Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041 LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,520 of 1630
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

  1. #1481
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg
    It's a true pleasure to have you on this board. Always respectful replies and comments that, at least to me, makes sense. Can not wait to learn even more from my studies and from you.
    And the same to you, tarmyg! Post anything diet related in this forum! I love reading it and I think it's obvious that the diet section does not get nearly as much traffic as it should. You are an absolutely SOLID addition here, and I love that your approach to dieting is day/night compared to mine; we learn a lot and grow that way.

  2. #1482
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Hi Nova and Nark, thank you so much for taking out time from your personal lives to help strangers, its amazing!!

    I need some help bringing body fat down but I don't want to look smaller. I am naturally a very skinny guy but ended up gaining fat in the wrong areas due to dirty eating - was hoping to get big

    Age: 30
    Weight: 185 lbs (up from 167 lbs, January 2015 - No AAS)
    Height: 5'9
    BF%: 25% (overestimated)
    BMR: 1732 calories
    TDEE: 2852 calories
    Gym - 5 days a week, no cardio
    1 day parkour or 1 day indoor soccer

    Sometimes parkour/soccer are on the same day so I do get 1-2 days off.

    I might take some OTC fat burner or throw in some VAR (to preserve muscle mass) but I haven't done any research yet. At this point the goal is to understand nutrition.

    Calories/Protien/Carbs/Fat

    Meal 1
    ON Whey: 240 - 40 - 8 - 2
    Oats: 120 - 4 - 20 - 2
    Total: 360 - 52 - 28 -4

    Meal 2
    2 slices of bread: 160 - 6 - 30 - 2
    Cheddar Cheese: 120 - 8 - 4 - 8
    2 cans of Tuna : 240 - 36 - 0 - 10
    Total : 520 - 50 - 34 - 20

    Meal 3
    Chicken thighs: 285 - 36 - 0 - 15
    White rice : 160 - 4 - 37 - 0
    2 whole eggs : 156 - 12 -1.2 - 10
    Total: : 601 - 52 - 38.2 -25

    PreW/O Meal 4
    4 egg whites : 68 - 14.4 - 0.8 - 0.4
    2 Bananas : 220 - 2 - 60 - 0
    Total :288 - 16.4 - 60.8 - 0.4

    PostW/O Meal 5
    ON Whey : 240 - 40 - 8 - 2
    Quinoa salad :184 - 7 - 32 - 3
    Tuna :120 - 18 - 0 -5
    Total :544 - 73 - 40 - 10

    Meal 6
    Chicken thighs: 285 - 36 - 0 - 15
    Yams (150gm): 177 - 2.3 - 42 - 0.3
    Cottage Cheese: 49 - 5.5 - 2 - 2.7
    Total : 511 - 43.8 -44 - 18

    Daily total: Calories 2824, Protien 287.2, Carbs 245, Fat 77.4

    I think fat is too high dude to chicken thighs. Chicken breast is too expensive so I will do my best to cut all the fat before cooking unless you guys have a better suggestion.

    Please and thank you in advance.
    novastepp likes this.

  3. #1483
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    Hi Nova and Nark, thank you so much for taking out time from your personal lives to help strangers, its amazing!!

    I need some help bringing body fat down but I don't want to look smaller. I am naturally a very skinny guy but ended up gaining fat in the wrong areas due to dirty eating - was hoping to get big

    Age: 30
    Weight: 185 lbs (up from 167 lbs, January 2015 - No AAS)
    Height: 5'9
    BF%: 25% (overestimated)
    BMR: 1732 calories
    TDEE: 2852 calories
    Gym - 5 days a week, no cardio
    1 day parkour or 1 day indoor soccer

    Sometimes parkour/soccer are on the same day so I do get 1-2 days off.

    I might take some OTC fat burner or throw in some VAR (to preserve muscle mass) but I haven't done any research yet. At this point the goal is to understand nutrition.

    Calories/Protien/Carbs/Fat

    Meal 1
    ON Whey: 240 - 40 - 8 - 2
    Oats: 120 - 4 - 20 - 2
    Total: 360 - 52 - 28 -4

    Nothing wrong with this first meal. I enjoy whey in the mornings sometimes. I enjoy it especially when I'm eating and not feeling very hungry. It provides the macro I need without the need to chew and swallow. I would recommend eating a meal here some days, to give you more cals and a more satisfied feeling. So if you're ever hungry when you have this first meal, I would substitute whole food for the whey.

    Meal 2
    2 slices of bread: 160 - 6 - 30 - 2
    Cheddar Cheese: 120 - 8 - 4 - 8
    2 cans of Tuna : 240 - 36 - 0 - 10
    Total : 520 - 50 - 34 - 20

    Are we shooting for a pro/carb meal here? If so, I would make sure your bread is whole wheat and full of grains for fiber and complex carbs. I personally do not eat bread, I choose different options. Also, the macros on that cheese surprise me. Is it reduced fat? I usually reserve cheese for a pro/fat meal, If I'm having one. But if it fits, its a good choice.

    Meal 3
    Chicken thighs: 285 - 36 - 0 - 15
    White rice : 160 - 4 - 37 - 0
    2 whole eggs : 156 - 12 -1.2 - 10
    Total: : 601 - 52 - 38.2 -25

    As you mentioned, the chicken thighs could be replaced, and in the interested of optimizing your diet, they should be. If money is the problem, I understand, I am just giving my advice. I would use a lower fat option for the meat. Chicken and rice is a great meal.

    PreW/O Meal 4
    4 egg whites : 68 - 14.4 - 0.8 - 0.4
    2 Bananas : 220 - 2 - 60 - 0
    Total :288 - 16.4 - 60.8 - 0.4

    How close to your training are you eating this? DO you intentionally eat lighter before a workout? Just curious. Your options are not poor, but I'm trying to understand the timing. I personally do not change my meal pre-workout; I have a normal chicken and taters meal.

    PostW/O Meal 5
    ON Whey : 240 - 40 - 8 - 2
    Quinoa salad :184 - 7 - 32 - 3
    Tuna :120 - 18 - 0 -5
    Total :544 - 73 - 40 - 10

    You could add carbs to this meal if you needed macros.

    Meal 6
    Chicken thighs: 285 - 36 - 0 - 15
    Yams (150gm): 177 - 2.3 - 42 - 0.3
    Cottage Cheese: 49 - 5.5 - 2 - 2.7
    Total : 511 - 43.8 -44 - 18

    Daily total: Calories 2824, Protien 287.2, Carbs 245, Fat 77.4

    I think fat is too high dude to chicken thighs. Chicken breast is too expensive so I will do my best to cut all the fat before cooking unless you guys have a better suggestion.

    Please and thank you in advance.
    Thank you for your question/comment.

    I have stated my opinion above in Blue

    I would keep my cals steady across all meals, and you've done a good job of that. I would just shoot for around 500 cals in each meal to keep things even. Let me know if you have any questions.

  4. #1484
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Hey man thanks a lot for your reply. The only reason my pre workout meal is light is to end the day around 2800 calories. I don't want to make the mistake of overeating again this time. Please let me know.

    Cheese - it's processed sliced cheese - I know it's not healthy. But financially and comfort of eating it at work in 5 minutes are my reasons to pick this. If it's horrible I can try to replace it with cold cuts or cottage cheese whenever I can.

    One last question - should I increase/decrease protien/carbs/anything for what I am trying to do?

    Thanks again.
    Last edited by somewhatjacked; 10-27-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    novastepp likes this.

  5. #1485
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    Hey man thanks a lot for your reply. The only reason my pre workout meal is light is to end the day around 2800 calories. I don't want to make the mistake of overeating again this time. Please let me know.

    Cheese - it's processed sliced cheese - I know it's not healthy. But financially and comfort of eating it at work in 5 minutes are my reasons to pick this. If it's horrible I can try to replace it with cold cuts or cottage cheese whenever I can.

    One last question - should I increase/decrease protien/carbs/anything for what I am trying to do?

    Thanks again.
    I would substitute the cheese for a low-fat/fat free cottage cheese if you can.

    I might add some more carbs to that preworkout meal because I think that is a very important meal and I wouldn't want to short change yourself in the upcoming workout.

    I would assess a necessary change a few ways:
    Are you progressing in your lifts?
    Are you gaining weight every week?
    Are you losing weigh every week?
    Are you noticing changes in leanness or muscle separation?

    For now, you are eating adequately for your size and activity level. that is important. If you change activity level or change the intensity/schedule of your lifts, then you will want to change your diet.
    Note the questions above and report back findings after a week and two weeks. Keep details in a log or in a thread.

  6. #1486
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post

    I would substitute the cheese for a low-fat/fat free cottage cheese if you can.

    I might add some more carbs to that preworkout meal because I think that is a very important meal and I wouldn't want to short change yourself in the upcoming workout.

    I would assess a necessary change a few ways:
    Are you progressing in your lifts?
    Are you gaining weight every week?
    Are you losing weigh every week?
    Are you noticing changes in leanness or muscle separation?

    For now, you are eating adequately for your size and activity level. that is important. If you change activity level or change the intensity/schedule of your lifts, then you will want to change your diet.
    Note the questions above and report back findings after a week and two weeks. Keep details in a log or in a thread.
    Sounds good, will do.

    Can I add apples or tangerines as carbs before workout?

    Also, can I substitute fruits for rice or yams on bad days? Today the freaking yam didn't bake for 90 mins - lol do I had to eat fruits for carbs.
    novastepp likes this.

  7. #1487
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    I think it would be okay to add fruit before or after your workouts. The pre/post workout timing of fruit sugars is okay, but IMO, it is the only time I would add them. Therefore, I would not substitute the yams or the rice for fruits throughout your day. Obviously, if something causes you to be unable to eat the potato or rice then any carb will do, but I would stick to an apple if you needed it.

  8. #1488
    bloodchoke's Avatar
    bloodchoke is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    I'm right behind you..
    Posts
    656
    Gentlemen,
    I'm winding down a 12-week cycle with a test-e base. Principally, what changes do I want to make to my diet during PCT? This is what I was thinking:
    During the two weeks bt my last pin and my first Nolv/Clomid dose, drop 100 calories every few days until I get to maintenance. Continue at maintenance throughout PCT while keeping yolks, red meats and saturated fats in my diet, until my post-cycle bloods are right (the HPTA parts). Then, begin a slow, 1/2-pound - 1 pound/wk cut to clean up my gains and get my cholesterol back to where is should be. Thoughts?
    Last edited by bloodchoke; 11-08-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    novastepp likes this.

  9. #1489
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    I think it would be okay to add fruit before or after your workouts. The pre/post workout timing of fruit sugars is okay, but IMO, it is the only time I would add them. Therefore, I would not substitute the yams or the rice for fruits throughout your day. Obviously, if something causes you to be unable to eat the potato or rice then any carb will do, but I would stick to an apple if you needed it.
    Hey man, I replaced chicken thighs with fish - this dropped my calories too. I adjusted my diet a little bit to eat 280gms of protien but I am still 200 calories under my total goal.

    I am eating around 260-280 gms of carbs so I don't want to add more carbs.

    What do you suggest?


    PS: I have been very consistent at 185 lbs compared to usual 189-191.
    novastepp likes this.

  10. #1490
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    5,798
    Blog Entries
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodchoke View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I'm winding down a 12-week cycle with a test-e base. Principally, what changes do I want to make to my diet during PCT? This is what I was thinking:
    During the two weeks bt my last pin and my first Nolv/Clomid dose, drop 100 calories every few days until I get to maintenance. Continue at maintenance throughout PCT while keeping yolks, red meats and saturated fats in my diet, until my post-cycle bloods are right (the HPTA parts). Then, begin a slow, 1/2-pound - 1 pound/wk cut to clean up my gains and get my cholesterol back to where is should be. Thoughts?
    Under NO circumstances drop calories during PCT. If anything, add more or you will lose muscle mass. http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...rate-user.html
    novastepp likes this.

  11. #1491
    bloodchoke's Avatar
    bloodchoke is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    I'm right behind you..
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Under NO circumstances drop calories during PCT. If anything, add more or you will lose muscle mass. http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...rate-user.html
    Very good -- Thank you, tarmyg; I appreciate that!
    novastepp likes this.

  12. #1492
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodchoke View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I'm winding down a 12-week cycle with a test-e base. Principally, what changes do I want to make to my diet during PCT? This is what I was thinking:
    During the two weeks bt my last pin and my first Nolv/Clomid dose, drop 100 calories every few days until I get to maintenance. Continue at maintenance throughout PCT while keeping yolks, red meats and saturated fats in my diet, until my post-cycle bloods are right (the HPTA parts). Then, begin a slow, 1/2-pound - 1 pound/wk cut to clean up my gains and get my cholesterol back to where is should be. Thoughts?
    Keep your cals high, just as tarmyg stated. You want to keep gains and bring your hormone function back up to par. Keep cals high during PCT.

    It is okay to eat more saturated fats than normal during PCT as well. I have advised people in the past to not begin cutting until 4 weeks AFTER PCT has concluded. Keep all the LBM you can after coming off cycle, this is a crucial time.

  13. #1493
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    Hey man, I replaced chicken thighs with fish - this dropped my calories too. I adjusted my diet a little bit to eat 280gms of protien but I am still 200 calories under my total goal.

    I am eating around 260-280 gms of carbs so I don't want to add more carbs.

    What do you suggest?


    PS: I have been very consistent at 185 lbs compared to usual 189-191.
    Glad to hear you are dropping some pounds.

    You could add a few egg whites before your workout.

    How does Meal #2 look now? It could be the meal to help refine your diet and add a few cals.

  14. #1494
    bloodchoke's Avatar
    bloodchoke is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    I'm right behind you..
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Keep your cals high, just as tarmyg stated. You want to keep gains and bring your hormone function back up to par. Keep cals high during PCT.

    It is okay to eat more saturated fats than normal during PCT as well. I have advised people in the past to not begin cutting until 4 weeks AFTER PCT has concluded. Keep all the LBM you can after coming off cycle, this is a crucial time.
    Nova!
    Thank you!
    novastepp likes this.

  15. #1495
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Remember, glycogen replenishment occurs over a period of days, not at certain times a day. Keep carbs up if you are training hard to keep muscles growing and to help replace energy for your next session.

  16. #1496
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post

    Glad to hear you are dropping some pounds.

    You could add a few egg whites before your workout.

    How does Meal #2 look now? It could be the meal to help refine your diet and add a few cals.
    Hey Nova, 2nd meal - I have added rotisserie chicken to my sandwich with 2 cans of tuna.

    I am aiming 40/40/20 ratios but I am not hitting 20% fat. Can I incorporate Almonds to make up the missing 200 calories? Even with almonds I will still be a little under for total fat intake goal. Please let me know your thoughts.

    PS: I am 182 with slight muscle loss. What can I do to avoid further muscle loss?
    bloodchoke and novastepp like this.

  17. #1497
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked
    Hey Nova, 2nd meal - I have added rotisserie chicken to my sandwich with 2 cans of tuna. I am aiming 40/40/20 ratios but I am not hitting 20% fat. Can I incorporate Almonds to make up the missing 200 calories? Even with almonds I will still be a little under for total fat intake goal. Please let me know your thoughts. PS: I am 182 with slight muscle loss. What can I do to avoid further muscle loss?
    Don't be afraid of carbs. That is what this thread is trying to convey. You don't really have a pro/fat meal in there anywhere, but you could add 200-300 cals to your preworkout meal, which may help with energy levels during training.

    Training will help you preserve LBM. How are you assessing your LBM loss? You seem to be losing pounds slowly and consistently, but. Would fear a serious drop in strength this early.

    If you wanted to add some cals I would do it preworkout based on what is above, but if you wanted almonds, you could eat some before bed f you're hungry then.

    It may help me look at things if you updated your diet and provided the changes you have made the past few weeks. Also, at this point remind me what your training looks like as well, cardio and weights.

    We will figure this out.

  18. #1498
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101-diet.png
    novastepp likes this.

  19. #1499
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Hey please let me know if that image is not clear.

    I look smaller, my clothes are not as tight so I am assuming I lost muscle mass - whats the best way to assess LBM?

    I haven't noticed significant difference in loss of strength. I have also stopped taking creative/preworkout.

    I have been very frustrated lately so I have changed my workout several times. Currently, I have decided to stick to 12 week program (Kris Gethin) I found on BB.com.

    12-Week Hardcore Daily Trainer With Kris Gethin!

    not sure how much detail you want so I will list my heaviset to give an idea of what I lift

    Squats - 125 lbs (one side) x 6-8 reps without a spotter

    Deadlift with straps - 125 lbs (one side) x 6-8 reps

    Shoulder press - 70 lbs x 6 reps - no help

    Flat Bench press - 70 lbs (one side) x 6 reps - with help, not sure why I don't improve here

    NO CARDIO

    I work in a 130,000 sq ft retail store so I walk around all day - I don't sit for more than 2 hours.
    novastepp likes this.

  20. #1500
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    This is 3 days ago but I can hardly see any definition in relaxed position

    Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101-forumrunner_20151114_230151.jpg
    novastepp likes this.

  21. #1501
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    Hey please let me know if that image is not clear.

    I look smaller, my clothes are not as tight so I am assuming I lost muscle mass - whats the best way to assess LBM?

    I haven't noticed significant difference in loss of strength. I have also stopped taking creative/preworkout.

    I have been very frustrated lately so I have changed my workout several times. Currently, I have decided to stick to 12 week program (Kris Gethin) I found on BB.com.

    12-Week Hardcore Daily Trainer With Kris Gethin!

    not sure how much detail you want so I will list my heaviset to give an idea of what I lift

    Squats - 125 lbs (one side) x 6-8 reps without a spotter

    Deadlift with straps - 125 lbs (one side) x 6-8 reps

    Shoulder press - 70 lbs x 6 reps - no help

    Flat Bench press - 70 lbs (one side) x 6 reps - with help, not sure why I don't improve here

    NO CARDIO

    I work in a 130,000 sq ft retail store so I walk around all day - I don't sit for more than 2 hours.

    I don't care if you follow a plan that was created by someone else, for all to see and use, but you have to tweak it to work for you. So depending on where you are with lifting, you should be seeing results somewhere after a few weeks at least. So I am starting with this post to get more detail about your lifting history. How long have you been training? When was the last time you followed a training protocol for at least 6 weeks straight? Are you changing the rotation of your lifts? Meaning are they always in the same order?

    Looking at maximum lifts or maximum lift sets is not teh best way to assess LBM loss during a cut. Precise body fat calculations are difficult without measures like bod-pods or hydrostatic testing. Calipers can help as an estimate and for most they would be the ideal tool for ongoing assessment. They work because of the trend they will produce; a trend of reduced body fat measurements. So they do not need to be precisely accurate if their variations are the same over time and the loss of body fat trends in your favor.

    If you are trying to maintain lean body mass while reducing body fat, you will still want to progress in lifts, either by assessing volume, or rest intervals, or poundages. This is another reason that I do not prescribe to limiting carbs. They provide a mental boost as well as help improve performance in the gym. Many, including myself, will carb cycle either later in the day or on off days from the gym, but severely restricting carbs is a pretty precise endeavor, imo, and we do not need to consider that at the beginning of a fat loss protocol.

    Let's look at the diet...
    RaginCajun likes this.

  22. #1502
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diet.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	160427
    Meal 1 is fine.

    Meal 2: this is fine, but I will shoot you an ideal too if fat loss stalls and you need a change: Remove the bread and the dressing. If you want to eat both the chicken and tuna, that is fine but use a lower calorie condiment like mustard to mix them together and add green veggies to that. For carbohydrates you would be using the veggies in this meal, so you do not need to limit them.

    Meal 3 is fine.

    Meal 4 is okay, is this pre-workout? If so, you can keep it for now, but again, teh ideal would be to lose the fruit and the bread and incorporate a potato or oats. No need to change dietary protocol just because of a workout, the lean meat with veggies and taters still works.

    Meal 5: PWO? It is fine.

    Meal 6, is this before bed? It is fine.

    Your diet is appropriate, and if the information given is correct your cals are well within the range I would recommend. If you notice much strength loss, then up the pro/carb amounts in meals 1, 2, and 3. I don't know how that would happen if you are not doing cardio, but keep it in mind.

    When you cut, and you do it properly, you need to do it slow. Keeping muscle is as important as losing fat. Eating and maintaining a proper diet will always be easier than lifting heavy ass weights, and its easier on the joints.

  23. #1503
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    This is 3 days ago but I can hardly see any definition in relaxed position

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20151114_230151.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	160430
    You have covered up much of your body. Take some shots of your entire body: front, back, legs, etc. and take some rested and flexed; you do not need to share them unless you want to: I will never judge you.

    You can compare all photos every week or after several weeks to look for progress.

    You have muscle, I can see it, so it should pop when body fat is reduced. Do not compare to anyone. The big guys are bigger and the cut guys are leaner, but who gives a shit. You walk around in your shoes and that's all that matters: YOU. Improve that guy and compare him to old versions of himself only.

  24. #1504
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    9 years ago I hit ~6% body fat and weighed 174, I believe at lightest count. It was my awakening that I could do bodybuilding and that I could improve myself. I was in charge of myself and I had taken control.

    Today I am ~12% body fat and weigh 216. I am bigger and stronger and have made slow, progressive changes over the last 9 and a half years. 42lbs!! and about 27lbs of lean body mass. That excites me!

    My goal is to hit 220-225 at around 12-13% body fat and then reduce my body fat by a few percentage points. So if I hit 225 and 13% body fat, that means my LBM is 195.75. If I maintain that LBM and reduce my body fat, lets say by 3 %... that leaves me at roughly 215 pounds. I will assume some other weight loss, maybe water, maybe some LBM (hopefully as little as possible) and will say my weight should settle around 205-210.

    This is my plan and my goal after the new Year, probably in Late Jan. or Feb.

    Don't rush it. Let it happen with clean eating, work in the gym, and adding cardio as needed. Reassess with any changes both positive and negative.

    You can be great!
    bloodchoke, RaginCajun and tarmyg like this.

  25. #1505
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    9 years ago I hit ~6% body fat and weighed 174, I believe at lightest count. It was my awakening that I could do bodybuilding and that I could improve myself. I was in charge of myself and I had taken control.

    Today I am ~12% body fat and weigh 216. I am bigger and stronger and have made slow, progressive changes over the last 9 and a half years. 42lbs!! and about 27lbs of lean body mass. That excites me!

    My goal is to hit 220-225 at around 12-13% body fat and then reduce my body fat by a few percentage points. So if I hit 225 and 13% body fat, that means my LBM is 195.75. If I maintain that LBM and reduce my body fat, lets say by 3 %... that leaves me at roughly 215 pounds. I will assume some other weight loss, maybe water, maybe some LBM (hopefully as little as possible) and will say my weight should settle around 205-210.

    This is my plan and my goal after the new Year, probably in Late Jan. or Feb.

    Don't rush it. Let it happen with clean eating, work in the gym, and adding cardio as needed. Reassess with any changes both positive and negative.

    You can be great!
    Wow, thanks for taking out time to write such a detailed note and sharing this awesome information about your journey.

    Is that cool if I PM you so I am not high jacking this thread?

    Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    bloodchoke and novastepp like this.

  26. #1506
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked
    Wow, thanks for taking out time to write such a detailed note and sharing this awesome information about your journey. Is that cool if I PM you so I am not high jacking this thread? Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    In here or PM, it doesn't matter to me. I'm just here trying to help!
    RaginCajun likes this.

  27. #1507
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    And I should say it is my goal to begin cutting in Jan-Feb, not being there at that time. I will edit the post.

  28. #1508
    bloodchoke's Avatar
    bloodchoke is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    I'm right behind you..
    Posts
    656
    Solid thread.
    novastepp likes this.

  29. #1509
    Splifton's Avatar
    Splifton is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Between Here And There
    Posts
    330
    Yo yo my man! What are your thoughts if any about dietary hydrogen peroxide intake? If I can remember you had your PhD revolving around nutrition..right? I've read plenty of holistic reviews and scholarly articles, but they were either leaning towards on form of an extreme or just too egnimatic in literary nature.
    novastepp likes this.

  30. #1510
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Splifton
    Yo yo my man! What are your thoughts if any about dietary hydrogen peroxide intake? If I can remember you had your PhD revolving around nutrition..right? I've read plenty of holistic reviews and scholarly articles, but they were either leaning towards on form of an extreme or just too egnimatic in literary nature.
    My education was in health, but in the academic school of informatics, so electronic health records and the application of technology to improve the standard of care. I had minors and papers in pathophysiology and biostatistics, but not nutrition related.

    From what I understand, the literature encourages its use as a mild GI relaxant. I think you have to use specific preps too? Also I'm not sure there is any statistical difference between hydrogen peroxide and other GI relaxants like magnesium and other preps for this specific purpose. You thinking about giving it a try? Maybe log it if you are?

  31. #1511
    Splifton's Avatar
    Splifton is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Between Here And There
    Posts
    330
    Well I'm going on the premise of introducing an oxidative agent into an specific bacterium colony that favors aerobic cellular respiration vs. anaerobic cellular no no's.



    So by using H202 I am introducing a peroxide to my cellular environment that increases oxidative potential. That is basically it plopped on a paper plate. I've read through a few studies already, but it didn't provide the information I was hoping to get.
    Last edited by Splifton; 11-26-2015 at 09:21 PM.
    novastepp likes this.

  32. #1512
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    hey man sorry for the late reply. There was power outage in my store so I had to work some graveyard shifts to rescue all the refrigerated stock - sleep cycle got messed up. Finally everything is back to normal.

    I will keep it here so others can learn from your knowledge.

    So...

    Growing up I was bullied for being skinny so I took Deca and some other stuff (don't even remember) when I was 16-18. I actually don't even remember how many cycles i did - it was pretty retarted, no one had a clue about diet, training, nutrition or PCT. Personal trainers just suggested and sold shit to make money.

    I got into full time masters program so I had no time/money to eat/train/gym membership - I literally deflated like a balloon in less 4-5 months.

    Something pretty strange happened 5-6 years after my last cycle - I think I was around 25. I started feeling lumps under my nipples - painful to the touch. After being on Raloxifene for a year, I ended up getting a surgery. Doctors couldn't figure out why it happened. I think it was coz of steroid abuse but why after so many years? very strange!


    Now that life is stable, I am back to working out. I wanted to look as big as when I was 16 so I eating like a pig in 2015 - gained a lot of dirty weight. Now I hate myself for eating MCD and pizza every night - I hate burgers and pizzas but I still ate to get big.
    novastepp likes this.

  33. #1513
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    I have been following the diet you reviewed - made some more changes 2 days ago.

    I am 179 lbs - BF 17.5% (I bought a scale that measures body fat)

    I have started doing cardio 15 mins a day - will increase it to 20 mins starting today or tomorrow.


    I am seeing improvement but I am being impatient so I am eating

    Calories: 1860
    Carbs: 140gm
    Protien: 279gm
    Fat: 21gm


    I know it's not sustainable so I am testing it out for 4 weeks then I will slowly start increasing my carbs.

    what do you think about this approach?
    novastepp likes this.

  34. #1514
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    This is me today.

    My chest doesnt grow coz of the surgery. No matter what I do it stays flat

    I had more muscle mass when I was 15 (before aas)

    Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101-forumrunner_20151202_141319.jpg
    novastepp likes this.

  35. #1515
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101-screen-shot-2015-12-02-2.29.53-pm.png

    this is what i am planning to do for the next 2-4 weeks. I know it's not sustainable but I can tough it out for a few weeks.

    Please let me know your thoughts.
    novastepp likes this.

  36. #1516
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked View Post
    I have been following the diet you reviewed - made some more changes 2 days ago.

    I am 179 lbs - BF 17.5% (I bought a scale that measures body fat)

    I have started doing cardio 15 mins a day - will increase it to 20 mins starting today or tomorrow.


    I am seeing improvement but I am being impatient so I am eating

    Calories: 1860
    Carbs: 140gm
    Protien: 279gm
    Fat: 21gm


    I know it's not sustainable so I am testing it out for 4 weeks then I will slowly start increasing my carbs.

    what do you think about this approach?
    You have a great look, based off of that pic. Looking strong!

    I want to start over because it seems you haven't complety made up your mind based on your posts; are you cutting or bulking?

    If you are cutting, do not risk your lean muscle on a fast, low-calorie cut! Take it slow. Allow the diet to work for you. It may take a month to start seeing visable results on fat loss, but if you can maintain strength and muscle, you are WINNING!

    People are of the misconception that you must reduce calories to low levels to rid yourself of body fat, and that just isn't true. Eat food, and train hard, and then do some cardio.

    Nark used to reduce his body fat simply by tuning in his diet to a T. Don't crash diet, don't reduce cals too much. Hit your TDEE and increase cardio and continue with your lifts.

    Let me know what your goals are and then let's discuss.

  37. #1517
    somewhatjacked's Avatar
    somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    My goal is to get big without getting fat. I am trying to reduce bf% so I can do my first Test cycle. I was told by senior members I need reduce bf first so here I am trying to lose bf.

    However, I think I can achieve a lot by fixing nutrition alone.

    I did lose a lot of muscle and strength in 4 days I did this 1800 calories diet - damn I was tired and zoned out all the time.

    Thanks again for putting sense into my impatient mind. I am going back to eating 2800 calories starting today.

    I am going to eat clean and be PATIENT.
    novastepp likes this.

  38. #1518
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatjacked
    My goal is to get big without getting fat. I am trying to reduce bf% so I can do my first Test cycle. I was told by senior members I need reduce bf first so here I am trying to lose bf. However, I think I can achieve a lot by fixing nutrition alone. I did lose a lot of muscle and strength in 4 days I did this 1800 calories diet - damn I was tired and zoned out all the time. Thanks again for putting sense into my impatient mind. I am going back to eating 2800 calories starting today. I am going to eat clean and be PATIENT.
    You have an excellent base to jump off of. If it were me, I would reduce your body fat and then pick a training routine and hit it, natural, for 6 weeks, rest a full week, take that routine and increase the volume of sets by 2, and do that for 4 weeks, then rest another week. This would help you grow naturally, and give you an idea where you are in your lifts.

    After this 12 weeks, I would, if still at a relatively low by, consider starting a cycle.

    There is no hurry, and if you can find some sort of plateau in lifts, lower your bf, and prepare yourself mentally, you will see much better results from your cycle.

    Stick the diet.

  39. #1519
    MrFreshmaker's Avatar
    MrFreshmaker is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    529
    Hey Nova
    I have a question for you! I have access to homemade liquid whey! Can that replace whey protein powder?Not in terms of protein maybe,but other benefits?
    novastepp likes this.

  40. #1520
    javajim is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    121
    Hi, I was wondering if I could get a little help on my diet. I have just lost 70 lbs in 9 months and now I want to loose a bit more BF, but I like being at 205 maybe 210 13-15 % bf. I am 57 years old lift 5 days a week for about 1 hr.I also do HIIT on the treadmill for 30 min 5 x a week. I eat very clean I do have a cheat day on Sat. I eat about 2700 cal a day 77 grams fat 219-gram protein 177 grams carbsFree Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101-jim206-345.jpg Thank you in advance
    novastepp likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •