ScottyDog is offline Junior Member

Phasing into a new Diet

Getting back into working out after a long slump. Tried changing my diet before using guidelinew from this site, but found the food shock to be too overwhelming and obviously couldn't stick to them. Not to mention I worked 40 miles from home and the office had no fridge to store anything. This made preparing meals extremely difficult.

This time, I've decided to make a smoother transition. The diet I'm coming off of consisted of 2-3 meals per day of crap(cereal, fast food, soda, large heavy meals at night, etc).

Been on the following diet this past week, and not only has it been a bit smoother transition, I'm actually just feeling better overall.

Meal 1
    3 egg whites cooked and mixed with oatmeal

Meal 2
    Whey Protein shake w/ milk

Meal 3
    Chicken breast, brown rice, mixed veggies

Meal 4
    Apple + handfull of almonds

Meal 5
    Chicken breast, small salad with light balsamic vinegar, mixed veggies

Meal 6

Calories: 1522
    143 grams of protein
    142 grams carbs
    42.5 grams fat

Me:
    6'0"
    175lbs
    17.5% BF
    Body shape: slim, slightly broad shoulders, slight gut

Obviously, this meal plan is strictly transitional, I'll be adding more protein and I think I should be adding a bit more fat. What do you guys think? I'm I headed in the right direction?
    Last edited by ScottyDog; 06-06-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDog View Post
    Getting back into working out after a long slump. Tried changing my diet before using guidelinew from this site, but found the food shock to be too overwhelming and obviously couldn't stick to them. Not to mention I worked 40 miles from home and the office had no fridge to store anything. This made preparing meals extremely difficult.

This time, I've decided to make a smoother transition. The diet I'm coming off of consisted of 2-3 meals per day of crap(cereal, fast food, soda, large heavy meals at night, etc).

Been on the following diet this past week, and not only has it been a bit smoother transition, I'm actually just feeling better overall.

Meal 1
    3 egg whites cooked and mixed with oatmeal
    try adding three-4 egg whites in here
    Meal 2
    no shake, try 6oz of tuna with some light mayo(220cal-42gPro-6gCarb-4gFat
    Meal 3
    Chicken breast, brown rice, mixed veggies
    brown rice is a poor carb, i would sub a sweet potato or oatmeal in here
    Meal 4
    Apple + handfull of almonds
    where's the protein, pro/carb or pro/fat meals, take out the apple and eat some lean beef(96/4) and get some fish oil and take 1-2 tsps(5-10mL) with an oral syringe
    Meal 5
    Chicken breast, small salad with light balsamic vinegar, mixed veggies

Meal 6
    whey is fast digesting and milk has alot of hidden sugar, eat some lean beef with/without some casein protein
    Calories: 1522
    143 grams of protein
    142 grams carbs
    42.5 grams fat

Me:
    6'0"
    175lbs
    17.5% BF

Obviously, this meal plan is strictly transitional, I'll be adding more protein and I think I should be adding a bit more fat. What do you guys think? I'm I headed in the right direction?
    i think you should double the protein, keep the carbs around the same if you're cutting and up the fat by about 20g provided they are good fats

macros on the food would be nice, how much protein, carbs, fat per meal

you can have a shake after your workout if you like but get as much real food in your diet as possible

Macro: protein/carb/fat

Meal 1: 17/27/3
    Meal 2: 29/16/6
    Meal 3: 32/38/5
    Meal 4: 7/39/15
    Meal 5: 29/2/7.5
    Meal 6: 29/16/6

Thx Phate,

I'll start incorporating your tips into my diet this week. One question though. For Meal 3, you recommended adding oats with my chicken. Do you usually eat the raw oats, or do you actually have oatmeal(water mixed in)? Just seems like a large meal(chicken breast, mixed veggies and a bowl of oatmeal!)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDog View Post
    Thx Phate,

I'll start incorporating your tips into my diet this week. One question though. For Meal 3, you recommended adding oats with my chicken. Do you usually eat the raw oats, or do you actually have oatmeal(water mixed in)? Just seems like a large meal(chicken breast, mixed veggies and a bowl of oatmeal!)
    i mix the oats with water to make oatmeal and add artificial sweetener and some cinnamon, if you go to the diet section i wrote a thread on how to make any flavor of oatmeal using tea and a percolator

the meal can be big, but that's good as it's also not excessively caloric yet fills you up, eat the chicken and oatmeal first as they are the primary nutrients in the meal, then eat the veggies to your liking

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Phate186: Why do you think brown rice is a bad carb choice? The GI for brown rice is 55 which is really close to sweet potato's 54. The only reason I wouldn't incoporate brown rice into my diet is if I were like 8% bf striving for 5% (contest prep). Just wondering what you have heard about brown rice that makes it a "bad carb"?

texasmk4 is offline Associate Member
    I am not sure maybe phate knows something i don't but from what i know and heard brown rice has good carbs.

these were posted by Goose4(Vet) in another thread

Rice is a poor carb.Brown rice is OK in cutting only.There is hardly any difference in calories between a refined carbohydrate like white rice and an unrefined carbohydrate like brown rice but there is a big difference in fiber content. Food that is high in fiber fills you up faster than food stripped of fiber. I can easily finish two cups of white rice but I can hardly go beyond one cup of brown rice without feeling like I have just swallowed a big stone.

They(Rices) are extremely poor sources of vitamins (particularly vitamins A, B-group, folic acid and C), minerals, antioxidants and phytosterols.They are toxic when raw- there is no doubt about this- it is a fact that no competent source would dispute- they can be extremely dangerous and it is important never to eat them raw or undercooked. Cooking destroys most but not all of the toxins.
    These toxins include enzyme blockers, lectins and other types. once cooked this is often rapidly digestible-giving a high glycemic index (sugar spike).

This was posted by Pinnacle(Hall of Famer) in another thread

Yep. Rice is akin to putting water in a Jaguar. Why use an inferior energy source for a high performance machine such as the human body?
    I know it's shunned upon by some in the BB community, but low GI carbs is what the human body functions best off of. Yes, an even low GI carbs PWO too.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    these were posted by Goose4(Vet) in another thread

Rice is a poor carb.Brown rice is OK in cutting only.There is hardly any difference in calories between a refined carbohydrate like white rice and an unrefined carbohydrate like brown rice but there is a big difference in fiber content. Food that is high in fiber fills you up faster than food stripped of fiber. I can easily finish two cups of white rice but I can hardly go beyond one cup of brown rice without feeling like I have just swallowed a big stone.

They(Rices) are extremely poor sources of vitamins (particularly vitamins A, B-group, folic acid and C), minerals, antioxidants and phytosterols.They are toxic when raw- there is no doubt about this- it is a fact that no competent source would dispute- they can be extremely dangerous and it is important never to eat them raw or undercooked. Cooking destroys most but not all of the toxins.
    These toxins include enzyme blockers, lectins and other types. once cooked this is often rapidly digestible-giving a high glycemic index (sugar spike).

This was posted by Pinnacle(Hall of Famer) in another thread

Yep. Rice is akin to putting water in a Jaguar. Why use an inferior energy source for a high performance machine such as the human body?
    I know it's shunned upon by some in the BB community, but low GI carbs is what the human body functions best off of. Yes, an even low GI carbs PWO too.
    Thanks for the info Phate, although I am not sure I agree 100% with it. Goose's info looks a little more factual than Pinnacle's. Pinnacle talks about the importance of low GI carbs...I would consider a GI of 55 to be low, maybe he considers it moderate. None-the-less thanks for the supporting info.

Thread Information