Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    maybe try cooking them too; relieves that bland flavor. and the cinnamon + splenda trick is good stuff
    Well is there a huge difference in the flavor and digestion of rolled and steel cut oats? I've been using rolled and making oatmeal out of it.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    Well is there a huge difference in the flavor and digestion of rolled and steel cut oats? I've been using rolled and making oatmeal out of it.
    i think there may be slight GI differences, but cooking them lowers the gI a little more anyway. SO i don't see the problem. thats an extremely minor change if any...

i think there may be slight GI differences, but cooking them lowers the gI a little more anyway. SO i don't see the problem. thats an extremely minor change if any...
    Thanks

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Nova Your The MAN!!!!

For breakfast today I had 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 eggs w/ yolks and a sausage and drizzled olive oil over it. I am still cutting but I won't be able to eat a solid meal for hours (7+) and will rely on legumes (peanuts) to hold me over. Is that ok?

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Alright, I've got a really good friend that just got a membership to my gym, I want to put him in the right direction.

When he got back home from Iraq, he was in pretty good shape, well a wife and kid later, here are his stats:

240lbs
    6'0
    20-23% BF
    25y/o

I want to help him lean out and drop the BF asap without killing him. What is the best way to start him out? Also, if you know of a good sample diet for his stats you can link me to, that would be great. Today was his first day, I put him thru a full body 2 sets(1 lite, 1 medium) 7 compound exercises. Then got him on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

I feel like I know enough, but he's a good friend, hell one of my best friends and i'd like to make sure I put him in the right direction.

*edit* On a side note, the reason i'm coming here for advise, is all of my study of fitness in the past has been on just bulking and trying to add weight, so i'm kinda uneducated on the best options for getting rid of a high bf. Thanks again fellas~~

Thanks for any help guys.
    Last edited by xnotoriousx; 02-16-2009 at 05:19 PM.

For breakfast today I had 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 eggs w/ yolks and a sausage and drizzled olive oil over it. I am still cutting but I won't be able to eat a solid meal for hours (7+) and will rely on legumes (peanuts) to hold me over. Is that ok?
    explain to me why you chose that meal, and why you can't eat for 7+ hours. sometimes we overlook things.

Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    Alright, I've got a really good friend that just got a membership to my gym, I want to put him in the right direction.

When he got back home from Iraq, he was in pretty good shape, well a wife and kid later, here are his stats:

240lbs
    6'0
    20-23% BF
    25y/o

I want to help him lean out and drop the BF asap without killing him. What is the best way to start him out? Also, if you know of a good sample diet for his stats you can link me to, that would be great. Today was his first day, I put him thru a full body 2 sets(1 lite, 1 medium) 7 compound exercises. Then got him on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

I feel like I know enough, but he's a good friend, hell one of my best friends and i'd like to make sure I put him in the right direction.

*edit* On a side note, the reason i'm coming here for advise, is all of my study of fitness in the past has been on just bulking and trying to add weight, so i'm kinda uneducated on the best options for getting rid of a high bf. Thanks again fellas~~

Thanks for any help guys.
    I think that he needs a routine. set him up and get him eating clean. the specifics arent as important as the lifestyle switch. once he is used to training and eating continuously, then we can tweak food choices and other options. but no reason to start him on a competitive diet schema. chicken potatoes beef oats, skim milk, cottage cheese, eggs, fruit, vegetables. get him to eat a meal containing 2-3 of those items, 5-6 times a day. have him start regulating his calorie intake as well. have him shoot for a little over 3000k cals for now. see if he drops consistently. again, help him transition into the lifestyle, then refine his approach after a few, highly dedicated weeks or months.

explain to me why you chose that meal, and why you can't eat for 7+ hours. sometimes we overlook things.
    oats for carbs in morning, 2 eggs for some protein, same w/ sausage and added olive oil for some calories to hold me over and to slow digestion. I'm at work all day and it ended up doing this today due to my poor planning.

I think that he needs a routine. set him up and get him eating clean. the specifics arent as important as the lifestyle switch. once he is used to training and eating continuously, then we can tweak food choices and other options. but no reason to start him on a competitive diet schema. chicken potatoes beef oats, skim milk, cottage cheese, eggs, fruit, vegetables. get him to eat a meal containing 2-3 of those items, 5-6 times a day. have him start regulating his calorie intake as well. have him shoot for a little over 3000k cals for now. see if he drops consistently. again, help him transition into the lifestyle, then refine his approach after a few, highly dedicated weeks or months.
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I was thinking of trying to go all out but it would probably be best to see how he reacts to the change, then go from there. Thanks for the advise as always.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckyass View Post
    nark how do you find time to do this? AND sing on facebook at the same time? You amaze me
    Wait a minute... are you on my facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by ckyass View Post
    nark how do you find time to do this? AND sing on facebook at the same time? You amaze me
    he's a gypsy.
    Correction: Cyborg gypsy.

Nark, how about that literature/experience with "tubers/potatoes"? i cannot find it! geez, i'm being asked questions about it and I can't find it anywhere. lil' help here, big man.
    Which literature are you referring to? (There's been so much on this thread)

I've seen it all before. But i must not have saved it to my computer. just need a quick refresher Narkskie.

bump
    okie dokie.

To summarize:

Tubers v.s. grains... Tuber win.

Grains being (potentially) highly allergenic... (can) cause systemic responses akin to systemic inflammation. (fyi: bloating is a systemic response to a perceived allergen)

Chronic systemic inflammation leads to glucose intolerance (etc.)... which in turn leads to negative shifts in body composition.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    I've seen it all before. But i must not have saved it to my computer. just need a quick refresher Narkskie.

bump
    By the way... there are a couple threads on my forum which deal with food allergies. Hit me with an email when you get a chance and I'll link you to the URLs.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    In the morning I usually some oats and I'm gettin sick of the blandness-cardboard flavor quick. What would you suggest I mix w/ it to give it a better flavor and can fit in with a cutting diet.
    I'd suggest that you experiment in the kitchen mate.

There're a number of spices (etc.) which add flavour as potential positive systemic benefits.

e.g. Cinnamon (which improves glucose metabolism); ginger (which may accelerate fat-loss); nutmeg (which may aide digestion); vanilla extract; almond extract; cocoa powder (may aide in fat-loss); coconut oil (may aide in fat-loss); dried coconut etc.

...man, the list of stuff you can add is practically endless.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    It's far from ideal.

oats for carbs in morning, 2 eggs for some protein, same w/ sausage and added olive oil for some calories to hold me over and to slow digestion.
    Personally it sounds as if you knew you wouldn't be able to eat again for an extended period of time.

If this is the case, then the above was really poorly executed.

Personally I would've popped some digestive enzymes prior to starting the meal... and knocked back 2-3 cans of tuna... dropped the oats... and kept the olive oil.

Then I would've followed the meal with 5-15 grams of psyllium husk.

I would've had some shakes tru-out the day where possible.

If shakes weren't possible (due to the abovementioned poor planning), almonds would've been a better option than peanuts.

I'm at work all day and it ended up doing this today due to my poor planning.
    Hopefully this doesn't recur regularly.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    BTW Nova... I have more literature for you to read.

I'll include that in the email.

-CNS

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    I'd suggest that you experiment in the kitchen mate.

There're a number of spices (etc.) which add flavour as potential positive systemic benefits.

e.g. Cinnamon (which improves glucose metabolism); ginger (which may accelerate fat-loss); nutmeg (which may aide digestion); vanilla extract; almond extract; cocoa powder (may aide in fat-loss); coconut oil (may aide in fat-loss); dried coconut etc.

...man, the list of stuff you can add is practically endless.

-CNS
    Great ideas, been doing the cinnmon but it hasn't helped much, ill try the cocoa powder since i got some of that laying around. What kind of cocoa powder, the kind used for baking (unsweetened, etc)?

It's far from ideal.

Personally it sounds as if you knew you wouldn't be able to eat again for an extended period of time.

If this is the case, then the above was really poorly executed.

Personally I would've popped some digestive enzymes prior to starting the meal... and knocked back 2-3 cans of tuna... dropped the oats... and kept the olive oil.

Then I would've followed the meal with 5-15 grams of psyllium husk.

I would've had some shakes tru-out the day where possible.

If shakes weren't possible (due to the abovementioned poor planning), almonds would've been a better option than peanuts.

Hopefully this doesn't recur regularly.

-CNS
    I can assure you I knew i wasn't ideal. Why do you say drop the oats in the morning? The only carbs I get are from either veggies or oats so I've been having half cup (40g) of oats in the morning and before my workouts.

-Why do you say it was a poorly designed breakfast?
    -Got tons of almonds so I will make that switch.
    -As of now I have no money to drop on fiber powder or digestive enzymes.
    -From what I see you recommend a lot of protein.
    -Got plenty of protein powder so ill make used of that.
    -This doesn't happen much i just have to plan ahead.
    Last edited by IM708; 02-17-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    I can assure you I knew i wasn't ideal. Why do you say drop the oats in the morning? The only carbs I get are from either veggies or oats so I've been having half cup (40g) of oats in the morning and before my workouts.
    I did not tell you to drop the oats in the morning.

I told you that, had i known that I'd be missing meals for 7 hours following my first meal, i would've dropped the carbs and significantly bumped the protein.

-CNS

Alright then, my misunderstanding.

Out of curiosity would it be wise to mix these spices into sort of a tinkture inside of the oatmeal?

Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity would it be wise to mix these spices into sort of a tinkture inside of the oatmeal?
    Wise?

That's the kind of question someone who doesn't cook much would ask.

The short answer? No.

Some are spicy, some are tangy, some are tart, some are nutty... some 'sweet' and aromatic.

Try one at a time before you try mixing anything.

Wise?

That's the kind of question someone who doesn't cook much would ask.

The short answer? No.

Some are spicy, some are tangy, some are tart, some are nutty... some 'sweet' and aromatic.

Try one at a time before you try mixing anything.
    I do cook and cook well, I more meant along the lines of effectiveness. You are saying that the cinnamon helps regulate blood glucose, cocoa can aid w/ fatloss, etc. I meant would it be optimal to mix those together to create a greater effect or will that just be a waste. I don't taste any of these things when I mix them in w/ my oats.

ckyass is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos*;443***6
    Wait a minute... are you on my facebook?

Yes........Mike Smith ring a bell? lol

srebrenica is offline Junior Member
    what you think of my diet i want to replace protein shakes wit real food any ideas

7am- 1/2 cup oatmeal, 5 egg whites, 5oz chicken breast
    10am- protein shake, 1/4 almonds
    12pm- tuna on wheat bread, half of avocado
    3pm- 8oz chicken breast, 1 cup brocoli
    5pm-pre work out...scoop of whey and apple
    7pm- post work out...2 slices white bread with jelly
    8pm- 8oz chicken breast, 1 cup brocoli
    11pm- 8oz cottage cheese

Blog Entries
    I do cook and cook well,
    My apologies if my reply lumped you in with the majority of message-board-frequenters

I more meant along the lines of effectiveness. You are saying that the cinnamon helps regulate blood glucose, cocoa can aid w/ fatloss, etc. I meant would it be optimal to mix those together to create a greater effect or will that just be a waste. I don't taste any of these things when I mix them in w/ my oats.
    Would it be optimal... yes... but feasible? Who knows?

You don't taste any of things when you mix 'em in individually.

en masse, i'd figure the taste would vary from pungent to horrendous.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srebrenica View Post
    my stats are
    18 years old
    5'10
    193 pounds
    11% bf
    Stats noted.

11% BF caliper-tested?

my goal is to be 205
    Goal noted.

My questions however:

205 lbs at what bodyfat percentage?

What is your time frame for the accomplishment of the above?

I think you should refer to this thread before going any further: UNoffical "How to Bulk" thread and sample diet...

what you think of my diet i want to replace protein shakes wit real food any ideas
    It really isn't difficult mate.

Any lean meat/poultry (fish inclusive) would be an adequate substitute.

7am- 1/2 cup oatmeal, 5 egg whites, 5oz chicken breast
    10am- protein shake, 1/4 almonds
    12pm- tuna on wheat bread, half of avocado
    3pm- 8oz chicken breast, 1 cup brocoli
    5pm-pre work out...scoop of whey and apple
    7pm- post work out...2 slices white bread with jelly
    8pm- 8oz chicken breast, 1 cup brocoli
    11pm- 8oz cottage cheese
    No macros listed?

Get to calculating: http://caloriecount.about.com/

-CNS

Vitamins of all types.

When I want to try something out after reading up, I usually go to gnc or online somewhere to purchase it. Last night, I went to the market to grab some meat, and noticed on the vitamin aisle all of there stuff was 1/3 the price of say gnc.

Is the quality of vitamins from gnc far superior to quality of say wal-marts vitamins? VitaminC, b12, fish oil, ect

srebrenica is offline Junior Member
    my bf is correct and checked i want to gain 12 pounds in a month havin 11% bf or less my diet is around 3,000 calories 350 grams of protein what u think

Tommy12 is offline New Member

help with cutting

Have you ever hit a wall? I have been at it hard for the last 7 weeks, and have drop 10 pounds( most of that in the first 3 weeks), and it seems like the last 2 1/2 to three weeks I have lost nothing.At first, I thought it was because I was gaining muscle, but my pant are not fitting better or anything. I was just curious. I am 29 years old, 210 lbs, and my macros are 300 grams of protein, 150 grams of carbs, and 60 grams of fat.That is around 2400 calories broke up in 6 meals.I do cardio about 3-4 times a week. Am I just being impatient or what? I cut every year, this year seems to be alot harder though. Could my metbolism be messed up?Any help would be appreciated.

enigma10 is offline Member
    So I'm back it it again this time reading everything twice and acting once, I'm going for bulk then cut.

STAT: 230 ( use to weigh 300+) 6'4" age27 , BF 20%, never smoked or drink

starting of with clen
    pre work out supplement is NO-Explode and Whey 2times a day
    eating rice, tuna, steak, eggs, oatmeal, oranges , apples, salads.( sometimes oatmeal cookies ) <-this is leatrly my daily food i eat within the week, maybee subway or a salad at times
    drinking coffee with splenda, water and sugar free lemande, ocasioanl SF monster.

work out 5 times a week and 3 days of those i do cardio aswell.

i sit at a desk all day for my job and workout after my secedule

thanks bro !

I’m currently in my last week of bulking and basically I’m at a maintenance intake of around 3,500 calories on workout days and around 3,000 calories for non workout days. I work a desk job from 9:00-5:30, hit the gym, go home and eat, then train people sometimes as late as 11:30pm. I want to transition into my cut diet and prepare myself for my upcoming contest on June 27th. If I start next week that gives me 17 weeks till the contest. I’m currently
    196lbs 13% body fat
    6 foot 1
    22 years old
    All Natty
    Im interested in trying Nark and Nova’s approach to dieting. For my clients and myself I’ve always used the high protein/high fat approach to dieting while incorporating 1 high carb/high fat meal every 2-3 days to replenish glycogen and pull the body out of slight ketosis. It’s worked well for me…but I enjoy learning new techniques. So im going to post my current maintenance diet for a workout day…Nark and Nova…..lets see you work your magic.

Meal 1 (8:30am)
    1.5 Scoops Whey
    42.4g Peanut Buter
    64g banana
    60g oats
    8 oz milk
    75g Carbs, 42g Protein, 20g Fats 648 calories

Meal 2(11:30am)
    5oz London broil
    99g Orange
    80g oats
    6 almonds
    75g Carbs, 35g Protein, 20g Fats 620 calories

Meal 3(2:30pm)
    6oz chicken
    4oz avocado
    1c green beans
    8oz sweet potato
    70g Carbs, 42g Protein, 20g Fats 628 Kcals

Meal 4(5:30pm)
    5oz London broil
    6 almonds
    6oz sweet potato
    8oz milk
    1 cup green beans
    70g Carbs, 42g Protein, 20g Fats 628 Kcals

7:00 – WORKOUT

Meal 5(8:30pm-9:30pm)varies
    6oz tuna
    3tsp olive oil
    1 cup green beans
    128g brown rice
    45g Carbs, 42g Protein, 15g Fats 483 Kcals

Meal 6(11:30pm)
    285g cottage cheese
    24 almonds
    1 cup broccoli
    4oz sweet potato
    40g Carbs, 35g Protein, 20g Fats 480 Kcals

Asleep by 12:15 or so…

Total Carbohydrates 375g
    Total Protein 238g
    Total Fat 115g
    Total Calories 3487g

Obviously for the cut cottage cheese and milk will be removed.

Current training looks like this
    Day 1: Upper Body/20 mins pwo cardio - Power
    Day 2: Lower Body/Abs - Power
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Upper Body/Abs - Hypertrophy
    Day 5: Upper Body/20 mins pwo cardio - Hypertrophy
    Day 6: Lower Body/Abs - Hypertrophy
    Day 7: Rest

Might switch up my routine a bit for cutting…..obviously cardio will be increased.
    Last edited by ckyass; 02-25-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Have you seen the new studies showing that eggs help reduce cholesterol and fight bad cholesterol??? Or is this old news??

Blog Entries
    Bump!

la la la la

XD-9 is offline New Member
    Here is my new diet. I posted it in the diet forum but this one is tweaked just a bit more. I think it worked out pretty good for what I'm trying to do. I am using this diet to cut down to around 10-12% body fat. here are my current stats:

weight: 235
    bf: 20%
    Lean body weight: 188
    BMR: 2216
    TDEE: 3435
    Cardio: 30 minutes post-workout, 45 minutes on Wednesday & Saturday

Here is my cutting diet as I have lined it out. I'm about 700 calories under TDEE. Any critiques appreciated!

Meal #1 kcals protein carbs fat
    1/2 cup egg whites 60 12 2 0
    2 whole eggs 140 12 0 8
    1/2 cup oats 150 5 27 3
    TOTAL 350 29 29 11

Meal #2
    4oz. Tuna 200 44 0 2
    2 slices ww bread 240 12 44 3
    Total 440 56 44 5

Meal #3
    8oz. Chicken breast 240 41 0 8
    8oz. Red potato 165 4 39 0
    1 cup broccoli 30 1 4 0
    Total 435 46 43 8

Meal #4
    2 scoop ON whey 260 48 8 4
    1/2 cup oats 150 5 27 3
    Total 410 53 35 7

WORKOUT

Meal #5 PWO
    2 scoop ON whey 260 48 8 4
    1/2 cup oats 150 5 27 3
    Total 410 53 35 7

Meal #6
    8oz. Chicken breast 240 41 0 8
    1/2 cup brown rice 165 4 35 1
    Total 405 45 35 9

Meal #7
    1 cup ff cottage cheese 160 28 14 0
    20g Almonds 120 4 4 11
    Total 280 32 18 11

TOTAL KCAL protein carbs fat
    2730 - 314 - 239 - 58

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

PWO Macros

Nark can you give me some insight on PWO nutrition?

I only have one shake and its PWO. What should the macros be?

Should I use a banana and oats? Or should I only have one, if so whats better the banana or the oats?

Do I want to avoid fat all together PWO? I'm eating one hour later.

Current shake:
    2 scoops whey (46 grams protein)
    1/2 cup fat free milk (can I keep this?)
    1 banana
    1/2 cup oats
    the rest is water and ice.

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    In your opinion do fats slow down the digestion of high GI carbs in essence lowering there GI. or does the High GI carbs increase the propensity of the fats to be stored because of the insulin spike?

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Nark of nova I have a question

third week on my cut....cals on training days are around maintenance and non training are lowered roughly 800cals. Trying to hit 4-5 days/wk 40-45min cardio.

Yesterday I had a carb reload of good carbs. Roughly 9-10 meals and doubled my carbs for every meal. So roughly 600g's from carbs and 200cals from protein per meal. Is this overkill? I feel great today and may continue to do this every 2 wks if it's not too detrimental.

Thanks and I love you guys

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    Vitamins of all types.

When I want to try something out after reading up, I usually go to gnc or online somewhere to purchase it. Last night, I went to the market to grab some meat, and noticed on the vitamin aisle all of there stuff was 1/3 the price of say gnc.

Is the quality of vitamins from gnc far superior to quality of say wal-marts vitamins? VitaminC, b12, fish oil, ect
    A general rule of thumb:

GNC > Muscletech
    Any other brand > GNC

lol... Sorry, i had to throw in some Muscletech hate in there.

One of my clients sent me an ad for naNO vapor this morning... Reading it REALLY pissed me off.

Anyway, to your question... GNC has some inconsistencies... particularly where the potential for assimilation of some of its products is concerned.

Blog Entries
    my bf is correct and checked i want to gain 12 pounds in a month havin 11% bf or less my diet is around 3,000 calories 350 grams of protein what u think
    I think your goals are unrealistic.

A general rule of thumb:

GNC > Muscletech
    Any other brand > GNC

lol... Sorry, i had to throw in some Muscletech hate in there.

One of my clients sent me an ad for naNO vapor this morning... Reading it REALLY pissed me off.

Anyway, to your question... GNC has some inconsistencies... particularly where the potential for assimilation of some of its products is concerned.
    Can't...stand....muscletech...and...cytosport.

When you are referring to gnc and assimilation of some of their products, what products are you referring to? The vitamins and/or proteins?

Thread Information