growboy is offline Associate Member

Is it ok to drink pasturized raw eggwhites?

Can't find the post but I read once that you have to cook your eggwhites to make them bioavailable to you. I tend to drink them raw for convienance, but is this just wasting then unless they are cooked.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Cooking the eggs makes the proteins more digestable to the body.

But are u still reaping benifits from them if they are raw. I'm considering using raw as a bedtime drink to sustain me trough the night?

skitz1 is offline Junior Member
    I heard that cooking egg whites causes the protein bonds to break and then rearrange in an unnatural formation that doesn't result in optimum digestion?

I'm not sure whether this is true or not, any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skitz1 View Post
    I heard that cooking egg whites causes the protein bonds to break and then rearrange in an unnatural formation that doesn't result in optimum digestion?

I'm not sure whether this is true or not, any ideas?
    No not true, it cause the the proteins to be denatured which means that there normal configuration is changed. It actually cause some of the chemical bonds to break, thus causing it to be easier to digest by the body. Since the body doesnt have to expend energy or have the protein to come into contact with a digestive enzyme to break those bonds.

Also, I'm pretty sure that drinking raw pasteurized egg whites is fine. The whole point of pasteurizing them is to heat them enough to kill any bacteria but not at a temperature hot enough to cook them. You can even buy cartons of pasteurized egg whites and one of the uses is to add to protein shakes.

Ahh, apoligies, Musclescience. You're correct. Apparently the human body struggles to digest raw egg whites because of a substance called avidin.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    You cannot completely or safely digest a raw egg white. You could end up with Salmonella, Also there is an enzyme found in raw egg whites that blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6, which is not optimal. You must cook the egg whites to eliminate the threat of Salmonella and to neutralize the Avidin (enzyme) in order to allow your body to safely digest the protein.

Liquid egg whites, that are low heat pasteurized, cooks the egg whites at 134 degrees. This temperature kills any salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin enzyme without damaging the protein which allows the egg whites to be digested optimally.

Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw

When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs (over 134 degrees), you begin to destroy the true value of the protein.

Drinking pasteurized egg whites is better than cooking them....but the same is not true for raw eggs.

Thanks guys that answers the question!

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    you can drink the pasteurized eggwhites in the cartons

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damiongage View Post
    You cannot completely or safely digest a raw egg white. You could end up with Salmonella, Also there is an enzyme found in raw egg whites that blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6, which is not optimal. You must cook the egg whites to eliminate the threat of Salmonella and to neutralize the Avidin (enzyme) in order to allow your body to safely digest the protein.

Liquid egg whites, that are low heat pasteurized, cooks the egg whites at 134 degrees. This temperature kills any salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin enzyme without damaging the protein which allows the egg whites to be digested optimally.

When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs (over 134 degrees), you begin to destroy the true value of the protein.

Drinking pasteurized egg whites is better than cooking them....but the same is not true for raw eggs.

I think you meant biotin not B-6???

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    Yes, drink them. Raw egg whites are undigestable, as mentioned above, but the pasteruization process neutralizes the Avidin and kills salmonella so they are an awesome, 100% readily available source of protein for your body.

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I had them for breakfast in a protein shake, and I couldn't even taste the egg whites.

nojoke is offline New Member

This is the correct answer...Peace!

NJ

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by ottomaddox View Post
    I had them for breakfast in a protein shake, and I couldn't even taste the egg whites.
    ya i do the same, or just drink them straight....doesn't taste like much to me

Mr_Tobz is offline Junior Member
    This is bad news...I love eggwhites (scrambled)....

What do you mean it destroys the true value of the protein?

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    If you cook them slower and at a lower teperature they should be fine. I like scrambled eggs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tobz View Post
    This is bad news...I love eggwhites (scrambled)....

What do you mean it destroys the true value of the protein?

cam89 is offline Junior Member

Superb Post

Fit N Fun is offline Associate Member
    An old thread, but here is a great link to a study that asses the Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans.

The conclusion is that the digestibility raw egg protein amounted to 51% and cooked egg protein is 91%

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    Bump!

Best bit of information about protein on this site.

I drink 'liquid' egg whites everyday. But about 7 cartons every week and get about 100g of 100% digestable protein a day.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Glad this thread came back to life. Great info.

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone think including egg whites and oatmeal/baked potato in 4 out of 8 meals is a problem? Due to work, ive recently started doing this and i also include a small salad or v8 juice for vit's. Each of my meals typically range around 500 cals. Im speaking in terms of general bb'ing dieting.

LightBearer631 is offline New Member
    Read this, seems to be saying the opposite of what everybody here is saying, and the pastureized whites are more bioavailable than cooked. http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm

pheenyx1 is offline Associate Member
    awesome thread bump.

Thread Information