Blue72 is offline Junior Member

Which oils should be taken?

For a necessary bulking diet, which kinds of oils should be added in to satisfy fat needs?

goose is offline Banned
    Coconut oil is the healthiest oil on the planet.Another incredible fact about coconut oil is that even though it is a fat, it actually promotes weight loss!! The reason is again because of the healthy medium chain fatty acids. These fatty acids do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats, but are sent directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into energy, just like carbohydrates. So the body uses the fat in coconut oil to produce energy, rather than be stored as body fat.

The other would be krill oil its 10 more effective than fish oil,but fish all too.
    Last edited by goose; 05-29-2008 at 12:49 PM.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Good post, goose. Coconut oil does not get enough attention on this board.

Krill oil IMHO is still vastly overpriced given what fish oil can be purchased at.

Here is further benefits of coconut oil (taken from another board). Although, most of the information was obtained from what some might call a bias source, it certainly doesn't disprove the innumerable health benefits.

Source: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.

Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.

Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.

Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.

Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.

Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.

Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.

Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.

Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.

Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.

Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.

Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.

Helps protect against osteoporosis.

Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.

Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.

Improves digestion and bowel function.

Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.

Reduces inflammation.

Supports tissue healing and repair.

Supports and aids immune system function.

Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.

Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.

Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.

Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.

Functions as a protective antioxidant.

Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.

Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.

Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.

Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).

Reduces epileptic seizures.

Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.

Dissolves kidney stones.

Helps prevent liver disease.

Is lower in calories than all other fats.

Supports thyroid function.

Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.

Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.

Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.

Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.

Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.

Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.

Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.

Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.

Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.

Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.

Helps control dandruff.

Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.

Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.

Is completely non-toxic to humans.

Coconut Oil

While coconut possesses many health benefits due to its fiber and nutritional content, it's the oil that makes it a truly remarkable food and medicine.

Once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content, it is now known that the fat in coconut oil is a unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many health giving properties. It is now gaining long overdue recognition as a nutritious health food.

Coconut oil has been described as "the healthiest oil on earth." That's quite a remarkable statement. What makes coconut oil so good? What makes it different from all other oils, especially other saturated fats?

The difference is in the fat molecule. All fats and oils are composed of molecules called fatty acids. There are two methods of classifying fatty acids. The first you are probably familiar with, is based on saturation. You have saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats. Another system of classification is based on molecular size or length of the carbon chain within each fatty acid. Fatty acids consist of long chains of carbon atoms with hydrogen atoms attached. In this system you have short-chain fatty acids (SCFA), medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), and long-chain fatty acids (LCFA). Coconut oil is composed predominately of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), also known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCT).

The vast majority of fats and oils in our diets, whether they are saturated or unsaturated or come from animals or plants, are composed of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA). Some 98 to 100% of all the fatty acids you consume are LCFA.

The size of the fatty acid is extremely important. Why? Because our bodies respond to and metabolize each fatty acid differently depending on its size. So the physiological effects of MCFA in coconut oil are distinctly different from those of LCFA more commonly found in our foods. The saturated fatty acids in coconut oil are predominately medium-chain fatty acids. Both the saturated and unsaturated fat found in meat, milk, eggs, and plants (including most all vegetable oils) are composed of LCFA.

MCFA are very different from LCFA. They do not have a negative effect on cholesterol and help to protect against heart disease. MCFA help to lower the risk of both atherosclerosis and heart disease. It is primarily due to the MCFA in coconut oil that makes it so special and so beneficial.

There are only a very few good dietary sources of MCFA. By far the best sources are from coconut and palm kernel oils.

TR'05 is offline Member
    I should point out to the TS that any oils used in any diet should be properly supplemented given individuals' daily requirements- as the, overused, reply on this board is: "make sure it fits into your macros."

Coconut oil is high in saturated fats; so, be mindful of this when supplementing with it.

goose is offline Banned
    Nice post Tr,Im just pissed I have not been using Coconut oil years ago.It truly is amazing and puzzling why its not used more often with athletes,you look at the diets of 100 meter Olympic runners it in there menu.

Agreed krill oil is expensive to some degree compared to fish oil.Here are some stats on it.

Over 300 times greater than Vitamins A & E
    Over 48 times greater than *****-3
    Over 34 times greater than Co Q-10
    It has also been clinically proven to increase HDL by up to 44% and reduce LDL by up to 34%

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TR'05 View Post
    I should point out to the TS that any oils used in any diet should be properly supplemented given individuals' daily requirements- as the, overused, reply on this board is: "make sure it fits into your macros."

Coconut oil is high in saturated fats; so, be mindful of this when supplementing with it.

Yes 3-4 tea spoons is perfect.....per day.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goose4 View Post
    Nice post Tr,Im just pissed I have not been using Coconut oil years ago.It truly is amazing and puzzling why its not used more often with athletes,you look at the diets of 100 meter Olympic runners it in there menu.
    Thanks goose.

Quality information you've presented, also.

It's even more puzzling when one considers how much money is blown on utterly useless supplements. People need to stick to the products that actually have proven scientific backing.

So maybe like a tea spoon of coconut or krill oil with three out of 7 meals a day would be good? Do I just put it in a teaspoon and simply drink it?

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue72 View Post
    So maybe like a tea spoon of coconut or krill oil with three out of 7 meals a day would be good? Do I just put it in a teaspoon and simply drink it?
    Krill oil comes in caps.

Coconut oil is just like olive oil in its use......

Also is an apple good with a protein shake right after a workout to help with glucose?

Quote Originally Posted by goose4 View Post
    Krill oil comes in caps.

Coconut oil is just like olive oil in its use......
    So...I eat the krill oil cap and drink the coconut oil?

MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member
    Can you cook with Coconut Oil?

goose is offline Banned
    Guys....I said its just like the use of olive oil.You can use it for cooking and over salads ETC.

Yes you do eat krill caps (swallow) Duh....

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    how does flax oil compare to these as that's what i have mostly

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    how does flax oil compare to these as that's what i have mostly
    Nothing wrong with flax at all.It is a vegetable oil.You need to add some fish oil too.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Flax oil is, in comparison to fish oil, krill oil, and coconut oil, is sub-par.

It certainly is a great source of ALA; and, therefore, certain essential fatty acids. But, in choosing an ***** 3 supplement, there are FAR superior choices.

EDIT: I should add that flax SEEDS, as opposed to oil, are a better way to supplement ALA into one's diet; again, in my opinion. The seeds are very high in fibre (great for improving insulin sensitive) and also have anti-estrogen properties.
    Last edited by TR'05; 05-27-2008 at 01:10 PM.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So it sounds like supplementing fish oil and coconut oil is the way to go. Would EVOO add anything to the mix?

TR'05 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    So it sounds like supplementing fish oil and coconut oil is the way to go. Would EVOO add anything to the mix?
    Totally depends on the rest of one's diet- as with any supplement. EVOO IMO adds little; unless of course one if low in saturated fats.

Coconut oil should only be used if one needs to supplement saturated fats (yes, saturated fats are critically important to a proper "diet"). I choose it over EVOO owing to the taste, which I am a big fan of, and the other mentioned benefits.

Fish oil should, unequivocally, be supplemented if one does not eat fish on a regular basis- EPA and DHA are absolutely invaluable.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR'05 View Post
    Totally depends on the rest of one's diet- as with any supplement. EVOO IMO adds little; unless of course one if low in saturated fats.

Coconut oil should only be used if one needs to supplement saturated fats (yes, saturated fats are critically important to a proper "diet"). I choose it over EVOO owing to the taste, which I am a big fan of, and the other mentioned benefits.

Fish oil should, unequivocally, be supplemented if one does not eat fish on a regular basis- EPA and DHA are absolutely invaluable.
    Thanks for the info bro!

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Flax Seeds

Krill Oil

Coconut Oil

All you need...

Just curious Goose, how much Krill Oil do you take a day?

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Flax Seeds

Krill Oil

Coconut Oil

All you need...

Just curious Goose, how much Krill Oil do you take a day?
    I dont use flax.

SO as for sups I use krill oil and fish oil,with krill oil I use one cap that is 500mg.

Coconut oil I use for cooking only.

DeputyLoneWolf is offline Associate Member
    man...I'm allergic to coconuts...No Fair!! I shouldn't have read that article. Plus if I'm ever marooned on a desert island I'm screwed!

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyLoneWolf View Post
    man...I'm allergic to coconuts...No Fair!! I shouldn't have read that article. Plus if I'm ever marooned on a desert island I'm screwed!
    No problem you could use this,its alot better But expensive,I use it for cutting,as I carb cycle and have days with zero carbs.

http://cheap-supplements.co.uk/pvl-m...il-p-1054.html
    Last edited by goose; 05-29-2008 at 02:22 PM.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    It all depends upon ones diet. If you want to know which oils are ESSENTIAL they are LNA and LA; ***** 3 and 6. Human enzymes cannot insert double bonds in fatty acid chains in the sme fashion that plants can. Therefore, they are essential because we cannot produce them ourselves...just the same as soe amino acids are essential because we cant make them and MUST get them from diet.

The best balance of these is 2:1 w3:w6 (w = o m e g a). This naturally comes in hemp oil along wth gla. But depending on your diet you may need to supplement differently.

Thread Information