Dezeroth is offline Junior Member

Should i do a PWO after my Cardio??

reason why i ask is.... on my cardio days (which is today btw) my daily intake of carbs is the lowest of the week

i usually go about a good 30-35min running, jogging, sprinting and speed walking, basically a good mix of it all

when im done, im left wondering... am i catabolic? should i do a PWO shake? should i take in 80g carbs and 40g of protein? or is that not needed?

in other words.... instead of a carb loaded PWO, can i like do a muscle milk shake instaed which is low in carbs? mostly Pro/Fat

is that ok? if u guys can help me out with this id greatly appreciate it as im bout to go running in 15min.

thanks in advance !!!!

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I would eat a real food meal that is similar to the others that you eat. Eat one that meets your macros.

ohh.... well i just had a gladiator from smoothie king, is that ok?

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    lol no man make your own stuff u can do it just read your ass off

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    WTF is a gladiator!!??!?!? Are you doing your cardio in the morning or during the day?

i dont think u guys understood my question.... let me rephrase it

u know how after a good workout (chest, legs, arms, back, etc...) it is important, almost life and death that u do a PWO shake RIGHT AFTER you finish working out since your catabolic, mostly consisting of 1:2 pro/carb, well..... how bout if i dont workout, but just run instead, do i still need to do a PWO shake? or is my body not catabolic after i run?

No we heard your question loud and clear. I need to know whether you are doing your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, in which case I personally would take a PWO shake. Otherwise I would say just eat a normal pro/carb meal.

no im doing it after work, i usually do it right about the time i need to eat my 4th meal of the day, kinda get my glycogen stores depleted so when im running, im burning fat and not the carb loaded in my liver

while i run i take in about 6g of arginine, 1 serving (5g) of first order for the endurance and about 4tblsp of carnitine to help burn the fat, its a great stack !!!

so does the above make sense or not?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    First, hydrate yourself. Water

Then eat a nice pro/carb meal. with some potassium, i.e. grilled chicken, sweet potato, and green veggies.

Also, if you sweat a lot, throw in a couple pinches of salt in your water.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    It all depends on your daily macro breakdown imo.

After am cardio I just eat what I normally would for my first meal. No need to do 40g whey and 80gdex after cardio. Have whole foods and just stay within your macros. If you are taking in only 100g carbs that day and have had 50g already well than include 50g after cardio through a good source not crap like dextrose.

It really all depends on how you break down your diet. Depending on what muscle group I am training I take in carbs accordingly, sometimes I will eat 50g in a meal and sometimes I will split that same 50g between 2 seperate meals if I am doing a smaller muscle group that day and depending on when those meals fall in relation to my workout.

So really you need to evaluate this based on your diet. There is no set answer that someone can give you without knowing your entire dietary approach. Maybe you are carb cycling maybe you arent. This all plays a roll.

But here is one major tip, if you are serious about dieting and doing it the BEST possible way. Dont even touch whey and dextrose at ANYTIME...

Well let me re-prase. Use it in a SMALL quantity if you need. Even myself on leg and back day will include a 20g serving of waxy maize starch with 10g BCAA's directly after training. But then I go home and eat a meal to fill the rest of the required macros for that PWO meal.

But 80g dex when your dieting sure is blowing a lot of your daily allotment to carbs on bullshit.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    It all depends on your daily macro breakdown imo.

After am cardio I just eat what I normally would for my first meal. No need to do 40g whey and 80gdex after cardio. Have whole foods and just stay within your macros. If you are taking in only 100g carbs that day and have had 50g already well than include 50g after cardio through a good source not crap like dextrose.

It really all depends on how you break down your diet. Depending on what muscle group I am training I take in carbs accordingly, sometimes I will eat 50g in a meal and sometimes I will split that same 50g between 2 seperate meals if I am doing a smaller muscle group that day and depending on when those meals fall in relation to my workout.

So really you need to evaluate this based on your diet. There is no set answer that someone can give you without knowing your entire dietary approach. Maybe you are carb cycling maybe you arent. This all plays a roll.

But here is one major tip, if you are serious about dieting and doing it the BEST possible way. Dont even touch whey and dextrose at ANYTIME...

Well let me re-prase. Use it in a SMALL quantity if you need. Even myself on leg and back day will include a 20g serving of waxy maize starch with 10g BCAA's directly after training. But then I go home and eat a meal to fill the rest of the required macros for that PWO meal.

But 80g dex when your dieting sure is blowing a lot of your daily allotment to carbs on bullshit.

heck yeah. I hate dextrose.
    Made me feel and look like crap

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    heck yeah. I hate dextrose.
    Made me feel and look like crap
    You bet. I have used it and I never would again. So many better AND healtheir choices.

For me now its not just about bodybuilding, its about living a healthy lifestyle. SHovelling in 80-100g of sugar in less than 5 minutes is something I would never do again the rest of my life. I cant justify it for either of my goals (bodybuilding or healthy lifestyle).

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    You bet. I have used it and I never would again. So many better AND healtheir choices.

For me now its not just about bodybuilding, its about living a healthy lifestyle. SHovelling in 80-100g of sugar in less than 5 minutes is something I would never do again the rest of my life. I cant justify it for either of my goals (bodybuilding or healthy lifestyle).
    Just to play devils advocate here but you will never do that again but you will shovel 80-100g of hormones a day? As much as I love it I don't find most bodybuilding to be very healthy overall. Atleast not steroid enchanced.

Quote Originally Posted by T3/T4 GSR View Post
    Just to play devils advocate here but you will never do that again but you will shovel 80-100g of hormones a day? As much as I love it I don't find most bodybuilding to be very healthy overall. Atleast not steroid enchanced.
    Well then your doing it wrong my friend. I get blood work done every 10 weeks and I am a model of health, inside and out. If Im not mistaken you're the same guy who claims the "biggest dudes he knows are at the bars every weekend." So maybe this can help explain your ignorance on the subject. True bodybuilders are concerned with internal health just as much as external appearance.....Obviously one would be healthier without putting any controlled substance in their body (steroids included), but most of the people on this board take pain-staking strides to ensure a healthy overall lifestyle.

thank you everyone for the great posts!!

i have my answer, so basically, eating foods after cardio isnt as crucial as after a hard workout where the PWO is of dire importance!!

eating regular food after cardio will do just fine.... thanks guys !!

Thread Information