Scarface69 is offline Associate Member

Exclamation Difference between fat sources and whats really neccessery!!

Whats the difference between the saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and trans fats? which one is good and which we should avoid?

I'm trying to find a good sources for fat which will include a variaty of Omga 3, 6 and 9.

My current diet includes the following fats;

- flax seed oil, which includes omga 3 and 6.

- olive oil, which includes monounsaturated fat (dunno which omga it includes??)

- peanut butter, which includes saturated fat (I know sat fat is needed but not in excess, right?)

- almonds, all I know is its a very good fat source (hope someone can explain what it includes!!)

I was also thinking to add fish oil but was not sure if its really needed? what other fat sources that includes omga 9?

let me know what you guys consume it terms of good fats..
    Last edited by Scarface69; 05-31-2008 at 12:28 PM.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Saturated=Bad, Trans=Very Bad. Rule of thumb, if the fat is solid at room temperature its usually bad (butter), if its liquid is usually good (Flax Oil).

FirstTimeRage is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Saturated=Bad, Trans=Very Bad. Rule of thumb, if the fat is solid at room temperature its usually bad (butter), if its liquid is usually good (Flax Oil).
    Butter isn't bad for you.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I was giving an example of a solid fat at room temperature. That being said please elaborate on the benefits of vaseline..errr butter in a bodybuilding diet?

It's one of the best things for cooking with because its saturated nature means it is much more stable than oils, and so the heat doesn't turn the molecules into nasty fats that damage your health.

Fatty Acids:
    Butter has appreciable amounts of butyric acid, used by the colon as an energy source. This fatty acid is also a known anti-carcinogen. Lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid, is a potent antimicrobial and antifungal substance. Butter also contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which gives excellent protection against cancer. Range-fed cows produce especially high levels of CLA as opposed to "stall fed" cattle. It pays, then, to get your butter from a cow that has been fed properly. Butter also has small, but equal, amounts of ***** 3 and 6 fatty acids, the so-called essential fatty acids.

Cholesterol:
    Despite all of the misinformation you may have heard, cholesterol is needed to maintain intestinal health, but is also needed for brain and nervous system development in the young. Again, this emphasizes the need for cholesterol-rich foods for children. Human breast milk is extremely high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Minerals:
    Butter is rich in trace minerals, especially selenium, a powerful antioxidant. Ounce for ounce, butter has more selenium per gram than either whole wheat or garlic. Butter also supplies iodine, needed by the thyroid gland (as well as vitamin A, also needed by the thyroid gland)

Vitamins:
    Butter is a rich source of easily absorbed vitamin A, needed for a wide range of functions in the body, from maintaining good vision, to keeping the endocrine system in top shape. Butter also contains all the other fat-soluble vitamins (E, K, and D).

Glycospingolipids:
    These are a special category of fatty acids that protect against gastrointestinal infections, especially in the very young and the elderly. Children, therefore, should not drink skim or low fat milk. Those that do have higher rates of diarrhea than those that drink whole milk.

When looking for good quality butter, raw and cultured is best. This might be hard to find, however. Organic butter is your next best thing

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Saturates are not bad.

The fats your actually require are LNA and LA. You can get these from a variety of sources. Fish is great.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    whats kinds of fish tuna or no what?

pretty much anything except tuna.
    Salmon being the best id say.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes saturated fats usually solidify at room temperature but they are not bad. You need saturated fats albeit it should be monitored.

What about monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and trans fats? which one is good and which we should avoid?

Whats a good source for Omga 9 ??

A rich source of ***** 9 fatty acid is Olive oil.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarface69 View Post
    What about monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and trans fats? which one is good and which we should avoid?

Whats a good source for Omga 9 ??
    The only one to avoid is trans fat.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    no need to "avoid" fats. if you are the one cooking your food more than likely trans fats are out. myself, I don't substitute fats into my diet. i may be an exception on this board, but the only fats i ingest come from my protein and carb sources.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    no need to "avoid" fats. if you are the one cooking your food more than likely trans fats are out. myself, I don't substitute fats into my diet. i may be an exception on this board, but the only fats i ingest come from my protein and carb sources.
    No more peanut butter? I thought you were an addict.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    There's the way to go!

There are many many benefits to adding oils to your diet that you most likely are lacking from your foods. It is definitely possible to fill your essential oil requirements through diet alone but there are benefits to adding fats as well.

There is no right or wrong but I would never suggest people avoid fats. Some people have a great grasp of nutrition and dont need to add fats. But most and i really stress MOST do not understand the anatomy of the digestive system and how to eat for health as well as overall goals. Adding fats can give you better energy, overall improvement in body health and help slow the processing of foods in the gut allowing your glucose levels to remain more stable between meals. Hence, keeping your appetite at bay in times of dieting.

Great post Bino... may I ask what fats do you consume dialy and think they are a 'must' in a diet??

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface69 View Post
    Great post Bino... may I ask what fats do you consume dialy and think they are a 'must' in a diet??
    Definitely gotta get a good balance of *****'s 3 and 6. A 2:1 ratio is best and you can have equal parts 6 and 9 as well; so 2:1:1 is what your body would use most beneficially.

I take hemp oil because if you are to take 1 single oil it is the most balanced.

I also eat a lot of fish and about half as much red meat giving me approximately the same balance via food intake.

I love peanut butter so I will use that from time to time.

I try to keep a balance at each meal. PWO I dont include fats, but its also noteable that in my last meal I dont include carbs...so it is a balance again.

I plan to take in 1tsp per meal of hemp oil when I am done dieting and start to gain again. See how it goes.

But I really believe that having a lot of fish and including hemp has given me better joint health and a nice polished look to my skin.

Plus if you got some extra hemp, throw it on your skin with some vitamin E and aloe vera when you are in the sun and it will give you a nice golden tan LOL. And im actually not joking.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    Definitely gotta get a good balance of *****'s 3 and 6. A 2:1 ratio is best and you can have equal parts 6 and 9 as well; so 2:1:1 is what your body would use most beneficially.

I take hemp oil because if you are to take 1 single oil it is the most balanced.

I also eat a lot of fish and about half as much red meat giving me approximately the same balance via food intake.

I try to keep a balance at each meal. PWO I dont include fats, but its also noteable that in my last meal I dont include carbs...so it is a balance again.

I plan to take in 1tsp per meal of hemp oil when I am done dieting and start to gain again. See how it goes.

But I really believe that having a lot of fish and including hemp has given me better joint health and a nice polished look to my skin.
    Nice post.

If you eat salmon every day, you don't really need to sup fats.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post

It seems that I'm gonna follow your tips on the 2:1:1 ratio for Omga 3, 6 and 9. now I just need to find out the sources for these fats..

based on your experience, What would you consider a good sources for Omga 3, 6 and 9, seperatley?

Alright, I found this article that might be helpful for anyone that come across this thread.. it shows the difference between the EFA's and the sources for each!

O m e g a-3 and O m e g a-6

Two important polyunsaturated fatty acids are linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid. Linoleic acid is used to build *****-6 fatty acids and alpha-linolenic acid is used to build *****-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids cannot be synthesized in the body and must be supplied by the diet. They are called essential fatty acids. *****-3 and *****-6 fatty acids are important in the normal functioning of all tissues of the body. You should make sure you include good sources of *****-3 and *****-6 each day.

Pregnant women have an increased need for *****-3 and *****-6 fatty acids. They are needed for the fetal growth, brain development, learning and behavior. Lactating women should also increase their fatty acids intake, since infants receive their essential fatty acids through the breast milk.

*****-6 fatty acids can be found in leafy vegetables, seeds, nuts, grains and vegetable oils (corn, safflower, soybean, cottonseed, sesame, sunflower). Most diets provide adequate amounts of *****-6. Unless you eat a diet that is extremely low in fat, it is very easy to get more than enough *****-6. Supplementation of *****-6 is usually not necessary.

*****-3 fatty acids can be found in far less foods than *****-6 fatty acids. Many people have a very low intake of *****-3s. Since *****-6 fatty acids compete with *****-3 fatty acids for use in the body, it is important to take these fatty acids in the proper ratio. The ratio of *****-6 to *****-3 should be about 2:1. Since most diets are very rich in *****-6 and low in *****-3, the ratio is often somewhere between 10:1 and 20:1. This is especially a problem with diets that are high in processed foods and oils. OIls like corn, safflower, sunflower and cottonseed are usually low in *****-3s. To balance the fatty acids out, it is important to eat a diet that is low in processed foods and with fat mainly coming from *****-3 fatty acids.

Many people have a deficiency of *****-3 without realizing it, since the symptoms can often be attributed to other health conditions or nutrient deficiencies. Symptoms of an *****-3 deficiency include fatigue, dry and/or itchy skin, brittle hair and nails, constipation, depression, frequent colds, poor concentration, lack of physical endurance and joint pain.

Good O m e g a-3 sources

ground flaxseed

oils (like flaxseed oil, linseed oil, canola oil, walnut oil, wheat germ oil and soybean oil)

green leafy vegetables (like lettuce, broccoli, kale, spinach and purslane)

legumes (like mungo, kidney, navy, pinto, lima beans, peas and split peas)

citrus fruits, melons, cherries

*****-3s are damaged by heat, so the oils should not be cooked with. They are also damaged by oxidation; that's why you should store the oils in dark bottles in the refrigerator or freezer.

The absolute best source of *****-3 is flaxseeds or flaxseed oil. One teaspoon of flaxseed oil or one tablespoon of ground flaxseed will supply the daily requirement of *****-3. Flaxseeds need to be ground for your body to be able to absorb the *****-3 from them. You can grind flaxseeds in a spice grinder. Once flaxseeds are ground, the shells don't protect them from oxidation anymore and you will need to store them in the refrigerator or freezer, just like the oils.

O m e g a-9

*****-9 is a family of fatty acids which includes two major fatty acids called stearic acid and oleic acid. Stearic acid is a saturated fat which can be converted to oleic acid, which is monounsaturated. Oleic acid is the most abundant fatty acid found in nature and the primary oil produced by skin glands.

O m e g a-9 is a nonessential fatty acid, since it is produced naturally by the body. It does not need to be supplemented. *****-9 is mainly used when there is an insufficiency of either *****-3, *****-6 or both. When the body doesn't have enough *****-3 or *****-6, it tries to compensate by producing *****-9 fatty acids to take their place. *****-9 derivatives aren't as effective as *****-3 or *****-6 though and our health will eventually suffer.
    Last edited by Scarface69; 06-02-2008 at 10:42 PM.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great post scarface! I didn't see fish oil listed, did I miss it somehow? I am guessing that it is an ***** -3 fatty acid?

Thread Information