Thread: Nark

paddy155 is offline Member

Nark

Nark. I have put together a cutting diet to try and get my bodyfat to the -10% region before I start my lean bulking diet. Can you let me know what you think and what changes you would make.

A little info before I write my diet. 26 years old,196cm tall and 231 lbs. I train 5 days a week free weights,Mon-Fri and was intending to do 60 mins cardio flat out,Mon -Fri morning on an empty stomach as I am starting this cutting diet. Have never done cardio before on empty stomach. So here goes with the diet.

MEAL 1 (pro/carb)

206g grilled chicken breast fillet - 66g pro
    75g oates - 45g carbs

MEAL 2 (pro/fat)

3 tbsp - 42g fat

MEAL 3 (pro)

cup of brocolli

MEAL 4 (pro/carb) PWO Nutrition

79g whey protein - 66g pro
    80g dextrose - 80g carbs

MEAL 5 (pro/carb) PWO Meal

75g oates - 45g carbs
    cup of brocolli

MEAL 6 (pro/fat)

3 tbsp flax oil - 42g fat

Protein 400g , Carbs 170g and fat 84g. I know this is not exact. I think it is roughly 3036 calories. So their it is mate,let me know what you think. Is everything look good or or would you change anything.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    I consider myself an unofficial student of Narks First things first, there is no supplemental fat in this style of cutting, all fat will come from your protein and carb sources, so lose the flax, second your numbers are wrong, there is fat in both chicken and oats. Third, I, or Nark, will need your Body fat before being able to calculate your caloric needs using the Katch-McArdle formula. I can tell you right now that your carbs are going to need to go way up, and obviously when you ditch the oil, your fats will come way down. Give me a BF number and I will figure out your macros for you. Food choices, other than the flax are fine, nice and simple, thats how I do it

Hi mate, I thought that the iKatch-McArdle formula was based on lean bodyweight so if i have excess bodyfat then the formula will be incorrect. I know that i have the numbers wrong with the chicken and oates but i have been reading the food facts on the food as best as i can. As for the carbs I am unsure how much to consume. I need a little tweaking guy's. As for bodyfat percentage i am unsure. This may help. 231lbs,196cm tall and 26 yrs old. Pics are rubbish but all i have just now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nark-073.jpg   Nark-074.jpg   Nark-075.jpg   Nark-076.jpg  

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ Use that for food facts. The point of Katch-McArdle is that you are only accounting for LBM, you arent eating for your fat so to speak. I will use these pics, come up with a rough BF number and base your macros on that....After that just use the macros and the link I just gave you to figure out how much of each food you need at each meal.

ok mate,thanks,this helps me a lot.

OK, I have your calories around 3860. 434g carbs, 396g protein, 60g fat....Now the fat and protein numbers are just estimates. Here is the way this works, carbs are always 45% of the diet, that stays constant, also like I said, dont take in any extra fat, it should all come from the oats and chicken. You need to track what this number is and then adjust your protein intake accordingly to make sure that you come as close to the 3860 calories while keeping carbs constant at around 434g, for example, if you are taking in say only 50g of fat, then you would need to take that protein number up by about 23g. Do you see what I mean? You will have to play with the numbers a bit, but the carbs stay constant. Your cardio plan sounds fine, if you habe never done AM fasted cardio before you may want to start at around 40 minutes and see how you feel, 60 may be overkill anyhow, especially since you have a physically active job.

You will need to try to track your BF weekly and make changes to your calorie intake when needed. Go to the first page of Nark and Novas thread and use the Katch-McArdle formula, then like i said, carbs should be 45% of the calories and the remainder is worked out between fat and protein. Here is a formula to ESTIMATE body fat, is definately far from exact, but it is better than nothing and will give you some sort of starting point. I know this diet may look crazy, your prob thinking 434c when cutting is insane, but you gotta trust me on this one, this works. All that low-carb cutting is crap. High input, high output, its the way to go. However, this is not a lazy mans cutting diet, you have to keep up on the cardio and your lifting sessions have to be intense. Try to keep rest periods in-between sets to 1 min-1.5 mins. This shiiit works man, got me from about 15.5% to 10% in about 6 weeks.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-f...at-formula.php

ok mate,thanks,i am going to have to go over this a few times as I get a little confused with it sometimes. I will try my best and post my updated diet tommorrow.

Sounds good. Dont let it overwhelm you, just start with the total calorie number and the carb number and work from there.

thanks again. think i would be lost sometimes without people like you.to help.

Eh no problem man. Nark helped me and now its my job to pass it along to others. Thats the way it goes.

Oh mate,before i go, if i am dropping fat then i will have to add carbs into other meals. should i have carbs in all meals apart from the last meal ?

no and yes. That why i said carbs stay constant at that number, always stay as close as possible to that number, adjust protein if fat changes. And yes, thats how I do it, carbs in all meals except my pre-bed meal.

So your looking at about 86 carbs a meal.

Scarface69 is offline Associate Member
    abbot, just wondering where did you come with the 45% carbs number? is this based on cutting or bulking?

also you say that there is no need for fat supplements like flax and that fat should come from chicken and oats. I dont think that the fat in chicken and oats contains the EFA's and omgas 3,6 and 9. you need to have the correct ratio of 3 and 6 which is 2:1. correct me if i'm wrong?

Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101 Its all right here my friend. Not your conventional way of cutting, but it is beyond effective. Enjoy!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface69 View Post
    abbot, just wondering where did you come with the 45% carbs number? is this based on cutting or bulking?

also you say that there is no need for fat supplements like flax and that fat should come from chicken and oats. I dont think that the fat in chicken and oats contains the EFA's and omgas 3,6 and 9. you need to have the correct ratio of 3 and 6 which is 2:1. correct me if i'm wrong?
    And you are right about the EFA's tho. They are vital for general health. This is def not an on-going, maintenance type diet, it is purely for cutting and more specifically, to get yourself down to around the 9%-10% level.

Scarface69 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    And you are right about the EFA's tho. They are vital for general health. This is def not an on-going, maintenance type diet, it is purely for cutting and more specifically, to get yourself down to around the 9%-10% level.
    I do understand your point. however I still do think that depending entirely on the fat from the food you eat isnt enough and that including fat supplemnts to your diet weither your cutting or bulking is essential. I've had no problem doing so and dropping my BF from 16 to 8% in 10 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface69 View Post
    I do understand your point. however I still do think that depending entirely on the fat from the food you eat isnt enough and that including fat supplemnts to your diet weither your cutting or bulking is essential. I've had no problem doing so and dropping my BF from 16 to 8% in 10 weeks.
    More than one way to skin a cat my friend. Take it up with Nark, these are his theories.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Abbot... Well done.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155 View Post
    Nark. I have put together a cutting diet to try and get my bodyfat to the -10% region before I start my lean bulking diet. Can you let me know what you think and what changes you would make.

A little info before I write my diet. 26 years old,196cm tall and 231 lbs. I train 5 days a week free weights,Mon-Fri and was intending to do 60 mins cardio flat out,Mon -Fri morning on an empty stomach as I am starting this cutting diet. Have never done cardio before on empty stomach. So here goes with the diet.

MEAL 1 (pro/carb)

75g oates - 45g carbs

MEAL 2 (pro/fat)

3 tbsp - 42g fat

MEAL 3 (pro)

cup of brocolli

MEAL 4 (pro/carb) PWO Nutrition

80g dextrose - 80g carbs

MEAL 5 (pro/carb) PWO Meal

75g oates - 45g carbs
    cup of brocolli

MEAL 6 (pro/fat)

3 tbsp flax oil - 42g fat

Protein 400g , Carbs 170g and fat 84g. I know this is not exact. I think it is roughly 3036 calories. So their it is mate,let me know what you think. Is everything look good or or would you change anything.

Hey mate: Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

-CNS

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Abbot... Well done.

-CNS
    Thank ya sir...Just tryin to spread the good word!

texasmk4 is offline Associate Member
    abbot what type of food you use to consume most of your carbs intake?? i.e Brown rice, sweet potato and oats???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4 View Post
    abbot what type of food you use to consume most of your carbs intake?? i.e Brown rice, sweet potato and oats???
    If he's been adhering strictly to the outline, it'd be tubers primarily.

i.e. sweet potatoes and potatoes.

-CNS

If he's been adhering strictly to the outline, it'd be tubers primarily.

i.e. sweet potatoes and potatoes.

-CNS
    Nothing but sweet taters

Blog Entries
    w/ regard to EFAs et. al.

Like protein, the debates will always rage about how much is 'necessary' or 'optimal'.

Personally I feel that most people get enough fat... and most bodybuilding enthusiasts get more than enough protein.

That being said, it now becomes a matter of paring it down to the optimum amount... and relegating intake to quality sources solely.

Lighter people need less supplemental fats obviously.

However, the bodybuilding mantra is 'X = good.. so 2X= better'... So we have 150-180 lb athletes consuming the same amount of supplemental fat and protein as 250 + lb athletes.

Which is a joke.

I am not against supplemental fats.. and i do include small amounts in meals where the protein source is fat-free.

Small amounts tru-out the day.

20% of overall calories.. no more.

For someone who is 250 lbs... 20% translates into an obviously higher gram amount than for someone who is sub-200 (like many posters are on the boards).

Ergo, the heavier you are (w/ relation to LBM), the more prevalent the role of supplemental fats would be in your daily diet.

-CNS

Blog Entries
    Nothing but sweet taters
    And it's showing

Have you been using GDAs as well?

If yes did you opt for natural GDAs... or pharmaceutical?

-C

And it's showing

Have you been using GDAs as well?

If yes did you opt for natural GDAs... or pharmaceutical?

-C
    Thanks bro. Yeah I use R-ALA just because I was relatively familiar with it to begin with, supplementing it with Biotin, of course.
    Last edited by abbot138; 07-11-2008 at 01:12 PM.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ Use that for food facts. The point of Katch-McArdle is that you are only accounting for LBM, you arent eating for your fat so to speak. I will use these pics, come up with a rough BF number and base your macros on that....After that just use the macros and the link I just gave you to figure out how much of each food you need at each meal.

thats food facts is a bit confusing?? have you ever tried calorie king or fitday?? how do you figure out the calories and protein factor if you're eating 500 grams of chicken breast a day?

Its easy, type in chicken as keyword, select chicken, breast, meat, only (and then either roasted or raw, depending on if your wieghing it before or after cooking), and then use the top weight measurement box and put in 5, the top box is multiplied by 100 grams, so for instance if you wanted to measure 350 grams, you would type in 3.5.

you are the man abbot, appreciate all the help you have been doing... we are fortunate to have members like you on this board.

Thread Information