Thread: Grapefruit

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired

Grapefruit

I am collecting info on grapefruit and there many different positive effects on the human body and there interaction and possible aid in steroid use . If anyone has any good info or studies please send them to me.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Bump!

i love grapefruit.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I always chase d-bols with grapefruit juice to increase absorption. I would imagine it would increase the absorption of any oral. I am sure you knew this beast just chiming in.

Garnelek is offline Associate Member
    I remember reading a thread that grapefruit can increase the absorption of some orals...
    Don't remember which tho!Does anyone have the link or remember which?

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnelek View Post
    I remember reading a thread that grapefruit can increase the absorption of some orals...
    Don't remember which tho!Does anyone have the link or remember which?
    Yes it does on all orals,increases bio rate.Old tai did a paper on this.All I know is the pink grapefruit is the best.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Drug interactions
    Main article: List of drugs affected by grapefruit
    Grapefruit can have a number of interactions with drugs, often increasing the effective potency of compounds. Grapefruit contains naringin, bergamottin and dihydroxybergamottin, which inhibit the protein isoform CYP3A4 in the intestine. It is via inhibition of this enzyme that grapefruit increases the effects of a variety of drugs.[10][11][12][13][14] The effect of grapefruit juice with regard to drug absorption was originally discovered in 1989. However, the effect became well-publicized after being responsible for a number of deaths due to overdosing on medication.[15]

[edit] Nutritional properties
    Grapefruit, raw, white, all areas
    Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 30 kcal 140 kJ
    Carbohydrates 8.41 g
    - Sugars 7.31 g
    - Dietary fiber 1.1 g
    Fat 0.10 g
    Protein 0.69 g
    Water 90.48 g
    Thiamin (Vit. B1) 0.037 mg 3%
    Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.020 mg 1%
    Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.269 mg 2%
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.283 mg 6%
    Vitamin B6 0.043 mg 3%
    Folate (Vit. B9) 10 μg 3%
    Vitamin C 33.3 mg 56%
    Calcium 12 mg 1%
    Iron 0.06 mg 0%
    Magnesium 9 mg 2%
    Phosphorus 8 mg 1%
    Potassium 148 mg 3%
    Zinc 0.07 mg 1%
    Manganese 0.013 mg

Percentages are relative to US
    recommendations for adults.
    Source: USDA Nutrient database
    Grapefruit is an excellent source of many nutrients and phytochemicals, able to contribute to a healthy diet. Grapefruit is a good source of vitamin C,[8][16] pectin fiber,[17] and the pink and red hues contain the beneficial antioxidant lycopene.[8][18] Studies have shown grapefruit helps lower cholesterol[8][19] and there is evidence that the seeds have high levels of antioxidant properties.[20] Grapefruit forms a core part of the "grapefruit diet", the theory being that the fruit's low glycemic index is able to help the body's metabolism burn fat.[21]

Grapefruit seed extract has been claimed to be a strong antimicrobial with proven activity against bacteria and fungi. However, studies have shown the efficacy of grapefruit seed extract as an antimicrobial is not demonstrated. Although GSE is promoted as a highly effective plant-based preservative by some natural personal care manufacturers, studies indicate the universal antimicrobial activity associated with GSE preparations is merely due to contamination with synthetic preservatives.[22][23][24][25][26]

A 2007 study found a correlation between eating a quarter of grapefruit daily and a 30% increase in risk for breast cancer in post-menopausal women. The study points to the inhibition of CYP3A4 enzyme by grapefruit, which metabolizes estrogen.[27]

That was taken from wikipedia. Grapefruit is also an Alkali fruit, but im not 100% sure what effect or relevence that has on drug absorbtion.

Bulldog1115 is offline Member
    grapefruit also acts as a natural fat burner from what ive heard

muscleporsche is offline Associate Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1115 View Post
    grapefruit also acts as a natural fat burner from what ive heard
    I know this thread is a year old but I heard this and want to know how much Grapefruit to eat to burn fat. Can anyone help with this? When is a good time to eat it...for breakfast? Thanks a lot.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleporsche View Post
    I know this thread is a year old but I heard this and want to know how much Grapefruit to eat to burn fat. Can anyone help with this? When is a good time to eat it...for breakfast? Thanks a lot.
    I wouldn't count on it to burn fat! Best times to consume it would be breakfast and pwo, imo.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    I use GSE (Grapefruit seed extract)

I use it for many different reasons.

As a nasal flush to help keep my sinuses clear and clean or when a cold is going around in the house it can help keep it off of you mixed with saline.

Also, i'll take about 15 drops in a bottle of water and drink it a few days a week to fight bacteria and to get the many health benefits that come along with it.

There's really no limit to the things you can use GSE for. Do a google search and you'll fine tons of stuff about it.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I work in healthcare and we have stopped stocking all grapefruit products because they interfere with some of the meds we use. Mostly psyche and painkiller meds but we figure better safe then sorry.

Thread Information