes I found practically every single questions about dieting. But here is the individual information about me and a couple questions.

Weight : 160 lbs

BF : ?

Height : 5' 10''

BB exp : 2.5 years

Goal: 175-180 lb with the same BF or maybe a bit more.

For Carbonhydrate intake I just eat; oat, potatoes(not sweet potatoes; the yams), Bran bread and sometimes rice and pasta. Trying to add veggies but couldn't handle the taste of them. But if I eat I count it's CHs also...

Protein sources are; Tuna, other natural fishs, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean red meat, cottage cheese (exp. before bed), egg whites(exp. for breakfast)

Fat sources; unsalted almonds, fish oil (if I eat natural fish I consume with it, not supplemented), nuts, walnuts, and olive oil(exp with salad)

Supplements: Whey protein : Just and only after workouts
    ALA : With meals 3-4 capsules/d
    Glutamine : Sometimes during the day
    BCAA : Just and only after workouts
    L-Arginine : Before bed

I workout unscheduled (days/bodyparts) for 3 days a week and trying to add 45 min cardio %70 MHR after every workout but couldn't handle it well for first 2 weeks; my achilles tendon and gastrocnemius muscles are aching like going to kill me after 15 mins but I ll used to it I think.

My guestimate maintenance kcal is 1723 kcal with Katch-McArdle and (x1.55 = 2,670kcal)

I take 2975 kcal ED with 7 equal meals.

Protein : 36g x 7 : 252 g %34
    Carbs : 50g x 7 : 350 g %47
    Fats : 9g x 7 : 63 g %19

Is there any problem with the structure of the diet?
    And I will use test E 500 mg/w... Will this effect the macros?

Thanks Nark.
    Last edited by cccbozkurt; 01-03-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Cronos is offline Associate Member

Great thread!

Hey Nark, love this thread. Been reading it for the last 2 days. I'm definitely a believer that diet is 70% of the equation, or at least the majority. Anyway, I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, as I am very anal and meticulous with diet, but I am choosing to humble myself, lol, and ask for your professional opinion
    I finished my last cycle approximately 4 months ago, and have since lost some water weight and LBM (sucks). I was about 181 lbs, and am now 173 lbm. These weights are my naked weight. I've also had an injured rotator, which hasn't helped. Anyway, here are my stats and meal plan:

5'7
    173 lbs
    12% - 14% bf
    work-out 4 times/week 60 mins
    Cardio (here go's, I'm ashamed) None (could you please recommend )
    26 years old, male
    Maitenance cals with your formula multiplied by 1.2 for TDEE = 2152 (I used my weight 2 days ago which was 170 lbs. I was depleted of glycogen and a little dehydrated. Low carb days which I don't really want to do any more, which is why your method intrigues me

meal 1
    250 ml egg wites, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 packet stevia (calorieless)
    50p/60c/10f

meal 2
    3 oz whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 can tuna
    55p/80c/>5f

Workout

meal 3
    250 ml egg whites, 25g whey, 1 banana
    53p/20-30c (depending on banana size) 0f

meal 4
    1/2 lb lean ground beef, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup salsa
    50-55p/16c/35f

meal 5
    4 whole eggs, 15g whey protein
    40p/0c/20f

Now this is NOT according to your caloric formula above, it's just what I've been doing. I know it's only 5 meals, but I tend to seperate my meals by about 3 hours, and unless I'm up early or late I can't fit in a 6th.

Please critique anything and everything, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks to you!
    Np.

Yes I found practically every single questions about dieting. But here is the individual information about me and a couple questions.

Weight : 160 lbs

BF : ?

You need to get that tested.

Pics would assist as well.

Height : 5' 10''
    I often say weight is just a number... But, unless you're absolutely ripped right now, 160 lbs @ 5'10" is on the light side.

BB exp : 2.5 years

Goal: 175-180 lb with the same BF or maybe a bit more.
    Would help to know what said BF is.

For Carbonhydrate intake I just eat; oat, potatoes(not sweet potatoes; the yams), Bran bread and sometimes rice and pasta. Trying to add veggies but couldn't handle the taste of them. But if I eat I count it's CHs also...
    What veggies did you "try to add"?

Protein sources are; Tuna, other natural fishs, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean red meat, cottage cheese (exp. before bed), egg whites(exp. for breakfast)
    Decent.

Fat sources; unsalted almonds, fish oil (if I eat natural fish I consume with it, not supplemented), nuts, walnuts, and olive oil(exp with salad)
    noted.

Supplements: Whey protein : Just and only after workouts

Noted.

ALA : With meals 3-4 capsules/d
    Dosage per capsule?

Glutamine : Sometimes during the day
    Why?

BCAA : Just and only after workouts
    In addition to whey?

Why?

And, at what dose?

L-Arginine : Before bed
    Why?

I workout unscheduled (days/bodyparts) for 3 days a week and trying to add 45 min cardio %70 MHR after every workout but couldn't handle it well for first 2 weeks; my achilles tendon and gastrocnemius muscles are aching like going to kill me after 15 mins but I ll used to it I think.
    I'm assuming that you didn't moderately add cardio.

Also... i'm curious as to what you did for cardio.

My guestimate maintenance kcal is 1723 kcal with Katch-McArdle and (x1.55 = 2,670kcal)
    Without factoring your BF in there?

I take 2975 kcal ED with 7 equal meals.

Protein : 36g x 7 : 252 g %34
    Carbs : 50g x 7 : 350 g %47
    Fats : 9g x 7 : 63 g %19

Is there any problem with the structure of the diet?
    Guesstimating, I'd suggest dropping one of those meals.

Hard to say, without knowing your body composition.

But, personally, I'd put you at about 2500 calories to start.

@425kcals per meal on average, dropping one of the meals listed above would put you at right around 2500 kcals.

I'd stick to that for 8 weeks (if you haven't started already), and re-asses.

A problem I see on many forums is that generally people overeat when trying to 'bulk'. Jumping straight on 3000 calories (especially for skinny-fat people - NB: I'm not saying that you are one such person) isn't the best thing to do... or even the most effective.

And I will use test E 500 mg/w... Will this effect the macros?

Thanks Nark.
    It may.

Truthfully, it may make the diet you outlined more feasible.

But, again, it's hard to say based on the blanks in the info provided above.

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
    Hey Nark, love this thread.
    Good stuff mate

Been reading it for the last 2 days. I'm definitely a believer that diet is 70% of the equation, or at least the majority.
    Great!

Anyway, I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, as I am very anal and meticulous with diet, but I am choosing to humble myself, lol, and ask for your professional opinion
    I hope I can assist mate.

I finished my last cycle approximately 4 months ago, and have since lost some water weight and LBM (sucks). I was about 181 lbs, and am now 173 lbm. These weights are my naked weight. I've also had an injured rotator, which hasn't helped.
    I'm sorry to hear about your injury brother

Anyway, here are my stats and meal plan:

5'7
    173 lbs
    12% - 14% bf
    work-out 4 times/week 60 mins
    Noted.

Cardio (here go's, I'm ashamed) None (could you please recommend )
    Will try.

26 years old, male
    Maitenance cals with your formula multiplied by 1.2 for TDEE = 2152 (I used my weight 2 days ago which was 170 lbs. I was depleted of glycogen and a little dehydrated. Low carb days which I don't really want to do any more, which is why your method intrigues me
    Noted.

meal 1
    250 ml egg wites, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 packet stevia (calorieless)
    50p/60c/10f

meal 2
    3 oz whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 can tuna
    55p/80c/>5f

Workout

meal 3
    250 ml egg whites, 25g whey, 1 banana
    53p/20-30c (depending on banana size) 0f

meal 4
    1/2 lb lean ground beef, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup salsa
    50-55p/16c/35f

meal 5
    4 whole eggs, 15g whey protein
    40p/0c/20f

Now this is NOT according to your caloric formula above, it's just what I've been doing. I know it's only 5 meals, but I tend to seperate my meals by about 3 hours, and unless I'm up early or late I can't fit in a 6th.

Please critique anything and everything, thank you!
    To be honest... it's a very solid diet plan. A bit devoid of veggies, but that's easily fixed. (Personally, I would add 2-3 cups of broccoli w/ the last meal to start)

I don't think (at your weight) you need to add another meal.

Also, at least one study shows that increasing meal spacing improves glucose sensitivity... so, I really don't think you need that additional meal, at all.

What you need now is cardio.

I would also manipulate carbs on non-training days. Keep meal 1 the same, but drop the carb source in subsequent meals, and swap it out for 2 cups of fibrous veggies instead. (NB: this is on non-training days)

Additionally, I would add a light calisthenic routine (or cardio) in the a.m. on non-training days.

Do you own any equipment at present?

Kettlebells et. al

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Cronos is offline Associate Member
    Good stuff mate

Great!

I hope I can assist mate.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury brother

Noted.

Will try.

Noted.

To be honest... it's a very solid diet plan. A bit devoid of veggies, but that's easily fixed. (Personally, I would add 2-3 cups of broccoli w/ the last meal to start)

I don't think (at your weight) you need to add another meal.

Also, at least one study shows that increasing meal spacing improves glucose sensitivity... so, I really don't think you need that additional meal, at all.

What you need now is cardio.

I would also manipulate carbs on non-training days. Keep meal 1 the same, but drop the carb source in subsequent meals, and swap it out for 2 cups of fibrous veggies instead. (NB: this is on non-training days)

Additionally, I would add a light calisthenic routine (or cardio) in the a.m. on non-training days.

Do you own any equipment at present?

Kettlebells et. al
    Thanks for the solid advice, man. I don't own any equipment, I just use the local YMCA. I can say this though; I have done intense cardio like 3 times in the past 2 weeks, and I notice a difference in my body composition already! It's amazing how fast my body responds to the cardio. I just haven't done it more, because of my lazy ass attitude towards it. Will make the adjustments you recommend, thank you

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

Lightbulb

Nark, watsup brother...

Got side tracked with classes last semester, almost no training, and gained some fat bro. Not me at all, wont let my sciences effect my body and end up looking like all the nerds that I'm in class with. So, I am going to start this cutting diet, I expect it should take 6 weeks to reach what I'm aiming for. I really am not going to go by numbers too much, but mostly by the mirror. So I am hoping to cut down about 6-8lbs in 6 weeks, or at least shred some bf%. Will be running a cycle concurrently with this diet. I plan to cut for 6 weeks, and then segway straight into a 12 week bulking cycle&diet, frontloading 1000mg of Test Enanthate the first week, and 500mg/wk from 2-12. Will be following IronmanHIT training. So I am considering this to be my "Primer" for my cycle. Any and all input is appreciated and will be incorporated...

Height: 5’9”
    Weight: 184lbs (81.2kg)
    Bodyfat: 15% (caliper)

-10% maintenance calories, Katch-McCardle : 2758kcals/day

TARGET: 2,850 cals / (60%) Protein 1,710cals/ (30%) Carbs 855cal/ Fats (10%) 285cal

Cardio: AM Cardio, Empty Stomach, 20-30 minutes, Target heart rate 135-140BPM

Workout: No need to go into real detail here, 3 exercises per body part, 4 sets, high reps 10-12 on each set. Doing a standard 4-day split while cutting.

Cycle: Weeks 1-6 Testosterone Propionate 50mg/ED or 100mg/EOD (depending on soreness).

Meal 1: Breakfast 7:30am
    · 1.5 cups Oatmeal in water (135g)
    · 1 egg, 5 egg whites (50g/160g)
    · 680 kcal / 47g(27%)/91g(53%)/15g(19%)

Meal 2: 10:30am
    · Chicken Breast (Grilled) (200 grams)
    · 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Oil (29.5 grams)
    · 490 kcal/46g(39%)/0g(0%)/32g(64%)

***Workout 1 pm : 45 min duration***

Meal 3: PWO (15 mins following workout) (2:00pm approx.)
    · CytoSport MM-Collegiate 4 scoops
    · 580kcal/40g(27%)/90g(62%)/7g(11%)
    * MuscleMilk Collegiate has 40g of protein and 90g of carbs per serving, and contains Maltodextrin, I can also order Dextrose and add it into the shake if you think it is useful?

Meal 4: PPWO (5:00pm)
    · Chicken Breast (200g)
    · Yam (200g)
    · Asparagus (100g)
    · 481kcal/51g(44%)/60g(51%)/3g(6%)

Meal 5: 8:00pm
    · Chicken Breast (200g)
    · Broccoli (250g)
    · 322kcal/53g(69%)/17g(21%)/3g(10%)

Meal 6: 11:00pm (Bedtime)
    · CytoSport Cassein Complete – 1 scoop (110 cals, 25g protein)
    · 2 tbsp Flaxseed oil
    · 375kcal/25g(26%)/2g(2%)/31g(72%)

TOTALS(macros):
    2,920 cals / Pro- 262 grams (1,049 kcals) / Carbs- 259 grams (1,037 kcals) / Fat- 90 grams (813cals)
    Last edited by thegodfather; 01-17-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Pics would assist as well.

I often say weight is just a number... But, unless you're absolutely ripped right now, 160 lbs @ 5'10" is on the light side.
    Sure, I was like a stick!

What veggies did you "try to add"?
    Broccoli, cabbage

Dosage per capsule?
    ALA Dosage 150 mg per capsule

Why?
    Glutamine for prevent catabolism expecially if gap between meals extends.

In addition to whey?

Why?

And, at what dose?
    BCAA 5 g dose to increase insulin .

Why?
    Arginine to increase GH

I'm assuming that you didn't moderately add cardio.

Also... i'm curious as to what you did for cardio.
    I am doing cardio 4 days/w 45 min 135 HR after workouts(Eliptical)

Guesstimating, I'd suggest dropping one of those meals.

But, personally, I'd put you at about 2500 calories to start.

@425kcals per meal on average, dropping one of the meals listed above would put you at right around 2500 kcals.

I'd stick to that for 8 weeks (if you haven't started already), and re-asses.

A problem I see on many forums is that generally people overeat when trying to 'bulk'. Jumping straight on 3000 calories (especially for skinny-fat people - NB: I'm not saying that you are one such person) isn't the best thing to do... or even the most effective.
    I started that diet 2 months ago.
    Gained 15 lbs(started the cycle(Test E) 3 weeks ago), with not much belly fat.
    I was dropped one meal before but increased the macros to get the same calories.
    What do you think shoul I do. Is 2500 enough for me in case using the Test E?

bernimx is offline Associate Member
    Hey Nark,

Four versus six meals per day?

Is four meal a day an inferior way of dieting given the same daily macros/total?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bernimx View Post
    Hey Nark,

Four versus six meals per day?
    To be honest, we could go back and forth about the benefits of either for extended periods of time... and we may end up at an impasse.

Currently, my meals are much further apart...and infrequent.

This has been decent for maintenance... but I wouldn't peg it as being as efficient for (lean-)mass-building.

Were I overweight, I would argue that it may be better for blood sugar control (and/or improving blood sugar) as a few studies would suggest that infrequent meals are better for BG control.

On the flip side, most of the fitness community argues that smaller more frequent meals are superior (though I would argue that this is where these feedings are compared to the infrequent binge-esque eating that normative in sedentary individuals).

Anyway... back to your question: Really, it depends on your goals and schedule... as well as environmental factors like stress.

Also depends on your current LBM and the amount of (food) volume you need to meet your caloric needs (re: volume of food and its effects on digestion et. al.)

Quote Originally Posted by bernimx View Post
    Is four meal a day an inferior way of dieting given the same daily macros/total?
    Not necessarily.

My question to you would be 'why' you're curious about it.

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Fat Bloke is offline New Member
    I have Hypothyroidism and take L-thyroxine medication and have struggle with losing weight for many years , i have been folling a paleo type diet for about 8 months and have loss weight 23lbs for the first time in years ,but no loss for the last 3 month . i was hoping that you may have some ideas to help with my weight loss , i am 54 yrs, 16s 6lbs, 22% bf, i train 5 times aweek run x3 cyclex2 gym 2 to 3 time aweek i am out of ideas can you help please ??

bernimx is offline Associate Member
    My question to you would be 'why' you're curious about it.
    As I am starting a new job, 4 meals a day fits my schedule nicely. I still want to progress though. I appreciate your opinion.

Corpsman is offline Associate Member
    Okay I was told in another thread that my diet sucks. I am 5'7" and weigh 175lbs. I need to be closer to 160lbs. I have a bit of a beer gut look. I am currently taking 200mg/wk of Test Cyp and 1500u of HcG . I am 37 and haven't worked out seriously for about 18 years. I am asking because I really don't know and I know there is a lot of knowledgeable members here.

My diet consists of 3 hard boiled eggs and an English muffin with jelly for breakfast. Then between breakfast and lunch I eat grapes and blueberries and an orange. For lunch I have a sandwich with turkey and spinach and a tomato. Then between lunch and dinner I eat carrots and sugarsnap peas with lowfat ranch dressing and a string cheese. For dinner I usually have fish with beans and broccoli.

I am doing a workout routine that TBody66 recommended for me and it is kicking my ass. But I am serious about making this work. I am going to a beach party in July and need to look good.

Shqipe is offline New Member
    Hey i could really use some help, ive learned alot in the 1 1/2 years that ive been working out, but i still need more info to help me get to where i wana be.
    first let me tell u my info:
    Weight:225
    Height:6'2
    Fat%: around 25%, 60 pounds of fat
    Activity: 5-6 times a week

Messed around a lot with a lot of different diets. I started really FAT, i was 280 at the start, then i went down to around 205 but i lost a lot of muscle along with fat. Every time i diet to lose fat, i lose muscle, not sure if im undereating or too much cardio, times when i tried to lose more fat i wud do my body part then run moderate pace 30 mins. Then I wud c im losing too much muscle so i wud try to gain more muscle, but wud gain LITTLE mass and a lot of the fat back, basically ive been on a rollercoaster for the past 6-8 months. My goal is to get down to 10-15% BF while adding mass or maintaining my mass.

My current diet:
    Morning 8am:
    1cup of oats mixed with 1 scoop whey with milk.
    2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    2 slices of whole wheat bread
    Multi-vitamins
    1 scoop casein with 1% fat milk

Lunch 11;30 :varies but mostly meats
    Salmon/fish
    or
    Grilled chicken
    for carbs rice or veggies such as asparagus or brocoli
    some almonds or peanut butter

2-3pm
    Same as lunch wud just eat a different type of meat

5pm
    2 scoops whey with 1% fat milk

5:30-pre workout
    Jack3d
    2 servings BCAA's

Post-workout
    2 scoops whey protein
    2 servings BCAA's

8PM-1 hr after postworkout
    2 pieces Grilled chicken with asparagus
    or 2 slices of whole wheat bread with 2-3tbsp peanut butter

Before bed
    1 serving of BCAA's
    1 scoop casein protein with 1%fat milk

*2-3 servings of fruit throughout the day*
    estimation on seriving sizes

would really appreciate it if you can help me.

RelaxBro is offline New Member
    Whats up Nark
    Im 20yrs old wrking out with the goal of entering my first bodybuilding show in the next two years or so. I dont use AAS & wont consider it until i do some more growing, ive put on more size lately that ive actually started eating more whole food and cut out the shakes. Im 5'6 181lbs right now. Now that im getting myself use to eating all my meals daily, i have a question regarding BCAA supplementation. How many extra grams of BCAAs should i be supplementing with daily? Is it a waste to take a few aminos between meals? I eat 6 - 7 times a day.

billyyb is offline Junior Member
    Hey nark I have a question on losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I was wondering if my total daily caloric consumption should be at my TDEE, above or below it to achieve this? Also wondering if I should/shouldnt be eating low carbs seeing as I'm still trying to gain muscle at the same time aswell? or maybe only consume higher carbs at breakfast, pre and post workout? Advice would be appreciated.

Stats:
    Age- 18 in 5 days
    Height- 5'10
    Weight- 76kg
    BF%- no idea, I would guess around 16%

dannyboy247 is offline New Member
    Hello

Age 30
    weight 245 pounds
    Height 6.2
    BF 15 %
    Goal 10 %
    Bmr 2414
    TDEE 4164.15

9 morning*
    fat\pro\carbs
    whole eggs 11\14 \1
    egg whites 10 2\25\1
    Porridge 5.3\9\32.8
    flaxseeds almonds brazil nuts 15.75\5.4\1

11 mid morning*

Fat\Pro\Carbs

greek yogurt 0\17\2
    flaxseeds almonds brazil nuts 15.75\5\4 1

1 lunch time*

Fat\Pro\Carbs
    Chicken 5/40/2
    sweet photato 0/2/43
    veg
    4.00 pw

fat\pro\carbs

protain 25
    Porridge 5.3 9 32.8

6.30 post work out*

protain shake*
    0\50\0
    dexto
    0\0\60
    white bagal 0\0\50

dinner*

8 oz steak sirlin 19.2\63\1
    sweet photato 0\4\86
    veg

before bed*
    Calcium Caseinate
    0\25\0
    flaxseeds almonds brazil nuts 15.75 5.4 1

|Total*

fat\pro\carbs
    95\304\294

looking to get down to 10 % bodyfat . want fully visible abs*

working out monday to friday*

4-5 times a week cardio

looking to do carb cycling

spoonta66 is offline Associate Member

First cutting diet, is it suitable?

Here are a few details about myself and a copy of my current eating regime. Have been on it for three weeks now and not seeing much in the way of weight loss at all?

6'5", 275lbs, 18% body fat, looking to get down to around 240 @ 8-10% body fat

Currently eating the following and not 1 gram more or less:

8:00 am Meal 1: ½ cup porridge + 6 egg whites

10:00 am Meal 2: 200g grilled Chicken + vegies

12:30 am Meal 3: 200g lean beef + 150g brown rice

3:00 pm Meal 4: 200g grilled Chicken + 100g baked sweet potato

4:30 pm Workout (Lifting M, W, F and cardio other days, Sunday rest)

5:30 pm Meal 5: 40g WPC (PWO)

6:30 pm Meal 6: 200g grilled Chicken + broccoli

8:00 pm Meal 7: 6 egg whites or 40g WPC

I maintained my weight for the first three weeks and have dropped about 3 pounds in the last week, it doesn’t seem like enough?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonta66 View Post
    Here are a few details about myself and a copy of my current eating regime. Have been on it for three weeks now and not seeing much in the way of weight loss at all?

6'5", 275lbs, 18% body fat, looking to get down to around 240 @ 8-10% body fat

Currently eating the following and not 1 gram more or less:

8:00 am Meal 1: ½ cup porridge + 6 egg whites

10:00 am Meal 2: 200g grilled Chicken + vegies

12:30 am Meal 3: 200g lean beef + 150g brown rice

3:00 pm Meal 4: 200g grilled Chicken + 100g baked sweet potato

4:30 pm Workout (Lifting M, W, F and cardio other days, Sunday rest)

5:30 pm Meal 5: 40g WPC (PWO)

6:30 pm Meal 6: 200g grilled Chicken + broccoli

8:00 pm Meal 7: 6 egg whites or 40g WPC

I maintained my weight for the first three weeks and have dropped about 3 pounds in the last week, it doesn’t seem like enough?
    re: 200gr chicken etc. Are these weights the uncooked weights, or is this 200gr of cooked meat?

What are the macros per meal?

What type of training are doing currently? What duration?

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

re: 200gr chicken etc. Are these weights the uncooked weights, or is this 200gr of cooked meat? 200g of uncooked chicken breast or other lean meat with spices and salt/pepper for flavor, no marinades or sauces

What are the macros per meal? Not sure what that means

What type of training are doing currently? What duration?
    Currently Monday 45-60 minutes chest and tris, Tuesday 45 minutes cardio, Wednesday 45-60 minutes back and bis, Thursday 45 minutes cardio, Friday 45-60 minutes shoulders and legs, Saturday 30 minutes in the pool, Sunday play and chill with my kids

Just recalculated my whole diet and made a few changes using macros and weights from raw foods using the livestrong website and these are the results I got:

Daily Totals:
    Cals 2170
    Fat 50 g
    Carbs 209 g
    Protein 224 g
    Fibre 28 g

New Diet :

7:30am Meal 1: ½ cup porridge with 1 cup skim milk and 2 tsp of honey + 6 egg whites

10:00 am Meal 2: 150g grilled grilled skinless chicken breast + 1 carrot + 1 tomato + 50g snow peas + 6 almonds + 1 tsp olive oil

12:30 am Meal 3: 130g No Drain tuna in olive oil + 150g brown rice

3:00 pm Meal 4: 150g grilled Chicken + 100g baked sweet potato

5:30 pm Meal 5: 40g WPC + 1/4 cup powdered oats

6:30 pm Meal 6: 200g grilled Chicken + broccoli + 1tsp olive oil + 6 almonds

9:00pm Meal 7: ½ cup L/F cottage cheese

Suppliments: Calcium +D twice a day, slow release multi every morning, 2000mg Vitamin C spread throughout the day, 1000mg glucosamine mornings, 2000mg fish oil with every pro-fat meal (2 and 6), multizyme (amylase, protease, lipase, tilactase, cellulase, bromelain and papain) with every meal, psyllium husks with every meal.
    Last edited by spoonta66; 09-14-2011 at 08:13 PM.

thedawg is offline New Member
    Hi nark,

I wont go into detail but basically i have an equal split of p/c/f over 5-6meals (depending on workout or non workoit day) with a pro/fat and moderate protein meal before bed totalling out at around 45% protein, 40% carbs and 15%fat.

What i would like to know is - with evening workouts finishing about 9.30 would i be better having only a post workout shake and one meal before bed at 12.30 or would i be better sticking with what i do now which is

9.30 - post wo shake (pro and oats)

10.30 - dinner (pro and moderate carb meal)

12.15-12.30 - pro fat meal - cottage cheese and natty pb

The reason i ask is because it feels slghtly cramped together?

Do you believe i woukd be better spreadin rhese calories throughout the da and having just one full meal before bed?

cheers mate

idude is offline New Member
    Hey Nark,

Can you please tell me how my diet is.
    I'm currently 5'8 135LB, also kind of a skinny fat, and hard gainer forsure.

Meal 1: Breakfeast (7:30)
    1 1/4Cup-Vector cereal (215 Calories, 2.8g Fat, 44G Carbs, 5.5G Protein
    Cup of 1% Milk- (100 Calories, 2.5G Fat, 13G Carbs, 8G Protein)
    Banana- (110 Calories, 29G Carbs, 1G Protein)

Meal 2: (10:20 School Lunch)
    (2 TBSP Peanut butter) and (TBSPNutella) (2 SLices Whole Wheat Bread)- (630 Calories, 31G Fat, 70G Carbs, 19G Protein)
    Nutri Grain Bar- (140 Calories, 3G Fat, 26G Carb, 1G Protein)
    Protein Shake- (110 Calories, 1G Carbs, 26G Protein)

Meal 3: (11:30-2:47)

1 Cup of Almonds- (546 Calories, 46.9G Fat, 20.6G Carbs, 20.2G Protein)

Meal 4: (3:30 )
    Tuna Can -(120 Calories, 15G Protein)
    1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil- (120 Calories, 14G Fat)
    Scoop Of Whey Isolate- (110 Calories, 1G Carb, 25G Protein

Meal 5: (Supper/Pre Workout) 6:30-7
    Chicken Breasts (231 Calories, 5G Fat, 43G Protein)
    1/2 Cup Brown Rice (106 Calories, 0.9G Fat, 21.8G Carbs, 2.5G Protein)
    5G Of Creatine
    1 Scoop of White Flood

Meal 6: (Post Workout) 9:30-10:45
    1 Scoop of Whey Isolate (110 Calories, 1G Carb, 25G of Protein)
    Cup of Whole Wheat Spagetti ( 174 Calories, .8G Fat, 37.2g Carb, 7.5g Protein)
    Can of Tuna (120 Calories, 15G Protein)

Total Calories- 2,942
    Total Fats- 106.9G
    Total Carbs- 264.6G
    Total Protein- 213.7G Protein
    Last edited by idude; 12-29-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Bevsta123 is offline Member
    whats the best foods to have when trying to bulk? i understand you should havea high calorie and carb diet. iv just been eating lots of egg whites, fish, chicken breast, pasta, drink lots of milk & water, protein shake.

Is this good? im kinda new to lifting aswell.

Sailor Moon is offline Female Member
    just by reading everyone elses posts I learned so much! Gracias!

Blog Entries
    New blog entry:

Want legs? Get legs! - http://wp.me/p1e8qb-28 «--"Deliberate leg training...for deliberate growth."

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Blog Entries
    New Blog Entry:

"Whore Mode: Time to get Fvcking Fit!" -- http://wp.me/p1e8qb-2s

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Stop yer braggin' wit those tree trunks!!!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    New blog entry:

Want legs? Get legs! - http://wp.me/p1e8qb-28 «--"Deliberate leg training...for deliberate growth."

Man I remember this thread I think I'm on page 7 or somewhere!

Nark, nice wheels dude! I'm feeling quite inferior!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Man I remember this thread I think I'm on page 7 or somewhere!
    Way back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post

Nark, nice wheels dude! I'm feeling quite inferior!
    Thanks brother.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Stop yer braggin' wit those tree trunks!!!
    lol ;-)

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    New Blog Entry:

"Whore Mode: Time to get Fvcking Fit!" -- http://wp.me/p1e8qb-2s

damn nark, i need to feel like a whore again! thanks for the reminder!

SHANE704 is offline Junior Member
    nark,

i havent had time to read all the pages in this thread but Ive been workin on it when I get a chance here and there. great job explaining things and helpin simplify some of this stuff.

I have been cuttin for 8 weeks and im about to start back bulking and have been trying to get my diet lined up...

currently at 160lbs, 5'11", 12%bf

ive used both methods of calculating BMR and TDEE and i come up with right around 2800 TDEE. Ive been on a 2100-2300 cal diet for my cut with a 60/20/20 split but all that was before i stumbled onto this thread. Anyway, my question is for a clean bulk does 3400 cal with a 40/40/20 split sound about right?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^^ Nark's not around all that often bro. I don't want to speak on his behalf, but you'd probably be better of starting your own thread if you haven't already done so.

Tigerlily01 is offline Female Member
    lots of great info...thanks

Tigerlily01 is offline Female Member
    lots of great info...thanks

hughmad is offline New Member
    thanks for the info

Thread Information