brjrj0000 is offline Member

maltodextrin and sweetners

Im on a cutting diet right now and was wonder what sweetners if any were ok to take if any. I was ignorant to the fact that they can spike insulin levels from ingrediants such as maltodextrin. Im use to adding them to my coffee and oatmeal are there any that are more acceptable to take or should i do away with them all together. On the packets of sweet and low i do not see maltodextrin... does this mean it wont spike my insulin levels? or am i still not in the clear? thanks in advance

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Maltodextrin is high in calories, similar to dextrose. It is not in any low calorie sweetener and sweet and low doesn't spike insulin . Maybe you were referring to splenda?

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Well maltodextrin is not a sweetener man. It's a carb source just like dextrose.

A sweetener is something like aspartame or sucralose which contains very close to zero calories.

Get some splenda if you are looking to add a bit of sweetness to foods without the cals from sugar.

Xylitol and stevia are other choices as well if you are one of the people who hate artificial sweeteners.

brjrj0000 is offline Member
    splenda contains maltodextrin tho so wouldnt it spike my insulin levels

It is an extremely small amount and it is chemically altered as well. Yes sweeteners can impact insulin or trick your body into a feling as though it has taken in sweets but it is minimal and something I wouldnt even consider. Most people use sweeteners up to the week before a competition and I use them a lot and easily diet to sub8% bodyfat.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    It is an extremely small amount and it is chemically altered as well. Yes sweeteners can impact insulin or trick your body into a feling as though it has taken in sweets but it is minimal and something I wouldnt even consider. Most people use sweeteners up to the week before a competition and I use them a lot and easily diet to sub8% bodyfat.
    Good info C Bino!

Thread Information