Ilyich is offline New Member

diet question

Could someone please suggest a decent split between protein/carbs/fat for a bulking diet and when should they all be consumed?
    I am looking at about 4000-3500kcals a day and train between 12-2pm, except monday when I train 3-5pm.

Am I right in thinking that I should take most of the carbs prior to my workout and just after and then cut em out later on in the day?
    If I do that the calories will have to come from protein and fat later on in the day and I am a bit uneasy about eating so much fat Of course I could rely mainly on protein, but that is just too much protein in my view. I am already consuming about 350g a day at 3000-3500kcals a day.

Also is it ok to mix carbs and fat in one meal (the morning ones)?

Thanks,

Ilyich
    Last edited by Ilyich; 11-12-2001 at 03:33 PM.

No suggestions?

Ilyich

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    40/45/15 Protein, Carbs, fat. Have a healthy balance in each meal, consume 50-75g of carbs post training.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Reduce saturated fats where possible and replace them with polyunsaturated fats such as flax oil, deep-water fish and monounsaturated fats from olive oil and avocados. Research has shown that Omega-3 oils from flax and other sources improve health and assist in fat loss. One to three tablespoons a day of flax oil mixed in a protein shake or used as salad oil with vinegar, or taken straight will dramatically improve fat loss and long-term health.

If you want to bulk up then you'll need some fat, just not saturated.

Your morning carbs are two fold. First to replenish the liver glycogen you're body burned while at rest, and second to fuel the next few hours. That means you have to think and plan for what you will be doing. Obviously you'll need less carbs if you're going to be sitting for a few hours.

You probably have enough protein unless you're over 250 with less than 15% bodyfat. Figure at least 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of lean body mass. and divide the grams evenly (you know if the servings are too high)

Consume approx 100 grams of carbs (both simple and complex) immediately after workout, followed by 40-50 grams of protein about an hour later.

For your afternoon and evening meals once again consider your activity levels and eat your carbs accordingly. For evening meals I'd also increase fibrous vegetables to increase transit time of food and improve digestion. Increasing fiber intake from vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, carrots and other raw veggies adds fiber, minerals and vitamins, with very few calories. Raw fibrous veggies will add bulk to the diet, which will reduce appetite as well.

This is a start, but as you see most of the work is your planning.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, DBs, and everyone else.
    However, what I am interested in is how should training reflect in the diet.
    For example if I train from noon to 2pm, does it mean I have to consume large amounts of complex carbs in the morning and some simpler carbs just before/during/after training? If then I am not doing anything in the evening should I be cutting out carbs altogether until next morning?
    I wont question protein consumption. I think ingesting some every 2 hours or so is a good idea. Obviously make a special effort to ingest some after training.
    Now as far as fat is concerned, I am once again somewhat puzzled. On one side you hear ppl saying that fat+protein prior to training (say 2-3 hours) is a good idea, others say that most fat should be consumed in the evening.

The reason I am asking all this is cause I have started to find myself lacking in energy more and more often during training. I used to train at 5pm but moved to an earlier slot. The difference is in one more meal. I would have usually had a proper lunch before training. Now I only have breakfast (at 8-9am) and some protein/carb supplement at (10-11am). Relatively little fat in the morning. I must be getting about 1200-1500 kcals from these 2 meals and yet I run out of energy very quickly.

Suggestion greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ilyich

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Your workout prep meal 3 hours before training should fill your muscles with glycogen so you're ready to train. Good carbs like brown rice, yams etc. Keep your h2o intake high. Then immediately after training consume about 75-100 grams of simple and complex carbs, and add 5-10 grams of creatine. These will replenish your glycogen levels so you don't remain in a catabolic state. Follow that an hour of so with your protein. If you're energy during training begins to lag then consider a sports drink...1/2 while warming up and 1/2 throughout training. However, dehydration may also cause that so first be sure you're totally hydrated prior to training. 32 oz of h2o BEFORE training should ensure it plus while training of course.

Thread Information