Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,160 of 1631
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Any opinion on ribose vs glucose supplementation?

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Nark or Nova.With a LBM of 155 and being fairly active doing Grappling for 1-1.5 hour daily plus weights 3x a week do you think one could cut with 275-300 grams of carbs?
    i was also debating fat being to high, with the same LBM im taking in 70-80grams of fat a day.

Previously i cutt with 175 carbs 225 pro and 70 fat
    im now using 200pro 200carbs and 80 fat
    im considering using 160-180pro and 300carbs and 60 fat

or

well umm.... i dunno tell me what you think.

Lastly,i have been reading Layne Nortons studies on maximizing protein synthesis.and am not sure when cutting to have 3-4 meals or 5-6. your thoughts

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelwithoutacause View Post
    Hey nark! What's up man? Okay, I'm finally about to start my keto diet, and I wanted you to shred it, and let me know what you think and tweak if necessary. I was going to post this somewhere else but couldn't find a spot over there where you were really doing diet critiquing. So here it is my friend:

Morning: 2 eggs, 2 turkey links, 4 strips of turkey bacon
    Totals: 410 kcal/250kcal Fat/ 33g Protein/0 Carbs

Mid Morning: 1 Tbsp Organic Hemp Oil
    Totals: 120 kcal/120kcal Fat/ 0 Protein/0 Carbs

Lunch: 8 oz. Boneless skinless chicken breast, mixed vegetables, lettuce wrap with ¼ cup albacore, 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
    Totals: 440 kcal/143kcal Fat/ 50g Protein/5g Carbs

Mid Lunch: Protein Shake 1 scoop Whey, 1 cup organic unsweetened soy milk, ¼ cup No Sugar Added Bryer’s Ice Cream; 1 oz. peanuts.
    Totals: 436 kcal/205kcal Fat/43g Protein/22g carbs

Dinner: 8 oz. top round steak, mixed vegetables, 1 Tbsp Earth Balance butter spread.
    Totals: 510 kcal/ 265 kcal Fat/ 54g Protein/5g carbs

Evening snack: String Cheese
    Totals: 60 kcal/10 kcal Fat/6g Protein/3g carbs

Complete totals: 1976 Kcals/ 993 Kcals fat/ 186g Protein/ 35g Carbs

This is strict for 4 weeks and then I will start Cycling. Let me know what up! Later man.

Get Narked!
    I want you to recognize the premise of this thread; pro/carb dieting. That being said, Nark and myself do not utilize keto diets.

So if you have any specific questions as to where to utilize carbs, carb timing, carb cycling, insulin sensitivity, or incorporating carbs into your diet let us know.

best. idea. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam View Post
    Hey Nark, long time no see! A caveat.. I'm posting from my phone so please bear with my misspellings/brevity.

I've traditionally stuck to a low carb protocol while cutting and have given your method a shot for the last two weeks and have dropped 10lbs and gained strength/energy..go figure!

Anyway I'd like your opinion on a couple issues. First, what is your stance on NSAID pain relievers in regards to their impact on anabolism when used to treat muscle/joint soreness caused by heavy weight lifting and high impact cardio?

i could have sworn there were some posts earlier in this thread. I am not well versed in the search function within threads, but I think this was covered. I know that NSAIDs have been suspected in the slowing of protein synthesis, but if my memory serves me correctly, it was at a VERY high doctor prescribed dose. One that would rival a pharm pain reliever. If you're worried about it, I would just take 440mg at least one to two meals before or after your workouts with food.

And another concern I have is about antacids like fomatidine/ omnerprozal. I suffer from cronic heartburn and it makes consuming the adequate ammount of meals/calories rather difficult. I've read that treatment with these antacid/PPI meds can negatively affect bone density and increase heart related complications among those who perform intense cardiovascular exercise? Any thoughts on this?

With this I can remember reading that the calcium regulated problems associated with these heartburn medications will most likely be ofset by exercise and calcium supplementation. I have NONE of teh resources I used to have on my old comp so i apologize for not being able to site my sources here. But I'm sure when Nark is freed he will speak on the issue as well, probably with his never ending literature.

Nark you are THE authority on dieting... I can't believe I subscribed to the low carb aproach for so long... I'll be sending you an email soon.

Best Regards
    I went ahead and chimed in, in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by intensityfreak View Post
    I train 6 days a week twice a day.
    Im currently 23yrs 6'0 275lbs 19% bf = 223LBS OF LBM

i configured my numbers around my lbm
    going for 400g of protien & 400g carbs (1.8g per lb) & 5,000 cals

... i would like to keep a high carb diet (aprox 400grams) & slightly lower it on off traing days. Off days i'm eliminating all complex carbs and just eat veggies. Throughout the week i do HIIT training for football so im am plannig on doing complex carbs when i wake up & 45 min before training & after i train along side of some simple carbs and the rest through veggies.. i plan on doing 7 to 8 meals a day..

also i was watching a nutrition video and he said that veggies mostly contribute to burning fat and does get used as carb or cant be stored.. it was something about the thermol effects of feeding.. is my knowledge about this correct, becase i shall be incorperating veggies in all off my meals if its true. can someone elaborate on this please
    If this is an okay plan im going to go ahead and configure a eating regimend...
    And thank again for all of the knowledge
    seems you have all the necessary information you need. I would go ahead and configure away, let us know what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    Nark or Nova.With a LBM of 155 and being fairly active doing Grappling for 1-1.5 hour daily plus weights 3x a week do you think one could cut with 275-300 grams of carbs?
    i was also debating fat being to high, with the same LBM im taking in 70-80grams of fat a day.

Previously i cutt with 175 carbs 225 pro and 70 fat
    im now using 200pro 200carbs and 80 fat
    im considering using 160-180pro and 300carbs and 60 fat

or

well umm.... i dunno tell me what you think.

Lastly,i have been reading Layne Nortons studies on maximizing protein synthesis.and am not sure when cutting to have 3-4 meals or 5-6. your thoughts
    I think one factor you need to consider is how well did your last cut go? If you had success I would do nearly what you did before. Everyone is different in regard to foods that work and cardio/diet plans that are successful in regard to cutting/bulking. If you had success I would stick to the plan you had before, and tailor any protein changes to lean body mass changes.

Nark & all, been in grad school. Wow. things are going amazingly well, but my first semester time has been shot. Been lifting on campus between classes, and simply cooking, studying, and sleeping a lot when I get home. Had a research proposal due on last Friday, so my time was nonexistent. I hope to be able to help more now, as I should have a little more free time since the majority of my semester's work is completed, aside from a few finals. Glad to see the thread still rockin'

If I missed any question (it was hard to see where Nark left off) let me know, and I will try to help.

-nOva

The one right up at the top. What do you think of ribose supplementation vs dextrose?

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    I think one factor you need to consider is how well did your last cut go? If you had success I would do nearly what you did before. Everyone is different in regard to foods that work and cardio/diet plans that are successful in regard to cutting/bulking. If you had success I would stick to the plan you had before, and tailor any protein changes to lean body mass changes.
    i had good success with the last one, but im now doing more cardio jsut because of jiu-jitsu, so i incorporated 200 extra kcals 10grams fat and 25 carbs

i had good success with the last one, but im now doing more cardio jsut because of jiu-jitsu, so i incorporated 200 extra kcals 10grams fat and 25 carbs
    then i would do something very similar. I would add those carbs to meals surrounding the extra cardio and throw fats into earlier or later meals to slow digestion and keep you fuller longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    The one right up at the top. What do you think of ribose supplementation vs dextrose?
    I have no personal experience with either. Nark, he may have a more solid knowledge base or personal reference to the matter.

I would think though, that since both are used mostly in recovery, that for the sake of my needs I would just use other lower GI a lower GI load carbs, such as recommended by this thread. Again, no personal experience to speak of, just giving my thoughts, as I have no way to compare the two.

pretty much looks like this
    wake up 20min walk up the street and back
    Meal-1 8Am
    75-c
    45-p
    15-f

Goto Jiu-jitsu 11AM-12m
    Meal 2
    50-c
    45-p
    15-f

2pm Train Mon-Wed-Fri Weights Tues-Sprints
    3pm meal 3
    50-C
    45-p
    15-f

6:30PM
    meal 4
    25-c
    45-p
    15-f

Meal 5 b4 Bed 9;30-10pm
    Green Veggies
    45-pro
    15-f

Sound good? and im considering PWO cardio on days i do it. and i also walk my dog about 40mins a day when i have the time

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Hello guys.

I've been out with a slipped disc.

I sustained it during a one-hour special I did with a local reporter for national television.

They came in and talked to me about obesity and lifestyle weight management.

I had to train a client during the slot as well.

Bah... Further details can be found on my site... So those of you who hang out there can check my thread in the rant forum.

Anyway, to all else... I'm back for now.

-CNS
    Last edited by Narkissos; 04-14-2009 at 07:02 PM.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Hello guys.

I've been out with a slipped disc.

I sustained it during a one-hour special I did a local reporter for national television.
    They came in and talked to me about obesity and lifestyle weight management.
    I had to train a client during the slot as well.
    Bah... Further details can be found on my site... So those of you who hang out there can check my thread in the rant forum.
    Anyway, to all else... I'm back for now.

-CNS
    Jeez, sorry Nark. Will stop by now and check in.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by illwillogical View Post
    I have read a lot of post on this thread. My goal is to cut bodyfat as rapidly as possible with minimal lean body mass loss. My stats are as follows

Height: 5'9
    Weight: 198lbs
    Bodyfat: 15%

I calculated my TDEE is 3129 calories, this was calculated with the Katch McArdle formula.

I know that this thread is just about nutrition but I want to add that I am going to cycle Clen for about 6 weeks.

I am interested in Carb cycling, I haven't posted a diet yet because I am still not sure of what my caloric needs should be for my goal?

So with these numbers, what would you recommend my calorie mark to be to lose the fat? I plan on keeping my macros at about 40/40/20, and will be trying to avoid all simple carbs. I plan on my main carb source being from red potatoes or oats, and green leafy vegetables.

Tell me more about your level of activity.

What school of training do your subscribe to?

How many sessions per week?

Duration of sessions?

Are you doing cardio?

Have you cut before?

If yes, how lean have you gotten prior?

-CNS

Quote Originally Posted by illwillogical

I'm not sure what school of training I subscribe to? But I never go over 10 reps, usually in the 8 range, and go to total failure with forced reps on one sometimes to sets.

4 sessions per week Mon. Legs, Tues. Chest and Tris, Thurs. Back and Bis, Fri, Shoulders.

My sessions are usually between 45-60 minutes.

Right now I am not doing cardio, I plan to do about 30 minutes a day when I start the diet

I have never been on a cutting diet, I have never counted calories, I just try to eat at least six meals and eat when I'm hungry.

The leanest I have been is 10%, my activity level was really high then, and I ran at least 4 miles a day 5 days a week. I know for me to get down under 10% I am really going to have to pay attention to what I eat, it seems like my body is very stubborn to get below 10%, and I want to get really lean

-CNS
    Your kcals should be @ 2900 on training days and 2300 on non-training days.

I would hold off carb cycling until you stagnate.

Stick with the 40/40/20 as per your first post.

-C

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    height-5'10
    age-19
    BF-14%
    weight-177
    resistance training-4x a wek
    cardio training-4 x a week
    (am a personal trainer so this part is in tact)
    Noted.

diet history- about 2 years ago i was naive and stupid and learned the hard way about cutting. i was eating 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches a day on whole wheat bread as a diet.. got down to 167 yep pathetic i know.. anyways i dropped alot of weight (which gained back eventually) sacrificed muscle and water...of course lost body fat but learned the hard way!

Anyways, about 2 months ago i was on a bulk diet consisting of 3100 kcal a day.. eating 1000 cal for breakfeast eating every 3.5 hours.. anyway i learned the hardway again that my body could not digest that breakfeast quickly enough before i had my next meal, hence fat weight. Great strength gaines but i got up to 192 lbs fresh in the morning, with an addition to my lower gut (where i genetically store most noticeable fat) =(

I am now 177 after fooling around with cutting diets until today, i found what i believe to be my staple cutting diet. I calculated my BMR by taking my lean weight (153) x 13 (for men) which eqauls 1989 calories. Now, on my workout days i add about 500-600 calories to that number which equals 2489-2589 calories (BMR + ACTIVITY)

My goal is body fat loss, im not concerned with weight at all.
    I'm a bit concerned to be honest.

Sounds like you've gone from one extreme to yet another... I'm not sure you've allowed yourself enough time to return to a state of normalcy.

If I were working with you right now I'd keep your kcal intake right around maintenance.

here is the diet.

Diet

Breakfast (1) 10:30
    1 cup kashi oatmeal(300)
    Pro-18
    Fat-4
    Carb-50
    8 egg whites (136)

Pro-29

9 grams roasted (no salt) almonds (57)(OMITT NON-WORKOUT DAYS)
    Pro-2
    Fat-5
    Carb-2

Total calories-493/ pro-49/fat-9/ carb-52

GYM

PWO MEAL (2)

2 scoop whey protein(240)(after weight raining)
    Pro-48
    Fat-2
    Carb-4

1 naval orange (70)(after cardio)
    Carb-19

Total calories PWO-410/pro-49/fat-2/carb-23 (OMITT NON WORKOUT DAYS)
    Meal (3) 30-40 min after PWO

1 cup brown rice (212)
    Pro-5
    Carb-44
    Fat-1

1 cups mixed veggies (90)
    Pro-2
    Carb-18
    Fat-0

6 slices low sodium turkey (120)
    Pro-22

Total calories-422/pro-29/carb-62/fat-0

Meal 4

1 tbsp organic PB(100)
    Pro-3.5
    Fat-9
    Carb-3

1 banana(110)
    Carb-27

6 oz Grilled Chicken(110)
    Pro-42
    Fat-0
    Carb-0

9 grams roasted (no salt) almonds (57)(OMITT NON WORKOUT DAYS)
    Pro-2
    Fat-5
    Carb-2
    Total calories-487/pro-50/fat-14/carb-32

Meal 5

2 cup mixed veggies(90)
    Pro-2
    Carb-36

4-5 oz. grilled London broil (202)
    Pro-32
    Carb-0
    Fat-8

Cottage Cheese (110) (fat free)*
    Pro-15
    Carb-8
    Fat-5

total calories -492/pro-51/fat-13/carb-44

Meal 6

1 scoop casein protein(120)
    Pro-23
    Fat-1
    Carb-2

1 tbsp PB(100)
    Pro-3.5
    Fat-9
    Carb-3

9 grams roasted (no salt) almonds (57)(OMITT NON WORKOUT DAYS)
    Pro-2
    Fat-5
    Carb-2

Total calories-277/pro-28.5/fat-15/carb-7

TOTAL CALORIES PER DAY-2581
    TOTAL FAT-53
    TOTAL CARB-220
    TOTAL PROTEIN-257

OFF DAYS-ELIMINATE PWO AND NUTS throughout day

Total calories per day-2090
    Total pro-203.5
    Total fat-36
    Total carb-209
    Personally, I find the kcal intake on non-training day is more inline with where I believe you should be.

The fat is a little low on non-training days... so I'd lower either your carbs or protein to accommodate you bumping your fat intake to at least 20% of total kcals.

I think you're trying to pile in way too much protein personally.

@ just over 150 lbs LBM, there simply is no need.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post

Noted. How many would you suggest I drop or change my multiplier to?
    I'd knock 500kcals off your posted diet.

Also, do I drop cals evenly across my macros or just from carbs?
    Across the maros.

And, will I need a refeed at all?
    I think so... Once every 14 days at the very least.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Hey nark! What's up man? Okay, I'm finally about to start my keto diet, and I wanted you to shred it, and let me know what you think and tweak if necessary. I was going to post this somewhere else but couldn't find a spot over there where you were really doing diet critiquing. So here it is my friend:
    Np buddy

Before I comment further... It looks like you're trying to do the TKD variation of keto dieting.

Is that correct?

That would be the rationale for the 'mid-lunch' meal... right?

Let me scroll back to page 26 for your stats:

I'm 30 now, and am weighing in at 275. I'm 6 ft. tall and have a body fat percentage of 35%!
    ok... 275 @ 35% < 180 lbs LBM

Let's place your kcals @ 2160 kcals.

You above diet puts you @ 1976... so I'd tack on another 200kcals to be honest.

Your macro ratios should be around 30:60:10 protein:fat:fibrous carbs

Right now your carbs are about right.

Heck your macro ratios aren't bad at all.

Nice start.

Ok... bumping your kcals to 2160 or thereabouts.... that's about 1300kcals from fat. At 5 meals per day... that's just about 30gr of fat per meal.

Protein should be just about 30 gr per meal as well... and carbs <>10gr fibrous carbs (i.e. just about 1 cup or less)

Morning: 2 eggs, 2 turkey links, 4 strips of turkey bacon
    Totals: 410 kcal/250kcal Fat/ 33g Protein/0 Carbs
    Nice.

Mid Morning: 1 Tbsp Organic Hemp Oil
    Totals: 120 kcal/120kcal Fat/ 0 Protein/0 Carbs
    Add fat... add protein.

Lunch: 8 oz. Boneless skinless chicken breast, mixed vegetables, lettuce wrap with ¼ cup albacore, 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
    Totals: 440 kcal/143kcal Fat/ 50g Protein/5g Carbs
    Double the fat here... cut the protein. (drop the chicken down to 5 or 6 oz)

Make sure you factor in all the carbs you're getting here as well.

Mid Lunch: Protein Shake 1 scoop Whey, 1 cup organic unsweetened soy milk, ¼ cup No Sugar Added Bryer’s Ice Cream; 1 oz. peanuts.
    Totals: 436 kcal/205kcal Fat/43g Protein/22g carbs
    Is this a pre-w/o shake?

Is so... I'd leave it as is.

Dinner: 8 oz. top round steak, mixed vegetables, 1 Tbsp Earth Balance butter spread.

Totals: 510 kcal/ 265 kcal Fat/ 54g Protein/5g carbs
    Right amount of fat... Still too much protein.

Keep mixed vegetables to no more than a cup.

Evening snack: String Cheese

Totals: 60 kcal/10 kcal Fat/6g Protein/3g carbs
    I'd switch this to a harder cheese.

Complete totals: 1976 Kcals/ 993 Kcals fat/ 186g Protein/ 35g Carbs

This is strict for 4 weeks and then I will start Cycling. Let me know what up! Later man.

Get Narked!
    GetNarked!

-CNS

Thanks Nark!!! I knew you would be back in no time. How is your slipped disk? That's horrible. That ish musta hurt. I didn't know about it. And to think I spend all day long on your site, shows how much I pay attention! LOL. Yeah, my shake is PWO shake. And yes I'm going with the "targeted variation."
    Your macro ratios should be around 30:60:10 protein:fat:fibrous carbs

Right now your carbs are about right.

Heck your macro ratios aren't bad at all.

Nice start.
    This is all because of you Nark. You gave me the direction, you gave me the material, and the advice. We're going to create another "Nark" Monster, so the world can see. Take care.

-RJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    Hey Nark thanks for the response! Below are my answers to yout questions from post 1083 and 1084 :-)
    Thanks.

As fast as possible... what is a realistic timeframe without steroids?
    That's 40 lbs of LBM you're talking about.

You're talking years of hard work mate... 3-4 if I'm to be absolutely honest.

What exactly do you mean, I don't understand "deloaded."
    Periods of reduced intensity/duration/volume... i.e. periods which allow the CNS to rest.

None of the body's developmental processes are linear.

Nark my TDEE is 2500... I'll bring my daily intake down to from 3500 to 3000 range then... what do you think?
    How is your TDEE 2500?

Yea... bring it down to 3000.

LOL ya it's hard to drink plain. I always try and blend it with other ingredients, or for PWO above mixing it with Whey is a nice combo.
    Why'd you choose hemp in the first place?

Serious question.

I guess I was just trying to hit 100g a day. At 3500 calories my daily macros worked out to be 350 C 300 P and 106 F. Is 100g of fat per day too much??
    100gr is generic... Just like 200 lbs is generic.

Don't get fixated on numbers mate... It's a path that leads nowhere.

@3000kcals... 70gr fat would be plenty.
    @3500kcals... 80gr would be plenty.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Thanks Nark!!!
    No prob R.

I knew you would be back in no time. How is your slipped disk? That's horrible. That ish musta hurt. I didn't know about it. And to think I spend all day long on your site, shows how much I pay attention! LOL.
    lol.

Thanks.

My back is 'ok'.

The chiro was impressed with the degree of range of motion I display in all joints etc. She was also impressed with everything I did to rehab my knee, as well as the stuff I did to treat the slipped disc when I realized what had happened.

All in all, a pleasant visit to the office.

She set my back... worked on my hip and upper back as well... and then took me off weight-training until the pain goes completely.

She told me that if it's 85% gone the next day (as is the case where fast healers are concerned), I could start weight-training a week later.

She told me to do an hour of light cardio per day to keep the area loose via mobilization... gave me some stretches to do (on top of my current regime), and also told me to continue with the self-myofascial release that i currently use 5-7 times per week.

The pain is just about gone to be honest... but the area still feels weird... so I'm watching it.

Yeah, my shake is PWO shake. And yes I'm going with the "targeted variation."
    Nice.

Make sure you take before and after pics at each stage

I expect those pics in my email inbox

This is all because of you Nark. You gave me the direction, you gave me the material, and the advice. We're going to create another "Nark" Monster, so the world can see. Take care.

-RJ
    Kind words.

Thanks.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Hey Nark, long time no see! A caveat.. I'm posting from my phone so please bear with my misspellings/brevity.
    np.

I've traditionally stuck to a low carb protocol while cutting and have given your method a shot for the last two weeks and have dropped 10lbs and gained strength/energy..go figure!
    Nice.

Are you a member of facebook by any chance?

Anyway I'd like your opinion on a couple issues. First, what is your stance on NSAID pain relievers in regards to their impact on anabolism when used to treat muscle/joint soreness caused by heavy weight lifting and high impact cardio?
    My official stance has changed over the years to be honest.

I've seen studies which state that NSAIDS impede protein synthesis... and others which state that they increase strength and muscle growth.

So, like all other things in bodybuilding, I opt for a common sense approach where they're concerned: Judicious application... as opposed to abuse.

The potential for hepatoxicity is no joke IMO... So I'm not in favour of pre-training dosing.

Apply when needed IMO.

Ice and elevation, self-myofascial release, high-dose bromelaine and fish oil (etc.) should take precendence over the application of NSAIDS IMO.

And another concern I have is about antacids like fomatidine/ omnerprozal. I suffer from cronic heartburn and it makes consuming the adequate ammount of meals/calories rather difficult. I've read that treatment with these antacid/PPI meds can negatively affect bone density and increase heart related complications among those who perform intense cardiovascular exercise? Any thoughts on this?
    You have a legitimate concern... One that I'd sugges that you bring up with your physician.

Are you currently using any other meds and supplements?

Nark you are THE authority on dieting... I can't believe I subscribed to the low carb aproach for so long... I'll be sending you an email soon.

Best Regards
    I'll look out for it mate.

All the best.

-CNS
    Last edited by Narkissos; 06-09-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Any opinion on ribose vs glucose supplementation?
    That depends on your specific purpose.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Nark & all, been in grad school. Wow. things are going amazingly well, but my first semester time has been shot. Been lifting on campus between classes, and simply cooking, studying, and sleeping a lot when I get home. Had a research proposal due on last Friday, so my time was nonexistent. I hope to be able to help more now, as I should have a little more free time since the majority of my semester's work is completed, aside from a few finals. Glad to see the thread still rockin'

If I missed any question (it was hard to see where Nark left off) let me know, and I will try to help.

-nOva
    It's good to see you around N.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    A question to all subscribers... Are any of you guys members of facebook?

If so... hit me with a PM.

Thanks.

All in all, a pleasant visit to the office.
    Thank God for that!

I could start weight-training a week later.
    Once again, thank God for that!

and also told me to continue with the self-myofascial release that i currently use 5-7 times per week.
    I would like to hear about your method of fascia manipulation. On another thread tho, I don't want to be hi-jacking.

The pain is just about gone to be honest... but the area still feels weird... so I'm watching it.
    I would too Nark if I were you, be careful not to do anything too strenuous that directly effects your sensitive area. I'm glad you're okay though.

Nice.

Make sure you take before and after pics at each stage

I expect those pics in my email inbox

Definitely! I already took some before one's to send to you. I'm about 1 week in right now so I will take more at EVERY stage. Take it easy, Nark!

Blog Entries
    I would like to hear about your method of fascia manipulation. On another thread tho, I don't want to be hi-jacking.
    Ask it on the 'ask Narkissos' thread in the fitness 101 board on my forum.

I'll try my best to be as detailed as possible.

I would too Nark if I were you, be careful not to do anything too strenuous that directly effects your sensitive area. I'm glad you're okay though.
    Thanks for the well-wishes mate.

-C

Im a non-bodybuilding athlete and feel i need carbs, I weight train and do Jiu-jitsu both at high intensity my questions are.

1. is 80grams of fat a day to much for someone with a LBM of 155 who also consumes 200 grams of carbs?-im trying to lean out

2.Could i drop some fat and protein and up my carbs and still lean out?

3.If i weight train a couple hours after meal 1 should i still go low carbs to burn more fat?

That depends on your specific purpose.

-CNS
    The ribose powder I sell is advertised as a post workout supplement to enhance creatine absorption and for recovery. Expensive as shit to.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Nark, Being you seem to be the insulin authority I was wondering what your thoughts and opinions are on Glucophage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Nark, Being you seem to be the insulin authority I was wondering what your thoughts and opinions are on Glucophage?
    Glucophage is right up there on my list of recommended GDAs.

I don't use it anymore personally (as I have my own GDA protocol), but a number of my clients do utilize said compound.

Great for carb-cycling, or insulin -sensitization/priming phases.

Heck, it's great while bulking when combined with insulin.

The latter practice requires either a lot of experience or supervision however.

-CNS

J-Roc is offline Junior Member
    Hey Nark sorry to hear about the slipped disc! Hope you're doing better :-)

Here is my response to your questions along with some questions of my own...

That's 40 lbs of LBM you're talking about.

You're talking years of hard work mate... 3-4 if I'm to be absolutely honest.
    Wow. Is 10-12lbs. of muscle per year all one can expect to gain naturally??? What would be the time frame for a 40lb. muscle gain ON steroids ?

Periods of reduced intensity/duration/volume... i.e. periods which allow the CNS to rest.

None of the body's developmental processes are linear.
    Would 1 week off of training every 8 weeks be sufficient deloading?

How is your TDEE 2500?

Yea... bring it down to 3000.
    HOW is my TDEE 2500?

5' 10" 165lbs. 27 years old = BMR of 1799.35
    Lightly Active (Light exercise/sport 1-3 days/wk) = TDEE of 2474 (I rounded to 2500 )

Is this not correct?

Why'd you choose hemp in the first place?

Serious question.
    IMO it's much better alternative to Whey. It's a good whole-food source of complete protein. Whey is processed junk and I know you agree as I've read from your other threads.

100gr is generic... Just like 200 lbs is generic.

Don't get fixated on numbers mate... It's a path that leads nowhere.

@3000kcals... 70gr fat would be plenty.
    @3500kcals... 80gr would be plenty.
    Ok Nark thanks!!!!!!!
    Last edited by J-Roc; 04-17-2009 at 04:43 AM.

The ribose powder I sell is advertised as a post workout supplement to enhance creatine absorption and for recovery. Expensive as shit to.
    So in what instances would ribose powder be superior to dextrose? Why not just use waxy maize?

Is there an optimum ratio of 0mega 3 to 0mega 6 in our diet? If so what should we/I/all aim for?

Blog Entries

1. is 80grams of fat a day to much for someone with a LBM of 155 who also consumes 200 grams of carbs?-im trying to lean out
    Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

2.Could i drop some fat and protein and up my carbs and still lean out?
    I believe we've answered this question (posed by you) a number of times for you in threads on this forum as well as my own.

Heck, I've deleted a couple of the repetitive posts.

So once again: Yes. Yes you can drop 'some fat and protein' and up your carbs and still lean out.

3.If i weight train a couple hours after meal 1 should i still go low carbs to burn more fat?
    Have you been following this thread at all?

-CNS

Blog Entries
    There are better compounds for recovery.

I wouldn't waste the cash.

...no offense.

-CNS

Blog Entries

Wow. Is 10-12lbs. of muscle per year all one can expect to gain naturally??? What would be the time frame for a 40lb. muscle gain ON steroids?
    2-3 years.

It is a bit difficult to quantify really.

People get too caught up in numbers.

Would 1 week off of training every 8 weeks be sufficient deloading?
    Depends on how hard you're pushing yourself.

Also... deloading doesn't automatically mean taking the time completely off.

It could refer to a number of reduced intensity activities.

HOW is my TDEE 2500?

5' 10" 165lbs. 27 years old = BMR of 1799.35
    Lightly Active (Light exercise/sport 1-3 days/wk) = TDEE of 2474 (I rounded to 2500 )

Is this not correct?
    You have no idea what your LBM is... so no, it isn't 'correct'.

That being said... this estimate would only be applicable 3 days out of 7.

...ergo, on the other days, consuming this number of calories would be an over-feed.

That being said, it must now be clear to you that 3600 would've been massive overkill.

Ok Nark thanks!!!!!!!
    np mate.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Is there an optimum ratio of 0mega 3 to 0mega 6 in our diet? If so what should we/I/all aim for?
    The importance of the ratio of 0mega-6/0mega-3 essential fatty acids.

Simopoulos AP.
    The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009, USA. [email protected]

Several sources of information suggest that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of 0mega-6 to 0mega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of approximately 1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1-16.7/1. Western diets are deficient in 0mega-3 fatty acids, and have excessive amounts of 0mega-6 fatty acids compared with the diet on which human beings evolved and their genetic patterns were established.

Excessive amounts of 0mega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high 0mega-6/0mega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of 0mega-3 PUFA (a low 0mega-6/0mega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects. In the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, a ratio of 4/1 was associated with a 70% decrease in total mortality. A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of 4/1 with the same amount of 0mega-3 PUFA had no effect.

The lower 0mega-6/0mega-3 ratio in women with breast cancer was associated with decreased risk. A ratio of 2-3/1 suppressed inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and a ratio of 5/1 had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma, whereas a ratio of 10/1 had adverse consequences. These studies indicate that the optimal ratio may vary with the disease under consideration. This is consistent with the fact that chronic diseases are multigenic and multifactorial.

Therefore, it is quite possible that the therapeutic dose of 0mega-3 fatty acids will depend on the degree of severity of disease resulting from the genetic predisposition. A lower ratio of 0mega-6/0mega-3 fatty acids is more desirable in reducing the risk of many of the chronic diseases of high prevalence in Western societies, as well as in the developing countries, that are being exported to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Narkissos; 04-24-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    In my personal opinion, that ratio would be 1:1

Thread Information