Thread: BMR Question

BuiltForThis is offline Associate Member

BMR Question

About to start drawing up a cutting diet and just want to make sure I have the correct number of calories to base my macro percentages off of. Should I use the Harris-Benedict or the Katch-McArdle formula?

Also If I use the Katch-McArdle formula do I still apply the subtract 500 calories for a cutting phase and add 500 calories for a bulking phase?
    Last edited by BuiltForThis; 05-22-2008 at 12:26 PM.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Use Katch-McArdle. You dont have to start in a deficit. Just make sure your killing cardio.

Okay, so pretty much start at maintenance with cardio. When I see the fat loss starting to level off begin to incorporate a deficit in calories?

yup, thats what im doin

Any opinon on HIIT or tradional cardio? I plan on doing tradional PWO and on my days off try HIIT for 20 minutes.

I do steady-state, fasted, AM cardio bc sprinting is hard on my knees. I love HIIT, I highly recommend it. Its good to use a few different types of cardio and roatate them. I just cant because I have bad knees and feet, so its good old boring 45 minute AM cardio sessions for me. You will get many different opinions on cardio on this board. You just have to find what is effective for you and make sure you stay dedicated to it.

True, thanks for the input. I definitely appreciate it.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    I do steady-state, fasted, AM cardio bc sprinting is hard on my knees. I love HIIT, I highly recommend it. Its good to use a few different types of cardio and roatate them. I just cant because I have bad knees and feet, so its good old boring 45 minute AM cardio sessions for me. You will get many different opinions on cardio on this board. You just have to find what is effective for you and make sure you stay dedicated to it.
    Can't you just so HIIT on elliptical ?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuiltForThis View Post
    Any opinon on HIIT or tradional cardio? I plan on doing tradional PWO and on my days off try HIIT for 20 minutes.
    I just started incorporating HIIT into my cardio regiment. I do cardio 4 days PWO, two of which are steady-state 60% MHR 30 min. sessions, and two are HIIT for about 20 min. I am thinking about working in another HIIT session on the weekend (my non-training days). I just started but hope to see some nice results soon. Like Abbot said, mixing up the cardio is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Can't you just so HIIT on elliptical ?
    You know what, thats not a bad idea, i might try that. I've never been a huge fan of cardio PWO in general, but I think I might give that a try. Thanks. Haven't been on an ellitical in a looooong time.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    You know what, thats not a bad idea, i might try that. I've never been a huge fan of cardio PWO in general, but I think I might give that a try. Thanks. Haven't been on an ellitical in a looooong time.
    I like the elliptical but don't feel like I can achieve a full sprint on it, which is vital for HIIT. Give it a shot...it might work for you.

That was my main concern, i was actually talking to a friend of mine the does HIIT after i posted my comment and he said it is kind of hard to hit a full sprint on an elliptical...ill give it a shot, what the hell

Thread Information