Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 240 of 1630
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

  1. #201
    Sennt is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17
    Ok guys thanks for setting me on the right track. Hows this look for my new diet considering my stats?

    8:00 Meal 1: Pro/Carb
    4 egg white (12 / 0 / 0)
    1 scoop whey (23 / 3 / 2)
    2 wheat slices (10 / 40 / 2)
    45g protein / 43g carb / 4g fat

    12:00 Meal 2: Pro/Fat
    5 oz tuna (30 / 0 / 1)
    2 tbsp natty pb (8 / 6 / 16)
    38g protein / 6g carb / 17g fat


    3:00 Meal 3: Pro/Carb
    5oz tuna (30 / 0 / 1)
    3/4 cup cooked brown rice (3 / 32 / 1)
    Veggies
    33g protein / 32g carb / 2g fat


    6:00 Meal 4: Pro/Carb
    6oz chicken breast (36 / 0 / 4)
    3/4 cup cooked brown rice (3 / 32 / 1)
    Veggies
    39g protein / 32g carb / 5g fat


    Workout

    9:00 Meal 5: PWO
    PWO shake (48 / 60 / 3)
    48g protein / 60g carb / 3g fat


    11:30 Meal 6: Pro/Fat
    2 turkey patties (40 / 0 / 18)
    40g protein / 0g carb / 18g fat


    Totals: 2.1k cals / 243g protein / 173g carb / 49g fat

  2. #202
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nark/nova what are you thoughts on dextrose ? I was thinking about giving it a try

    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=344762

  3. #203
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    To add what Narky said, your body is at an optimal anabolic state when it is in the 10-14% BF range, some even narrow it down to 10-12%. This is one of the two reasons we see more and more, if not all, pro-BB being close to competition shape. Another being that it is much easier to lose ~6% BF versus ~10%BF.
    Agreed.

    Additionally, getting lean seems to establish a set-point.

    Once you've been there, it's easier to get back there.

    -CNS

  4. #204
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sennt View Post
    Ok guys thanks for setting me on the right track. Hows this look for my new diet considering my stats?

    8:00 Meal 1: Pro/Carb
    4 egg white (12 / 0 / 0)
    1 scoop whey (23 / 3 / 2)
    2 wheat slices (10 / 40 / 2)
    45g protein / 43g carb / 4g fat

    12:00 Meal 2: Pro/Fat
    5 oz tuna (30 / 0 / 1)
    2 tbsp natty pb (8 / 6 / 16)
    38g protein / 6g carb / 17g fat


    3:00 Meal 3: Pro/Carb
    5oz tuna (30 / 0 / 1)
    3/4 cup cooked brown rice (3 / 32 / 1)
    Veggies
    33g protein / 32g carb / 2g fat


    6:00 Meal 4: Pro/Carb
    6oz chicken breast (36 / 0 / 4)
    3/4 cup cooked brown rice (3 / 32 / 1)
    Veggies
    39g protein / 32g carb / 5g fat


    Workout

    9:00 Meal 5: PWO
    PWO shake (48 / 60 / 3)
    48g protein / 60g carb / 3g fat


    11:30 Meal 6: Pro/Fat
    2 turkey patties (40 / 0 / 18)
    40g protein / 0g carb / 18g fat


    Totals: 2.1k cals / 243g protein / 173g carb / 49g fat

    Cut the pwo shake in half... and bump the ppwo meal to 10 p.m.

    Remember the role of the pwo shake is to initiate recovery... by curbing catabolism.

    It is a catalyst.. Not the end of the journey.

    Overall the diet looks pretty good.

    I don't like meal 1..and i'm not a fan of some of the other ones.

    But.. it's a decent recomposition diet.

    -CNS

  5. #205
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Nark/nova what are you thoughts on dextrose ? I was thinking about giving it a try

    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=344762
    Not a fan of spiking insulin pwo.

    I believe that's been discussed somewhere else on this thread.

    My dieting style adheres to the precept that insulin is best maintained below a certain threshold.

    So again... I don't like dextrose.

    If you're using a nutrient-partitioning agent like insulin or (to a lesser degree) IGF-1, cool.

    But... my dieting style isn't structured around ergogenic use.

    -CNS

  6. #206
    Prada's Avatar
    Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tampa,Montreal,Paris
    Posts
    4,186
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Agreed.

    Additionally, getting lean seems to establish a set-point.

    Once you've been there, it's easier to get back there.

    -CNS
    Yup, I noticed the hard way.

  7. #207
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey nark can you take a look at this, i am looking for general advise as i don't count macros...yet


    Typical day

    6:00am
    4 eggs (3 yokes) 2 slices whole wheat bread
    Bowl of oats
    Multi
    o mega3 sub

    9:00-30am
    about half cut brown rice
    one chicken breast


    11:00-30
    more rice (half cup)
    chicken breast/or fish

    12:00 Workout
    during i sip dextrose/water (i know u dont like dextrose but im trying it)

    1:00pm
    PWO shake 48g protein
    dextrose (total dextrose during/after is only 40g)

    3:00pm
    chicken
    with carrots
    celery sticks with natty PB (two tablespoons)

    5:30pm
    2 burgers 93%lean with some cheese
    baked beans

    8:00-9:00
    One protein shake 48 grams again

    then bed time.

    i am normally snacking between meals with ether almonds, or sunflower seeds.

    I been reading about cutting carbs once your activity is getting ready to slow down for the day. Normally at 3:00pm i would take in more rice but i figured with all the rice that i have already taken in i should be fine. Now on days where i add cardio i would maybe add another serving of oats/rice an hour or so before.

    What do you think ? Again i know its general cause i am not counting everything but just trying to get an idea of when/what to eat. My mentality with now is always focus protein, add carbs when going to be active, then remove carbs towards end of day.

    27 5'6 cut down to 165lbs.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 05-20-2008 at 08:23 PM.

  8. #208
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Hey nark can you take a look at this, i am looking for general advise as i don't count macros...yet
    Get to counting.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Typical day

    6:00am
    4 eggs (3 yokes) 2 slices whole wheat bread
    Bowl of oats
    Multi
    o mega3 sub
    Too many carbs and fats in one meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    9:00-30am
    about half cut brown rice
    one chicken breast


    11:00-30
    more rice (half cup)
    chicken breast/or fish
    With no knowledge of your macros, I'd say it looks like a decent couple of meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    12:00 Workout
    during i sip dextrose/water (i know u dont like dextrose but im trying it)
    I saw your rationale for doing so on another thread.

    I don't agree with it.

    Especially given your current weight/LBM.

    Overkill.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    1:00pm
    PWO shake 48g protein
    dextrose (total dextrose during/after is only 40g)
    The dex would be better served consumed pwo if the amount consumed in total is the total outlined above.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    3:00pm
    chicken
    with carrots
    celery sticks with natty PB (two tablespoons)

    5:30pm
    2 burgers 93%lean with some cheese
    baked beans

    8:00-9:00
    One protein shake 48 grams again

    then bed time.
    Short critique?

    Your meals are all over the place.

    You're combing concepts...and personally I think the outcome is a mess.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    i am normally snacking between meals with ether almonds, or sunflower seeds.
    Again.. pointless.

    You're eating regularly...and already more fat than you need by my estimate.

    Why then are you exacerbating the situation (and potentially blunting your insulin response and sensitivity) by snacking between meals?

    I do not like the diet at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I been reading about cutting carbs once your activity is getting ready to slow down for the day. Normally at 3:00pm i would take in more rice but i figured with all the rice that i have already taken in i should be fine. Now on days where i add cardio i would maybe add another serving of oats/rice an hour or so before.
    Before you can 'tweak' the diet.. you need to have it laid out in a solid format.

    You do not have such a format.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    What do you think ? Again i know its general cause i am not counting everything but just trying to get an idea of when/what to eat. My mentality with now is always focus protein, add carbs when going to be active, then remove carbs towards end of day.

    27 5'6 cut down to 165lbs.
    My thoughts?

    Don't waste the fat-loss you've achieved by bulking in an erratic manner.

    The diet you outlined falls into that vein.

    -CNS

  9. #209
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    A bowl of oatmeal and 2 slices of bread is too many carbs ?

    What do you mean by my meals are all over the place ?


    Can you sort of recommend certain combos on where i am going wrong.
    I want to get on the ball with this ASAP.

    The chicken breast at cut from the store and there are no macros listed on the package. Its perdue chicken.

    Again thanks for the time and suggestions Nark, I know most people post and don't follow through but i do and i think i am lucky to have people like you willing to devote their time to help other members where they might be lacking.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 05-22-2008 at 05:15 AM.

  10. #210
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    A bowl of oatmeal and 2 slices of bread is too many carbs ?
    You're 165 lbs... bodyfat percentage unlisted.

    To maintain weight you need about 2000 kcals.

    Let's say: 200 gr pro; 200 gr carbs; 45 gr fat.. split over the course of a day... more or less equally over a number of meals.

    a 'bowl' of oatmeal could be anywhere from 30 to 70gr of carbs.

    2 slices of bread supply 25gr.

    3 egg yolks are about 14gr fat...and then both bread and oats add fats as well.

    Clearly in the first meal you're taking in a large percentage of your daily allotment.

    It's a badly planned meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    What do you mean by my meals are all over the place ?
    See above:

    Some meals loaded with carbs and fat, some meals loaded with fat and protein.. some 'lean'.

    Looks like you combined a number of dieting styles like i alluded to.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Can you sort of recommend certain combos on where i am going wrong.
    I want to get on the ball with this ASAP.
    See above and previous posts.

    1. calculate LBM
    2. Calculate TDEE/BMR..so as to establish that you need to intest.
    4. Split your total kcals over the course of the day.
    5. Don't let fats exceed 20% of daily kcal allotment..
    6. Don't let fats drop lower than 15% of daily kcal allotment.



    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    The chicken breast at cut from the store and there are no macros listed on the package. Its perdue chicken.
    No macros listed?

    Get a scale... weigh your foods.

    You know 'what' your chicken is.. but not what's in it...right?

    This is simply recitified...

    Go to calorie-count.com.

    Input: "perdue chicken"

    Voila:

    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/manufacturer/983.html
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/item/85734.html

    etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Again thanks for the time and suggestions Nark, I know most people post and don't follow through but i do and i think i am lucky to have people like you willing to devote their time to help other members where they might be lacking.
    np.

    -CNS
    Last edited by Narkissos; 07-02-2008 at 11:13 PM.

  11. #211
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Nark can you help me out with my diet? I am just coming off a lean bulk and want to drop some body fat without sacrificing my hard earned muscle. Stats: 5’-10”, 206 lbs., about 12-13% bf (estimate, can see abs but I hold a lot of fat around the “love handle” region). My goal is to cut down to 190 lbs. @ 8% bf. Can I achieve my goal by eating at maintenance level and upping the cardio? I figured my maintenance cals to be around 3300. Here’s my diet:

    Food---cals---fat---carbs---protein
    Meal 1: 7:00 am
    Whey protein shake---240---2---6---48
    1 cup Oatmeal----------250---5---45---9
    Totals--------------------490---7---51---57

    Meal 2: 9:00 am
    1 can of tuna------------125---3---1---28
    3 egg whites--------------48---0---0---10
    ˝ cup Oats---------------150---3---27---5
    Totals---------------------323---6---28---39

    Meal 3: 11:00 am
    Grilled Chicken Breast---240---13---2---26
    1 cup Brown Rice---------170---1---35---4
    Broccoli-----------------------30---0---4---1
    Totals------------------------440---14---41---31

    Meal 4: 1:30 pm
    Whey protein shake--------240---2---6---48
    ˝ cup Oats------------------150---3---27---5
    Totals-------------------------390---5---33---53

    Meal 5: (Pre-workout) 3:30 pm
    1 can of tuna----------------125---3---1---28
    3 egg whites------------------48---0---0---9
    1 cup Oatmeal--------------300---6---50---10
    Totals-------------------------473---9---51---47

    Workout: 4:30-6:00 (including cardio)

    Meal 6: (PWO) 6:00 pm
    PWO Shake w/--------------486---2---66---48
    Whey and WMS

    Meal 7: 7:30 pm
    8 oz. Talapia-----------------200---2---0---42
    Swt. Potato-------------------215---2---44---5
    Broccoli-----------------------30---0---4---1
    Totals-------------------------445---4---48---48

    Meal 8: 10:00 pm
    Bedtime Shake w/------------360---9---9---48
    Casein, 1/2 cup cottage Cheese, 1 tbls. Natty PB

    Grand Total----------------------3407---56---327---371
    Fat = 16%
    Protein = 44%
    Carbs = 40%

  12. #212
    xlxBigSexyxlx's Avatar
    xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13,966
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hey Nark/Nova: Currently I'm 200lbs, 5'11'', probably 15-17% BF

    Due to some recent setbacks (Pm'ed you Nark), my diet has gone out of whack. Im looking just to eat clean and healthy, and shed a few pounds, so I guess you can say Im cutting. My macros will follow as (Cals,F,C,P), respectively being (Calories, Fats, Carbs, Protein). I will leave the supplements out until the end.

    Meal 1
    -pack of oatmeal........................................... ...(100,2,15,4)
    -fruit/egg smoothie (blueberries,raspberries,egg beaters,milk)..................................... ..............(370,0,42,35)
    TOTALS: (470,2,57,39)

    Meal 2
    -28 almonds............(160,14,3,6)
    -1 oz beef jerky.......(80,.5,5,14)
    TOTALS: (240,14.5,8,20)

    Meal 3
    -chicken breast....(120,3,0,22)
    -veggies
    TOTALS: (120,3,0,22)

    PWO: consisting of WMS, orange juice, and ON's Pro Complex
    TOTALS: (610,.5,90,62)

    Meal 5
    -lean beef patty.........(180,10,0,23)
    -1cup Kashi go lean....(140,1,20,13)
    -veggies
    TOTALS: (320,11,20,36)

    Meal 6
    -MHP's Probolic-SR......(260,8,6,40)
    -2 tbsp flax oil...........(260,28,0,0)
    -8 oz skim milk.........(80,0,12,8)
    TOTALS: (600,36,18,48)

    From what I calculated, I want to take in about 2,400-2,500 calories.
    The day totals come out to be (2360,67,193,227)

    Im thinking I might need 200 or so more calories, but I don't know of what or where to put them.

    This also, comes to 29 grams of fiber, plus whatever the veggies give me.

    I will be drinking 1.5 gallons everyday

    Supplements:
    -Lipoflame
    -GNC Mega Men Multi
    -Glutamine
    -BCAAs
    -Liquid Aminos
    -RALA (before my carb meals)

    Well, there it is. I might be missing something, but I tried hitting it all. Critique away!!!!

    Thanks guys
    Last edited by xlxBigSexyxlx; 05-22-2008 at 04:28 PM.

  13. #213
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nark,

    I am going to start counting macros starting now and will post a new diet up after i get all my info needed. Also going to get LBM checked tomorrow at the gym to get an idea at where i am.


    Now onto the carbs. I take most of my carbs during the day because i am active at work, then go to the gym on my lunch break then return right back to work being active again. I know the more active i am the more calories i should be taking in (i am a "hard gainer" to begin with). When it comes to taking carbs for my pre workout i guess an eating complex carbs (brown rice) and hour before should carry over into my workout correct ? Then after the workout should i ingest more complex carbs ?

    I been trying the dextrose thing but something doesnt seem right with adding all this sugar so i am giving it up.

    and do you believe in post post carbs ?

    (u need a write up)
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 05-22-2008 at 06:26 PM.

  14. #214
    VERA82 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6

    hey narc

    HI Nark, great thread.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    I would like some crtiques on my diet/goals.

    Stats- 5"10, 185 lbs, 18% bodyfat
    Goals-11% body fat with minimal muscle loss
    Activity- weight training 4x week cardio 5x week ( empty stomach)




    BMR 1930.75
    TARGET ???? -500 to cut???


    20 min Cardio (emty stomach) approx 200 kcal spent

    Kcal Pro Carb Fat
    1 180 Grams Egg Beaters 90 18 3 0
    3 Sausage Links 170 7 1 14
    Water 0 0 0 0
    Total 260 25 4 14

    2 175g Chicken Breast 6 oz 240.4 52 0 3
    Mixed Vegetables(1 cup) 30 1 5 0
    Water
    Total 270.4 53 5 3

    3 2 Tbsp Nat Peanut Butter 200 9 6 9
    1/2 cup of Oats 150 5 27 3
    Water
    Total 350 14 33 12

    WORKOUT******************************************* ********

    4 2 Scoops Whey Protein 240 46 7 3
    1 orange 62 1.2 15.4 0
    8oz gatorade 55 0 14 0
    Total 357 47.2 36.4 3

    5 Steak 6 oz 266 35 0 14
    Mixed Vegetables(1 cup) 30 1 5 0
    Water
    Total 296 36 5 14


    Totals Kcal Pro Carb Fat
    1533.4 175.2 83.4 46

  15. #215
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Where you at Nark?

  16. #216
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Right here.

    I have some clients who're mid-contest prep at the moment... So i haven't been able to respond to the last couple diets posted.

    I must remind posters that this is an advice thread... as opposed to a 'give me a new diet' thread.

    Note the difference...and bear with me.

    -Narkissos

  17. #217
    Pinnacle's Avatar
    Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Yes,those are my legs
    Posts
    4,540
    Who the f*ck is Novastepp?

    Nice of you to have this thread C.



    (Marketing) :-)

  18. #218
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Who the f*ck is Novastepp?

    Nice of you to have this thread C.



    (Marketing) :-)
    Thanks B

    -C

  19. #219
    gettingBIGGERfast is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    300
    When supplementing chromium, how much should be taken and when???

    BTW, nice work Nark and Nova. Keep it up

  20. #220
    gettingBIGGERfast is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    300
    Also...

    I know I'm off topic here, but I was reading a post of yours (Nark) from 2005 about you cycling theories (perpetual cycling). In another post, which had a link to said post, you stated that you would later revise your theory and put it into practice to test its applicability. Just curious if this ever happened and if there was a post with your revisions and results.

    peace

  21. #221
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Nark can you help me out with my diet?
    I'll try.

    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    I am just coming off a lean bulk and want to drop some body fat without sacrificing my hard earned muscle. Stats: 5’-10”, 206 lbs., about 12-13% bf (estimate, can see abs but I hold a lot of fat around the “love handle” region). My goal is to cut down to 190 lbs. @ 8% bf.
    Noted.

    1. 13% BF puts you at 180 lbs LBM... and it is THIS figure which should be the basis of your BMR calculations.

    2. Guesstimating is like shooting yourself in the foot.. unless you have a lot of practice taking bodyfat percentages for other people and yourself.

    Most people tend to underestimate how much fat they're carrying.

    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Can I achieve my goal by eating at maintenance level and upping the cardio?
    To a point.. Yes.

    Development/Progress isn't linear however... So eventually you'll plateau.

    At this point, you'll have to manipulate one variable or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    I figured my maintenance cals to be around 3300.
    Based on what?

    Unless your activity is particularly high, I'd estimate your maintenance to be right around 2500 kcals.

    Please supply information to support your estimation.

    Seeing that I think your calories are too high... I'll only comment on the meal composition.. as opposed to the kcal count

    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Here’s my diet:

    Food---cals---fat---carbs---protein
    Meal 1: 7:00 am
    Whey protein shake---240---2---6---48
    1 cup Oatmeal----------250---5---45---9
    Totals--------------------490---7---51---57



    Meal 2: 9:00 am
    1 can of tuna------------125---3---1---28
    3 egg whites--------------48---0---0---10
    ˝ cup Oats---------------150---3---27---5
    Totals---------------------323---6---28---39

    Meal 3: 11:00 am
    Grilled Chicken Breast---240---13---2---26
    1 cup Brown Rice---------170---1---35---4
    Broccoli-----------------------30---0---4---1
    Totals------------------------440---14---41---31

    Meal 4: 1:30 pm
    Whey protein shake--------240---2---6---48
    ˝ cup Oats------------------150---3---27---5
    Totals-------------------------390---5---33---53

    Meal 5: (Pre-workout) 3:30 pm
    1 can of tuna----------------125---3---1---28
    3 egg whites------------------48---0---0---9
    1 cup Oatmeal--------------300---6---50---10
    Totals-------------------------473---9---51---47

    Workout: 4:30-6:00 (including cardio)

    Meal 6: (PWO) 6:00 pm
    PWO Shake w/--------------486---2---66---48
    Whey and WMS

    Meal 7: 7:30 pm
    8 oz. Talapia-----------------200---2---0---42
    Swt. Potato-------------------215---2---44---5
    Broccoli-----------------------30---0---4---1
    Totals-------------------------445---4---48---48

    Meal 8: 10:00 pm
    Bedtime Shake w/------------360---9---9---48
    Casein, 1/2 cup cottage Cheese, 1 tbls. Natty PB

    Grand Total----------------------3407---56---327---371
    Fat = 16%
    Protein = 44%
    Carbs = 40%
    The good:

    1. Good food choices.
    2. Decent ratios.


    The not-so-good:

    1. Calories are spread unequally.



    Now my thoughts.

    If you kept to this diet... and bumped cardio, you'd get a recomposition effect.

    Ultimately you'd plateau however..and would have to lower calories to get fat loss going again.

    Overall... solid 'lean bulking' diet... or recomposition diet.

    Try it for 6-8 weeks... then modify it.

    -CNS

  22. #222
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Hey Nark/Nova: Currently I'm 200lbs, 5'11'', probably 15-17% BF
    'Probably' is a bad word in these here parts mate

    Get 'er tested...and get back to us ASAP.

    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Due to some recent setbacks (Pm'ed you Nark), my diet has gone out of whack.
    Got the PM.. Sorry i didn't get back to you on it.

    Been tied up with applying my hell week protocol (the template for shredding a client up during the last week of his contest prep) to a client of mine. It's been a fun ride... Well, for me at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Im looking just to eat clean and healthy, and shed a few pounds, so I guess you can say Im cutting.
    Another bad word... Sureties mate...that's what we're about.

    Ok... I say you're cutting, so I'll disregard the rest of the paragraph and get down to the meat of the matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    My macros will follow as (Cals,F,C,P), respectively being (Calories, Fats, Carbs, Protein). I will leave the supplements out until the end.

    Meal 1
    -pack of oatmeal........................................... ...(100,2,15,4)
    -fruit/egg smoothie (blueberries,raspberries,egg beaters,milk)..................................... ..............(370,0,42,35)
    TOTALS: (470,2,57,39)

    Meal 2
    -28 almonds............(160,14,3,6)
    -1 oz beef jerky.......(80,.5,5,14)
    TOTALS: (240,14.5,8,20)

    Meal 3
    -chicken breast....(120,3,0,22)
    -veggies
    TOTALS: (120,3,0,22)

    PWO: consisting of WMS, orange juice, and ON's Pro Complex
    TOTALS: (610,.5,90,62)

    Meal 5
    -lean beef patty.........(180,10,0,23)
    -1cup Kashi go lean....(140,1,20,13)
    -veggies
    TOTALS: (320,11,20,36)

    Meal 6
    -MHP's Probolic-SR......(260,8,6,40)
    -2 tbsp flax oil...........(260,28,0,0)
    -8 oz skim milk.........(80,0,12,8)
    TOTALS: (600,36,18,48)

    From what I calculated, I want to take in about 2,400-2,500 calories.
    The day totals come out to be (2360,67,193,227)

    Im thinking I might need 200 or so more calories, but I don't know of what or where to put them.

    This also, comes to 29 grams of fiber, plus whatever the veggies give me.

    I will be drinking 1.5 gallons everyday

    Supplements:
    -Lipoflame
    -GNC Mega Men Multi
    -Glutamine
    -BCAAs
    -Liquid Aminos
    -RALA (before my carb meals)

    Well, there it is. I might be missing something, but I tried hitting it all. Critique away!!!!

    Thanks guys

    Ok... The kcals are about right.

    Please note that @ 200 lbs and 17% BF.. your LBM is 166 lbs or thereabout.

    Back to your diet:

    1. total fat is too high. You're at 26% of calories at present... drop that down to 20%

    2. You aren't noting the vegetable portion size, or the carbs/kcals they contribute. This'll throw your totals.

    3. I suspect your diet, as it is laid out, is high in sugar.
    Not counting PWO, meals 1,2,5 and 6 all contain sources of sugar.

    4. Milk should not be in a cutting diet.


    Again, a decent recomposition diet... Relaxed...not too intensive.

    Toss some cardio in there.. plus a GDA, and you've got something that could work for about 6 weeks.

    -CNS

  23. #223
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Nark,
    Hey buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I am going to start counting macros starting now and will post a new diet up after i get all my info needed. Also going to get LBM checked tomorrow at the gym to get an idea at where i am.
    Great.. bump for the verdict!

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Now onto the carbs. I take most of my carbs during the day because i am active at work, then go to the gym on my lunch break then return right back to work being active again.
    Noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I know the more active i am the more calories i should be taking in (i am a "hard gainer" to begin with).
    Yep...to a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    When it comes to taking carbs for my pre workout i guess an eating complex carbs (brown rice) and hour before should carry over into my workout correct ?
    That depends on the nature of the complex carb...as well as what else is ingested alongside it.

    The short answer would be 'no' however...or rather 'not entirely'.

    If you were to say take in boiled white potatoes (no protein nor fat added) an hour before working out.. yea it'd carry over.I've experienced this first hand as have my clients. (particularly those who are on carb-timing diets)

    However, add a protein or fat source (or combination of both) to that meal and while gastric emptying would be delayed only slightly, this'd be enough to slow assimilation and utilization.

    So to your question... While the meal you have pre-workout will have some effect, it will not be as pronounced as say the same amount of carbs spread over 2-3 meals prior to training.

    You get what I'm saying?

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post

    Then after the workout should i ingest more complex carbs ?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I been trying the dextrose thing but something doesnt seem right with adding all this sugar so i am giving it up.
    Good stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    and do you believe in post post carbs ?
    Yep.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    (u need a write up)

    Of what nature?

    -C

  24. #224
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post
    HI Nark, great thread.
    Thanks mate.

    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Will try.

    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post
    I would like some crtiques on my diet/goals.

    Stats- 5"10, 185 lbs, 18% bodyfat
    Goals-11% body fat with minimal muscle loss
    Activity- weight training 4x week cardio 5x week ( empty stomach)
    Noted.

    <>150 lbs LBM

    Goals: 170 lbs w/ 11% bf (i.e. <> 150 lbs LBM)

    kcals re-adjusted for desired bodyweight.


    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post

    BMR 1930.75
    TARGET ???? -500 to cut???
    1. Maintenance adjusted to: 2040

    2. Manipulate expenditure.


    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post
    20 min Cardio (emty stomach) approx 200 kcal spent
    Bump to 45 minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post

    Kcal Pro Carb Fat
    1 180 Grams Egg Beaters 90 18 3 0
    3 Sausage Links 170 7 1 14
    Water 0 0 0 0
    Total 260 25 4 14

    2 175g Chicken Breast 6 oz 240.4 52 0 3
    Mixed Vegetables(1 cup) 30 1 5 0
    Water
    Total 270.4 53 5 3

    3 2 Tbsp Nat Peanut Butter 200 9 6 9
    1/2 cup of Oats 150 5 27 3
    Water
    Total 350 14 33 12

    WORKOUT******************************************* ********

    4 2 Scoops Whey Protein 240 46 7 3
    1 orange 62 1.2 15.4 0
    8oz gatorade 55 0 14 0
    Total 357 47.2 36.4 3

    5 Steak 6 oz 266 35 0 14
    Mixed Vegetables(1 cup) 30 1 5 0
    Water
    Total 296 36 5 14


    Totals Kcal Pro Carb Fat
    1533.4 175.2 83.4 46

    1. Kcals too low. Seeing that you're averaging about 300kcals/meal, it'd take two more meals to meet your kcal requirements.

    2. Too much protein in some meals.. not enough in others.

    3. too much fat in some meals.

    4. Think consistent supply... Spread your kcals and macros equally over the course of the day.


    -CNS

  25. #225
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingBIGGERfast View Post
    When supplementing chromium, how much should be taken and when???
    That'd depend on the purpose for taking it, as well as the training/eating phase you're in...

    For carb loads: 200 mcg + 40 mg Vanadyl sulphate @ each carb-containing meal.

    For cutting: 200 mcg + 100 mg B-complex @ every other meal. (starting at meal 3... as meal 1 will normally be taken with a multivitamin. Generally multis contain 100 mcg chromium + b-complex)

    For cheat meals: 1000 mcg chromium w/ cheat meal.

    Off-season: 200 mcg chromium + 2-3gr vitamin C pwo.

    Carb-cycling: 200 mcg chromium w/ every meal

    Carb-depletion: 200 mcg chromium w/ every meal

    That's off the top of my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by gettingBIGGERfast View Post
    BTW, nice work Nark and Nova. Keep it up
    Thanks mate.

    Quote Originally Posted by gettingBIGGERfast View Post
    Also...

    I know I'm off topic here, but I was reading a post of yours (Nark) from 2005 about you cycling theories (perpetual cycling). In another post, which had a link to said post, you stated that you would later revise your theory and put it into practice to test its applicability. Just curious if this ever happened and if there was a post with your revisions and results.

    peace

    Ah... This post surprised the hell out of me.

    I had to do a double-take at your registration date...because that's an old, old hypothesis.

    Interesting enough, I'm running a similar experiment at present.

    ...and will be for another year probably.

    Send me a friend request so that the system allows you to PM me...and we can talk in more detail via PM or email.

    -CNS

  26. #226
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cal / PRO / CARBS / FATS


    6:00am
    4 eggs (1 yoke) 118 / 16.8 / 1.6 / 4.8
    oatmeal (1/2 cup) 150 / 5 / 27 / 3
    Flaxseed oil sub
    mutli


    8:30am
    6oz chicken breast 180/ 33 / 1.5 / 3.75
    carrots (2) 70 / 2 / 8 / 0

    10:30-11
    6oz chicken breast 180/ 33 / 1.5 / 3.75
    brown rice half cup 150 / 5 / 27 / 3


    workout

    1:00-
    PWO
    6oz chicken breast 180/ 33 / 1.5 / 3.75
    brown rice (1/4 cup) 170 / 4 / 35 / 1.5

    3:00pm
    1 chicken breast 120 / 22 / 1 / 2.5
    Olive oil 1 Tbsp 120 / 0 / 0 / 14
    celery (2) 38 / .16 / 7.2 / .4

    5:30pm
    4oz tilapia fillet -baked 93 / 21 / 0 / 1
    veggies.



    8:30pm
    Shake (1 scoop ) 117 / 24 / 2 / 2
    Olive oil 1 Tbsp 120 / 0 / 0 / 14

    BED

    So then for a average day i have
    Cal pro / carbs /fats
    1768/ 215 / 106 / 57

    chicken will be sub with lean ground beef and/or turkey. Can't have chicken that often everyday.

    Also thanks to pinn for help.

  27. #227
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post

    Based on what?

    Unless your activity is particularly high, I'd estimate your maintenance to be right around 2500 kcals.

    Please supply information to support your estimation.

    -CNS
    To obtain my maintenance calories I used the Katch-McArdle formula, which I believe you suggested in an earlier post.
    Formula: BMR = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg), based on a LBM of 180 lbs = 82 kg
    = 370 + (21.6 X 82)
    = 2141.20
    I have a desk job but I lift weights 5 days a week and perform cardio PWO 4 days a week. Which I believe would put me moderately active = 1.55 (multiplier)
    So… 2141.20 X 1.55 = 3318 cals
    Nark, is my math off? How did you get my maintenance cals to be 2500 cals?
    I am going to work on spreading my cals more evenly once I am certain what my maintenance cals are. Nark, thank you for taking the time to post this thread and helping everyone out!

  28. #228
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    To obtain my maintenance calories I used the Katch-McArdle formula, which I believe you suggested in an earlier post.
    Formula: BMR = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg), based on a LBM of 180 lbs = 82 kg
    = 370 + (21.6 X 82)
    = 2141.20
    I have a desk job but I lift weights 5 days a week and perform cardio PWO 4 days a week. Which I believe would put me moderately active = 1.55 (multiplier)
    So… 2141.20 X 1.55 = 3318 cals
    Nark, is my math off? How did you get my maintenance cals to be 2500 cals?
    I am going to work on spreading my cals more evenly once I am certain what my maintenance cals are. Nark, thank you for taking the time to post this thread and helping everyone out!
    Your math isn't 'off'... I work with a <>20% caloric reduction on calculated TDEE while cutting.

    Higher than BMR... but lower than TDEE.

    -CNS

  29. #229
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Looks good overall... Slightly low in calories.

    Optimally, 1980kcals should be your average per day for the week.

    You have one of two options.

    You can bump your diet's kcals on a daily basis... Or you can add in a high carb (all low glycemic) low-fat refeed once per week.



    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Cal / PRO / CARBS / FATS


    6:00am
    4 eggs (1 yoke) 118 / 16.8 / 1.6 / 4.8
    oatmeal (1/2 cup) 150 / 5 / 27 / 3
    Flaxseed oil sub
    mutli


    8:30am
    6oz chicken breast 180/ 33 / 1.5 / 3.75
    carrots (2) 70 / 2 / 8 / 0

    10:30-11
    6oz chicken breast 180/ 33 / 1.5 / 3.75
    brown rice half cup 150 / 5 / 27 / 3


    workout

    1:00-
    PWO
    6oz chicken breast 180/ 33 / 1.5 / 3.75
    brown rice (1/4 cup) 170 / 4 / 35 / 1.5

    3:00pm
    1 chicken breast 120 / 22 / 1 / 2.5
    Olive oil 1 Tbsp 120 / 0 / 0 / 14
    celery (2) 38 / .16 / 7.2 / .4

    5:30pm
    4oz tilapia fillet -baked 93 / 21 / 0 / 1
    veggies.



    8:30pm
    Shake (1 scoop ) 117 / 24 / 2 / 2
    Olive oil 1 Tbsp 120 / 0 / 0 / 14

    BED

    So then for a average day i have
    Cal pro / carbs /fats
    1768/ 215 / 106 / 57

    chicken will be sub with lean ground beef and/or turkey. Can't have chicken that often everyday.

    Also thanks to pinn for help.
    Good to have B around again

    -CNS

  30. #230
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Your math isn't 'off'... I work with a <>20% caloric reduction on calculated TDEE while cutting.

    Higher than BMR... but lower than TDEE.

    -CNS
    That being said, in your opinion what would be my optimal caloric intake for cutting while retaining muscle mass? Thanks Nark, you the man

  31. #231
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Looks good overall... Slightly low in calories.

    Optimally, 1980kcals should be your average per day for the week.

    You have one of two options.

    You can bump your diet's kcals on a daily basis... Or you can add in a high carb (all low glycemic) low-fat refeed once per week.





    Good to have B around again

    -CNS
    I agree the cals are a little low and i am going to find ways to work more in. Would natty PB be a good snack ? Couple Tbsp's here and there (not going over board of course)? That PB taste so good i could eat it every day ! haha

    Peanut Butter 2 Tbsp.
    210 / 8 / 6 / 16

    I got my BF checked but the gym no longer has body calipers they use them stupid handheld devices. It stated i was at 14% bf and said i was fat lol.


    Or you can add in a high carb (all low glycemic) low-fat refeed once per week. ? maybe i am not reading this correctly, example ?
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 05-28-2008 at 06:10 PM.

  32. #232
    VERA82 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6

    Thumbs up

    Thanks, Nark.

    I really appreciate your help.

    Alan

  33. #233
    xlxBigSexyxlx's Avatar
    xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13,966
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post

    Been tied up with applying my hell week protocol (the template for shredding a client up during the last week of his contest prep) to a client of mine. It's been a fun ride... Well, for me at least.

    Interesting, what is this hell week protocol? If I may ask.

    Ok... The kcals are about right.

    Please note that @ 200 lbs and 17% BF.. your LBM is 166 lbs or thereabout.

    Back to your diet:

    1. total fat is too high. You're at 26% of calories at present... drop that down to 20%

    Alrighty

    2. You aren't noting the vegetable portion size, or the carbs/kcals they contribute. This'll throw your totals.

    3. I suspect your diet, as it is laid out, is high in sugar.
    Not counting PWO, meals 1,2,5 and 6 all contain sources of sugar.

    How much sugar is too much? Also, if its fruit sugar, wouldn't that be okay? I just feel the nutrients from fruits are too good to pass up. Whats your take?

    4. Milk should not be in a cutting diet.


    Again, a decent recomposition diet... Relaxed...not too intensive.

    Toss some cardio in there.. plus a GDA, and you've got something that could work for about 6 weeks.

    I understand everything your saying, but I just want to reiterate that Im not really trying to hit everything exactly on spot. Im mainly just trying to get back on track right now. Because compared to my diet a week ago, I already feel better overall.

    -CNS
    Thanks. See Bold

  34. #234
    Deltasaurus's Avatar
    Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tryin to get Abs
    Posts
    3,353
    I was told to post this here im 20 5'9 190 and probally 14-18% body fat i want to get really cut up im happy with my muscle size except chest i would like to get to 6-10 percent bodyfat if thats even possible also i have no gear experince and asking you guys because so far i have found you all the most knowledgeable on the bodybuilding/fitness athletic subject thanks

    my daily sample diet

    meal 1-some oatmeal w/ 1% mile and a scoop of whey

    snack 1-some fruit and almonds or peice of chick breast with some cheese

    meal 2-a shke with no-fat no sugar yogurt with 1% milk ice some whey and a little juice no HF corn syrup or like a sammy with no mayo on whole wheat or something like that

    snack 2-2 corn tortillas with some black beans and chicken or egg whites

    post gym snack-scoop of whey with big apple

    gym 7-9:30 doing 20-30 mins of cardio after wieghts on stationary bike hr 140-150

    PWO snack-2 scoops of whey with fruit juice

    b4 bedtime-cottage cheese with pepper, i try to eat every 2 or 2 and half hours

  35. #235
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    I was told to post this here im 20 5'9 190 and probally 14-18% body fat i want to get really cut up im happy with my muscle size except chest i would like to get to 6-10 percent bodyfat if thats even possible also i have no gear experince and asking you guys because so far i have found you all the most knowledgeable on the bodybuilding/fitness athletic subject thanks

    my daily sample diet

    meal 1-some oatmeal w/ 1% mile and a scoop of whey

    snack 1-some fruit and almonds or peice of chick breast with some cheese

    meal 2-a shke with no-fat no sugar yogurt with 1% milk ice some whey and a little juice no HF corn syrup or like a sammy with no mayo on whole wheat or something like that

    snack 2-2 corn tortillas with some black beans and chicken or egg whites

    post gym snack-scoop of whey with big apple

    gym 7-9:30 doing 20-30 mins of cardio after wieghts on stationary bike hr 140-150

    PWO snack-2 scoops of whey with fruit juice

    b4 bedtime-cottage cheese with pepper, i try to eat every 2 or 2 and half hours
    They are going to need macros (cal /carbs /pro /fats)
    It sucks but it has to be done

  36. #236
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    That being said, in your opinion what would be my optimal caloric intake for cutting while retaining muscle mass? Thanks Nark, you the man
    Based on your stats etc. I'd go with 2500kcals.

    Good luck mate.

    Re-post your updated diet when you compile it.

    -CNS

    p.s. You can use the higher kcal total on your re-feed day/days. I'd schedule 'em the day before a heavy leg or back session.

  37. #237
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I agree the cals are a little low and i am going to find ways to work more in. Would natty PB be a good snack ? Couple Tbsp's here and there (not going over board of course)? That PB taste so good i could eat it every day ! haha

    Peanut Butter 2 Tbsp.
    210 / 8 / 6 / 16
    2 tbsp to your 5:30 p.m. meal would cover it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I got my BF checked but the gym no longer has body calipers they use them stupid handheld devices. It stated i was at 14% bf and said i was fat lol.
    Is there another gym nearby?

    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by narkissos
    Or you can add in a high carb (all low glycemic) low-fat refeed once per week. ?
    maybe i am not reading this correctly, example ?
    i.e. Adhere to the lower calorie approach for 6 days...and on the 7th day, carb-load.

    So.. say at 165 lbs.. you've been cutting @ 1980 KCALs (w/ an actual maintenance of: 2475kcals).. you'd consume between 2475-2805 kcals on your re-feed day.

    Very low fat... moderate protein.. high carbs.

    400 gr carbs; 200 gr protein; <>50 gr fat... for example.

    ^^Split evenly over the course of the day.

    -CNS

  38. #238
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VERA82 View Post
    Thanks, Nark.

    I really appreciate your help.

    Alan
    np mate


    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    They are going to need macros (cal /carbs /pro /fats)
    It sucks but it has to be done

    Agreed.

    Additionally, it would be best if an actual bodyfat reading was supplied...as opposed to a guesstimate.

    -CNS

  39. #239
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Almost missed your questions:

    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Interesting, what is this hell week protocol? If I may ask.
    I'll try to answer this without going into too much detail

    Hell week is a misnomer...as the actual 'week' is actually 2 weeks.

    The days run into each other...and clients feel like death tru-out, so they really can't tell when one day ends and the other begins lol.

    Hell week is my peak-conditioning template.

    After a client goes tru the multiple phases of my contest preps, they're more or less shredded.

    Hell week is yet another (bi-phasic) stage which serves to bring out that stage-ready condition.

    Training borders on over-training...as does cardio.

    The diet is ultra-depletive...so as to facilitate glycogen supercompensation during the carb-loading phase.

    Training and cardio are changed in the second week as well...

    Sodium/potassium/carbs/fat/water as well.

    At the end of it, the client looks better than he/she has ever looked.

    They also hate me for a couple days/weeks after.

    Then they get over it...and we repeat the offseason phases.

    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    How much sugar is too much? Also, if its fruit sugar, wouldn't that be okay? I just feel the nutrients from fruits are too good to pass up. Whats your take?
    I'm not comfortable answering the underlined question.

    I'll tell you why:

    1. everyone's different.
    2. everyone starts at a different level of conditioning.
    3. goals differ across the board.

    That being said, I'm generally comfortable advising that people leave fruits out until they're at a manageable bodyfat level.

    That.. and until they cut out grain sources of carbohydrates as well as processed carbs in general.

    Leaving the latter concept alone, I'll address the former.

    Someone who is already lean is less likely to put on fat from these sources.

    Someone who isn't however, will get fat.

    Being fat isn't a 'natural' or 'healthy' state... A lot of our signals get crossed.

    Needless to say, this reiterates my point: if you're lean already, some things are acceptable... If you aren't, don't fool yourself.

    The health benefits of fruits you can derive from vegetables.

    So... I advise that most adhere to vegetable choices.

    It's a much simpler variable to manipulate when you aren't absolutely shredded.


    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I understand everything your saying, but I just want to reiterate that Im not really trying to hit everything exactly on spot. Im mainly just trying to get back on track right now. Because compared to my diet a week ago, I already feel better overall.

    Understood.

    I wish you continued good luck

    -CNS

  40. #240
    Narkissos's Avatar
    Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    20,744
    Blog Entries
    5
    Don't forget to rate this thread guys

    -CNS

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •