CeeLo is offline Senior Member

Nutritional Value in Alcohol

I don't really go out that much, but I was wondering when I do go out if I should have a drink or not.

I know that beer has a lot of Carbs. But what about the Liqour or Vodka? Can an occassional night out on the town w/ drinking be ok for a Strick diet?

G4R
    G4R is offline Anabolic Voice of Reason
    You may find some people that will justify the drinking, but do yourself a favor and if you can, drop the alcohol. It's your call. Really, the only thing you will get out of drinking is drunk. Not worth it for me.

It prob wont hurt to bad with the occasional drink, but why not stop drinking if you can. If your worried about its affects on your diet, use that as motivation to quit.

Good luck bro

SFVpumped is offline New Member
    whiskey and vodka have zero carbs and zero fat.
    but its the effect of the alcohol it self that mess you up.

i know its hard, AA and hot chicks dont help either, but just get your ass looking good by summer THEN drink and party homie!

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    I avoid it at all costs, if i do end up drinking even a few I regret it all week and feel like I have set myself back a week in my progress....Its just not worth it bro......But if you must: vodka and club, vodka tonic, barcardi light rum and diet soda......Like the guy above me said, as much as its about the empty calories, its also about the effects of alcohol; lowers test, raises estrogen, not a great combination for someon trying to improve their physique.
    Last edited by abbot138; 06-02-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Like the guy above me said, as much as its about the empty calories, its also about the effects of alcohol; lowers test, raises estrogen, not a great combination for someon trying to improve their physique.
    The nutritional value looked good until I saw what you said above (in bold), that does not help progress.

My favorite drink is the gimblet (vodka and lime juice). Like I mentioned, I don't drink very often. I probably go 2-3 mos. w/o having a drink and I don't keep too much in the house. If I do, I don't sit around and drink it.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Alcohol is like liquid fat.... its broken down at 7 calories per pure gram.... in other words...80 proof is 40% alcohol by volume..... so 2.5grams of that drink is 7 calories.... which means that 1oz of vodka is roughly 11.3 servings or roughly 79 calories.... and 1 measured shot is 1.5 oz's so every time you take a shot your consuming roughly 120 calories...should be noted that alcohol is broken down into simple sugars and not fats...

Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Alcohol is like liquid fat.... its broken down at 7 calories per pure gram.... in other words...80 proof is 40% alcohol by volume..... so 2.5grams of that drink is 7 calories.... which means that 1oz of vodka is roughly 11.3 servings or roughly 79 calories.... and 1 measured shot is 1.5 oz's so every time you take a shot your consuming roughly 120 calories...should be noted that alcohol is broken down into simple sugars and not fats...
    Ahhh, I have always wondered about that, thanks for the info....Long story short cpreasha, its bad stuff.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah alcohol is bad, but you gotta live your life. When I go to a bar I always have whiskey diet coke. At least there's no added sugar.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    It's basically like eating sugar, only it has 7cal per gram instead of 4. I always thought of it as a super bad carb.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Ahhh, I have always wondered about that, thanks for the info....Long story short cpreasha, its bad stuff.
    I concur. Man, its hard walking a straight line!

Quote Originally Posted by cpreasha View Post
    I concur. Man, its hard walking a straight line!
    Yesssiiirrr. Gotta be strong brotha. WILL POWER!

lil hulk is offline Associate Member
    Alcohol is bad in itself...but ive been on a cutting diet.. started at 240 and droped to 210..in about 15 weeks..and my strength was at its peak.....and i drank EVERY friday and saturday night..but i drank OJ and Viaka..and strong mixes....and that was it

so honestly what im tryin to say is EVERYBODY's body is diffrent and IMO its just finding what works for u and what ur goals are.

MR_T is offline Member
    may be al little off topic but i gave up drinking in my quest to get a six pack lol and have realized that my game has gone way up since I've stopped drinking... It's a little different having a boys night out while drinking tomato juice but you'll get used to it in a couple of months, and your body will thank you

0tolerance is offline Associate Member
    yea alcohol is bad for your body.
    i recently gave up aswell..
    lol i just drink ginger ale and try remember it with whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tolerance View Post
    yea alcohol is bad for your body.
    i recently gave up aswell..
    lol i just drink ginger ale and try remember it with whiskey.
    I dont really see any problem with 3-4 beers once a week if your not on orals... its just about your goals... are you cutting? can you afford the excess calories? ya know...

I'm not cutting per say, but I am trying to decrease my bodyfat while increasing my overall mass. So I guess you can say that I am. I want to have the CUT look or bodybuilder look and not the Soft and Big look.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I'm not cutting per say, but I am trying to decrease my bodyfat while increasing my overall mass. So I guess you can say that I am. I want to have the CUT look or bodybuilder look and not the Soft and Big look.
    I had to read this like 3 times.

You are trying to lower body fat and have a lean look? You are cutting. Diet is everything. Forget about ice cream and alcohol(and while your forgetting those things might as well forget about Real World). When you get to where you want to be, reward yourself.

In reality you have to chose which one you want more, decreasing body fat or increasing mass. You can't do both effectively at the same time. Pick one. Alternate them over several months.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    I had to read this like 3 times.

You are trying to lower body fat and have a lean look? You are cutting. Diet is everything. Forget about ice cream and alcohol(and while your forgetting those things might as well forget about Real World). When you get to where you want to be, reward yourself.

In reality you have to chose which one you want more, decreasing body fat or increasing mass. You can't do both effectively at the same time. Pick one. Alternate them over several months.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    I believe that it can be done. Like you say, diet is everything. I have given up TONS of stuff and I am new to it. The diet thing. I am probably one 3 weeks into a PROPER diet, so therefore the NOOB questions on diet.

I believe that it is possible to continue to put on muscle mass and still have a 6 pack!

I understand that if you want massive mass. Then you have to eat 5000 clories and then cut 75-100 lbs, but I'm not competing for MR. USA, just yet.

I believe that it can be done. Like you say, diet is everything. I have given up TONS of stuff and I am new to it. The diet thing. I am probably one 3 weeks into a PROPER diet, so therefore the NOOB questions on diet.

I believe that it is possible to continue to put on muscle mass and still have a 6 pack!

I understand that if you want massive mass. Then you have to eat 5000 clories and then cut 75-100 lbs, but I'm not competing for MR. USA, just yet.
    Actually thats an incorrect statement as the worlds best bodybuilders stay around 10% these days year round

Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Actually thats an incorrect statement as the worlds best bodybuilders stay around 10% these days year round
    Who's statement are you saying is incorrect? I am basically saying what you are saying in the latter part of my post!

Wow! That's pretty good to hear. I haven't really followed the bodybuilding persons in quite some time. I was under the impression that they put on a lot of weight in the off season and then cut up before shows.

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    rewarding yourself is key, when i reached one of my goals, i then headed to friendlys to down a crowd pleaser and 2 mcfrenzies and i had to finish my friends girlfriends milkshake which was half full, 25 minutes worth of work.. now i am back on the grind for my next goal and i'm going strong

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    here's an alcohol calorie calculator,

it's amazing how many calories this stuff has, you put how much you drink of each a week and it gives you weekly, monthly and yearly calories, i put how much a couple of my friends drink and it equaled 301,440 calories a year!!!

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention...coholcalc.aspx
    Last edited by Phate; 06-05-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Who's statement are you saying is incorrect? I am basically saying what you are saying in the latter part of my post!

Wow! That's pretty good to hear. I haven't really followed the bodybuilding persons in quite some time. I was under the impression that they put on a lot of weight in the off season and then cut up before shows.
    Ya dude check out Phil hernon or cutler.... ronnie.... dexter ... all those guys stay pretty lean in the off season..... anything over 15% isnt necessary IMO I was recently alot higher and I felt like crap and didnt gain as much muscle as I could have with cardio and a decent diet...

Thread Information