Canon7 is offline New Member

Are these calulations correct?

My brother has been taking a lot of nutrition courses since his major is Exercise Science and a lot of his information he has been getting from his teachers and books contradict a lot of what I've learned from these forums and from many bodybuilding coaches. One main thing we have been aruging about is how much protein one needs in their daily diet, and their calories. His teacher who has a PHd put together a spreadsheet that calculates total caloric needs, bmr, carbs, protein, fat, etc. Here are some of the numbers it is showing for me, a 200lb guy.

3484.845455 <---Total Caloric Needs
    2049.909091 <---Basal Metabolic Rate
    90.90909091 <---Weight in Kilograms
    479.16625 <---# of Grams of Carbohydrate
    47.916625 <---# of Grams of Refined Simple Sugar
    145.4545455 <---# of Grams of Protein
    96.80126263 <---# of Grams of Fat
    29.04037879 <---# of Grams of Saturated Fat
    2962.118636 <---Caloric Needs for Weight Loss
    3659.087727 <---Caloric Needs for Weight Gain

Let me know if these look right, one thing I already disagree with is the protein 145g??? One thing my brother tells me is I eat too much protein (1.5 per pound, I weigh 200) according to his teacher and his books. I know I am right, and he is wrong can I just get some verification from someone who knows their stuff?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    number of refined simple sugars? that chart is a joke, you don't need refined anything, and that chart seems to be based off the "recomended daily values", they are no good for a bodybuilder, just keep doing what your doing

jpeso is offline Junior Member
    im a nutritional science major and a lot of the nutritionists for the sports teams recommend 1.1-1.5 grams per pound at my university

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    From all the books and articles I have read, I have come to the conclusion that nobody is right and most things are based on opinion.

Canon7 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    From all the books and articles I have read, I have come to the conclusion that nobody is right and most things are based on opinion.
    I pretty much agree with you on that. Everyones body is different, it depends how your body reacts to different types of diets. Right now I'm trying out my first low-carb diet to cut for the summer, we'll see how that works out.

Thread Information